• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

STG!

Amazing numbers, Wii is just stunning. Simply stunning.

Link said:
These arguments are so stupid. Maybe those third parties should start considering making Wii games that are above the level of "shit."

Ding. Ding. Ding.

Bastion said:
How am I trolling? It is a fact that companies copy other companies when they are successful.
Why would Sony or Microsoft invest money into new tech after looking what the Wii did?

:lol :lol :lol

You do realise the Wii is new tech too? Ever heard of the remote? It's only like, one of the greatest risks a console manufacturer has taken in the last decade.

There's more to innovating and expanding gaming than just beefing up the horsepower.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
JDSN said:
5lte8y.gif

So according to some people, this is what the Wii is doing to gaming:
stop bringing logic and solid examples into the flamboyant and exaggerated cry for panic. It has no place.

soldat7

Flakster99 said:
Answer the question.

Okami Wii. Great third-party game. Sold less than 140,000 copies thus far (maybe much much lower than that).

Go buy it and stop complaining about lack of third-party support. That's it people.

Bastion

Vyer said:
Impressive how you've managed to combine whining and trolling. Not an easy feat.

Don't act like you represent some sort of hardcore/'real' gamer. 'Real' gamers just play games. They enjoy all types. And guess what? We 'real' gamers have a hell of a lot of choices right now. This week I've been playing the hell out of GTA on my 360, Mario Kart on my Wii, Jeanne D'arc on my PSP and The World Ends With You on my DS.

Gosh, gaming is just getting so horrible! :lol

This 'sky is falling' bullshit has been laughable since the beginning. And by beginning I mean when people stopped hoping that their 'It's just a fad!' prayers were coming true.

Hey, I am just representing myself, no one else. Never said I was.

Wow, I have and have played every game you also mentioned in your paragraph. I also own pretty much every major system made since the late 70's so I do feel like I have the right to share my opinion in a country that protects free speech. The Wii is the first and only system I have problems with for what it represents to me: the end of gaming as I know it.

I am being selfish, I know that and I guess I don't care that I am.

Narag

Bastion said:
Hey, I am just representing myself, no one else. Never said I was.

Wow, I have and have played every game you also mentioned in your paragraph. I also own pretty much every major system made since the late 70's so I do feel like I have the right to share my opinion in a country that protects free speech. The Wii is the first and only system I have problems with for what it represents to me: the end of gaming as I know it.

I am being selfish, I know that and I guess I don't care that I am.
:lol

DataBot

norinrad21 said:
Nintendo is doing what they know best and thats releasing good games. The shitty part of the wii library is accredited to 3rd parties for not taking the wii seriously and eventually they will pay for that while Nintendo continues to rake in with release after release. :lol

Listen to this guy its better for you.
You! yes you!

:lol

_Alkaline_ said:
Oh i see, so you're just a troll. I get it now.

I really don't think he is trolling. He is just saying, why would say, Microsoft want to invest millions or billions into a techically advanced next generation console when they might think it is more beneficial to them financially in creating a console with similar capabilities to their current generation with motion sensor controls? Coincidentally enough, there is a rumor that Microsoft has a motion controller in the works. I am pretty sure he is saying, not everyone wants to embrace motion controlled games and prefer traditional games and controls instead, that's all. I know HD games and traditional games are still there and will be around for a little while longer, but he is probably a tad concerned about the next generation, especially with the cost of development increasing on a weekly basis.

soldat7 said:
Okami Wii. Great third-party game. Sold less than 140,000 copies thus far (maybe much much lower than that).

Go buy it and stop complaining about lack of third-party support. That's it people.

Okami =/ great third party support.

MisterHero said:
GTA's diminishing role as a headliner of the industry might be good.

Now the public might not think that gamers are blood-thirsty morans.

And in the end, isn't that what really matters?

I've said a variation of this in several threads over the lifetime of the Wii.

Wii's success is the thing that will stop Jack Thompson and his ilk from ever getting airtime in the future. Once the mothers of America understand that there are genres in games, it will be very hard for "gaming is murder simulation" memes to survive.

The hardly-cores should be thanking Nintendo for giving them breathing room.

Tristam

MisterHero said:
Not that Nintendo's 'Money matters' matter to me, but it does matter that they have money to spend working on software, hardware, marketing, and everything else.

Microsoft is well aware of all the money they are down, and if you can't acknowledge how bad their situation is then you are a fool.

Yeah, but it isn't out of the box for $250.

The Arcade SKU retails for $30 more -- of course, you're acting like hard drive space is terribly expensive nowadays and accounts for the added costs when the 360 has a much more powerful CPU and the GPU is really beyond comparison to Hollywood.

As for their money, this is EXACTLY the type of stuff Nintendo should spend their money on. How the fuck are sensible storage solutions and a competent online service wasted money?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Bastion said:
The Wii is the first and only system I have problems with for what it represents to me: the end of gaming as I know it.
either one of three things has to be true:

you are lying about having played all the great Wii games you claim are insignificant.

your taste is atrocious.

you are massively overstating your belief in an attempt to fight an uphill argument.

I'm not saying the Wii doesn't have a bunch of cheap cash in ports and shovelware out for it... but to argue that the Wii is killing games when arguably some of the best core games this gen are available exclusively on it just seems kind of.. umm.. retarded?

Evlar

Banned
Bastion said:
How am I trolling? It is a fact that companies copy other companies when they are successful.
Why would Sony or Microsoft invest money into new tech after looking what the Wii did?
For the same reason Nintendo did in preparation for this gen, I presume.

jacobs34

soldat7 said:

If you want that to happen you are going to have to get off of neogaf and into the living rooms of millions of soccermoms... actually that sounds like a lot of fun, can I go with you?

Opiate

ShockingAlberto said:
Would Mario 1 have been better on the Genesis than the NES? Sure.

It didn't happen that way. The games fall where they are and they're no less fun for being on the systems they are.

You know, in a lot of ways, I'm pissed RE5 is on the PS3/360. It'll look so amazing, but it will be such a step backward from RE4 Wii. However, if it were on the Wii, it would control amazingly, but not look anywhere near what it could.

Games are not where they will always fulfill their maximum potential. Big fucking deal. They never have and never will. FFXII would have done some amazing shit on the XBox. It wasn't on there, but it was a great looking PS2 game.

In fact, using his logic, one could always argue that all games should be made for 100,000 dollar PCs, whatever that happens to buy you at the time. Not only would that provide greater graphical fidelity, but would allow you a greater variety of control options (as the PC can easily be compatible with Keyboards, Mice, Wii Motes, and Traditional Controllers). You can even hook modern PCs up to your 70" plasma TV and 10000 7.1 surround sound system.

Every single game should be built for a system 10x as powerful as a "Crysis on very high" machine, or it isn't fulfilling its true potential.

jgwhiteus

The month of May will be interesting. I agree that any "hardware bump" for GTAIV won't necessarily be limited to the first week of release, but you'd think that the major part of the bump would be over. GTAIV's power to sell systems was never a sure thing in any case, since the series enjoyed its greatest success when the PS2 userbase was already established for it...some games truly are "system sellers", but it's hard to figure out which.

I do think that exclusives have a better chance of selling systems than multiplat games...which is why it's bad for Microsoft and Sony (but better for publishers) that so many games are going multiplat PS3/360 these days. Wii actually does get a lot of "exclusives", but many are not the types of games GAF generally cares about.

For May, I do expect Wii Fit to be a system seller and to draw in new buyers...again, I have to give it to Nintendo's marketing department for their efforts to get Wii Fit into the mainstream media. The #1 most emailed story on the New York Times website is their "review" of Wii Fit (they basically had 4 different non-gamers try it out and give their thoughts on it; pretty much all impressions were positive). I guess this should go in a Wii Fit Official Thread, if there is one...but I think it's a reflection on the sales impact it could have among mainstream consumers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/fashion/15fitness.html

Bastion

Link said:
My girlfriend enjoys playing the Wii with me. My parents enjoy playing the Wii with me. These are people that would have never bothered playing videogames just two years ago. I get to share the hobby I've loved for the past two decades with the people that matter in my life. So yes, I do love where the Wii is headed with gaming, because I get all that and also know that traditional games are still a viable alternative that I also enjoy. (I own a PS3 as well, and am a huge MGS fan.)

And you just made my point extremely valid. I too play the Wii with my kids. I have fun as do they but it is fun like board game fun. It is not fun like playing a more traditional videogame.

One last question, so if the more traditional consoles suddenly were gone and all you had was the Wii or similar type systems, how would you feel?

Quazar

Did anyone post this yet?

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18679

"Following today's release of NPD sales data for April, which showed Grand Theft Auto IV and Mario Kart Wii top the software charts as expected while Wii and Nintendo DS held on firmly to the top hardware slots, Gamasutra caught up with Microsoft product management director Aaron Greenberg to get his take.

Greenberg gave his thoughts on Xbox 360 and PS3's neck-and-neck sales rate, Wii's near-match of 360's total U.S. sales, how 2008 will be the industry's best year ever, and why he believes Sony is mistaken when it comes to European sales figures and whether GTA4's planned downloadable content will remain 360-exclusive."

MisterHero

Tristam said:
The Arcade SKU retails for $30 more -- of course, you're acting like hard drive space is terribly expensive nowadays and accounts for the added costs when the 360 has a much more powerful CPU and the GPU is really beyond comparison to Hollywood.

As for their money, this is EXACTLY the type of stuff Nintendo should spend their money on. How the fuck are sensible storage solutions and a competent online service wasted money?
You're still missing the point.

It's not what the 'hardcore-fan' thinks, the company KNOWS what they are doing is not good for them and how will they capitalize on their "success" if they have no money to do it with?

Link

The Autumn Wind
soldat7 said:
I'm 15 hours in (Okami). One of the best games I've played in the past 5 years.
Oh, so you're one of the people that didn't buy it the first time around. Interesting.

EktorPR

borghe said:
I'm not saying the Wii doesn't have a bunch of cheap cash in ports and shovelware out for it... but to argue that the Wii is killing games when arguably some of the best core games this gen are available exclusively on it just seems kind of.. umm.. retarded?

It's just retarded, borghe. Period.

Jammy

Banned
:lol Supporting Okami would do jack shit. There needs to be a number of games that outperformed expectations for there to be increased support.

And in the case of Okami, the studio has closed and the developers have split.

Bastion

fernoca said:
Oh come on Bastion..
You seem to hate the idea of companies actually spending money and making Wii games, wheneven afternearly 2 years..the situation is basically the same..

Like EA releasing collector's editions of Madden on PS3 and 360, but not Wii...the same publisher that is releasing Rock Band Wii next month, but as a port of the PS2 version..
The same Tecmo you're taking that is releasing Ninja Gaiden II, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Dead or Alive 4 on the 360 and PS3..
Konami with Metal Gear Solid 4, Rockstar's GTAIV, Capcom's Resident Evil 5 (even after all the Resident Evil tests on Wii)..

Sorry..but where' are those high-budget third party Wii games you seem so angry that the Wii is getting..? Fatal Frame moved consoles on the PS2 and Xbox? How many millions the previous games sold?...Monter Hunter 3? In Japan on the PSP is selling amazing...will that translate into sales on the Wii sequel? Who knows..the console version of Monster Hunter were not "as hot" as the PSP version, though still managed to sell great...

The rare times that they do release "new" games on the Wii the barely advertise them, rush them and release them as if they were just releasing another game..while they go around and continue making their PS3 and 360 games..

So I don't know why you're so pissy about the current trend of Wii outselling the compeitition, when it's been like that for nearly 2 years..and aside sales numbers, barely nothing has changed..

Again, I am not so concerned about the effect this gen, I am more concerned about next gen. The Wii could have a huge ripple effect.

Narag

soldat7 said:
Because that's when I got back into gaming after a long hiatus. Is it more? ;)

I think so but I'm not going to evangelize it under false pretenses. I was just curious if there was some other reason is all.

vilmer_

Bastion said:
Again, I am not so concerned about the effect this gen, I am more concerned about next gen. The Wii could have a huge ripple effect.

For all we know the next-gen of consoles will be 32 bit cartridge based. It could be a maniacal circle.

MisterHero said:
GTA's diminishing role as a headliner of the industry might be good.

Now the public might not think that gamers are blood-thirsty morans.

And in the end, isn't that what really matters?

While expectations for GTA IV weren't met, and HW sales saw NO boost from the title, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

GTA: SA sold 2.05M units it's first month. GTA IV sold 2.85M in it's first month - IN APRIL
Halo 2 sold ~3.3M in it's first month. Halo 3 sold 3.3M in it's first month.

I suppose it's possible people were claiming that GTA was "diminishing" back then, but I doubt it.

Bastion

ShockingAlberto said:
Maybe they shouldn't have priced themselves out of the market in the first place?

I agree with you that Sony screwed up big time by underestimating the importance of coming out first and overcharging.

Narag

sonycowboy said:
While expectations for GTA IV weren't met, and HW sales saw NO boost from the title, this is getting a bit ridiculous.

GTA: SA sold 2.05M units it's first month. GTA IV sold 2.85M in it's first month - IN APRIL
Halo 2 sold ~3.3M in it's first month. Halo 3 sold 3.3M in it's first month.

I suppose it's possible people were claiming that GTA was "diminishing" back then, but I doubt it.

Do the GTAs have traditionally long legs?

Tristam

MisterHero said:
You're still missing the point.

It's not what the 'hardcore-fan' thinks, the company KNOWS what they are doing is not good for them and how will they capitalize on their "success" if they have no money to do it with?

Can you say, with absolute certainty, that implementing a competent online service -- in which they could and probably would charge exorbitant prices for a proprietary headset -- and selling their OWN HDD solution would somehow put Nintendo in the red?

Something just occurred to me, but if GTAIV 'only' sold 1 million on PS3 in April, the likes of Haze and yes, even MGS4, are going to disappoint a lot of people when the first month numbers come in.

MS was foolish to not drop the price in front of the game's release. Their little tit for tat games with Sony are causing them to lose sight of the big picture. There will be considerable fallout if the Wii passes the 360's install base in the US next month and they don't respond at all.

The premium should be on the better side of $250 this Christmas. Scratch that, it should be $199 or less 3 years after f'n launch, but I think $249 would do a lot to stem the bleeding.

It's obvious that the Arcade was a failed experiment.

Bastion

_Alkaline_ said:
:lol :lol :lol

You do realize the Wii is new tech too? Ever heard of the remote? It's only like, one of the greatest risks a console manufacturer has taken in the last decade.

You can't be serious. Nintendo had nothing to lose from going out on a limb. They even said they were betting the farm on the Wii and DS. If people didn't like it, they might have been out of the console business.

soldat7 said:
All I'm saying is that people complaining about the lack of good third-party games on the Wii have no grounds to complain when they are not buying the third-party titles that are available.

Let's hope Mad World breaks this trend (oh wait, those devs worked on the original Okami...maybe there is no hope after all
j/k
).

I bought Okami. Twice.

Now can I bitch about the lack of 3rd-party games on the Wii? Jeez.

For the record, though, there are a fair amount of decent 3rd-party games on the Wii. Way too many people around here think games are only good if they're "main" games in big, established franchises. Admittedly, you'd think the Wii would get more of those, or more of an effort to create new blockbuster franchises. But, hey, publishers are scared, slow to react, and a lot of them just believe the same bullshit that people are spewing around this thread.

So they keep making PS3/360 games. So be it. There's plenty of money to be had there, too.

Top Bottom