• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

darkside31337 said:
It's sad that Red Sox fans don't realize that they have become everything they once hated. The Red Sox are no longer the lovable underdogs. They are a filthy dynasty, becoming everything they once hated. They are the New York Yankees.
rbe0dk-1.gif

Malo

Banned
Culex said:
I think they'll come back with game two, but if they DO lose tonight.....
I expect them to win as well with Matuz pitching tonight, but Lackey is pretty bad too so you never know.

jman2050

Only fitting that one of the greatest Yankees of all time would reach one of the ultimate milestones of his craft...

...against the Minnesota Twins.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
SuperMalo said:
I expect them to win as well with Matuz pitching tonight, but Lackey is pretty bad too so you never know.
Matusz has been terrible in all but like 2 starts (one of those was Oakland, I think the other was Seattle). He was never overpowering, and he lost velocity with that off-season injury. I expect him to get rocked for like 7 runs in 2.1.

Malo

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:
Matusz has been terrible in all but like 2 starts (one of those was Oakland, I think the other was Seattle). He was never overpowering, and he lost velocity with that off-season injury. I expect him to get rocked for like 7 runs in 2.1.
I expect him to get rocked as well, but you underestimate the suck of Lackey.

Congrats to Mo, greatest relief pitcher of all time.

The greatest reliever of all-time.
The greatest closer of all time.
A man who has dominated everyone with a bat for 16 years with one pitch - a pitch you know is coming, and still can't do anything about.
A quiet, humble man, who just does work and goes home.
Nails in the regular season. Nails in the postseason. Nails all the time. Nigh-invincible.
The one Yankee even the hating-est Yankee hater has to agree on.
His efficacy is such where consecutive meaningless blown saves in April or August or something is cause for concern (because it's so out of the ordinary).

God bless you, Mariano Rivera.

Rivera%20Entering%20Game%206.jpg

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
It's sad that Red Sox fans don't realize that they have become everything they once hated. The Red Sox are no longer the lovable underdogs. They are a filthy dynasty, becoming everything they once hated. They are the New York Yankees.
They've become John Cena.

captmcblack said:
The greatest reliever of all-time.
The greatest closer of all time.
A man who has dominated everyone with a bat for 16 years with one pitch - a pitch you know is coming, and still can't do anything about.
A quiet, humble man, who just does work and goes home.
Nails in the regular season. Nails in the postseason. Nails all the time. Nigh-invincible.
The one Yankee even the hating-est Yankee hater has to agree on.
His efficacy is such where consecutive meaningless blown saves in April or August or something is cause for concern (because it's so out of the ordinary).

God bless you, Mariano Rivera.

http://www.hsart.com/images/Rivera%20Entering%20Game%206.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TbXGr.gif

verbum

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:

I seem to remember a certain Red Sox fan talking about how awesome the Red Sox were and how they were going to cruise to the playoffs. They were unbeatable.
This was back in July of 2011 I believe.

Counting chickens.....

Ninja Scooter said:
Saves are a worthless stat it's not like Mariano wasn't the best closer ever already 5 years ago

People used that number to argue other people, like the pretender Trevor Hoffman.
Other closers were said to be better, based on any number of metrics, like number of innings pitched, or innings per save, and whathaveyou.
Other closers have been said to be his equal or the new Mo at random points in his career, like K-Rod, Gagne, Papelbon, Lidge, Foulke and so on.

The quest to unanimous, unwavering respect and admiration of who he is/what he does is littered with the bones of closers who flamed out, or were flashes in the pan, or couldn't sustain their efficacy. Since 1996, the other teams have literally gone through dozens of potential closers and hundreds of potential setup men and other relievers, looking to find what Yankees fans have watched stably for 16 years.

Death, taxes, #42. The LAST #42 for all-time.

Today, Mariano Rivera took the last argument for those that wish to name other names away.
Today, there is no other answer for "who is the best relief pitcher to ever play baseball".
It will be that way forever.

hemtae

verbum said:
I seem to remember a certain Red Sox fan talking about how awesome the Red Sox were and how they were going to cruise to the playoffs. They were unbeatable.

Counting chickens.....

This is a kind of cruise. Its like that Carnival cruise last year

captmcblack said:
People used that number to argue other people, like the pretender Trevor Hoffman.
Other closers were said to be better, based on any number of metrics, like number of innings pitched, or innings per save, and whathaveyou.
Other closers have been said to be his equal or the new Mo at random points in his career, like K-Rod, Gagne, Papelbon, Lidge, Foulke and so on.

The quest to unanimous, unwavering respect and admiration of who he is/what he does is littered with the bones of closers who flamed out, or were flashes in the pan, or couldn't sustain their efficacy. Since 1996, the other teams have literally gone through dozens of potential closers and hundreds of potential setup men and other relievers, looking to find what Yankees fans have watched stably for 16 years.

Death, taxes, #42. The LAST #42 for all-time.

Today, Mariano Rivera took the last argument for those that wish to name other names away.
Today, there is no other answer for "who is the best relief pitcher to ever play baseball".
It will be that way forever.
But Trevor Hoffman is still better brah.

Sanjuro

verbum said:

Counting chickens.....
Not sure who that certain Red Sox fan was. I can tell you it certainly wasn't me.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
congrats to rivera for being able to hold a 3 run lead

Yeah Mariano Rivera really doesn't belong in the hall of fame. Should be an interesting debate in 15 years or so when he finally decides to retire.

Sanjuro

Mo doesn't deserve to go to the hall of game. Failed starter. Replace AJ with him for next season.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
And being great at it.
Who has the better intro though, Enter the Sandman or Hell's Bells?
El Guapo came out to Taco Bells.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
jman2050 said:
Only fitting that one of the greatest Yankees of all time would reach one of the ultimate milestones of his craft...

...against the New Britain Rock Cats.
He should probably only get half a save for that given the quality of his opponent.

Sanjuro

Branduil said:
The Red Sox aren't as bad as the Yankees, but they're certainly not lovable underachievers who torment their fanbase any more. They're more like Yankees-lite.
Sure. I don't know many people who have viewed things like this for years now.

The Red Sox now are just like the Yankees, except without the long historical relevance to the sport or the championships.

So really, nothing's changed.

They're the Kennedy Fried Chicken to the Yankees' Popeye's.

Branduil said:
The Red Sox aren't as bad as the Yankees, but they're certainly not lovable underachievers who torment their fanbase any more. They're more like Yankees-lite.

No one's thought they were lovable underachievers for six years, including Red Sox fans.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Love all the Yankees haters. God, it feels so good rooting for a team that you know has an excellent chance of making the postseason every year.

Don't hate just because you happened to be born in an area with a shitty team.

Sanjuro

captmcblack said:
The Red Sox now are just like the Yankees, except without the long historical relevance to the sport or the championships.

So really, nothing's changed.

They're the Kennedy Fried Chicken to the Yankees' Popeye's.
Racists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom