• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
An A-Bomb! From A-Rod!

eO6Do.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Mets can help knock the Braves out of the playoffs.

This is the closest the Mets have been to meaningful September baseball in a while.

darkside31337 said:
The Mets can help knock the Braves out of the playoffs.

This is the closest the Mets have been to meaningful September baseball in a while.

R.A. Dickey has a career 7.07 ERA in Turner Field. Tim Hudson in 11-1 in day games since 2010 (the one loss came last Sunday to St. Louis).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
R.A. Dickey has a career 7.07 ERA in Turner Field. Tim Hudson in 11-1 in day games since 2010 (the one loss came last Sunday to St. Louis).

Gonna be even sweeter now when Dickey unloads on you guys.

Though I think I'd rather see the Braves in the playoffs than the Cardinals, shrug.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
SPEA said:
Rivera. 1 more! :)
Rivera is the only reliever of this generation that should be in the hall (and even that is up for debate), if anyone else gets in it will be embarrassing. Sadly, Hoffman will probably get in.

edit: that was a non-mvp groundout by wright

Windu said:
Rivera is the only reliever of this generation that should be in the hall (and even that is up for debate), if anyone else gets in it will be embarrassing. Sadly, Hoffman will probably get in.

what?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:

No. Wrong.

Windu

well the debate basically is whether or not his numbers are good enough when you compare him to with the rest of the pitchers out there (aka starters). That is where the debate is, no reliever is going to have numbers like a hall of fame starter and whether they should be in is debatable. But, he is the best reliever of his generation so that is probably good enough.

clemenx

Banned
If Mariano was an asshole or had he had the same exact career numbers (minus all rings) with a team like the A's would he get as much HOF consideration? Probably yes, thanks to stupid selections like Sutter but I feel most of his weigh is thanks to "lol yankees mistique and aura"
I see where Windu is coming from, but debating Mariano in the HOF is sort of blasphemous.

Sharp

Mo is the greatest closer of all time on any team. He has the best ERA+ of anyone, ever. He's a lock for the Hall. Hell, he was a lock if he retired five years ago. That's without factoring in his postseason success or the fact that he's on the Yankees.

jman2050

Windu said:
well the debate basically is whether or not his numbers are good enough when you compare him to with the rest of the pitchers out there (aka starters). That is where the debate is, no reliever is going to have numbers like a hall of fame starter and whether they should be in is debatable. But, he is the best reliever of his generation so that is probably good enough.

If you want to talk strictly sabermetrically, Mariano has a career ~55 bWAR and ~38 fWAR. The quick and lazy cutoff for Hall of Fame consideration is around 50 or so.

To add additional context, fWAR relies solely on FIP, which means it operates under the assumption that Mariano's career BABIP is all defense-dependent, when one can easily make the argument that his ability to suppress his BABIP is in fact a skill. bWAR uses runs allowed which is why his WAR is higher there.

Then there's his career 0.71 ERA in almost 140 postseason innings. I'm pretty sure that will be taken into account too.

Even if you completely ignore the FIP thing, WAR does not take leverage into account at all. The fact that Mariano has historically on-average pitched in far more high-leverage situations then your typical starting pitcher absolutely should be taken into account. Hardball Times did exactly this in this article. By applying Mariano's leverage index to his innings pitched and taking his postseason into account, the writer determined that, given the data he had at the time, Mariano was sabermetrically a borderline Hall of Famer, and only because he had pitched so few innings at the time.

Oh by the way, I should mention that that article I just linked was written seven and a half years ago.

So no, there is no real debate about this at all whether looking at him from a traditional viewpoint or a sabermetric one.

The Braves are getting clowned by R.A. Dickey. 1 hit, 2 walks over 6 innings. Only 69 pitches through 6. Thankfully, Hudson's been just as good.

Windu

well my debate is whether relievers should be in the hall. so i think its up for debate no matter how good he has been. Anyway, i'd vote for him so meh.

edit: i just realized that prado was back in the #2 spot, son of a bitch.

Windu said:

I... what the fuck are you talking about?? What stats of is don't measure up to the HoF?

Windu said:
well my debate is whether relievers should be in the hall. so i think its up for debate no matter how good he has been. Anyway, i'd vote for him so meh.

edit: i just realized that prado was back in the #2 spot, son of a bitch.

Oh, wow. You're just, you're just an idiot. There's no nice way to say it. You're an idiot.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't think Mariano belongs in the hall either.

I'm taking this crazy stance just because Yankees fans being completely agitated is one of my pleasures as a baseball fan.

Windu

relievers just don't pitch enough so that is why i think its up for debate

and the cutoff for WAR is usually around 60 or so.

Doytch

Windu said:
relievers just don't pitch enough so that is why i think its up for debate

and the cutoff for WAR is usually around 60 or so.
Dude he has the highest range factor of any active pitcher. HOF total.

Windu

verbum said:
Old guys showing the youngsters how it is done. Props to Constanza for the bunt. If Kimbrel can hold the lead next inning.
well it was a dumb decision to bunt anyway...but i guess it was a good bunt.

Doytch

Bunts are so hilariously retarded. Can't believe Boston keeps doing it. :lol

And was pretty ballsy using Moore for 2 innings, IMO.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Doytch said:
Bunts are so hilariously retarded. Can't believe Boston keeps doing it. :lol

And was pretty ballsy using Moore for 2 innings, IMO.

Considering it was him or JP Howell it wasn't that absurd.

Would rather see Moore for a 3rd inning than Farnsy too.

Doytch

darkside31337 said:
Considering it was him or JP Howell it wasn't that absurd.

Would rather see Moore for a 3rd inning than Farnsy too.
Oh shi.

I think it's the right move, it's just pretty ballsy leaving a rookie in there for three with your season on the line. Hipster Manager 4ever.

Doytch

Y2Kev said:
lolol @ the shaved goatee on adrian gonazales
He basically looks like the legion meat-market-club-hopping latinos I remember from San Diego. Except he weighs way more.

LOLOLOL FOX cameraman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom