• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Oliver has been better against righties this year than lefties, and faced more as well, righties have a .573 OPS against him while lefties have a .625. Either way solid.

Getting guys out isn't less any important in the 7th inning than it is in the 8th or 9th. It is not "pressure situations" just because the inning is later on in the game. Perhaps there's something to Darren struggling with runners on base, but that hasn't been the case either this season with a .633 OPS allowed with nobody on compared to a .531 with runners on base.

Obviously small sample size caveats apply with relievers, but there is absolutely no way you can argue that Oliver has been struggling this season.

As far as scoring runs, you can NEVER have enough run scoring in a lineup. Carlos Beltran would represent an upgrade over David Murphy in every possible way, much more so than whatever you consider the difference between Darren Oliver and Heath Bell (or any other reliever).

Oliver has been responsible for at least 5 losses. Fuck Darren Oliver. I don't care if he gets everyone out when the Rangers are up by 3 or more runs, when the game is on the line he bends over and takes it up the pooper every time.

The Texas Bullpen is near the bottom of the AL in nearly every category. You are insane if you think this team needs more offense instead of pitching help.

darkside31337 said:
Overhyped for sure but dear god I can't stand the MLE calculator. Minor league statistics aren't everything, hell they aren't even the main thing.
shhh just trying to rile up the Yankee fans

Enron

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
Giants fans have no conception of a strike zone, it seems. They're booing balls that are plainly outside.

They just started watching baseball last year. Cut them some slack!

Talon

ConradCervantes said:
Giants fans have no conception of a strike zone, it seems. They're booing balls that are plainly outside.
This is the equivalent of "Good eye!" being shouted from the club level on the first base line in every ballpark in the country.

Yeah, we're dropping this one. Between Josh Wilson being a retard and the baserunning fuckups, this is coming off like a laughable Brewers road game like the days of yore.

I'm sorry, ML player and making millions of dollars... I can't have players acting the way he does nowadays if I'm managing. He's in BS mode and when he's like that he doesn't hit anywhere near what he normally does, his fielding stinks and his baseball IQ (not exactly high anyway) plummets like a stone. The few times you see him motivated he produces, but it's almost impossible to build around a star player who doesn't give a fuck.

LJ11

The Frankman said:
I'm sorry, ML player and making millions of dollars... I can't have players acting the way he does nowadays if I'm managing. He's in BS mode and when he's like that he doesn't hit anywhere near what he normally does, his fielding stinks and his baseball IQ (not exactly high anyway) plummets like a stone. The few times you see him motivated he produces, but it's almost impossible to build around a star player who doesn't give a fuck.

His owner and the fans don't give a fuck, hard to get up for 162 games under those conditions.

Still, he's a dipshit and a whiny bitch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
I'm sorry, ML player and making millions of dollars... I can't have players acting the way he does nowadays. He's in BS mode and when he's like that he doesn't hit anywhere near what he normally does, his fielding stinks and his baseball IQ (not exactly high anyway) plummets like a stone. The few times you see him motivated he produces, but it's almost impossible to build around a star player who doesn't give a fuck.

Hate the guy all you want but the fact is he's produced. A lot. He's struggled a ton this season, but he's been tearing it up in July.

I would rather have the pompous whiny diva brat that HanRam was from 06 to 10 than just about every other SS in baseball not named Reyes or Tulo basically.

I don't like his BS either. But he's the kind of guy who needs to be motivated for the ultimate grind that is a MLB season and quite frankly it's hard to be motivated when you play for the Florida Marlins. Your team sucks from ownership to the product on the field and you get about 500 fans to show up to your games.

Put him on a team like on the Red Sox and he'd be putting up numbers that would be completely ridiculous. Sometimes you deal with a players crap when he is that damn good. Red Sox put up with ManRam's crap until they could no more, and milked 2 World Series titles out of him.

Doytch

Ninja Scooter said:
Please tell me Bill Simmons isn't seriously trying to throw Jacoby Ellsbury into the MVP discussion.
Ellsbury makes more sense than Adrian.

Bautista makes more sense than anyone.

Doytch said:
Ellsbury makes more sense than Adrian.

Bautista makes more sense than anyone.
Pedroia makes more sense than Ellsbury or Adrian.

But yeah, you can't pick anyone but Bautista. OH WAIT YOU CAN BECAUSE FIRST-PLACE TEAM

LJ11

sf2fanatic said:
LOL A McCourt fan.."How to Ruin a Baseball Team"..

Wait, did this happen in today's game?

I remember a GAFFER did this last year, that's what I thought Kev was referring to.

Doytch

CajoleJuice said:

But yeah, you can't pick anyone but Bautista. OH WAIT YOU CAN BECAUSE FIRST-PLACE TEAM
Not if you count Pedroia's Premature Balding and Anklebiting Above Replacement. They deduct at least a solid win.

LJ11 said:
Wait, did this happen in today's game?

I remember a GAFFER did this last year, that's what I thought Kev was referring to.

i thought he was referring to todays game too. Usually there is maroons with books at the game

darkside31337 said:
Hate the guy all you want but the fact is he's produced. A lot. He's struggled a ton this season, but he's been tearing it up in July.

I would rather have the pompous whiny diva brat that HanRam was from 06 to 10 than just about every other SS in baseball not named Reyes or Tulo basically.

I don't like his BS either. But he's the kind of guy who needs to be motivated for the ultimate grind that is a MLB season and quite frankly it's hard to be motivated when you play for the Florida Marlins. Your team sucks from ownership to the product on the field and you get about 500 fans to show up to your games.

Put him on a team like on the Red Sox and he'd be putting up numbers that would be completely ridiculous. Sometimes you deal with a players crap. Red Sox put up with ManRam's crap until they could no more, and milked 2 World Series titles out of him.
Yes... when the Marlifish are out of it. His numbers the 1st 3 months when you could say the Marlins had a shot were asstacular. Also HanRam was NEVER as bad a whiny diva brat as he has been this year. Look at the horror show guys like David Wright and Jose Reyes have gone through as a Met over the last 3 years... if anything I'd have expected them to check out long ago. Not motivated because you're a Marlin? Boo-FUCKING-Hoo, it doesn't seem to bother the other Marlins. You come to the park and play the game.

Hanley Ramirez doesn't inspire anyone on his team, and can actually bring them down. FACT. When your own dugout hates the effort you put in, you're not the team captain. that's why Marlins need to hope Johnson/Stanton/Morrison step up so they can be the leader when the new park opens. They could also use some more vets (Wes Helms is a good one) to teach the young guys and try to make Hanley fall in line. obviously McKeon isn't the longterm solution.

CajoleJuice said:

If you're going to use the non-1st place team argument I better see you campaigning for Jose Reyes as NL MVP.

The Frankman said:
If you're going to use the non-1st place team argument I better see you campaigning for Jose Reyes as NL MVP.
Who the fuck else would it be? I will rage if he keeps this up and doesn't get it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:

Don't believe Sandy. Reyes is gonna get traded just to spite this statement you just made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom