• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Braves defeating the Marlins 4-1 today in Atlanta, the Mets were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.
nooooooo.gif

At the end of play on July 25, the Pirates were tied with the Cardinals for first place in the NL Central with a 53-47 record. They went 14-33 since. They totally collapsed after the 19-inning marathon with the Braves that ended on one of the worst umpire calls in MLB history.

turnbuckle

Square Triangle said:
I'm not giving up yet but this is Pennys shit. Let up multiple runs early on EVERY GAME and pray the offense picks your ass up.

Sounds like Penny will be left off the playoff roster. I'm glad he does poorly just so it doesn't leave any doubt about sitting him in the playoffs.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
At the end of play on July 25, the Pirates were tied with the Cardinals for first place in the NL Central with a 53-47 record. They went 14-33 since. They totally collapsed after the 19-inning marathon with the Braves that ended on one of the worst umpire calls in MLB history.

Hadn't they lost three straight going into that game? I think that single game is way overblown.

hemtae

eznark said:
Hadn't they lost three straight going into that game? I think that single game is way overblown.

They won two going into that game. But before that they had lost 3 straight which was when all the bad stuff seems to have started

According to a source familiar with the situation, Mike Cameron was released by the Marlins on Monday because of an incident with a flight attendant on the club’s charter flight from Pittsburgh to Atlanta Sunday. The incident between the two was serious enough for the charter company to file a complaint.

The Marlins would not comment on the matter beyond acknowledging Cameron was released for conduct detrimental to the team. Attempts to reach Cameron’s agent Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Cameron struck out in a pinch-hit appearance Monday in the Marlins' 5-4, 12-inning victory against the Braves and was released after the game.

eznark

Banned
hemtae said:
They won two going into that game. But before that they had lost 3 straight which was when all the bad stuff seems to have started

Ah. I knew they had a losing streak right before, I thought it coincided with that game.

I guess it's easier to blame one call for the pitching staff completely collapsing than admitting your pitching staff is shitty.

God damn it Cameron.

verbum

JABEE said:
Roy Halladay is CY Young! Phillies make the playoffs.

Denton True "Cy" Young (March 29, 1867 – November 4, 1955) has 511 wins, ahead of Walter Johnson.
Mr Halladay has a ways to go yet. 186 wins so far.

Doytch

Adrian left the game with a hamstring injury? I don't give a shit about my roto team anymore so LETS GO RAYS.

We did our part Tampa...

It's kind of amazing to think that if the Yankees go 10-5 in their last 15 games they would have a 100 win season. I don't think they will do that, but it's still pretty amazing when you think about the mishmash pitching rotation we've had all year, that we could still fall ass-backwards into a 100 win season.

hemtae

SuperMalo said:
How much time is he going to miss, if any ?

Francona said he hopes he can play Thursday so it doesn't sound like anything too serious.

I'm still mashing the panic button regardless

beast786

AnEternalEnigma said:
You do have to wonder if the Tigers are peaking two weeks too early. They are due for some regression.

People dont realize this has been going longer than just past 12 games. This run includes beating angels 2 out of 3, and Tampa in Tampa 3 out of 4.

turnbuckle

12 in a row!

Peaking too early? That's absurd. It's not like every team is guaranteed to go on a run in a season. Damn, I wish Raburn would've saved his home run for later this year.

Malo

Banned
hemtae said:
Francona said he hopes he can play Thursday so it doesn't sound like anything too serious.

I'm still mashing the panic button regardless
That's good news for the sox and my fantasy team lol.

I can't lie the Yankees fan in me wants the sox to collapse so I can laugh my ass off to a couple of my friends, but It won't happen they're not the mets.

:p

beast786

turnbuckle said:
Nope. It was 4. I tried correcting you before but you just don't listen dammit!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings

It was 3. As it shows. Since they just won. It is 2.

Trust me.

Edit. But they are up 13 and 13.5 games with only 14 left. My math says 2

Take the number of games yet to be played, add one, then subtract the number of games ahead in the loss column of the standings from the closest opponent.

Rays gotta win today.

Yanks gotta win tonight.

I'm not going to get excited about Red Sox tanking or anything like that, though.

Selig made sure to schedule like, 1,000 games between the Yankees/Red Sox/Rays before the end of the season to ensure that the Red Sox will have to tank even worse than the Mets to fall out of the race.

turnbuckle

beast786 said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings

It was 3. As it shows. Since they just won. It is 2.

Trust me.

Edit. Maybe you are right. But they are up 13 and 13.5 games with only 14 left. My math says 2

It is definitely 3.

Cleveland is 13 games back with 17 to play. If they go 17-0 they'll be 89-73

Detroit has 13 to play. If they go 2-11 they will finish 89-73

Trust me.

---

Where you're getting confused is because Cleveland and Chicago had different elimination #s. Chicago's elimination # was 4 yesterday and it's 2 today.
Cleveland's elimination # was 3 yesterday and it's still 3 up to this point.

(Cleveland has 3 more games to play than chicago, so even though they had a worse winning percentage yesterday they still had a higher elimination #)

beast786

turnbuckle said:
It is definitely 3.

Cleveland is 13 games back with 17 to play. If they go 17-0 they'll be 89-73

Detroit has 13 to play. If they go 2-11 they will finish 89-73

Trust me.

True. then Yahoo sucks.

Regardless.

*\o/*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom