• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Lavarnway play at AA just this year, it's impressive that he's already doing well in the majors...

As for Bedard... um. He's okay, I guess, but still, yeah, I don't think he was really worth trading away several of our best AA players for, unless we keep him for more than just this year and he pitches well or something...

weekend_warrior said:
zTdRf.jpg
What, jealous that Boston has won championships in all four of the major sports within the past decade, while NY hasn't?

Sanjuro

A Black Falcon said:
What, jealous that Boston has won championships in all four of the major sports within the past decade, while NY hasn't?
Pretty much. I don't know too many people who were bothered by this.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ellsbury is having a better offensive year than granderson (barely) and Ellsbury is generally considered the better defensive player. So yeah, Ellsbury > Granderson

Windu said:
Ellsbury is having a better offensive year than granderson (barely) and Ellsbury is generally considered the better defensive player. So yeah, Ellsbury > Granderson

If the Sox make the playoffs- ellsbury
If the Sox miss the playoffs- Granderson
If hell freezes over- Bautista
If the voters had brains- Verlander

Windu

weekend_warrior said:
If the voter had brains- Verlander
last time i checked, Granderson or Ellsbury wasn't an entire team. So i don't know what the hell that is all about.

Sanjuro

weekend_warrior said:
Oh, you brought MVP talk into the comparison. Cute.

Twelve pitch at bat? Bedard won't be going deep into this game again, will he... at least he got the out. It is kind of funny that that was the first swing in the at bat that he swung at but missed...

weekend_warrior said:
The Sox don't have to make the playoffs for Ellsbury to be MVP. It might help him if they do (thanks to his heroics), but it's not necessary.

eznark said:
Juiceberry's 3 home run season next year is going to be hilarious.
I have no idea if he's on steroids or not, I wouldn't guess it just because he's good this year, but hah, as if every team doesn't have multiple players drugging? Of course they all do.

A Black Falcon said:
The Sox don't have to make the playoffs for Ellsbury to be MVP. It might help him if they do (thanks to his heroics), but it's not necessary.

Just my opinion but I don't think a player should get MVP if their team doesn't make the playoffs, unless they have an overwhelming better season then anyone else, which Ellsbury definitely hasn't done.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Oh, you brought MVP talk into the comparison. Cute.

Unless we're purely talking about MVP this season I don't know how you could possibly think Ellsbury is better then Granderson. This has been the first year Ellsbury has been even remotely productive.

Sanjuro

weekend_warrior said:
Just my opinion but I don't think a player should get MVP if their team doesn't make the playoffs, unless they have an overwhelming better season then anyone else, which Ellsbury definitely hasn't done.
Stop spewing this liberal PC bullshit, for fucksake.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Enron said:
Derek Lowe is a piece of shit. Drown him in the Chattahoochee.

It's funny to see the fans in the stands that still have this look like HEY HE CAN TURN IT AROUND!

No.... this ship has sailed...

Windu

weekend_warrior said:
so lets use that logic. So you would say Francisco Cervelli is more valuable than Jose Bautista because he is on a playoff team? because that is essentially what you are saying.

Sanjuro

weekend_warrior said:
This has been the first year Ellsbury has been even remotely productive.
This is why you are simply some lifelong Laker basketball fan. Glad to know you don't even watch the fucking sport.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
so lets use that logic. So you would say Francisco Cervelli is more valuable than Jose Bautista because he is on a playoff team? That is essentially what you are saying.

Wow really?

I think you missed the part where he said overwhelming better season.

I agree that if the Red Sox choke Ellsbury really shouldn't win the award. It's kind of embarrassing.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
Wow really?

I think you missed the part where he said overwhelming better season.

I agree that if the Red Sox choke Ellsbury really shouldn't win the award. It's kind of embarrassing.
yeah i blocked that out. So sorry. Anyway, i have never understood the logic of only picking people on playoff teams. It says Most Valuable. So in my mind that means if its the best player because if you put him on any team, he would be a upgrade and be more valuable than anyone else.

Fatalah

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
Stop spewing this liberal PC bullshit, for fucksake.
Sanjuro - I'm not with you on Elsbury or your Boston love, but spectacular job with that jab!

Granderson is Lex Luger yo - the total package!

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:

But Ellsbury has been fucking amazing during this stretch where the pitching has fallen apart? It's an individual award. You'd give it to him if the Red Sox were simply a .500 team all year long but since they played some good ball for a couple of months then fell apart he doesn't get the award.

No wonder sportswriters always get this shit wrong, people can apparently talk themselves into all kinds of nonsensical mind-boggling shit. Like voting for Obama, right ww!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
yeah i blocked that out. So sorry. Anyway, i have never understood the logic of only picking people on playoff teams. It says Most Valuable. So in my mind that means if its the best player because if you put him on any team, he would be a upgrade and be more valuable than anyone else.

I agree with this. But Ellsbury's MVPness is based on the narrative that he's saved the Red Sox season which would be the truth if they get in. If they don't get in then what exactly has he saved?

Either way Bautista should win the award.

Windu said:
so lets use that logic. So you would say Francisco Cervelli is more valuable than Jose Bautista because he is on a playoff team? because that is essentially what you are saying.

read:

If for some reason it came down to Bautista and and Cervelli, then I would say Bautista has had the overwhelmingly better season then Cervelli and give him the award.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
This is why you are simply some lifelong Laker basketball fan. Glad to know you don't even watch the fucking sport.

Why do you always bring up the Lakers? I'm not even a Lakers fan, I just like Kobe so I route for the Lakers in the West. I barely even follow basketball.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
I agree with this. But Ellsbury's MVPness is based on the narrative that he's saved the Red Sox season which would be the truth if they get in. If they don't get in then what exactly has he saved?

well i don't give a shit about narrative, the award is for the best player not who the fuck has the best story. That shit goes to stuff like comeback player or whatever. And yes, right now i would pick Bautista.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom