• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 19

[U]AMERICAN LEAGUE[/U]
Tigers  -- 100% (clinched AL Central title 9/16)
Yankees -- 99.6% (lead AL East by 5.0; 10 games remaining)
Rangers -- 98.1% (lead AL West by 5.0; 9 games remaining)
Red Sox -- 90.7% (lead AL Wild Card by 2.0; 8 games remaining)
Rays    -- 8.9% (trail AL Wild Card by 2.0; 10 games remaining)
Angels  -- 2.6% (trail AL Wild Card by 4.5; 9 games remaining)

[U]NATIONAL LEAGUE[/U]
Phillies     -- 100% (clinched NL East title 9/17)
Brewers      -- 99.9% (lead NL Central by 5.5; 8 games remaining)
Diamondbacks -- 99.0% (lead NL West by 5.0; 9 games remaining)
Braves       -- 78.2% (lead NL Wild Card by 2.5; 8 games remaining)
Cardinals    -- 17.7% (trail NL Wild Card by 2.5; 9 games remaining)
Giants       -- 5.2% (trail NL Wild Card by 3.5; 9 games remaining)

[U]MATHEMATICAL ELIMINATIONS[/U]
-- Blue Jays, AL Wild Card
-- Indians, AL Wild Card

Braves in free fall. Go Giants!

ToxicAdam said:
Working for ESPN must suck balls. Every guy jumps the first chance he gets.
Yea I remember Dan Patrick on his radio show pretty much saying that. Said they would work force people to work crazy hours with no real chance of improving in the company.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dmncnby2k9 said:
Yea I remember Dan Patrick on his radio show pretty much saying that. Said they would work force people to work crazy hours with no real chance of improving in the company.

I don't know it seemed to me like Kenny didn't really have anywhere to go up considering he was basically the lead Boxing guy on the network, had his own radio show and only did primetime Sportscenters without being forced onto the eons of garbage programming on the mothership. It must just suck to work at ESPN.

Guess he really liked the nice raise he's getting baseball.

Brian Kenny really isn't ruining anything assuming he's half as good covering baseball as he does boxing. I'm sure he'll do fine. Considering some of the crap (mostly certain former ESPN guys) they have on MLBN right now he's a welcome addition.

h3ro

eznark said:
I hate that these guys are going and ruining places like NFLN and MLBN.

Brian Kenney is fantastic! He knows his stuff and articulates much better than the average dumbass these networks hire. Definitely not a TBAG. Him and Max Kellerman were such a great duo.

... :(

fucking cowherd.

h3ro said:
Brian Kenney is fantastic! He knows his stuff and articulates much better than the average dumbass these networks hire. Definitely not a TBAG. Him and Max Kellerman were such a great duo.

... :(

fucking cowherd.
Kellerman and Kenny worked in Espn NY together rite?

h3ro

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Kellerman and Kenny worked in Espn NY together rite?
Yup! Boxing, Wu-Tang and Sabermetrics. Good times.

clemenx said:
Sure he is! Best one inning pitcher ever.

2H8Nw.jpg

SPEA

darkside31337 said:
Mo is definitely the greatest one inning pitcher ever.

w5kpn.jpg

My own personal favorite Mo memory of all time.
Never said he wasn't human. Gotta give other people a shot. :)

Not sure if you're aware, but he has 42 post season saves. 42 saves against the best teams in baseball. His ERA ain't to good though in post season...wait...it's 0.71.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SPEA said:
Never said he wasn't human. Gotta give other people a shot. :)

Not sure if you're aware, but he has 42 post season saves. 42 saves against the best teams in baseball. His ERA ain't to good though in post season...wait...it's 0.71.

I know. Mo is amazing and basically god out there on the mound. That Diamondbacks - Yankees WS is one of my favorite ones of all time with one of the most surreal finishes ever to top it off.

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:

http://i.imgur.com/w5kpn.jpg[IMG]

My own personal favorite Mo memory of all time.[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/x94Bn.jpg
That's one of my favorites.

jman2050

darkside31337 said:

w5kpn.jpg

My own personal favorite Mo memory of all time.

For the Diamondbacks, the day they scratched out a win against Mariano Rivera in game 7 was the most important day of their entire lives.

For Mariano, it was Sunday.

Honestly, Mo did them a solid and allowed them to win. Luis Gonzalez can feed his kids off of that hit for all time, and the D-Backs were saved from contraction with that victory.

Mariano is a truly great man; even his rare errors help the community!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Y2Kev said:
And then Luis Gonzalez was found to be a steroid user and everyone realized he was a shitty human

He was never mentioned in anything. Guilty by association, that'd mean that every single Yankee who wore the pinstripes from about 1990 to 2005 were juicing. Including Mo.

jman2050

Yankees fans always direct their rage at Luis Gonzalez when all he did was hit a shitty soft shallow line drive that happened to fall in because Torre brought in the infield in.

The real backbreaker that inning was Tony Womack's double.

SPEA

jman2050 said:
Yankees fans always direct their rage at Luis Gonzalez when all he did was hit a shitty soft shallow line drive that happened to fall in because Torre brought in the infield in.

The real backbreaker that inning was Tony Womack's double.
Yup. Womack's was definitely the hit that put Mo in trouble. Gonzalez's was a simple out in any "normal" defense. Just got unlucky that day.

Luis Gonzalez, just like Jose Bautista, never juiced.

He was just a mediocre player that never really hit for average or power and then joined the D-backs, casually had a 50HR season and hit for average, and then just went back to career numbers right around BALCO and Barry Bonds and retired just as soon as people started having to talk about it to Congress and stuff.

That shit's all batting eye, guys.

Again, the most important thing here is that the D-backs should thank based Mo for their existence. Without him graciously allowing them a taste of success (after the Yankees mercilessly abused their team and bullpen with some of the best late-inning heroics ever), they'd have been contracted or moved to Mexico or something.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Curtis Granderson has hit 30 HR before, though.

And Curtis Granderson is in Yankee Stadium for 81 games.
And Curtis Granderson is in a lineup where it may be considered safer to pitch to him than it is to A-Rod, or Tex, or Cano, or Swisher - the other guys in the lineup who will have/could have 30HRs.
And his improvement in HR hitting corresponds nicely to his newfound ability to hit lefties.

Now you know who's on roids? Jacoby Ellsbury. Like, he's got that extra good spirit quest shit straight out of a grave on the reservation.

SPEA

jman2050 said:
Nah. Nothing unlucky about blowing two defensive plays in succession and then allowing a double to a piece of shit hitter like Womack.
It's unlucky if you've followed Mo's career. He's pretty much near perfect and is said to be the best all around athlete on the team.

ToxicAdam

That is a great article, thanks for the heads up.

Here's another JoePo stat:

The lowest batting averages to win the MVP:

1. Marty Marion, .267 (1944)
2. Roger Maris, .269 (1961)
3. Johnny Bench, .270 (1970)
(tie) Hank Sauer, .270 (1952)
5. Yogi Berra, .272 (1955)

The lowest batting average to win the last 25 years? Andre Dawson's .287 back in 1987.

He uses it to show how fixated (the media) has become on batting average and measuring a player's worth. It was in regards to how Curtis Granderson is being dismissed as a top-tier MVP candidate.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ToxicAdam said:
He uses it to show how fixated (the media) has become on batting average and measuring a player's worth. It was in regards to how Curtis Granderson is being dismissed as a top-tier MVP candidate.

Are you telling me that Ben Zobrist and Ian Kinsler will never win a MVP? I don't know how to deal with this sadness :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom