• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doytch

Fenix said:
The only thing that bugs me is the Davis/Snider change. Mac for Hill is no big deal.

At least Mills doesn't have to face Hamilton/Cruz/Beltre today.
Yeah, though maybe someone'll sit him down and tell him to take a friggin walk every now and again.

Also, cross-posting from DJF: "Anyone else listen to Friday's PTS interview with Zaun? Interesting stuff about Cibia's defense, and his lack of growth, and possible regression throughout the year. I pretty much agreed with everything he said, except him slamming Wieters, and his bitching about catchers not blocking the plate."

GOOD THING WE TRADED THAT BUM MICHAEL YOUNG

Fenix

Doytch said:
Yeah, though maybe someone'll sit him down and tell him to take a friggin walk every now and again.

Also, cross-posting from DJF: "Anyone else listen to Friday's PTS interview with Zaun? Interesting stuff about Cibia's defense, and his lack of growth, and possible regression throughout the year. I pretty much agreed with everything he said, except him slamming Wieters, and his bitching about catchers not blocking the plate."

GOOD THING WE TRADED THAT BUM MICHAEL YOUNG
It feels like JP's defense started to slide at the same time his offense did, when his thumb got hurt. Since he seems better now, we'll see how the defense pans out for the rest of the season. The thing that bugs me is the CS%

TABLER STOP TALKING ABOUT cERA, IT IS MEANINGLESS.

Maxim726X said:
His ERA has skyrocketed, though... Last night was a good start, hopefully he can build on it.
Yeah, he has an annoying habit of ditching his 4-pitch approach and throwing like 75-80% fastballs, which is weird because he's usually a 3.5 pitch pitcher (FB, change, curve + average slider). I think it was because he got a big lead and went into contact mode.

Doytch

Fenix said:
It feels like JP's defense started to slide at the same time his offense did, when his thumb got hurt. Since he seems better now, we'll see how the defense pans out for the rest of the season. The thing that bugs me is the CS%

TABLER STOP TALKING ABOUT cERA, IT IS MEANINGLESS.
Love the mlb.tv PS3 app, with Howarth/Ashby audio. Ashby was also just commenting on JP, saying that while he does call a really good game, and he likes his sequences, there is "room for improvement in other areas." Howarth, pure gold, returns that there's room for improvement with all of us.

JABEE

Phillies asked Twins about Jim Thome. I don't know if they'd trade him. Charlie Manuel likes to think of him as a son. Phils are also interested in Giambi according to Jayson Stark.

JABEE said:
Phillies asked Twins about Jim Thome. I don't know if they'd trade him. Charlie Manuel likes to think of him as a son. Phils are also interested in Giambi according to Jayson Stark.
But why would they be looking at 1B when they have future Hall of Famer and crusher of fastballs Ryan Howard in the lineup?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Scooter said:
But why would they be looking at 1B when they have future Hall of Famer and crusher of fastballs Ryan Howard in the lineup?
Honestly I don't think Thome owns a baseball glove. I could see the Twins putting Thome through waivers after he hits 600 homers if they fall completely out of the race.

Lambtron said:
Honestly I don't think Thome owns a baseball glove. I could see the Twins putting Thome through waivers after he hits 600 homers if they fall completely out of the race.

I miss Thome :[

Trade you dunn for him!

JABEE

Lambtron said:
The Philles would probably be blocked from getting him if he was put on waivers. Would the Twins trade him before 600?

Edit:
Buster Olney said:
A strong belief in the ATL organization that the package they offered for Pence was markedly better than deal HOU made with Philadelphia.

Ed Wade made a great deal. Hahaha
Also Houston gave Phillies 2 Million dollars according to The Houston Chronicle. The Phillies will only have to pay a quarter of a million dollars of his salary for the rest of the year.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
JABEE said:
Ed Wade made a great deal. Hahaha
he potentially made a amazing deal. Of course these prospects are high risk/reward type guys but this could turn a good deal into a fantastic one.

Doytch

Windu said:
he potentially made a amazing deal. Of course these prospects are high risk/reward type guys but this could turn a good deal into a fantastic one.
And of course ATL is gonna say their package was better. Teams always overrate their own prospects. It's like Cashman always bitching about their being a Yankee tax when trading.

JABEE

Windu said:
I like what the Phillies did on this move. They got a solid RH outfielder and gave up A prospects that are 2-3 years away. I just think it funny that Wade who used to be GM to Amar's Assistant GM making deals with the Phillies that are markedly less compensation according to Braves sources. After last year when the Phillies sold high on Happ for Oswalt, I think they made a great deal. Cosart and Singleton could be great players, but they are still a few years away and a lot can happen between Single A to the Bigs.

Windu

Doytch said:
And of course ATL is gonna say their package was better. Teams always overrate their own prospects. It's like Cashman always bitching about their being a Yankee tax when trading.
well apparently, Buster Olney is saying we would have included Minor. I think that makes our package better. Thankfully, the astros didn't agree to that.

Doytch

Windu said:
well apparently, Buster Olney is saying we would have included Minor. I think that makes our package better. Thankfully, the astros didn't agree to that.
I dunno what the rest was, but it's an upside play like you said. Minor isn't likely to be more than a #4, while Cosart, with a tweak to his delivery could be a fringe #1, #2 according to scouts. The worry is about him handling a 200-inning workload, not about his stuff.

I'm a fan of aggressively seeking upside, so I'd rather Cosart than Minor in a vacuum.

Windu

Doytch said:
I dunno what the rest was, but it's an upside play like you said. Minor isn't likely to be more than a #4, while Cosart, with a tweak to his delivery could be a fringe #1, #2 according to scouts. The worry is about him handling a 200-inning workload, not about his stuff.

I'm a fan of aggressively seeking upside, so I'd rather Cosart than Minor in a vacuum.
i think Minor can be more than a #4. I'd say his potential is as a #3 starter. He doesn't have a high a ceiling as Cosart, but he doesn't have the low ceiling either. At worst, i think he will be a #4 starter.

Windu said:
i think Minor can be more than a #4. I'd say his potential is as a #3 starter. He doesn't have a high a ceiling as Cosart, but he doesn't have the low ceiling either. At worst, i think he will be a #4 starter.
I agree with this.

Doytch

Windu said:
I don't think I've ever watched him....maybe once...just going off what I've read. Course, most scouts will say #X, but in the NL, that can translate to a #X-1.

Holland's delivery really reminds me of a sped-up Halladay, and from the left side, natch. Youtube vids have a different delivery, did he change it?

Doytch

BigJonsson said:
Supposedly the Rangers, Cards and Jays are the leaders in the Heath Bell sweepstakes.......why are the Jays in on this
Two draft picks. Picks are more valuable to the Jays than other teams since they're aggressive with them.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Doytch said:
I don't think I've ever watched him....maybe once...just going off what I've read. Course, most scouts will say #X, but in the NL, that can translate to a #X-1.

Holland's delivery really reminds me of a sped-up Halladay, and from the left side, natch.

That'll be true until next year when the NL finally does away with pitchers hitting. Hopefully. I don't understand why there's any resistance to this move, the union should be fully behind a change that will create 15 roster spots for old aging veterans who can't field anymore and prospects like Brett Lawrie who can't play in the NL.

In general though the NL isn't that far different from the AL. NL OPS on average is about .015 less than the AL (.721 vs .704 league average this season) and it's basically entirely because of the DH.

darkside31337 said:
That'll be true until next year when the AL finally does away with the DH
fixed. DH is a relic of the gimmick 70s and is a detriment to strategy. i love watching inter-league and watching the AL managers fail at doubleswitching and bunting.

Doytch

The Frankman said:
fixed. DH is a relic of the gimmick 70s and is a detriment to strategy. i love watching inter-league and watching the AL managers fail at doubleswitching and bunting.
I don't feel like arguing this shit today, but "strategy" lol. I'd rather watch a good player than at least two free outs every game. If pitchers could hit I'd agree, but they're asstacular.

Windu

fuck the DH

The AL can't give us classic moments like this

ieaCPS.gif

Doytch said:
I don't feel like arguing this shit today, but "strategy" lol. I'd rather watch a good player than at least two free outs every game. If pitchers could hit I'd agree, but they're asstacular.
The nine on the field all bat. If you don't come on the field you don't play. What's next a designated fielder?

Proctor should've been out for being out of the baseline BTW.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wow I can't believe you guys like watching pitchers "hit".

It is not "strategy" to walk some teams #8 hitter to face a guy with .100 OBP.

And I would rather see more guys like Jim Thome extend their careers than having to watch Roy Halladay try to hit a baseball. Nobody wants or needs to see that crap he does up at the plate.

Extending you career via the DH? Might as well shoot up some roids. It was a gimmick in the 70s, it's a gimmick now. OH BTW, you know what created a shitton of rosters spots over the last 20 years the DH has existed? EXPANSION. So yeah, kill the DH, burn the corpse, and salt the ground so that nothing can ever grow there again.

... yeah Mets should try and trade Pelfrey for Slowey, then Dickey + Beato for Liriano. Twins GM isn't too bright.

Windu

darkside31337 said:
From Adam Kilgore, Nats beat writer:

Dear god Bill Smith is the dumbest GM in baseball.
if that is all it takes and the braves miss out.....

Doytch

Windu said:
if that is all it takes and the braves miss out.....
That's pretty much all it took to get Rasmus... The parallel would be Hinske, Minor, Proctor and O'Flaherty...or something.

Oh, also a good RH reliever.

bluemax

Banned
Maxim726X said:
Wow... There is a lot of hate for Ryan Howard. Even as a Met fan, I would have to admit that he's an offensive force.

I guess he's a sabermetrics nightmare? To me, this is what matters: How does he fare with men on base? Even this season, which is certainly a down year-

RISP: .305 .408 .500 .908.

RISP 2 outs: .310 .444 .552 .996

The guy drives in runs, simple as that. And that's his purpose.

This is bad logic. His job is to hit and be good offensively period.

He's 8th among qualified NL first basemen in Slugging.

He's 11th among qualified NL first basemen in On Base Percentage.

And since you assholes like to keep bringing up RISP stats:

Votto 88 AB 1.269 OPS
Pujols 81 AB .997 OPS
Fielder 96 AB .987 OPS
Morse 77 AB .984 OPS
Howard 118 AB .908 OPS
Murphy 101 AB .899 OPS

Howard has more at bats with runners in scoring position than any other first baseman in the NL, Murphy is the only one within like 20 AB of him. More chances with guys in scoring position == more RBI.

STOP USING RBI AS A METRIC TO JUDGE AN INDIVIDUAL.

Doytch

Continuing the thread from earlier in the game, I really liked JP's form on that throw-out. Ashby said he's liked his form on throws to second between innings too, and said it looks completely different. Here's hoping he picked something up (ie, not throwing from your friggin knees).

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Tim Brown
Source: Yankees have inquired on Minnesota's Span

He's gonna trade Boone Logan for Span straight up.

Aviles was a total fringe guy himself. Guy was so bad he was sent to the minors by the Royals. Royals didn't get back much, but they got a hell of a lot more value out of the 2 guys they got from the absolutely nothing they got out of Aviles.

Celsior

darkside31337 said:
Tim Brown

He's gonna trade Boone Logan for Span straight up.

Aviles was a total fringe guy himself. Guy was so bad he was sent to the minors by the Royals. Royals didn't get back much, but they got a hell of a lot more value out of the 2 guys they got from the absolutely nothing they got out of Aviles.
Unless to flip him I see no reason to do this.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Frankman said:
And then the As fire their manager...lol

Watching AL managers try to deal with no DH is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom