• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CajoleJuice said:
Who the fuck else would it be? I will rage if he keeps this up and doesn't get it.
I can see the idiot writers giving it to Lance Berkman/Roy Halladay. Like FOX "analyst" Mitch Williams says, "Jose Reyes with all the showboating crap he does isn't a star player and won't be one until he cuts that out."

What made it funnier is the next game he called he said Shane Victorino is a tough lunch-pail guy who is no-nonsense and is key to the Phils' success.

Doytch

The Frankman said:
I can see the idiot writers giving it to Lance Berkman/Roy Halladay. Like FOX "analyst" Mitch Williams says, "Jose Reyes with all the showboating crap he does isn't a star player and won't be one until he cuts that out."

What made it funnier is the next game he called he said Shane Victorino is a tough lunch-pail guy who is no-nonsense and is key to the Phils' success.
There's a legit debate there, assuming you don't just throw away pitchers from MVP voting. Halladay leads Reyes in bWAR but trails fWAR.

Kemp is running away with it, in any case.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
4OXPt.png

Well here's the thing... if you replace Halladay with a league average player are the Phils in 1st/still good? With the way the young pitchers have produced... yeah. Jose Reyes is having a season unlike any other hitter before he got hurt, and now that he's back he's just continuing it. AVG., OBP., basestealing, multihit games, runs scored, and to think it's with the Mets offense that missing Wright/Davis and has a MIA Jason Bay.

I think if the voters actually look at game stats and players on each team Reyes will get it in a landslide. Unless Kemp hits 45 HRs/Halladay wins 25+ and leads the league in ERA I don't see Reyes not getting MVP.

Doytch said:
There's a legit debate there, assuming you don't just throw away pitchers from MVP voting. Halladay leads Reyes in bWAR but trails fWAR.
Halladay has higher pitching bWAR than Reyes, but his overall bWAR is lower! The hitting part kills him!

Insane how disparate bWAR and fWAR is for Reyes and Kemp.

Reyes
bWAR: 4.6
fWAR: 5.5

Kemp
bWAR: 6.0
fWAR: 4.7

Ok, I've been posting a lot of random stats today, I'm done for the night.

Windu

i guess Fangraphs realizes that Kemp is shit in Center and Baseball Reference does not.

Sharp

After the first inning, 27 straight outs for the Nats. It was like watching a no-hitter but without the historical angle to keep it interesting.

Enron

Banned
mlbtraderumors said:
Earlier this evening, we learned that Beltran has privately told the Mets he will not accept a trade to an American League team, so between that and Upton apparently being made available on the trade market, it would seem Beltran's value may be taking a hit.

Excellent. If that's true, that tosses the Rangers out of the running so they can focus on getting a reliever that doesn't suck.

Enron

Banned
Doytch said:
What the fuck? Why am I blacked out from watching the TOR/TEX game? Fucking thing isn't even on national TV.

Sunday games after 4pm or something are ALWAYS national blackout games.

Doytch said:
No idea why Texas started the game at 8 then. Idiots in Texas or at MLB, or both.
Texas area isn't blacked out from the game. They are allowed to schedule late games today because of heat issues in afternoon.

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Texas area isn't blacked out from the game. They are allowed to schedule late games today because of heat issues in afternoon.

yeah they get special permission from the league, fucking texans always trying to be separate.

Fashion Ump: What is that thing on Coco Crisp’s neck?

lhRBD.jpg

The first time I heard anything about what Coco Crisp(notes) had going on his neck was early last week when the Oakland Athletics played the Detroit Tigers. Tigers blogger Samara Pearlstein spotted what looked like a piercing and posted her observation on Twitter.

Since then, others have taken notice. It's a tattoo! It's a piercing! It's both! Larry Brown Sports noticed it on Friday while the A's were playing the New York Yankees. And of course, any time something happens within the Yankees' big spotlight, it tends to draw more notice.

So we have what appears to be a piercing — or more specifically, as Sam noted, a surface piercing — in the middle of a neck tattoo. The question everyone is asking upon noticing is whether or not Crisp should be allowed to play with that thing in his neck.
It's not something that would cause a distraction to opposing pitchers. Heck, Barry Bonds' dangling cross earring arguably drew more attention back in its day...

sf2fanatic said:
Kemp is gonna earn big $$$. Can they afford him?

He's cost controlled for at least another couple of years though, no? Isn't he only like 26 years old? How do you not build around him and Kershaw? Man if he does get traded that will suck for Dodger fans. Their best overall players since Piazza and he ends up getting Piazza'd lol

Windu

Ninja Scooter said:
He's cost controlled for at least another couple of years though, no? Isn't he only like 26 years old? How do you not build around him and Kershaw? Man if he does get traded that will suck for Dodger fans. Their best overall players since Piazza and he ends up getting Piazza'd lol
one more year of arbitration before free agency.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ninja Scooter said:

Nope, just arbitration eligible in 2012 and that's it.

How do they not build around those guys? When Frank McCourt is the owner. For Dodgers fans sake I hope they have new ownership firmly in place by the time a decision has to be made on these things.

Windu said:
one more year of arbitration before free agency.

If he has another season like this one, he'll probably ask for A-Gon/Tex/Whatever Prince/Pujols get this season. I guess if the Dodger's financial situation hasn't been sorted by then there's no chance they commit that kind of money while the team is for sale. Shame, especially if he goes to Anaheim or something

darkside31337 said:
Nope, just arbitration eligible in 2012 and that's it.

How do they not build around those guys? When Frank McCourt is the owner. For Dodgers fans sake I hope they have new ownership firmly in place by the time a decision has to be made on these things.
Matt Kemp for Jason Bay. Bay is locked up for 2 more years, McCourt gotta like that!

If Andre is making 9m+ this year. Kemp gonna ask for 10m and so will Kersh..

Prob get Brox for cheaper value but right now Guerra looks good.

Next year can actually be good. Alot of money will be available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom