• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
darkside31337 said:
Chris Parmelee has played in 20 games this year. He has 4 HRs. That's good for 5th on the Twins. For the entire season.

Twins beisbol.
Based on fWAR, he's been the 3rd most valuable Twins hitter this year. That was before he jacked that donger tonight. This is how you lose 100 games.

Sanjuro

weekend_warrior said:
It's not the "best player award", it's the "most valuable player award". What value does a player on a non-playoff team have? If you took Ellsbury and put him on the Astros what value would he have? The Astros might win a few more games, but they wouldn't make the playoffs. But if you took Ellsbury off the Red Sox they wouldn't have a chance for the playoffs right now. He's far more valuable because he's the difference between playoffs/ no playoffs.

You can make the argument all you want for a "best player award" but the MVP has always been heavily favored towards the players that make the playoffs.
If you took Ellsbury off the Red Sox you would be then missing a player. Now I can start some revisionist bullshit about Beltre / V-Mart coming back or some rookie possibly picking up the slack.

Fatalah

weekend_warrior said:
You can make the argument all you want for a "best player award" but the MVP has always been heavily favored towards the players that make the playoffs.

I feel like we need to create a Fangraphs to expound on that. This topic comes up every single year, and I've spent countless hours listening to people argue on WFAN about it.

darkside31337 said:
Chris Parmelee has played in 20 games this year. He has 4 HRs. That's good for 5th on the Twins. For the entire season.

Twins beisbol.
Poor Twins... and weren't they supposed to contend this season too? Instead they're the worst team in the league. Shows how good preseason predictions are.

weekend_warrior said:
It's not the "best player award", it's the "most valuable player award". What value does a player on a non-playoff team have? If you took Ellsbury and put him on the Astros what value would he have? The Astros might win a few more games, but they wouldn't make the playoffs. But if you took Ellsbury off the Red Sox they wouldn't have a chance for the playoffs right now. He's far more valuable because he's the difference between playoffs/ no playoffs.

The MVP has been won by players from non-playoff teams almost from the beginning... it is an award with a definite subjective element though, so sure, being on a playoff team helps, but it isn't necessary.

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
If you took Ellsbury off the Red Sox you would be then missing a player. Now I can start some revisionist bullshit about Beltre / V-Mart coming back or some rookie possibly picking up the slack.

who would play CF in his absence then?

eznark

Banned
Lambtron said:
Based on fWAR, he's been the 3rd most valuable Twins hitter this year. That was before he jacked that donger tonight. This is how you lose 100 games.
LkwTk.jpg

I heard a really funny story about Mauer hitting on a chick he was golfing with in a charity event this past off-season. "Creepy, pushy and super-creepy" were the descriptors. I have no way of verifying the accuracy but the girl who told the story was God damned hilarious according to my little sister.

Just thought you'd like to know your boy is trying (and failing) to cheat on you.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
/cheer astros
weekend_warrior said:
It's not the "best player award", it's the "most valuable player award". What value does a player on a non-playoff team have? If you took Ellsbury and put him on the Astros what value would he have? The Astros might win a few more games, but they wouldn't make the playoffs.
That is exactly my point, last time i checked these players are not the GMs and they don't pick what players are on the team. If you take Granderson off the yankees, if you take Ellsbury off the Red Sox, if you take Bautista off the Blue Jays if you take Carlos Lee off the Astros, who makes the biggest impact? Who is the most valuable? Who adds more VALUE to a team than any other player? The player who is the best, adds the most value, he is the most valuable player.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
LkwTk.jpg

I heard a really funny story about Mauer hitting on a chick he was golfing with in a charity event this past off-season. "Creepy, pushy and super-creepy" were the descriptors. I have no way of verifying the accuracy but the girl who told the story was God damned hilarious according to my little sister.

Just thought you'd like to know your boy is trying (and failing) to cheat on you.
That two timing son of a bitch better be resting his legs this offseason.

Duki

Banned
wow what the fuck guys

can these rays really not get a fucking out any easier

whyd the fuck are we hitting them

just fucking stop

weekend_warrior said:

But if you replace Ellsbury with Jose Bautista, the RedSox probably win a couple more games which is the difference between making the playoffs and not, so isn't he more valuable?

rekameohs

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
As for the Cardinals... yeah, at this rate the Braves will get in, but not through any actions of their own to help their cause...
Whoever wins the NL Wild Card deserves to get their asses swept in the first round. They're both pathetic.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
"really desperate" was also used, so I'm guessing he'll be resting whether he likes it or not.
Joe doesn't really have the best of personalities. I assume uh, he just goes out there and uh, keeps it on an even keel with the ladies. Doesn't try to do too much.

Fatalah

The Rays would make for a scary playoff team, they may have the best starting rotation, after the Phillies. Arms all rested specifically for this time of year, scary indeed.

Duki

Banned
Fatalah said:
The Rays would make for a scary playoff team, they may have the best starting rotation, after the Phillies. Arms all rested specifically for this time of year, scary indeed.
they literally couldnt score more than two runs on bartolo colon

why would anyone be afraid of these guys

Brofist

Ninja Scooter said:
But if you replace Ellsbury with Jose Bautista, the RedSox probably win a couple more games which is the difference between making the playoffs and not, so isn't he more valuable?

That's debatable. Ellsbury has outright carried the Sox in the stretch run.

Plus if we look post all-star break:

Ellsbury
2guk4fn.jpg

Bautista
2eaigkm.jpg

Bautista didn't exactly light it up in the second half of the season.

Windu

Y2Kev said:
Can whoever makes the playoff thread just mark down ATL as a 1st round exit
fuck that, if we make it we're going all the way just to piss people off.

Windu

kpop100 said:
That's debatable. Ellsbury has outright carried the Sox in the stretch run.

Plus if we look post all-star break:

Ellsbury
2guk4fn.jpg

Bautista
2eaigkm.jpg

Bautista didn't exactly light it up in the second half of the season.
a win in the first half of the season = 1. A win in the second half of the season = 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom