• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

The Frankman said:
GO BACK TO THE DANK DEPTHS OF YER HOLE, YA FILTHY MCNASTY!

... that hole around you appears to be getting larger.
Except I'm right. Who has hit more homeruns in a shorter period of time than Howard? Jose Bautista hasnt hit 58.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
JABEE said:
This year is a down year for Howard, yet he still leads the league in RBIs.
Don't have time to look it up, but I'm positive he's also leading the league on number of runners on when he comes up to bat. Not that there's a relationship between those things.

Lambtron said:
Don't have time to look it up, but I'm positive he's also leading the league on number of runners on when he comes up to bat. Not that there's a relationship between those things.

Howard is so good his mere presence at the on-deck circle helps the 1, 2 and 3 hitters in his lineup get on base. If that's not worth $25 million a year I don't know what is.

JABEE

hemtae said:
Didn't we just have this argument this morning?
Yes we did. I was greeted with the equivalent of laughing smilies. Utley should have been team MVP in 2006. No one has told me who has hit more home runs in such a short period of time.

JABEE

Ninja Scooter said:
Howard is so good his mere presence at the on-deck circle helps the 1, 2 and 3 hitters in his lineup get on base. If that's not worth $25 million a year I don't know what is.
They may have paid too much, but he isn't slop like the people here lead you to believe.

Macattk15

Bahahaha holy shit guys ... tune into the M's game. This is hilarious. I was going to turn it off .... but I want to see Ichiro on the mound tonight.

rhfb said:
You should have waited, its 8-0 now, only top of the 2nd too. These are the Mariners I know :(

Yeah I was still following LookoutLanding ... turned it back on. This is hilarious.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
JABEE said:
Yes we did. I was greeted with the equivalent of laughing smilies. Utley should have been team MVP in 2006. No one has told me who has hit more home runs in such a short period of time.
probably because no one gives a shit

Doytch

JABEE said:
good thing they're replacing the season with 162 home run derbies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ninja Scooter said:
He's gonna be near slop for the last few years of that contract.

You're being generous, he's already slop before the extension even started.

Ryan Howard has been roughly the 20th best 1B in baseball this season. Is he better than that? Track record would indicate so but not really by that much. And nowhere near 25 million per for the next 5.

JABEE

Ninja Scooter said:
He's gonna be near slop for the last few years of that contract.
You might think so. He'll only be about 35. I just don't understand the hate for Howard.

Edit: I think he'll actually be 37

Jubs

JABEE said:
Fastest to 200 and 250. 4 seasons of 45+ HR and 135+ RBIs. Maybe 3 other players in history have done that. Howard got injured last year at the midway point hitting close to 300. This year is a down year for Howard, yet he still leads the league in RBIs.

ryan-howard-strikeout.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JABEE said:
You might think so. He'll only be about 35. I just don't understand the hate for Howard.

Edit: I think he'll actually be 37
He's already mediocre. That might be generous.

JABEE said:

Unless steroids and HGH get completely legal and he doesn't follow a normal baseball career arc for the type of game he has, he is going to age terribly.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Bye Pence :(

So sick of Philly and want Ed Wade out of Htown.

Windu

@kenrosenthal said:
Source: #Astros wanted two of #Braves' top four pitching prospects, plus another young pitcher Braves regarded highly. #tradedeadline #MLB
wow

JABEE

Y2Kev said:
He's already mediocre. That might be generous.
You can believe what you want to believe. When Howard starts getting fastballs again with a RH bat behind him, he'll be improving on his 20 HR, 77 RBI season that is only part of the way finished and is a down year for him.

JABEE

Ninja Scooter said:
So has Aubrey Huff. Someone give him $25 million!
Call me when Huff puts up 58 and 149 and wins MVP. Call me when he hits over 40 HRs...call me when he hits 30. There is no reason to argue when you aren't even presenting proper argument. The Braves fan put up a picture of Howard striking out against Wilson in the NLCS. My argument is Howard has been an integral part of a WS team. That picture response was ridiculous.

Edit:Huff hit 30 like 8 years ago, but it really doesn't coincide with the picture I was responding to.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
hemtae said:
Well this is probably going to be his last season

Yea the new ownership better boot his ass.

eznark

Banned
bluemax said:
OH

MY

GOD

JABEE

This guy is totally trolling us right? He has to be trolling us!

LOOK AT THE RBI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Why do you continue to stick to basic stats that don't really detail a player's true performance?

Oh wait, never mind... :p

JABEE said:
Call me when Huff puts up 58 and 149 and wins MVP. Call me when he hits over 40 HRs...call me when he hits 30. There is no reason to argue when you aren't even presenting proper argument. The Braves fan put up a picture of Howard striking out against Wilson in the NLCS. My argument is Howard has been an integral part of a WS team. That picture response was ridiculous.

Edit:Huff hit 30 like 8 years ago, but it really doesn't coincide with the picture I was responding to.
Derek Jeter has 3,000 hits. He's the ONLY YANKEE TO DO THIS. He is obviously worth $17 mil a year.

JABEE

eznark said:
LOOK AT THE RBI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Look at the HRs. Look at the major awards. Look at his consistency. 45+ HRs and 135+ RBIs in 4 straight seasons. His down year is better than most player's good years.

Windu

i could probably drive in 50 RBIs if i hit in the middle of a major league lineup.

edit: ok probably not, no way i could catch up to a 80 mph fastball. But, you get my point...well you probably don't but whatever.

JABEE

CajoleJuice said:
Derek Jeter has 3,000 hits. He's the ONLY YANKEE TO DO THIS. He is obviously worth $17 mil a year.
Howard's was hitting close to 300 last year ad was on pace to hit to his average of 35+ HRs and 120 + RBIs from the midway point. He rolled his ankle ad wasn't the same last year. He also has a history being the top HR hitter and run producer the past 6 years. Calling him mediocre is hyperbole.

eznark

Banned
JABEE said:
Look at the HRs. Look at the major awards. Look at his consistency. 45+ HRs and 135+ RBIs in 4 straight seasons. His down year is better than most player's good years.

Love it

Look at the consistently downward trending slugging and on-base numbers, you mean?

JABEE

eznark said:
Love it

Look at the consistently downward trending slugging and on-base numbers, you mean?
Look at the rest of my post. Also He has been injured since midway through last season and played through it. He's receive nothing but junk this entire season.

bluemax

Banned
JABEE said:

He's the 20th some odd best first baseman in baseball this year. I don't know what players good years those are, but they're not good players.

Raphael Palmeiro once won a gold glove in a season in which he didn't play first. The media is not infallible when awarding players.

JABEE said:
Look at the rest of my post. Also He has been injured since midway through last season and played through it. He's receive nothing but junk this entire season.

He's old and overweight. He's not going to get LESS injured from here on out.

JABEE said:
It's not going to get any better with a good RHH behind him (except for the select case where a manager decides to leave a righty in instead of bringing in a lefty, so I guess it helps A TINY BIT), as it's been proven that lineup protection is a myth. He's going to be fed breaking stuff until he retires or learns how to hit it.

bluemax

Banned
JABEE said:

In 2009 Ryan Howard hit 48 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he saw that season were fastballs.

In 2011 Ryan Howard is on pace to hit 32 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he has seen this season are fastballs.

eznark

Banned
JABEE said:
Look at the rest of my post. Also He has been injured since midway through last season and played through it. He's receive nothing but junk this entire season.[/QUOTE]

You seem to think pitches are random?

bluemax said:
In 2009 Ryan Howard hit 48 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he saw that season were fastballs.

In 2011 Ryan Howard is on pace to hit 32 home runs. 44.8% of the pitches he has seen this season are fastballs.
Well damn, you just blew up a lot of shit with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom