• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
This is literally Ozzie's dream paradise. Can say as much shit as humanly possible and the only person who will get mad in the entire state is the owner.

That's because he will be the only one listening. The only thing in baseball less relevant than the Marlins is Baltimore. I can't imagine a guy who does every possible thing in the world to get press being relegated to a baseball hell like Miami.

Don Cooper signs four year extension with White Sox. That's insane for a pitching coach, but he may be the games best so I won't complain. Sounds like the rest of the staff is out. That's good. The White Sox are finally doing things right.

Also, rumor is Omar Vizquel will become player manager for the next two games. Wonder the last time that has happened.

turnbuckle

Doug Fister's last 8 games:

7-0, 55.2 Innings

ERA .646
WHIP .610
K/9 8.407
K:BB 13

He's like a Cliff Lee Jr

Verlander is a formidable #2 on our staff going into the postseason.

Getting rid of Guillen, Ordonez, and Penny along with some of the scrub relievers we threw out there earlier in the year makes me think next years team is going to be quite a bit better than this already pretty good club.

Lions and Tigers fans simultaneously having hope for the present and future? Pinch me.

It's hilarious how the Mets are getting shitted on for not allowing the Yanks to host a AAA team in Newark, yet, conveniently swept under the rug, the Yankees were far more petty when they didn't allow Chris Carter to be traded to the Mets.

Pretty hypocritical to be honest.

eznark

Banned
Mr.Awesome said:
Don Cooper signs four year extension with White Sox. That's insane for a pitching coach, but he may be the games best so I won't complain. Sounds like the rest of the staff is out. That's good. The White Sox are finally doing things right.

Also, rumor is Omar Vizquel will become player manager for the next two games. Wonder the last time that has happened.

obN9Q.jpg

1. Rollins - SS
2. Utley - 2B
3. Pence - RF
4. Howard - 1B
5. Victorino - CF
6. Ibanez - LF
7. Polanco - 3B
8. Ruiz - C
9. Oswalt - P

Charlie still going with all his starters. No Braves lineup yet. Awaiting word on Chipper's MRI.

Meier

Sucks the Dodgers aren't going to get in a full 162.. if Kemp ends up a HR short of 40/40 with him being cheated out of a game, I'm sure that'll be pretty painful. I'm still amazed that we're going to finish with a winning record though.. I honestly gave us no chance coming into the year due to the pitiful FA acquisitions by Colletti. As one dimensional as he is, at least Barajas did hit some HRs for us. Uribe was a predictably awful signing while the addition of Juan Rivera looked pretty good.

McCourt is telling Colletti he'll have the necessary money to lock up Kemp, Kershaw and Ethier long-term this offseason. We shall see how reliable that is. Either way, color me shocked on Ethier.. I figured he'd be traded to the Yankees.

talisayNon said:
It's hilarious how the Mets are getting shitted on for not allowing the Yanks to host a AAA team in Newark, yet, conveniently swept under the rug, the Yankees were far more petty when they didn't allow Chris Carter to be traded to the Mets.

that's not even close to the same thing you two-timer.

Braves lineup:

1. Bourn - CF
2. Prado - LF
3. Jones - 3B
4. Uggla - 2B
5. Freeman - 1B
6. McCann - C
7. Gonzalez - SS
8. Heyward - RF
9. Lowe - P

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
ToxicAdam said:
I can't wait for the next page so I can get Pete Rose's dong off my screen.

Seriously man what is up with that?

Pete Rose may never be a hall of famer (and he never should be) but at least he was more than a singles hitter with the ladies.

sangreal

talisayNon said:

While I would have rather seen the team at Yogi Bera anyway, Newark really could have used it and it was a dick move all around by the Mets. Like a year of AAA Yankees in Newark would convert a legion of fans who already willingly root for the second best team in the area which happens to be perennially awful. I don't think it compares to making a waiver claim on Chris Carter. That move had implications for the season (locked up a 40-man roster spot on the Red Sox) and wasn't even directed at the Mets. It was stupid to include a player who hasn't cleared waivers in a trade anyway.

They're probably just worried that the Newark Yankees would put on a better game than the Mets.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
sangreal said:
While I would have rather seen the team at Yogi Bera anyway, Newark really could have used it and it was a dick move all around by the Mets. Like a year of AAA Yankees in Newark would convert a legion of fans who already willingly root for the second best team in the area which happens to be perennially awful. I don't think it compares to making a waiver claim on Chris Carter. That move had implications for the season (locked up a 40-man roster spot on the Red Sox) and wasn't even directed at the Mets. It was stupid to include a player who hasn't cleared waivers in a trade anyway.

They're probably just worried that the Newark Yankees would put on a better game than the Mets.

Exactly why I am utterly thrilled they didn't let it happen. The Mets are a MLB organization too. They also play in NY. They shouldn't bend over backwards to make the Yankees happy.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma said:
1. Rollins - SS
2. Utley - 2B
3. Pence - RF
4. Howard - 1B
5. Victorino - CF
6. Ibanez - LF
7. Polanco - 3B
8. Ruiz - C
9. Oswalt - P

Charlie still going with all his starters.
i hope they all get injured.

sangreal

darkside31337 said:
Exactly why I am utterly thrilled they didn't let it happen. The Mets are a MLB organization too. They also play in NY. They shouldn't bend over backwards to make the Yankees happy.

The Yankees will just find another stadium -- it's a much bigger deal for the struggling City of Newark.

Jon

Doytch said:
Well here come the lifelongs...

:-D

I missed you guys all too much. There will be time to explain my absence in the coming days, but I actually have to go. For the record, I am rooting for the Braves to get in. Out of respect, and out of preferred matchup.

darkside31337 said:
Baseball doesn't start till October.

For teams like the Phillies, Spring Training just happens to be 6 months long.

*pukes*

I don't believe we've met. I appreciate your opinion.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jon said:
I missed you guys all too much. There will be time to explain my absence in the coming days, but I actually have to go. For the record, I am rooting for the Braves to get in. Out of respect, and out of preferred matchup.
Hopefully, all those Ryan Howard gifs from last postseason will find plenty of use this year as well.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnEternalEnigma said:
Marlins sign Omar Infante to a 2-year, $8 million contract extension.

I see the Jeff Francoeur signing has already had the Jayson Werth effect going into the next offseason.

Teams historically go wild following a new CBA. Could be some absurd amounts of money being spent this offseason. Some guys are going to get paid.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
I see the Jeff Francoeur signing has already had the Jayson Werth effect going into the next offseason.

Teams historically go wild following a new CBA. Could be some absurd amounts of money being spent this offseason. Some guys are going to get paid.
i wonder how much the minimum salary is going to go up. It is $414,000 right now, i wouldn't be surprised if it went up to $500,000 or $600,000. Seems to go up every CBA. Will probably be a gradual climb though like the 2006 CBA.

edit:
Minimum salary
• Major League minimum salary will increase to $380,000 in 2007, $390,000 in 2008, $400,000 in 2009 and to a cost-of-living increase in 2011.
• Minor League minimum salary will increse to $60,000 in 2007, $62,500 in 2008 and $65,000 in 2009.

Players will see the MLB minimum salary rise from its current $327,000 -- plus cost of living -- to $380,000 next year. After that it goes to $390,000 for 2008, $400,000 for 2009 and 2010, and $400,000 plus cost of living adjustments for 2011.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...b+cba+minimum+salary&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

edit: and speaking of the CBA, just found this site

http://www.cbabaseball.com/rules/index.php?title=Main_Page

edit: oh, its some kind of sim game.

Tampa Tribune is reporting that Rays 1B Casey Kotchman has been hospitalized after complaining of chest tightness.

Tiebreaker times have been set if they are necessary.

Red Sox @ Rays, 4:07pm ET on TBS
Braves @ Cardinals, 8:07pm ET on TBS

Windu

i still prefer the Tigers with the greatest offense of all time articles from a few years ago.
AnEternalEnigma said:
Tiebreaker times have been set if they are necessary.

Red Sox @ Rays, 4:07pm ET on TBS
Braves @ Cardinals, 8:07pm ET on TBS
hmm, might actually fit in my schedule, awesome.

The wife of Astros’ closer, Mark Melancon, was induced into labor after last night’s 5-4 win against the Cardinals. Mrs. Melancon is still in labor as of 6pm ET and he is not likely to be available for tonight’s game against the Cardinals. Melancon got the win last night, throwing 2 scoreless innings, so his availability was in question already.

God. Damn. It.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Jim Pohlad is committed to Bill Smith. He says you can't make a "knee jerk" reaction to "one bad season." The Twins had succeeded prior to this year in spite of Smith, not because of him. Fuck me.

dvolovets

Lambtron said:
Jim Pohlad is committed to Bill Smith. He says you can't make a "knee jerk" reaction to "one bad season." The Twins had succeeded prior to this year in spite of Smith, not because of him. Fuck me.
And even then, that "success" is only relevant in a limited context. :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
dvolovets said:
And even then, that "success" is only relevant in a limited context. :(
Get to the playoffs and then it's a crapshoot. Unless you play the Yankees every year and are incapable of beating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom