• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
so, are we going to have another epic extra inning game tonight? Reds/Giants in the bottom of the 13th.
JABEE said:
No. They throw it at him because he can't hit it and can't lay off of it. He's not having a good year, but he's still a good player.
i'd say that is a good reason to expect him to see more of the same type of pitches.

bluemax

Banned
In 2006 almost 40% of Ryan Howard's fly balls went for home runs.

In 2011 only 18% of Ryan Howard's fly balls are going for home runs.

In 2006 36.25 of Ryan Howard's balls in play were fly balls.

In 2011 40% of Ryan Howard's balls in play are fly balls.

Anywho, I'm headed out to see the Slackers. Night kiddos!

eznark

Banned
Windu said:
so, are we going to have another epic extra inning game tonight? Reds/Giants in the bottom of the 13th.

Reds don't have the bullpen to take this game that long. They need to win it here.

bluemax said:
In 2009 Ryan Howard hit 48 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he saw that season were fastballs.

In 2011 Ryan Howard is on pace to hit 32 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he has seen this season are fastballs.

Get out of here with your science, commie! BELIEVE IN THE RBI!

JABEE said:
No. They throw it at him because he can't hit it and can't lay off of it. He's not having a good year, but he's still a good player.

Or...he's a near 32 year old player exiting his physical prime at an age that a lot of athletes do?

LJ11

bluemax said:
In 2009 Ryan Howard hit 48 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he saw that season were fastballs.

In 2011 Ryan Howard is on pace to hit 32 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he has seen this season are fastballs.

BAHAHAHAHA

bluemax

Banned
JABEE said:
eznark said:

Fangraphs doesn't give strike to ball ratios (just raw numbers) but he's seen 753 balls and 1071 strikes this season.

He is also posting his second highest out of zone swinging percentage of his career.

His power numbers and plate discipline numbers get worse every year. Looks like a player in a massive decline.

Windu

eznark said:
Reds don't have the bullpen to take this game that long. They need to win it here.
Scott Proctor threw 3 scoreless innings! Anything can happen!

Lambtron said:
No one else has his skillset. He's the most prolific home run hitter of all time.

On his Hall of Fame plaque it will read "HOLDS THE RECORD FOR MOST NATIONAL LEAGUE NON-STEROID ASSISTED HOME RUNS BY A MAN NAMED RYAN WITHOUT THE LAST NAME MARIS OF ALL TIME"

Windu

@jcrasnick said:
I didn't think Michael Bourn was on #Braves radar, but apparently he is now. Ryan Ludwick more down the list of options. #trades
go go wren

JABEE

Ninja Scooter said:
Or...he's a near 32 year old player exiting his physical prime at an age that a lot of athletes do?
He may be, but he's still a good player at 32. He may be overpaid, but he's not "lol Ryan Howard." He's been a good player for years and is having an off year. I can understand that his contract and performance this year could be something to say is funny coming from rival fans, but to say he is mediocre is a little bit too much. Players have bad years and good years. Howard has had plenty of really good years before signing his extension. Howard is having a bad year where he is still knocking in runs. I feel maybe my responses have been a little too strong in order to fight back against the strong responses on the other side. Howard may never return to his previous success but I'm not sold on the idea that he's never going to hit 40 HRs again and be a top player in the league. Maybe that is just me being too much of a fan.

eznark

Banned
Corran Horn said:
9u9eb.jpg

JABEE said:
He may be, but he's still a good player at 32. He may be overpaid, but he's not "lol Ryan Howard." He's been a good player for years and is having an off year. I can understand that his contract and performance this year could be something to say is funny coming from rival fans, but to say he is mediocre is a little bit too much. Players have bad years and good years. Howard has had plenty of really good years before signing his extension. Howard is having a bad year where he is still knocking in runs. I feel maybe my responses have been a little too strong in order to fight back against the strong responses on the other side. Howard may never return to his previous success but I'm not sold on the idea that he's never going to hit 40 HRs again and be a top player in the league. Maybe that is just me being too much of a fan.

But the statistics don't lie and the statistics LITERALLY say he's mediocre this year. And there is no reason to think it's unfathomable that this year is some kind of outlier, and not the start of a steady decline for a 32 year old power hitter. Welcome to the PED-less era.

I don't think most people here poke fun at Howard personally, he may be a nice guy, he had a nice little 4-5 year peak, but that's probably over now. All the RBI in the world won't change that. The reason it has become a running joke was because of that horrible contract the Phillies decided to give him for absolutely no reason (nobody on the open market would offer him that) that for some reason some Phil fans seem to feel the need to irrationally defend. Yankee fans seem to be at peace with the fact that A-Rod is horribly overpaid and that contract will be uglier than Cameron Diaz w/o makeup in a few years, this is the same (probably worse, honestly) situation.

edit: JESUS CHRIST JABEE LEARN HOW TO QUOTE!

JABEE

Ninja Scooter said:
But the statistics don't lie and the statistics LITERALLY say he's mediocre this year. And there is no reason to think it's unfathomable that this year is some kind of outlier, and not the start of a steady decline for a 32 year old power hitter. Welcome to the PED-less era.

I don't think most people here poke fun at Howard personally, he may be a nice guy, he had a nice little 4-5 year peak, but that's probably over now. All the RBI in the world won't change that. The reason it has become a running joke was because of that horrible contract the Phillies decided to give him for absolutely no reason (nobody on the open market would offer him that) that for some reason some Phil fans seem to feel the need to irrationally defend. Yankee fans seem to be at peace with the fact that A-Rod is horribly overpaid and that contract will be uglier than Cameron Diaz w/o makeup in a few years, this is the same (probably worse, honestly) situation.

edit: JESUS CHRIST JABEE LEARN HOW TO QUOTE!
I'm on the mobile app. I think something messed up. I do agree this could mean he's on the decline. I'd just like to believe otherwise. I guess we'll see.

Windu

Doytch said:
ugly pos kevin gregg gon blow this game.
its amazing he is still on their roster.

edit: ok, i guess the ridiculous contract helps. but still, he should be pitching in a 10-0 situation and nothing else.

Macattk15

bluemax said:

george-takei-oh-my-%2528n1295487684071%2529.jpg

Windu

woah woah woah. Domonic Brown is being sent down?! That can't be true can it? that would be fucking stupid.

JABEE

Windu said:
woah woah woah. Domonic Brown is being sent down?! That can't be true can it? that would be fucking stupid.
If they do that they can let him get some playing time and then call him up in September to hit off the bench. I'm not sure what they're doing yet. Did they announce anything?

Windu

JABEE said:
If they do that they can let him get some playing time and then call him up in September to hit off the bench. I'm not sure what they're doing yet. Did they announce anything?
no i don't anything officially yet, just seems like that is the rumor going around that they are planning that. I would think they would put brown or pence in LF to replace Ibanez who has been awful.

Windu said:
still has a year left. 9.5 mil in 2012
... Brown, Pence, Mayberry Jr. (who they also like), Francisco, Victorino, Ibanez. Where they playing these guys? It's not like the Giants' situation where they hate Huff/Rowand/Torres.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The Frankman said:
... Brown, Pence, Mayberry Jr. (who they also like), Francisco, Victorino, Ibanez. Where they playing these guys? It's not like the Giants' situation where they hate Huff/Rowand/Torres.

Ibanez won't make it till the end of the season let alone till 2012.

Is Jason Heyward expected to explode in his third year or is he considered now to be not the legendary prospect he was considered to be just like 16 months ago? Or will he take more time than just one more year? I don't follow baseball that much, but I'm interested in his career arc.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Lambtron said:
I'm sure you can pry Cuddyer away from the Twins with just one. :)
I'd rather take Span. You can have two of our RP prospects.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Is Jason Heyward expected to explode in his third year or is he considered now to be not the legendary prospect he was considered to be just like 16 months ago? Or will he take more time than just one more year? I don't follow baseball that much, but I'm interested in his career arc.
It's really tough to say at this point. He showed a tremendous ability to control the strike zone last season as a rookie, but since then all the injuries he's been inflicted with seem to have messed with his mechanics. Of course, on the other hand, he is currently rocking a really low batting average on balls in play (BABIP), a statistic that controls for the rate of balls put into play that land for hits, which is a generally random and luck based effect. His true talent level probably lies somewhere in between his stats this year and those he put up last year, but you never know what might happen.

Windu

He has been battling a shoulder injury all year which i think created some bad habits with his swing mechanics. And i also think he is still hurt and came back too early, Chipper Jones called him out earlier in the season for staying on the DL too long, apparently chipper is now a doctor or something. Anyway, i don't think he is fully healthy and has changed his swing to compensate for it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
He has been battling a shoulder injury all year which i think created some bad habits with his swing mechanics. And i also think he is still hurt and came back too early, Chipper Jones called him out earlier in the season for staying on the DL too long, apparently chipper is now a doctor or something. Anyway, i don't think he is fully healthy and has changed his swing to compensate for it.

295uvpt.jpg

I expect Heyward to bounce back big time next season. Think his talent is just too good to be a completely pedestrian player although that happens all the time. Usually that happens when a guy is insanely lazy like a BJ Upton and Heyward doesn't strike me as that kind of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom