• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2011 MLB Thread v.2: The Mets are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
darkside31337 said:
295uvpt.jpg

I expect Heyward to bounce back big time next season. Think his talent is just too good to be a completely pedestrian player although that happens all the time. Usually that happens when a guy is insanely lazy like a BJ Upton and Heyward doesn't strike me as that kind of player.
yeah, i have no doubt that he will be a monster, just needs to stay healthy which has always been a question mark for him.

Joe

i wonder how good the yankees would be if they decided to go into debt AND deplete their farm system??

silly phillies

It's official. Phillies optioned Domonic Brown to AAA to make room for Pence.

Astros are calling up J.D. Martinez to take Pence's spot.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
AnEternalEnigma said:
It's official. Phillies optioned Domonic Brown to AAA to make room for Pence.

Astros are calling up J.D. Martinez to take Pence's spot.
So they trade for pence to get a minor upgrade in production. lol fucking stupid.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Windu said:
So they trade for pence to get a minor upgrade in production. lol fucking stupid.

And somehow they just traded for a OF yet Raul Ibanez is still playing every day.

Also evidently Zeid wasn't just a total throw-in

Goldstein
Since moving to the bullpen at Double-A Reading in early June, Josh Zeid has gone 16 IP, 10 H, 2 BB, 24 K.

Rosenthal
Two scouts say 3rd player in Pence trade, RHP Josh Zeid, ready for bigs now in 'pen. "I'd kill to get Zeid," one says.

edit:

Looks like Doug Fister is on the market

Crasnick
Tigers making progress on a deal for #Mariners pitcher Doug Fister, says a source

Tigers are hoping to get something done today. Not sure who would be in trade from Detroit's end.

Sanjuro

Trivia question last night was name two pitchers who played for the Red Sox with 300 wins.

I went with CY Young and Tom Seaver, but I knew Clemens did as well.

Fuckers need to re-word their questions. CY and Lefty Grove were the correct because I guess they obtained the milestone wearing the uniform.

Macattk15

Fister :(

I really liked him. Damn.

Gotta see who the F we're getting back. If its just Wells and Furbush + spare parts I'll be real sad.

rando14

Tigers are getting Fister? Wow didn't expect that.

Hopefully he gets a better record in Detroit than that shitty record the M's offense handed him. He's a good pitcher, should do well

EDIT: Wait Pauley too? Oh come on, he's our best reliever!

Macattk15

rando14 said:
Tigers are getting Fister? Wow didn't expect that.

Hopefully he gets a better record in Detroit than that shitty record the M's offense handed him. He's a good pitcher, should do well

EDIT: Wait Pauley too? Oh come on, he's our best reliever!

Meh he is still just a reliever though. We're apparently getting Detroit's #4 prospect in Francisco Martinez so it makes me feel a BIT better, but still not excited.

"Larry Stone of the Seattle Times tweets that the Mariners will also get a player to be named later, and it could be a "pretty significant name.""

Don't know what this means but we shall see.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
MLBTR
The Nationals are pushing setup man Tyler Clippard on the Twins for center fielder Denard Span over closer Drew Storen, tweets Scott Miller of CBS Sports. He says the Twins won't trade Span for a setup man, however.

But they'll trade him for a closer.

Maxim726X

Wow... There is a lot of hate for Ryan Howard. Even as a Met fan, I would have to admit that he's an offensive force.

I guess he's a sabermetrics nightmare? To me, this is what matters: How does he fare with men on base? Even this season, which is certainly a down year-

RISP: .305 .408 .500 .908.

RISP 2 outs: .310 .444 .552 .996

The guy drives in runs, simple as that. And that's his purpose.

Sanjuro

I just remember being at a Mets bar and was talking baseball with some guy. Told him the Phillies have something special in Howard. This was during the season where they eventually won the WS. The guy just got really loud and angry, downed his beer, then left.

Maxim726X said:
Wow... There is a lot of hate for Ryan Howard. Even as a Met fan, I would have to admit that he's an offensive force.

I guess he's a sabermetrics nightmare? To me, this is what matters: How does he fare with men on base? Even this season, which is certainly a down year-

RISP: .305 .408 .500 .908.

RISP 2 outs: .310 .444 .552 .996

The guy drives in runs, simple as that. And that's his purpose.

I am really happy with what Howard has done this year. He has no protection at all in the lineup and yet he still produces. He does swing and miss way to much but he is still a very good player. I think a lot of the hate here for him comes from fans of teams that the Phillies always beat out for the division.

LJ11

yankeehater said:
I am really happy with what Howard has done this year. He has no protection at all in the lineup and yet he still produces. He does swing and miss way to much but he is still a very good player. I think a lot of the hate here for him comes from fans of teams that the Phillies always beat out for the division.

HAHAHAHA

If the Phillies managed to trade Howard tomorrow you'd be in here telling us what an overrated slob he is, that's your MO.

eznark

Banned
Good fucking Christ. Brewers trade for Hairston (a fucking infielder) and still aren't DFA'ing Craig Counsell.

What the mother fuck.

eznark said:
Good fucking Christ. Brewers trade for Hairston (a fucking infielder) and still aren't DFA'ing Craig Counsell.

What the mother fuck.

He's due, man. Any day now. Bloop single into right, then Melvin's trading him while he's hot.

All part of the master plan.

Doytch

It's nice to see that our Ugly Day Game Line-up....isn't actually that ugly. Well, not Natinals or Braves ugly, at least.

Fenix

Doytch said:
It's nice to see that our Ugly Day Game Line-up....isn't actually that ugly. Well, not Natinals or Braves ugly, at least.
The only thing that bugs me is the Davis/Snider change. Mac for Hill is no big deal.

At least Mills doesn't have to face Hamilton/Cruz/Beltre today.

MetsBlog said:
In last night’s 8-5 win over the Nationals, Dillon Gee allowed three runs, two earned on four hits, while walking four and striking out five.

He threw 103 pitches, 59 of which were strikes, and moved to 10-3 with a 3.69 ERA for the year.

This was a complicated outing for Gee. At first, I thought Gee looked as good as he has since he began to struggle at the end of June. He was mixing his pitches, delivering quickly, and moving the ball around the zone very well. He gave up his first hit in the fourth inning, and after that, he got away from throwing all of his pitches and went back to throwing primarily fastballs, which is what had gotten him into trouble over his prior six starts, and last night was no different.

What I liked about this outing was the fact he hung in and didn’t give in after starting to struggle, which is something he has had trouble dealing with over the last six weeks or so. But as Terry Collins has repeatedly said over this span, Gee has to consistently use all of his pitches in order to be successful, and last night was proof of that, both while things were going well and things weren’t going well for him.

Gee is now 3-3 with a 5.01 ERA over his last seven starts, and with the win last night, he now leads all major league rookie starting pitchers in wins with 10:
RookieWinLeaders.png

GROAT.

Gaborn

Square Triangle said:
Turner is pitching today's game and I have to work. FFUUUU

Sooooo happy we're getting a look at Turner in the regular season. Also glad it seems like a one shot deal right now. Like the Fister acquisition too, but for me the BIG prize is seeing Turner today.

eznark

Banned
darkside31337 said:
They'll let him get the record before they put him out of his misery.

He already has the Brewers record (yes...that fucking includes pitchers) the actual record can't be all that far behind. Anyone know what it is? For position players I think it's been 0-46.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
eznark said:
He already has the Brewers record (yes...that fucking includes pitchers) the actual record can't be all that far behind. Anyone know what it is? For position players I think it's been 0-46.

Yeah it's 0-46 for position players. He's almost there might as well let him get it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Cool article about Brett Gardner and how amazing of a player he truly is

I’ve been following the minor leagues for quite some time now, and I’ve been wrong about a lot of players, in both a good way and bad way. I was wrong about Brett Gardner. I saw a guy with little power and thought he’d have trouble handling big league fastballs. I didn’t think the plate discipline he showed in the minors would translate to the show because pitchers had no reason not to challenge him. I undervalued his defense and baserunning. I was wrong. I don’t think I’ve ever been more wrong about a prospect coming up.

The Yankees entrusted Gardner will a full-time job at the start of last season, 257 team games and nearly 900 plate appearances ago (892 to be exact). During that time he’s hit .280/.376/.394 with 73 stolen bases in 92 chances (78.5% success rate). His .359 wOBA since the start of 2010 is sixth best among big league left fielders, his OBP third best. He’s generated 27.0 runs with his bat in that time, another 6.7 with his legs. That 33.7 run offensive contribution is bested only by Josh Hamilton, Ryan Braun, Matt Holliday, and Carlos Gonzalez. Not Carl Crawford, not Martin Prado, not Alfonso Soriano, not anyone else handling left field full-time. Only 13 outfielders total, regardless of field, have topped that production.

The last week has been the best offensive stretch of Gardner’s career; he’s reached base 18 times in seven games since the All-Star break. He has 14 hits in 25 at-bats plus four walks. That’s a .560 batting average and .621 OBP in the seven games. He’s struck out just twice during that time, in part because his 2.9% swing and miss rate since the start of last year is the fourth lowest in baseball. I also underrated his ability to get the bat on the ball. Only six players have seen more than the 4.25 pitches Gardner sees in an average plate appearance this year. I also underrated his ability to work the count.

Then there’s the defense. Oh the defense. UZR doesn’t just rate Gardner as baseball’s best defensive player since the start of last season, he’s lapped the field. The system has him saving 41.6 runs with the glove in that time, well ahead of second place Adrian Beltre and his 20.6 runs saved. If you prefer John Dewan’s +/- system, or DRS, then Gardner is baseball’s third best defensive player (29 runs saved) since the start of 2010 behind Brendan Ryan (36) and Troy Tulowitzki (33). Total Zone has him at 21 runs saved, behind only Jay Bruce, Juan Pierre, and Jose Lopez (all 22). The best thing about Gardner’s defense is that I don’t even need to use numbers, it’s easy to see how he dominates the defensive side of the game just by watching. If a ball gets by him, you know the other team has earned it.

It’s been more than a month since Gardner has been caught stealing a base, and he’s swiped seven bags in the last five days. No AL player has more than his 30 steals this season, and only three players (Michael Bourn, Rajai Davis, and Pierre) have more than his 77 steals since the start of last season. It’s been a long time since the Yankees had this kind of player on their roster, a dynamic leadoff type that did everything but hit for power. A lot of people doubted Gardner’s ability to be an everyday player in this league, including yours truly, but our sample is larger than a year and a half now. Gardner isn’t just one of the best players on the Yankees, he’s one of the very best outfielders in baseball.

I think he's extended his SB streak to 18.

He also made a great diving catch in center to start today's game off. Love the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom