• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkside31337 said:
Until Bud Selig steps down Montreal will never get a baseball team again.

I also wanted to mention that you don't have to worry about this now. AnimeGAF got him :(
Saw that. The Expos will be back soon, probably a little after global warming starts.

And put Worley in the rotation, Oswalt's career is done.

Fatalah

Doytch said:
miami-marlins-cap.jpg

super_mario_revolution.jpg

Man, I always loved the "F" with the fish. Though the logo is merely 20 years old, it's a classic!

Wholesale-Free-shipping-Newera-caps-hats-Florida-Marlins-caps-baseball-fitted-hats-caps.jpg

Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 24

[U]AMERICAN LEAGUE[/U]
Tigers  -- 100% (clinched AL Central title 9/16)
Yankees -- 100% (clinched AL East title 9/21)
Rangers -- 100% (clinched AL West title 9/23)
Red Sox -- 87.8% (lead AL Wild Card by 1.5; 5 games remaining)
Rays    -- 9.8% (trail AL Wild Card by 1.5; 4 games remaining)
Angels  -- 2.4% (trail AL Wild Card by 2.5; 4 games remaining)

[U]NATIONAL LEAGUE[/U]
Phillies     -- 100% (clinched NL East title 9/17)
Diamondbacks -- 100% (clinched NL West title 9/23)
Brewers      -- 100% (clinched NL Central title 9/23)
Braves       -- 84.0% (lead NL Wild Card by 2.0; 4 games remaining)
Cardinals    -- 16.0% (trail NL Wild Card by 2.0; 4 games remaining)

[U]MATHEMATICAL ELIMINATIONS[/U]
-- Giants, NL Wild Card

AnEternalEnigma said:
Code:
Playoff Odds at the end of September 24

[U]AMERICAN LEAGUE[/U]
Tigers  -- 100% (clinched AL Central title 9/16)
Yankees -- 100% (clinched AL East title 9/21)
Rangers -- 100% (clinched AL West title 9/23)
Red Sox -- 87.8% (lead AL Wild Card by 1.5; 5 games remaining)
Rays    -- 9.8% (trail AL Wild Card by 1.5; 4 games remaining)
Angels  -- 2.4% (trail AL Wild Card by 2.5; 4 games remaining)

[U]NATIONAL LEAGUE[/U]
Phillies     -- 100% (clinched NL East title 9/17)
Diamondbacks -- 100% (clinched NL West title 9/23)
Brewers      -- 100% (clinched NL Central title 9/23)
Braves       -- 84.0% (lead NL Wild Card by 2.0; 4 games remaining)
Cardinals    -- 16.0% (trail NL Wild Card by 2.0; 4 games remaining)

[U]MATHEMATICAL ELIMINATIONS[/U]
-- Giants, NL Wild Card

By the end of tomorrow there might be a tie for AL the Wild Card. Along with a double header of baseball, and football all day long. My head might explode.

Doytch

weekend_warrior said:
By the end of tomorrow there might be a tie for AL the Wild Card. Along with a double header of baseball, and football all day long. My head might explode.
Thankfully I don't have to watch the former, so I can avoid the latter.

JABEE

I hope the Phillies don't continue to play like the games don't matter.

I'm really hoping the Phillies series against the Braves will spark them. They have been playing terribly since handling the Brewers while playing a lot of bench players.

JABEE said:
I hope the Phillies don't continue to play like the games don't matter.

I'm really hoping the Phillies series against the Braves will spark them. They have been playing terribly since handling the Brewers while playing a lot of bench players.

How long do you expect Lee and Oswalt to pitch on Monday and Wednesday? I honestly can't see Lee going any longer than 5. If the final game last year was any indication, I can't see Oswalt going any longer than 2.

JABEE

AnEternalEnigma said:
How long do you expect Lee and Oswalt to pitch on Monday and Wednesday? I honestly can't see Lee going any longer than 5. If the final game last year was any indication, I can't see Oswalt going any longer than 2.
I'm not really sure. I think the Phillies want them to be consistent with their routine. They will probably go as long as they can. They have plenty of time to rest because Lee wouldn't be pitching until next Sunday. Hamels has actually said he'd like to get some work in on short rest before the playoffs, but Rich Dubee may not want to do it. I'm expecting the Phillies to play the Braves hard this week though. Manuel basically said after the game that the next 4 games are going to show what we are. I'd expect the full lineup to at least start the game.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Kershaw wins the Cy Young hand down. That or the National League West is never going to shine again... I wish I had $1.2 Billion to borrow? I'd buy that franchise for sure... its my favorite... :(

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Not a Jellyfish said:
Kershaw wins the Cy Young hand down. That or the National League West is never going to shine again... I wish I had $1.2 Billion to borrow? I'd buy that franchise for sure... its my favorite... :(
You misspelled Roy Halladay.

Puddles

Banned
Is Hunter Pence the most overrated player of the last few years? I saw people hyping him up for MVP on another message board. He's basically 2009 Ethier with a little more speed and a little less power.

Windu said:
You misspelled Roy Halladay.

Fuck that.

Player A: 2.27 ERA, 0.99 WHIP, 242 SO, 53 BB, 20-5 record.
Player B: 2.41 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 217 SO, 34 BB, 18-6 record.

Which one of those guys is the Cy Young winner?

With their 15-2 drubbing courtesy of the Diamondbacks on Saturday night, the Giants were officially eliminated from NL Wild Card, stomping out any chance of defending their 2010 title in the playoffs. Since the three-division structure began in 1994, the 2011 Giants are now the 5th team to fail making the playoffs the next season after winning the World Series. The previous four teams to do it:

-- 1998 Florida Marlins
-- 2004 Florida Marlins
-- 2006 Chicago White Sox
-- 2007 St. Louis Cardinals

Poor, poor Red Sox... :(

Apparently, that 120-loss 1962 Mets team had a 6-18 September, so the Sox have a worse record than one of the worst teams of the modern era, in September that is, so far... however, for the 4 1/2 months before that the Red Sox had the best record in the majors, after their 2-10 start, that is. It's been an odd season.

So yeah, it's kind of strange, really, given how good they were for so long, versus how they've completely melted down this month. Sure, the starting pitching has been terrible -- apparently, so far in September the Sox starting pitchers are averaging less than five innings per game and have the highest ERA of any starting pitching staff in the league this month too, I think. The relievers have been overworked and have mostly been struggling, with Daniel Bard having four losses, and even Papelbon blew a save. There's one good reliever, but the rest... yeah. But the pitching isn't the whole story. The defense has been bad too -- they have 20-something errors this month, plus multiple other major mistakes that probably should have been errors, including two in yesterday's game. The offense has been mixed too, with a couple of 18-run games but then a lot where they barely manage anything, like tonight. So yeah, it's really been a failure on all levels.

Some people are trying to blame it all on the starting pitching -- "if we hadn't had so many starting pitcher injuries it'd all have been fine" -- but while those injuries (multiple starters out for half a season or more, lesser injuries to most of the others too, etc.), plus other important injuries like Youkilis's, are key, they aren't the whole reason. I mean, Jon Lester, who's supposed to be really good, has had three awful starts in a row now, including today's 2 2/3 inning, 8-run disaster, and Beckett got the loss, and gave up 6 runs, in his last start too, though he did go over 7 innings... the first time a Red Sox started had managed that since mid August.

So yeah, it's been bad. :(

eznark

Banned
Puddles said:
Is Hunter Pence the most overrated player of the last few years? I saw people hyping him up for MVP on another message board. He's basically 2009 Ethier with a little more speed and a little less power.

Fuck that.

I wonder what Halladays numbers would be if he pitched in the west.

Snaku

Banned
Fatalah said:
Man, I always loved the "F" with the fish. Though the logo is merely 20 years old, it's a classic!

Wholesale-Free-shipping-Newera-caps-hats-Florida-Marlins-caps-baseball-fitted-hats-caps.jpg

Agreed. The Marlins were my first team, having grown up in the Keys, and are still my NL team. At least when the Rays changed their name, their cap logo was a classy upgrade.

Doytch said:
What the fuck, is there seriously no Tampa broadcaster for this game...? Or does MLB.tv just not have them tonight.

Reminds me of when the Lightning were making their 2004 playoff run (and eventually won the Stanley Cup), they were constantly preempted for....Orlando Magic basketball! Their 36-46 run sure was magical.

Sharp

Why are the O's starting Matusz again? The only thing he had left to try for this season was the 'worst ERA ever' thing and now he might not even get that.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Sharp said:
Why are the O's starting Matusz again? The only thing he had left to try for this season was the 'worst ERA ever' thing and now he might not even get that.
Because Buck would "like to see him end the year on a good note." He's going to get killed again. He should have been shut down weeks ago.

jman2050

Sharp said:

Haha, you think his ERA is going to go down?

That's wishful thinking.

Sharp

jman2050 said:
Haha, you think his ERA is going to go down?

That's wishful thinking.
He could give up five runs in five innings, and it would still go down. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility dude. Just as a brilliant pitcher sometimes has a bad game, a craptastic pitcher can sometimes have an okay (or hell, even a slightly less terrible) one through no fault of his own. Then where will he be? Still a shitty pitcher but no longer even a footnote in the history books.

Doytch

Sharp said:
He could give up five runs in five innings, and it would still go down. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility dude. Just as a brilliant pitcher sometimes has a bad game, a craptastic pitcher can sometimes have an okay (or hell, even a slightly less terrible) one through no fault of his own. Then where will he be? Still a shitty pitcher but no longer even a footnote in the history books.
ESPN's Pick Center Plus® has him giving up 4.1 in 5.0 IP. Roy Halladay having that record is pretty awesome.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Puddles said:

Fuck that.

B

Sharp

darkside31337 said:
Red Sox wasting no time telling the Rays they are already laying down.
What are you talking about, they have a 200 game winner out there

I expect great things from the Red Sox today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom