• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattk15

Smoak has been playing with a broken thumb for the past month ... maybe thats why he has sucked so damn much at the plate.

Woo Mariners score in the 1st inning for the first time in forever.

rando14

Macattk15 said:
Wasn't bad. Of course the M's lost ... but I shook Brendan Ryan's hand as he was walking into Fenway and told him I was sick of them losing 13 games in a row (now 14) ... he kinda laughed and said it was pretty tough for them too.

Also got Ackley's autograph ... I will cherish it forever.

Whoa nice!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Enron said:
You don't watch much Ranger baseball. It seems that every time Darren Oliver comes into a game in a pressure situation, he wilts. The reason why he's been doing better lately is because Lowe has emerged as an 8th inning guy and Oliver has been relegated to more of a situational lefty role (along with Arthur Rhodes).

The Rangers have no problem scoring runs. Even when Hamilton and Cruz missed time, the Rangers Run Machine kept on churning. Ron Washington plays small ball and has the Rangers very aggressive on the basepaths. When a big bat is missing, it hurts less. I don't expect the offense to nosedive with Beltre out. This team really needs one more reliable power arm in the pen. If they can get Beltran too, then great but I don't think they need him.

Oliver has been better against righties this year than lefties, and faced more as well, righties have a .573 OPS against him while lefties have a .625. Either way solid.

Getting guys out isn't less any important in the 7th inning than it is in the 8th or 9th. It is not "pressure situations" just because the inning is later on in the game. Perhaps there's something to Darren struggling with runners on base, but that hasn't been the case either this season with a .633 OPS allowed with nobody on compared to a .531 with runners on base.

Obviously small sample size caveats apply with relievers, but there is absolutely no way you can argue that Oliver has been struggling this season.

As far as scoring runs, you can NEVER have enough run scoring in a lineup. Carlos Beltran would represent an upgrade over David Murphy in every possible way, much more so than whatever you consider the difference between Darren Oliver and Heath Bell (or any other reliever).

Macattk15

Ohhhhhhhhhh Mariners. Come the fuck on Pineda.

rando14 said:
Whoa nice!

Yeah. Caught Brendan and then him walking into Gate D @ Fenway .... both in plane clothes. Brendan was walking away from me and I just yelled his name and he turned around .... he seemed really cool from the short convo I had with him.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
When will the Mets just cut Jason Bay? Can't we admit he's completely useless at this point?

It's been 49 games since Jason Bay hit a double. He has a whopping 11 XBH on the season.

He should be hitting 9th at this point at the very least.

This team is so fucking stupid sometimes. The ump gives you 2 extra fucking outs and you still don't score BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO TAG UP AND ADVANCE A BASE!!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
How in the world do the Marlins NOT trade Anibal Sanchez?

Insane career year, lots of arm issues in the past and a big payday right on the horizon. It literally makes no sense to not have him on the market if you're the Marlins.

Doogdogg said:
Boston need more offense, call up Lavarnway. lol

When does Lowrie return?? Adding 2 more legit bats to the lineup.

Where would he play? He shouldn't be taking playing time away from Scutaro.

oatmeal

Banned
Doogdogg said:
Boston need more offense, call up Lavarnway. lol

When does Lowrie return?? Adding 2 more legit bats to the lineup.

I don't think anyone should ever count on Lowrie staying in a lineup.

Lavarnway would be amazing...at least to see if he can continue his ridiculous pace in the majors.

If the Red Sox acquire Beltran, you can pretty much concede the WS.
If the Red Sox acquire Reyes, you can pretty much concede the WS.

I know the Sox would be better off getting SP, but they are beating people with an epic offense, so it almost doesn't even matter.

They are red hot right now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
weekend_warrior said:
This team is so fucking stupid sometimes. The ump gives you 2 extra fucking outs and you still don't score BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO FUCKING STUPID TO TAG UP AND ADVANCE A BASE!!
it's a noob tard. i don't even know who it is

verbum

captmcblack said:
If the Red Sox acquire Beltran, you can pretty much concede the WS.
If the Red Sox acquire Reyes, you can pretty much concede the WS.

I know the Sox would be better off getting SP, but they are beating people with an epic offense, so it almost doesn't even matter.

They are red hot right now.
The last time folks were crowing about the RS, "they are unbeatable, etc,etc" they lost 4-5 games in the standings. The chickens haven't hatched yet.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SuperMalo said:
I want to hate Nuñez, but I can't.

I feel bad for Nunez. It's impossible to replace a once in a centaur kind of player like A-Rod. Hating on Nunez is really pathetic, the guy is giving it everything he has he's just a scrub player.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Pagan just got pulled from the game.

Cue endless speculation about a trade starting now.

Who exactly would be trading for him right now though? More likely he's getting benched cause Jason Pridie is the man.

JaMarco

verbum said:
The last time folks were crowing about the RS, "they are unbeatable, etc,etc" they lost 4-5 games in the standings. The chickens haven't hatched yet.
Plus half their SP is on the DL.

Case said:

But the state of their SP is irrelevant because they continue to win. Will they even have another non-Yankees/Angels/Rays tough stretch this season?

Red Sox just don't give a fuck right now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Case said:

Which is exactly why they are scary good right now. Lester will be back on Monday.

They really need to be in the market for another SP though. Not sure if you can really bank on Bucholz right now.

Rich Harden would be interesting. It'd certainly be testing their already terrible luck with SP injuries this year that's for sure. And it'd cost them basically nothing other than picking up a couple hundred thousand dollars.

darkside31337 said:
Pagan just got pulled from the game.

Cue endless speculation about a trade starting now.

Who exactly would be trading for him right now though? More likely he's getting benched cause Jason Pridie is the man.
It's also fricking hot. Wouldn't be surprised if it was dehydration. It wouldn't make sense to trade him when you know Beltran will be dealt, unless there's a package (Pagan + Pelfrey).

I'm stunned Bay got a hit. 4-3 Marlins now, I'd run with Bay at some point. Josh Thole is slow as shit and he's turned into a complete slap hitter now.

EDIT: Josh Thole you suck. Get your wife pregnant again.

You know who really can use Jason Bay? The Pirates...

former prospect, Jason Bay needs to come home and lead the Pirates to the playoffs. Veteran presence and a big bat in the middle of the order, the fans will love him.

NomarTyme

The Frankman said:
You know who really can use Jason Bay? The Pirates...

former prospect, Jason Bay needs to come home and lead the Pirates to the playoffs. Veteran presence and a big bat in the middle of the order, the fans will love him.
I think you're describing Barry Bonds.

Malo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
I feel bad for Nunez. It's impossible to replace a once in a centaur kind of player like A-Rod. Hating on Nunez is really pathetic, the guy is giving it everything he has he's just a scrub player.
Good thing I don't hate him just his atrocious defense.

Nunez will be a decent to above-average MLB player, especially when he's on an easier team to exist on than the Yankees.

His D is poor, but he is a kid - he can be taught and trained to improve. Plus, he fills in for Jeter and A-Rod...so it's a little different for him to deal with. He's got a decent bat, most definitely.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Macattk15 said:
Goodbye Rookie of the Year.

Who exactly would give you it to now?

Jordan Walden? Riddick would totally win it if he just got some more PT. Ackley is still in the mix.

Even with Pineda's struggles as of late he can still turn it around pretty easily and win it.

Macattk15

darkside31337 said:
Who exactly would give you it to now?

Jordan Walden? Riddick would totally win it if he just got some more PT. Ackley is still in the mix.

Even with Pineda's struggles as of late he can still turn it around pretty easily and win it.

Depends how Ackley continues to hold up ... Yeah Reddick looks good too.

As the season gets later, Pineda will get less and less innings due to arm concerns / inning workload.

dvolovets said:
True, but 15 losses in a row speak for themselves...

Whatever. As I said I hope they lose every single game from here on out. Then someone in the front office will get canned I can only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom