• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
So how many more games do the Braves need to lose in a row so they can arrive at 10,000-10,000 all-time?

eznark

Banned
Sharp said:
With idiots like Sabean in charge, I guess I shouldn't bet against it. I wish I knew how to get into the old boys' club that is MLB management positions, because it seems like regardless of how bad you are at your job or how poorly you do in the many chances you're given, you can always find another.

No different than upper management in most industries.

eznark said:
The minute he said he pretty much stopped caring because he was bored at A I knew the guy was a twat for life.

There's definitely no un-doucheing that kid. I hope he provides years of entertainment, though, in several different ways.

Also, someone remind Colon to re-up his deal with the devil for the second half.

Joey Fox said:
So how many more games do the Braves need to lose in a row so they can arrive at 10,000-10,000 all-time?

MEH10K

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Joey Fox said:
We need to go 1-8, we were .500 earlier in the year already though. First time since the 1920s or something.

Sharp

Joe Shlabotnik said:
There's definitely no un-doucheing that kid. I hope he provides years of entertainment, though, in several different ways.
My take on Bryce is basically that he will be
tumblr_lhk7chEx851qh5yiho1_400.jpg

and will later be
a-rod.jpg

and I am totally okay with that.

Sharp

Windu said:
so he won't win a championship with the nationals.
Probably not. As the Braves demonstrated, you can get to the playoffs for years and years in a row but that doesn't mean you'll win anything.
eznark said:
As soon as they move him though, the Nationals will win 100+ games.
Sounds good! Does that mean we're transferring to the AL West?

mYm|17|

Going to my first Braves game tonight. Friend got tickets from work down the 1st base line.

Hopefully this shitty weather will go away

It's interesting how different Harper and Strasburg are, despite similar prodigal upbringings. Strasburg has always come off to me as pretty humble, whereas this other guy has a severe chip on his shoulder, which may become a detriment when he gets to the show. I'd like to see him blow a kiss to Aroldis Chapman just to see what happens the next time they face one another.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Somebody needs to horse whisper Bryce into believing he can turn the Nationals into the 21st Century version of the Yankees. None of that will work if they don't win at least two in his rookie contract I'm guessing. The window is opening!

Sharp

Stras is humble because he was a fatass who barely got onto his college team and then, at the moment he was most likely to start turning douchey, he got injured and is only now finishing up his recovery, which taught him not to take his talent for granted. Bryce is an arrogant asshole who had his picture on the cover of SI when he was like 13 and has spent his life being told he is destined to be the greatest player ever. He has never had a significant setback and nearly always been the best player on every team/league he was on/in. Ultimately I doubt either of them will be on the Nats in ten years, but I bet there will be a very different narrative when they leave.

eznark

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
It's interesting how different Harper and Strasburg are, despite similar prodigal upbringings. Strasburg has always come off to me as pretty humble, whereas this other guy has a severe chip on his shoulder, which may become a detriment when he gets to the show. I'd like to see him blow a kiss to Aroldis Chapman just to see what happens the next time they face one another.

Aroldis Chapman will probably walk him and the next four batters he faces?

Sharp said:
Stras is humble because he was a fatass who barely got onto his college team and then, at the moment he was most likely to start turning douchey, he got injured and is only now finishing up his recovery, which taught him not to take his talent for granted. Bryce is an arrogant asshole who had his picture on the cover of SI when he was like 13 and has spent his life being told he is destined to be the greatest player ever. He has never had a significant setback and nearly always been the best player on every team/league he was on/in. Ultimately I doubt either of them will be on the Nats in ten years, but I bet there will be a very different narrative when they leave.
This I was unaware of, impressive what he's been able to accomplish.

I think if he's healthy and successful with the club Strasburg will resign. This is the first truly marquee arm the Nats have had in forever, and they'd be fools not to offer him big money. Harper is a lost cause though, I have absolutely no doubt he's bolting for nine figures in a top-tier market.

eznark said:
Aroldis Chapman will probably walk him and the next four batters he faces?

As long as one of those balls whistles past Harper's head, I'll be satisfied. Harper shits his pants, Cincinnati loses, win-win for me!

eznark

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
This I was unaware of, impressive what he's been able to accomplish.

I think if he's healthy and successful with the club Strasburg will resign. This is the first truly marquee arm the Nats have had in forever, and they'd be fools not to offer him big money. Harper is a lost cause though, I have absolutely no doubt he's bolting for nine figures in a top-tier market.

Hitters (especially recently) are significantly easier to resign. Guy may be a giant douche but being set for life is being set for life.

I do think if Harper gets a Tulo/Braun deal he will totally shut it down and go JRuss.

Sharp

Heh. I don't think Stras is staying with the team because if he pans out as a top ace like I expect he will follow the path of virtually all top aces thinking about their HoF resumes (which is to say, he'll gravitate towards perennial contenders). If he struggles to come back, which I don't think will happen but is definitely a possibility, the Nats will have no incentive to resign him and he'll wander around the league Kerry Wood style. The only way he stays with the club is if the Nats somehow manage to become and stay an elite team for years and years and years and get him lots of wins. I'd love that to happen but I'm definitely not banking on it.
talisayNon said:
fuck you all for already declaring Bryce Harper a bust.

He's the savior of my 10 person keeper league =(
Oh, he won't bust. He'll be an excellent player. But his off the field antics will be the stuff of legend.

eznark

Banned
talisayNon said:
fuck you all for already declaring Bryce Harper a bust.

He's the savior of my 10 person keeper league =(

You donna reed gud

We're saying he is a pollo level douche, but will be a good baseball player.

eznark

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
Who said he's a bust? Ez and I just think he's a twat.

To be fair to you and I, I have never heard or read anyone ever say anything different. The kid is a 5 Star Asshole. He knows it as well as anyone else. His attitude is more glaringly douchey than Brett Lawrie, and that is saying something.

Yeah, the supremely talented douches are the best kind, because they walk the walk and they've sort of earned it, so it's just entertaining. Although it's hilarious that Harper's twattiness is somehow managing to surpass his prodigious talent.

Also lol at Chapman putting a cartoonish baseball-sized hole through Harper's helmet and head. Catcher and umpire all peering through it from the other side

Harper is a dickhead, but the arrogance may make for good entertainment. Baseball can't survive off the comedic stylings of Tony Plush forever. That's why football reigns supreme, so many marketable characters.

ConradCervantes said:
Harper is a dickhead, but the arrogance may make for good entertainment. Baseball can't survive off the comedic stylings of Tony Plush forever. That's why football reigns supreme, so many marketable characters.

Yeah, that's why football is successful.

cuevas said:
Yeah, that's why football is successful.
Well, the sport in itself brings millions of viewers and fans, but football has much more personality, I'd say. It's more of a spectacle, which greatly aids its financial success.

verbum

Bryce Harper reminds me of Chipper Jones. If he gets the right manager after a couple of years, he will settle down as a good player.
Jones did not wear a halo in the minors and got in a fight with Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez.

verbum

Martin Prado will apparently start tonight against the Nationals. He will play 3B. It will be interesting to see the BO tonight.
Shafer still 1st with Prado second? Or Prado first with Heyward second?

Sanjuro

Baseball is the most popular sport where individual performance is important.

Just because some moron tweets nonsense or a guy falls out of a truck does not mean they have more personality. You see the players every day. Hear their comments daily. Not shrouded in helmets and pads. Etc. etc.

Windu

verbum said:
Martin Prado will apparently start tonight against the Nationals. He will play 3B. It will be interesting to see the BO tonight.
Shafer still 1st with Prado second? Or Prado first with Heyward second?
it will be this, unfortunately.

Windu

then again, it could be Schafer, Gonzo, Prado, etc.. which would not suprise me.

wishes for bubbles to become the manager

edit: i wish i lived in atlanta, i would bring a sign with a few tips on how to manage to a game.

verbum

Windu said:
then again, it could be Schafer, Gonzo, Prado, etc.. which would not suprise me.

edit: i wish i lived in atlanta, i would bring a sign with a few tips on how to manage to a game.

You could hire a plane to tow a banner.

"USE YOUR CLOSER IN HIGH LEVERAGE SITUATIONS DAMMIT!"

Windu

that is how i will use all my lottery winnings if i ever win. Every day there will be a new tip.

Enron

Banned
Windu said:

I do live in atlanta (like 3 miles from the stadium) and I might do this next time I get dugout seats. In fact, i'll put a shoutout to mlbGAF on the bottom of the sign in case i get on tv!

Maxim726X

ConradCervantes said:

Sometimes that chip can make someone a better player...

He may have good reason to be this full of himself. Time will tell.

eznark

Banned
bluemax said:
Some of the best players of all time were massive douche bags.

Look at Bonds, Clemens, or Ty Cobb!

Sure, but Harper seems more like the "I'm a douche because I'm better than you" where as the guys you list were assholes because they were driven to succeed.

I'll take the maniacally focused, self-centered ass hole over a lazy twat who coasts on talent (which maybe Harper doesn't but that interview from last week sure made it seem like he does).

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Sorry guys, but is anyone else pumped for Nationals-Braves this weekend?!

Two of the larger actively posting MLB-GAF franchises squaring off to do, what? We don't know exactly what's going to happen except for 27+ innings of baseball.

Besides winning, what I'm hoping for most is the spark of some division rivalry. Obviously it has to happen on the field, when's the last time the Nationals plunked the other team's guy for throwing at Espinosa?, but it can start here too.

Get your .gifs ready Nats-Gaf!

mxQJI.gif

Mine will be pretty shit until I get a better Internet connection Tuesday, but still. Espinosa gets me pumped.. up! Go Nats!

Sharp

I'm pretty sure that interview was Harper trying to justify a slump, actually. I think he is easily arrogant enough to believe that if he's not hitting it must be because his heart's not into it. Make no mistake, though, he's a very hard worker. Shit, Greinke said the same thing about pitching for the Royals, and then he goes to the Brewers and gives up five runs per nine, and Harper was kept in low A a little too long. The two of them just lack the self-awareness to keep their mouths shut.

And yes I am excited for Nationals-Braves, if only to see whether our pitchers' luck keeps up.

Sharp

Also, I don't think anyone actually throws at Espinosa. He's just very good at getting in the way of balls like Utley. Fuck him by the way, fucker deserved his hand broken crowding the plate like that against a shitty pitcher like Lannan.

Maxim726X

Sharp said:
I'm pretty sure that interview was Harper trying to justify a slump, actually. I think he is easily arrogant enough to believe that if he's not hitting it must be because his heart's not into it. Make no mistake, though, he's a very hard worker. Shit, Greinke said the same thing about pitching for the Royals, and then he goes to the Brewers and gives up five runs per nine, and Harper was kept in low A a little too long. The two of them just lack the self-awareness to keep their mouths shut.

And yes I am excited for Nationals-Braves, if only to see whether our pitchers' luck keeps up.

Seriously. Why is it that people infer that players have a bad work ethic because they're pompous? They know as well as anyone that talent alone doesn't make someone elite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom