• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official April 2008 NPD thread of massive disappointment if you're not Nintendo

dark10x said:
I think it's important to note that the Wii is indeed built around "new" technology. The graphics hardware may be dated, but its motion sensing capabilities certainly were not. It was this new technology that attracted people in the first place.

I'm not trying to troll the Wii's hardware or anything, I couldn't care less about chipsets. However, the appeal of the Wii has *nothing* to do with new technology. The appeal comes from providing a new experience. Just look at Link's Crossbow Training or Guitar Hero. Both games use technology that has been present in arcades and even home consoles for years. Nintendo didn't need new tech to slap the Zelda IP on a Duck Hunt clone, and the same goes for GH. But the experience is very new or at least refreshing for most casual gamers.

This is also why Iwata keeps hinting that Nintendo won't launch a new console at the end of this cycle. As far as he's concerned, new technology is irrelevant so long as Nintendo can provide new experiences with games like Wii Fit.

neptunes

bouc_emissaire said:
alfwii2.gif
seriously this joke is beyond old

and I DON'T EVEN OWN A WII

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I hope they are seriously considering price cuts if that is all they could get for hardware sales in a GTA month. It's pathetic on its own, compared to what PS2 would sell in GTA release months, even moreso.

avaya said:
Maria Bartiromo giggling like a schoolgirl playing Wii live on CNBC US Closing Bell while interviewing Reggie.

Nintendo wins.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Yup its great. I got to play all the games i wanted and didnt need to own a wii or go looking for one or any of that silly nonsense.

Odysseus

Banned
Innotech said:
its pretty funny that the wii is called cheap despite being the most expensive console in nintendo history.

nintendo was supposed to go even more expensive because look how well it's working out for the other guys

More of an implementation with the Wii control scheme than something brand new. The days with the Light Gun, Power Glove, and Power Pad was similar.

Oh well, I sold my Wii after a month of ownership. Really didn't find much that my Gamecube didn't already offer at this point. Maybe when the next Zelda comes out, I'll get a new one.

PhatSaqs said:
Has "Patcher" responded yet?

Reacting to the April sales figures in an investor note on Friday, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter expressed surprise.

“We were surprised by relatively weak PS3 and Xbox 360 sales, especially given the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV late in the month. We had expected sales of both consoles to increase month over month, as we thought that many potential console owners were waiting for the game to launch before purchasing a console.
”

However, other analysts pointed out that GTA IV was only available for five days during the April sales reporting period, and suggested that the Rockstar title could well drive PS3 and Xbox 360 adoption throughout May.

“While a pick-up in PS3 and Xbox 360 hardware sales benefiting from GTA IV is not evident in the [April NPD] data, we believe May could show some sequential improvement,” offered Lazard Capital Markets analyst Colin Sebastian.

NPD analyst Anita Frazier concurred, "... Since [GTA IV] was only in the market for five days during this reporting period, that [hardware] sales lift could very well be evident in May data."

He's the best.

avaya said:
Maria Bartiromo giggling like a schoolgirl playing Wii live on CNBC US Closing Bell while interviewing Reggie.

Nintendo wins.

FLAWLESS VICTORY.

Video?

Innotech said:
its pretty funny that the wii is called cheap despite being the most expensive console in nintendo history.

Both the Super Famicom and Wii launched in Japan at 25,000 yen each. The Wii is tied with the Super Famicom as the most expensive Nintendo system at launch.

jman2050

FinalEvangelion said:
More of an implementation with the Wii control scheme than something brand new. The days with the Light Gun, Power Glove, and Power Pad was similar.

Oh well, I sold my Wii after a month of ownership. Really didn't find much that my Gamecube didn't already offer at this point. Maybe when the next Zelda comes out, I'll get a new one.

Not even related to the Wii itself at all, but can someone try to explain the logic behind selling consoles a month into ownership only to eventually buy them again later down the road? It makes zero sense from any angle, economic or otherwise.

jman2050 said:
Not even related to the Wii itself at all, but can someone try to explain the logic behind selling consoles a month into ownership only to eventually buy them again later down the road? It makes zero sense from any angle, economic or otherwise.

Economically, the Wii is an exception. Profits can be gained.

dark10x said:
It will have to come from other companies then. It's likely that Nintendo's next platform will indeed be on the same level of XBOX360 and the like, but by the time that occurs, it will be many years too late. They will have essentially set everyone back by 5 years or so.

:lol I think you should rethink your position here. How will next gen really play out? What insentive does Sony or Microsoft have to increase the technology of their new machines when the PS360 are being dominated by vastly inferior technology. I'm not saying that MS and Sony won't launch more powerful machines - frankly, I don't know what they'll do - but I don't see how Wii will be adversly affected by an Xbox 720 with even higher resolution. This is the essence of disruption. MS/Sony's business model has failed to secure first place market share. Repeating it is likely to be ineffective, and thus their path is unclear.

But no matter which direction they choose, it's clear that this industry is no longer about the technological race (if it ever was). Thus, Nintendo can't be "too late" when it comes to HD. They'll integrate HD into their console when it becomes cost effective, but their priority is to come up with the next Nintendogs/Wii Sports/Wii Fit.

Edit: thanks DXB.

Neomoto

Agent Icebeezy said:
To Halo 3's credit, the 360 did exceed the Wii the month of September. I agree with the tone of your post though.
Yeah but come on, the amount that X360 outsold Wii was very, very little. Don't remember how much exactly but I remember something like in the lower xx.000. And Wii was still supply constrained (surprise!) and of course, Wii production levels where significantly lower than they are now. In my opinion, x360 "victory" that month is meaningless since the difference was so little and considering the situation (also there was no "counter software" released in that period for Wii, it was all on hype/momentum). :)

But of course, looking at just the x360 boost, it was a pretty big boost. Especially compared to x360's hardware "boost" now from GTA.

Which reminds me, Microsoft claimed that they experienced massive shortages in january and februari and most of march (? not sure about march). But that they were fully ready for GTA IV launch. So looking at the numbers, there were no shortages, the self proclaimed "biggest game of the generation" launched AND the hardware sales are in fact significantly LESS than in either januari, februari or march ?! (230,000; 254,600; 262,000) It boggles the mind.

Just got the top ten by platform (no numbers, just rank). Nothing too surprising, but Sony fans can at least take heart that Chains of Olympus narrowly nudged out Imagine: Babyz.

1 POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF DARKNESS
2 POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF TIME
3 CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII
4 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS
5 MARIO KART
6 MARIO PARTY
7 MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES
8 GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS
9 IMAGINE: BABYZ
10 POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION

pvpness

Some of you guys scare me sometimes. What's the problem with a videogame company being the market leader of the videogame industry? Oh no! A company focused on games is beating out two companies that have never been focused on games! What a fucking drag. Hopefully Motorola, Bose, or GE will come in and save the videogame industry.

Related; I am shocked that ps3/360 sales are down during GTAIV month. Didn't see that one coming.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Jammy said:
Where are you pulling this shit from? :lol Please, I'd like to know.

There is a ton of shovelware titles on Wii. I don't think these titles sell huge numbers, but there are so many of them they have the affect that third party ratio percentage. Right?

Green Shinobi said:
At this point, the 360 has the best racing game (Forza 2), the best RPG (Lost Odyssey), the best fighting game (VF5 with online), the best third person shooter (Gears), shares the best sandbox action game (GTA4) with the PS3, and yes, it has the best shooter (Halo 3, or COD4, also on PS3).

The Wii definitely has the best platformer (Galaxy) and the best party games, but the 360 has better games in more genres than the Wii does at the moment.

All opinions. Some would say the Wii has the best racing game (Mario Kart), the best fighting game (SSBB), and the best third person shooter (RE 4, which I consider to be part of this genre).

It's all based on perspective.

RBH

Kobun Heat said:
Just got the top ten by platform (no numbers, just rank). Nothing too surprising, but Sony fans can at least take heart that Chains of Olympus narrowly nudged out Imagine: Babyz.
Could you post those Top Ten numbers for each platform, please? :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LCGeek said:
Only in america, what you talking about again like sprocket using a typical NA only argument. WW with 3rd party software Wii is catching up and with shittier lineup to boot.

Edit

Also my comment was aimed at the PS family not 360 so I have no clue why you switched it up. BTW only certain types of 3rd parties titles do well on 360 as the whole not at all as quirk or more non western games sell like crap. If it weren't for the large titles selling the amount they did the system would be garbage.

Oh yeah?

Ganondorfo

Colonel campbell: snake I have a new mission for you, you need to boost the sale for the PS3 up with your new adventure. The ps3 needs to come close with the wii

Old snake: the wii?

Colonel campbell: The Wii (pronounced as the English pronoun we, IPA: /wiː/) is the fifth home video game console released by Nintendo. The console is the direct successor to the Nintendo GameCube. Nintendo states that its console targets a broader demographic than that of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.[5] It competes with both as part of the seventh generation of video game systems

Old snake: ok, got it

soldat7

kame-sennin said:
This is the essence of disruption. MS/Sony's business model has failed to secure first place market share. Repeating it is likely to be ineffective, and thus their path is unclear.

Blue Ocean Strategy:

Nine Key Points of Blue Ocean Strategy (BOS)

* BOS is the result of a decade-long study of 150 strategic moves spanning more than 30 industries over 100 years (1880-2000).
* BOS is the simultaneous pursuit of differentiation and low cost.
* The aim of BOS is not to out-perform the competition in the existing industry, but to create new market space or a blue ocean, thereby making the competition irrelevant.
* BOS offers a set of methodologies and tools to create new market space.
* The three key conceptual building blocks of BOS are: value innovation, tipping point leadership, and fair process.

It's pointless for Sony and Microsoft to go head-to-head against Nintendo. They need to continue battling each other in their own part of the ocean or come up with a blue ocean strategy of their own.

Ganondorfo said:
Colonel campbell: snake I have a new mission for you, you need to boost the sale for the PS3 up with your new adventure. The ps3 needs to come close with the wii

Colonel campbell: The Wii (pronounced as the English pronoun we, IPA: /wiː/) is the fifth home video game console released by Nintendo. The console is the direct successor to the Nintendo GameCube. Nintendo states that its console targets a broader demographic than that of Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3.[5] It competes with both as part of the seventh generation of video game systems

Oh god not this again.

kswiston

Kobun Heat said:

I wonder what the gap in sales is between the two Pokemon MD games and everything else on that list. I'd like to think that Crisis Core held up fairly well, coming in 3rd place on the handheld chart, but it could have sold 50k as easily as it could have sold 125k without a number. All we know is that it was lower than COD4's sales.

yoopoo

Banned
soldat7 said:
It's pointless for Sony and Microsoft to go head-to-head against Nintendo. They need to continue battling each other in their own part of the ocean or come up with a blue ocean strategy of their own.
Sony WILL copy whatever Nintendo does next, they will go head on with Nintendo's next concept.

Nintendo: Two shoulder buttons - Sony: Four shoulder buttons
Nintendo: One analog stick - Sony: Two analog sticks
Nintendo: One rumble motor - Sony: Two rumble motors
Nintendo: Motion sensing controller - Sony: Kirby's tilt and tumble controller

You can imagine sony's next controller...they'll wait for Nitendo's next controller.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
norinrad21 said:
In that case, then i guess you would agree its fine for Nintendo to hold grudges? because that's what they do best and you can bet they will keeping an eye on all the 3rd parties who tried to fuck them over :lol

God you are an idiot. Businesses arent fucking children like you...most of the time

Grecco

Ganondorfo said:

Snake NPD Fanfiction. Wow.

soldat7 said:
Blue Ocean Strategy:

Excellent point. However, there are a few points I would like to add:

1) Sony and Microsoft are currently in a red ocean (i.e saturated market, heavy competition).

2) The Blue Ocean Strategy is only one half of Nintendo's game plan (and has little to do with disruption). In order to understand how Nintendo will proceed, you need to read "The Innovator's Dilema". It explains that...

3) Nintendo will not be satisfied with the new blue ocean of casual gamers and will return to the core market.

4) Sony and MS have shown that they are unwilling or unable to find their own blue ocean or attempt to disrupt Nintendo (so far). All they have done is attempt to challenge Nintendo for the casual market (singstar, buzz, ect.) or retreat to the core market.

Reacting to the April sales figures in an investor note on Friday, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter expressed surprise.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter expressed surprise.

Michael Pachter expressed surprise.

Pachter expressed surprise.

Pachter surprise.

surprise.

yoopoo said:
You can imagine sony's next controller...they'll wait for Nitendo's next controller.

Which is akin to asking Nintendo to screw you over. Imagine if Sony and MS had launched their systems a few months after Wii with exact copies of the Wii remote. Would it make them slightly more competitive? Maybe. But what would they be doing right now, now that Wii Fit has been released. Nintendo altered the playing field again; Wii Fit is threatening to eclipse the PS3 user base in Japan, and third parties are already releasing games for it.

If Sony and MS follow Nintendo next gen, they will be walking into a trap.

Xisiqomelir

HK-47 said:
God you are an idiot. Businesses arent fucking children like you...most of the time

Just about the only thing preventing me from calling norinrad 100% correct in advance is the fact that these days Yamauchi seems to be more into swimming in a sea of his infinite monies instead of tearing out pages from the Nintendo Book of Grudges and faxing them to Iwata.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
mentalfloss said:

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter expressed surprise.

Michael Pachter expressed surprise.

Pachter expressed surprise.

Pachter surprise.

surprise.

I would too if three years of preaching the same gospels went up in smoke

DXB-KNIGHT said:

OMG @ the April NPD data actually being part of the story. That has to be embarrassing for MS and Sony execs since that info is usually only seen by industry diehards.

And I don't get all the posts in this thread claiming that Wii is killing gaming and has a shitty library. Do Nintendo first party titles really not count now? Because fuck if I played a game I enjoyed more that SMG last year and they've be kicking ass so far in 2008 too.

Nintendo delivering arguably the best entries of their traditional franchises all in one gen can hardly be considered "shitty" and my Wii's certainly getting a lot more lovin' right now than my HD consoles (GTA not withstanding).

M3d10n

Ganondorfo said:

Perfect. I can almost hear the voice acting.

Kobun Heat said:

1 POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF DARKNESS
2 POKEMON MYSTERY DUNGEON: EXPLORERS OF TIME
3 CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII
4 NEW SUPER MARIO BROS
5 MARIO KART
6 MARIO PARTY
7 MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES
8 GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS
9 IMAGINE: BABYZ
10 POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION
Do you have the Top10 for more systems, Wii, 360, PS3, would be very nice to see. :)

undrtakr900

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
Price cut on HD consoles need?
Price cuts are the only true system sellers. MS and/or Sony should time a price drop with the next big game to come out if possible. Like a Gears 2 + pricedrop = instant sales boost for MS.

[Nintex]

undrtakr900 said:
Price cuts are the only true system sellers. MS and/or Sony should time a price drop with the next big game to come out if possible. Like a Gears 2 + pricedrop = instant sales boost for MS.
They should cut the price when it makes sense. They did a surprise cut in Europe this spring and it didn't help much. Overall I'd say MS's marketing has been a mess so far. Games like Halo 3 are well advertised, while other games aren't even mentioned. It also seems that Nintendo is constantly marketing their system. MS is only marketing their games which are sometimes multiplatform releases and I've got no idea what the hell Sony was trying to achieve with the "This is living campaign!". They should've went with the "welcome" "play beyond" campaign that they had at one of the E3's.

Andrex said:
Hole. E. Fuck.
If this holds up all year...

The Wii (given a PS2 style XMas) could sell over 8 million units by December. In one single market. Hell, they could even surpass the 10 million unit mark for the year in America.

Eteric Rice

My question is what happens when they have this new audience? When it comes to the DS, they have it completely, so they've directed their focus to the Wii. What happens when they have it on the Wii, will they let third parties take over like they did on the DS?

WILL third parties take over if Nintendo lets them? (I mean for the more hardcore games, like they did with the DS) Because right now they're doing a pretty shitty job (third parties).

Saint Gregory said:
Nintendo delivering arguably the best entries of their traditional franchises all in one gen can hardly be considered "shitty" and my Wii's certainly getting a lot more lovin' right now than my HD consoles (GTA not withstanding).

Mine has been locked away in a dark room since last september, i kinda wish i knew where that room was too.

Eteric Rice said:
My question is what happens when they have this new audience? When it comes to the DS, they have it completely, so they've directed their focus to the Wii. What happens when they have it on the Wii, will they let third parties take over like they did on the DS?

Nintendo is clearly pushing out as much content as they can to satisfy consumers in the hopes that by the time they run out of core franchises, third parties will have jumped on. Essentially, it's the DS strategy all over again. If third parties never jump on, Nintendo will still be able to reinvigorate the system with games like Wii Fit, but ultimately, sales will die down.

But I don't think third parties will ignore the Wii forever - not all of them at least. A good percentage of them will jump on after the Monster Hunter 3 and GH4 sales come in. The rest will stick with HD as many of them don't have a choice (Epic), and others are simply not interested in a Nintendo dominated industry. For the latter, they may feel some sting. But like EA during the NES era, they'll get through the gen and enjoy the extra spotlight given to them on competing machines.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Eteric Rice said:

WILL third parties take over if Nintendo lets them? (I mean for the more hardcore games, like they did with the DS) Because right now they're doing a pretty shitty job (third parties).

I think they're doing fine, but there's always room for improvements.
I think game-wise, Wii has already passed GameCube and is on par or better than N64, IMO. Next stop: SNES.

WarLox

too all the kids screaming "wait til wii fit o_O " .... I dont know what this means.. but most stores in my district only got in ~40 wii fits in... compared to the ~450 GTAs we got in for PS360...

just saying...

Jokeropia

sprocket said:
no it hasn't :/ Some people try group ALL the third party games to one lump sum but that isnt how it works. Third party games sell better on the 360 and ps3 "."
YOU'RE WRONG!

USA: 360 third party sales > Wii third party sales > PS3 third party sales
EUROPE: Wii third party sales > 360 third party sales ≥ PS3 third party sales
JAPAN: Wii third party sales > PS3 third party sales > 360 third party sales
sprocket said:
Its not picking arguments. Third party games do not sell ont he Wii like they do on the ps3 and 360 at this time. Its a fact. Third party games have higher sales on those two consoles.
You know, your insistence only makes you look dumber.
X26 said:
I'm angry? Anyways, point I'm trying to make is the industry as a whole does not benefit from nintendo's insane success
Actually, third parties who has given Wii good support benefit greatly. Just like they did on NES, SNES and are doing on DS.
Jag22 said:
YES. The fact that you think that link proves otherwise is humorous in a sad kinda way.
dammitmattt said:
A lot of Wii fans for some reason don't want to acknowledge (or they downplay) the fact that most of the "good" console games are on the next-gen consoles
Your OPINION is not universal. How can you not understand this?

artredis1980 said:
The best games are on 360 and PS3 nomatter how good of a console Wii is. Wii's best games are only from Nintendo and those are just trickling in. 3rd party games on PS3 and 360 are much better than Wii. Developers have a controller and they dont know how to innovate on it.
The best gameplay and best graphics overall are on 360 and PS3. People who are intrigued by the controller ONLY and nothing else are buying Wii in hordes moreso than any console in history. Wii sales are driven mostly by Casual gamers

...This is the end of pure gaming as we know it, we cannot deny it. This is the start when Console games become like flash based PC games for casual gamers. I hope someone realises it
Bastion said:
For people that absolutely love that Nintendo is kicking arse right now, I have a question for you.

Are you more excited that Nintendo in general is winning a console race once again or are more excited about how great the Wii and it's games are selling?

I used to like Nintendo until they "sold out" this generation. The Wii is an embarrassment to gaming. I have loved traditional hardcore games for over two decades and this casual stuff makes me sick.

The main reason it really ticks me off is because now game companies will start spending more money on Wii games which takes away from the real consoles. It ticks me off that a game like Fatal Frame 4 is not on PS3/360. It should never be a Wii game, at least not the main iteration.

I can't fault Nintendo for doing what they did. They are making tons of money which is every businesses goal. I do not have to like it and can give my opinion on it.
X26 said:
Sad how sales > games to the typical n-fan in this thread. If you're not on nintendo's payroll I don't see why this would get you so exciting considerding the wii library is how it is
Cerrius said:
I'm really fucking scared of Nintendo.

The day hardcore gaming systems like the 360 and PS3 die is the day I quit gaming.
Sirolf said:
So much tired of all of this Nintard circle jerk about the $$$ Nintendo is making...So yes they have surely won this gen but are you really happy with the Wii software library ?Even 1st party(Excellent SMG and Zelda but the rest...) ?i REALLY REALLY don't understand this mentality at all...
Like TTP, at last in my death bed,i will have a very faint memory of the last time i played innovatives games on a good technology !! :lol :lol :lol
davepoobond said:
maybe if you idiots stopped buying shitty wii games (read: all of them) we wouldnt be in this conundrum!

we are sinking sinking NeoGAF will become CasualGAF in due time
bouc_emissaire said:
*removed image to spare people from the stupidity*
I'm just collecting a bunch of pathetic troll/fanboy/whiner posts so I can laugh at them all at once. :lol

Top Bottom