• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

Teddman

SONY/MICROSOFT - THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR CANCELING E3

NINTENDO WAS GOOD, THEY LIKED E3. SO GOOD PRO-E3 KARMA FOR THEM = SALES

KGKK

Banned
Wow at Wii, I've been trying to find one for the past couple of days here in Toronto as my brothers bday is coming up and he wants it as a present. Fucking hard to find though.

WinFonda said:
They're giving them the respect and support their previous efforts have earned them. Which is not much.

In that case, then i guess you would agree its fine for Nintendo to hold grudges? because that's what they do best and you can bet they will keeping an eye on all the 3rd parties who tried to fuck them over :lol

Draft

DeaconKnowledge said:
Only for about 8-10 third party devs. That hardly constitutes the entire industry, and that's only really taking America into account.
Actually with the way everyone's eating everyone else, we'll probably only have 8-10 devs left by the end of this generation :lol

Foil

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
At this point Nintendo could probably raise the price of the Wii and those soccer moms would keep buying them.

That would be the ultimate act of cockiness. Even more so if they advertised it. :lol

price-raise.jpg

Bricfa

NeoUltima said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say MGS4 will sell about a million for the June NPD. I mean, GTAIV did that in 5 days, plus many people with ps3s and 360s probably bought GTAIV on 360. The fact that MGS4 is going to be bundled will help a lot as well. Not to mention the insane marketing it will have. Maybe I'm a bit(ok more than a bit) biased here, but I also feel MGS4 has more hype, at least ps3-wise, than GTAIV did.
And yes, I know GTA has, historically, sold a shit-ton more than MGS.

This.

Mgs4 may not have outsold GTAIV after several years have passed, but MGS4 will cause a PS3 hardware bump larger than GTAIV just because of the 80g bundle. (I know several people in the market who are waiting for an 80g Ps3 to be available.)

LowParry

It still baffles me that with how dominating the Wii is, why it hasn't had full fledged 3rd party support yet. I mean, are developers really wanting to be part of the high def era?

LCGeek

formerly sane
OldJadedGamer said:
FYI, this is an NPD thread which only counts sales in America.

Duh

Yet when you make a blanket argument like PS3 is selling better than Wii 3rd parties the argument changes despite the how the topic is titled. Especially when those making the argument are arguing on WW level. Don't want WW be more specific in the writing not my fault people can't do a simple thing when discussing the subject of sales which is to frame their point and not assume the people seeing it will know what they mean.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I mean, my god, everytime I look at those Wii sales it just ... astounds me.

Then when I think back to the GAF thread where the Wii was unveiled and remember the reactions.. just wow.

NO ONE SAW THIS COMING.

Akai said:
God, most of us aren't calling for a complete abandonment of HD systems (I want to play my 360 too, you know), but for at least SOME sharing of resources to actually make decent Wii games that people want to play...Is that really so much to ask?

Of course the publishers would like to make money on the Wii, but do the developers who have to create the games actually want to work for the Wii? I think that developers like Louis Castle (co-founder of Westwood Studios of C&C fame, and last working on Boom Blox) are in the minority...

MisterHero

Cerrius said:
I mean, my god, everytime I look at those Wii sales it just ... astounds me.

Then when I think back to the GAF thread where the Wii was unveiled and remember the reactions.. just wow.

NO ONE SAW THIS COMING.
I did.

I was one of the 2 people who supported the new Wii name.

Teddman

CcrooK said:
It still baffles me that with how dominating the Wii is, why it hasn't had full fledged 3rd party support yet. I mean, are developers really wanting to be part of the high def era?
Because beancounters look at the Wii software sales and don't see the level of 3rd party success that 360 has. The problem is that they are too shortsighted to understand that you have to put games out for the platform first to see sales. :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
Cerrius said:
I'm really fucking scared of Nintendo.

The day hardcore gaming systems like the 360 and PS3 die is the day I quit gaming.
People say this so often now the words have lost all meaning.

soldat7

CcrooK said:

Why should 3rd party publishers care so much about the Wii when they receive terrible support from Nintendo during development only to have their game not sell upon release.

Draft

BTW, HD gaming fans:

Don't despair! Sure, your favorite hobby is dead, killed by something leaner, simpler, more accessible. But not all is lost. You can have a lot of fun with dead stuff.

/PC gaming since it died back in 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07

boiled goose

good with gravy
Wow gaf... some of the wii/nintendo hate and end of gaming theories are just ridiculous...

Hardcore games are still selling well... even on the wii.... all of those casual gamers might become hardcore gamers someday... you just cant make a nongamer into a hardcore gamer right away... barrier to entry is too high.. complexity and cost wise.

if hardcore games and (arguably) hardcore consoles are not selling then consumers are uninterested or dont see the value... the wii cant change the market... it is just taking advantage of it by being cheap and appealing...

I have both 360 and a wii.... been playing okami, smash, lost winds, rock band, and GTA4 in the last month.... I really dont get where this wii inferiority comes from...

get over yourselves...

MisterHero

soldat7 said:
Why should 3rd party publishers care so much about the Wii when they receive terrible support from Nintendo during development only to have their game not sell upon release.
Nintendo actually makes a huge amount of their own software. Of course they're going to show everyone else how it's done.

X26

Banned
Sad how sales > games to the typical n-fan in this thread. If you're not on nintendo's payroll I don't see why this would get you so exciting considerding the wii library is how it is

BrokenSymmetry said:
Of course the publishers would like to make money on the Wii, but do the developers who have to create the games actually want to work for the Wii? I think that developers like Louis Castle (co-founder of Westwood Studios of C&C fame, and last working on Boom Blox) are in the minority...

Couple this with the fact that publishers are not encouraging any titles that require significant development and you have a poor picture indeed.

BrokenSymmetry said:

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of developers that want to work with the Wii. The problem is getting a publisher to give the greenlight for a Wii game.

Could be the reason why there's been interest in WiiWare titles from developers as many publishers still don't want to 'compete' with the Wii.

Publishers always have the say on what consoles a game goes on. Developers almost never.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
X26 said:
Sad how sales > games to the typical n-fan in this thread. If you're not on nintendo's payroll I don't see why this would get you so exciting considerding the wii library is how it is

LowParry

soldat7 said:

I guess. Just put out some shovelware for the Wii to make some money in developing games for the PS3/360/PC. Maybe it's time to see PC step up?

theguy

NeoUltima said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say MGS4 will sell about a million for the June NPD. I mean, GTAIV did that in 5 days, plus many people with ps3s and 360s probably bought GTAIV on 360. The fact that MGS4 is going to be bundled will help a lot as well. Not to mention the insane marketing it will have. Maybe I'm a bit(ok more than a bit) biased here, but I also feel MGS4 has more hype, at least ps3-wise, than GTAIV did.

Agreed. I think MGS4 will do the same amount of service to Sony that MGS2 did for the PS2. Unless the game truly stinks, which is highly unlikely, MGS4 will drive PS3 hardware acquisition unlike anything we've seen on the platform to date.

Sean

Banned
kylej said:
Hell, there were almost no ads anywhere for GTA even in the days before release.

You can't be serious?

GameStop, Sony, Microsoft, and Rockstar all had separate commercials for it. There was billboards on buses and posters all over town. That's not even mentioning the print ads, online advertising, etc. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing GTAIV.

It had a HUGE advertising campaign.

X26 said:

Um, you aren't going to convince many N-fans that the Wii's library is "how it is" right after SSBB and Mario Kart.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Draft said:
BTW, HD gaming fans:

Don't despair! Sure, your favorite hobby is dead, killed by something leaner, simpler, more accessible. But not all is lost. You can have a lot of fun with dead stuff.

/PC gaming since it died back in 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07

Classic. :lol

MisterHero

Count Dookkake said:
Yeah, plenty of people who pay attention saw this coming a long time ago.
People laughed when Iwata said that Gaming was Broken

He saw the future but did not tell us the whole truth.

IT WAS HE who killed gaming.

X26 said:

Because a system that sells well is good for the industry.

A system that sells well to new people is even better for the industry.

If Sony and MS stick around for the next generation, I am sure they will have pretty cool systems after learning a few lessons from this generation.

pgtl_10

It's funny how people say hardcore gaming is dying. Nintendo's traditional games sell the most and GTA is as casual a series you can get.:lol

Eteric Rice

Link said:
I don't know what everyone is all up in arms about. It's not like this is going to change publishers' attitudes about anything. They'll still focus their big projects on the PS3 and 360 and continue to throw the occasional crap the Wii's way.

They can't do that forever. Something has gotta give eventually.

X26 said:
Most of them don't fucking care? They just keep buying the software (look at that recent "excesive wii game purchases" thread).

X26

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Because a system that sells well is good for the industry.

A system that sells well to new people is even better for the industry.

If Sony and MS stick around for the next generation, I am sure they will have pretty cool systems after learning a few lessons from this generation.

Sony does well = a bunch of companies do well

Microsoft does well = a bunch of companies do well

Nintendo does well = Nintendo does well

NeoUltima said:

Isnt there something like 4 million PS3's in the US? You expect 25% of the userbase to pick up MGS4? Also ddnt MGS3 sell a little over a million (USA) in its lifetime, with alot of that at greatest hits pricing? MGS4 will sell a million this year if its lucky.

Top Bottom