• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah I don't think Halladay will win because he wins all the time and he has to split the attention on his team. But I would vote for him.

Doytch

Puddles said:
We can talk about how one guy just locked up the Triple Crown of pitching (tied in victories), while the other guy only has a case if we attempt to completely factor out luck, which we don't do for ANY other award in sports.
1. I don't give a shit about wins. I play fantasy baseball and I don't even pay attention to them cause they're so pitifully useless. Matter of fact I really don't care about either triple crown.
2. I don't know what other sports you pay attention to, but there're saber-ish stats in hockey and basketball, too. Probably none in football because you pretty much have to be brain dead to give a shit. And if the voters in those sports are retarded...are we honour-bound to be retarded also?
Y2Kev said:
Yeah I don't think Halladay will win because he wins all the time and he has to split the attention on his team. But I would vote for him.
See this is why it's completely stupid to talk about predicting voter intention. The argument is essentially "the voters are stupid," and it is completely and utterly valid and pretty much correct.

Maxim726X

Y2Kev said:

Why? Kershaw has better stats... Not considerably, but better nonetheless.

PS- If Boston continues to shit the bed, that would complete a collapse even worse than the Mets. Boston had an 8 game lead with 17 to go.

Puddles

Banned
Fact or Fiction: the movie Fever Pitch is largely responsible for destroying the goodwill that the entire nation outside of New York felt for the Red Sox in 2003-2004.

jman2050

Puddles said:
Fact or Fiction: the movie Fever Pitch is largely responsible for destroying the goodwill that the entire nation outside of New York felt for the Red Sox in 2003-2004.

I blame ESPN, Jonathon Papelbon, and Peter Gammons for that.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Maxim726X said:
PS- If Boston continues to shit the bed, that would complete a collapse even worse than the Mets. Boston had an 8 game lead with 17 to go.
Braves were up 6.5 with 17 to go. Haha, suck it Mets!
Puddles said:
ITT, only advanced stats matter.
well of course they matter more, they paint you a better picture on who was the better player.

Celsior

YES

Puddles said:

God how did that movie get approved.

Doytch

Some of Kershaw's stats are better, some are worse. This is ultimately a call of what you like more in a pitcher, or whether you just want to look at some flavour of WAR and slavishly follow it even though the difference is within the error bars. I mean, their SIERAs are both 2.6. Who gives a shit about the last decimal point, it's meaningless.

Sexy motherfucking Ks: Kershaw
Dat K:BB: Halladay

I don't really give a damn about the Cy Young this year, whoever wins it deserves it. I do know that if I'm choosing between who to watch, it's Kershaw. But only because of Vin Scully.

cashman

Banned
ECokz.gif

Windu

Doytch said:
Some of Kershaw's stats are better, some are worse. This is ultimately a call of what you like more in a pitcher, or whether you just want to look at some flavour of WAR and slavishly follow it even though the difference is within the error bars.

I don't really give a damn about the Cy Young this year, whoever wins it deserves it. I do know that if I'm choosing between who to watch, it's Kershaw. But only because of Vin Scully.
yeah its close, but just about just about every stat points toward halladay, so i'll give him the edge. FIP is the big difference, that is why the fangraphs WAR is so different though.

Maxim726X

Doytch said:
Some of Kershaw's stats are better, some are worse. This is ultimately a call of what you like more in a pitcher, or whether you just want to look at some flavour of WAR and slavishly follow it even though the difference is within the error bars. I mean, their SIERAs are both 2.6. Who gives a shit about the last decimal point, it's meaningless.

Yeah that's true didn't look at the K/BB ratio.

Damn, it really is close.

Doytch

Windu said:
yeah its close, but just about just about every stat points toward halladay, so i'll give him the edge. FIP is the big difference, that is why the fangraphs WAR is so different though.
Yeah but I really dislike FIP and xFIP for analysis; they strip out way too much. FIP is a really fun equation, in that it really does a great job considering how simple it is, and how much consternation it can create for a first time viewer (like it did for me), but I don't really buy it as a true evaluation of talent.

hemtae

Maxim726X said:

Uh no? We had like a 4 game lead with 17 to go

cashman said:

lmao, where is this gif from?

Also, any goodwill the Red Sox had was generated specifically from 2004 - and died right after 2007. Papeldouche, Varitek, Big Papi's ongoing personal steroid investigation (as soon as he finds out how he got caught, he'll let us know!), Hamburger Curt, ESPN...and yeah, Fever Pitch probably ruined everything.

...but it's all good; everyone still hates the Yankees, since they're the Yankees.

[EDIT: Also, the Mets collapse, now and forever, will be the worst of all-time. Mets-Age, you will never escape that shit - stop trying.]

Windu

Doytch said:
Yeah but I really dislike FIP and xFIP for analysis; they strip out way too much. FIP is a really fun equation, in that it really does a great job considering how simple it is, and how much consternation it can create for a first time viewer (like it did for me), but I don't really buy it as a true evaluation of talent.
can't wait till Fangraphs changes to something other than FIP for fWAR. Seems like they prefer it for now though.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
captmcblack said:
[EDIT: Also, the Mets collapse, now and forever, will be the worst of all-time. Mets-Age, you will never escape that shit - stop trying.]

9 game lead. Rays didn't even play that well to earn this playoff spot they are destined to get now. Phillies actually earned it.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
9 game lead. Rays didn't even play that well to earn this playoff spot they are destined to get now. Phillies actually earned it.
i thought it was 7 with 17.

Doytch

Windu said:
can't wait till Fangraphs changes to something other than FIP for fWAR. Seems like they prefer it for now though.
Yeah, though I'm kind of starting to distrust WAR for pitchers. For example, is 99 IP of 0.00 ERA + 99 IP of 6.00 ERA equivalently valuable as 198 IP of 3.00 ERA?

And they never capture matchup data. A top-reliever (Clippard/Venters, not a closer) is gonna be brought in against the top batters because that's where he's most valuable. The stats he puts up are against top hitters, whereas a scrub reliever may not be. Even if they end up with the same stats, the top-reliever is still better because he did against better players. There are no adjustments for this.

Sharp

Doytch said:
Yeah, though I'm kind of starting to distrust WAR for pitchers. For example, is 99 IP of 0.00 ERA + 99 IP of 6.00 ERA equivalently valuable as 198 IP of 3.00 ERA? I'm not so sure...
That's what WPA is for.

Doytch

Sharp said:
That's what WPA is for.
Then you're giving them credit where they don't deserve it. If you're facing Lackey, why are you as a pitcher penalized when your team just lights him up and trashes the leverage index?

Basically, the whole system is imprecise. People (cough, Fangraphs writers) need to remember that.

Sharp

Doytch said:
Then you're giving them credit where they don't deserve it. If you're facing Lackey, why are you as a pitcher penalized when your team just lights him up and trashes the leverage index?
WPA/LI.

cashman

Banned
captmcblack said:
lmao, where is this gif from?
Dancing Ron Washington from Fan appreciation day today. The in the stands reporter for the Rangers is fucking awesome. The sendoff he got was fucking legendary, I'll try to find the gif of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom