• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

TheExodu5 said:
That was me. :lol

I've only tried the M249 in the demo...and it didn't even feel like I was shooting a weapon. There really was no recoil. Glitch maybe? I'll try FRAPSing when I get home.

Yeah I tried that weapon as well and didn't notice much recoil, same with the scoped M16. But the sniper rifle did seem to have recoil, at least shooting through the scope it did.

Does anyone know how to order groups in high command mode to enter vehicles? I know you can order the individual people into vehicles, but how do you order a group (you know, blue rectangle for BLUFOR)? I'm trying this second demo mission and can't figure out how to get them to use the Humvees that are sitting around.

Forsete

So I like the demo a lot. I had to switch monitors though, not a problem since I have a dual monitor setup. The 1680x1050 resolution was just too much for my system, when I switched to my other monitor (1280x1024) it ran a bit better.

The AI is indeed improved, so the Youtube videos had me a little fooled.
The game looks great, not a huge fan of the high contrast look but otherwise it looks splendid.

Waiting for my game to arrive on a DVD. :)

Wow, totally forgot Arma 2 was basically opflash2. I need to check this out!

Still remember all the good times I had in opflash1, abandoning my crap AI team as they get ambushed coming out of a truck, completing the objective anyway, and then crawling and running for 5km to dodge russian tanks. :lol Damn you 1-save policy, but it was tense!

Zenith

Banned
darn it, this open-world apporach is starting to drag. At least with old OFP missions you'd get pointed towards a big battle, or dedicated tank and chopper missions. right now it's still shuttling between villages killing the odd guerilla.

Atrophis

TheExodu5 said:
I'll get back to it and give it another chance.

Oh, and yes CS does bring your POV up. It just comes back down on it's own. It feels as close as any game to immitating recoil as I've felt it (though mind you, I've never fire an automatic).

I hate DoD's implementation of recoil. Sure, it brings your gun up, but it doesn't take into account that the gravity will force the gun back down after the shot.

I apologise, CS does indeed have recoil. Shows how long its been since i played it, but i only remember it having a shitty cone of fire!

BeeDog

Alright, retard-mode question so sorry in advance:

I'm on mission... uh 4 I think (the one where the game opens up); how the hell am I supposed to move towards the distand objectives? The support heli exploded when it tried to pick me up. :lol

Zenith

Banned
BeeDog said:
Alright, retard-mode question so sorry in advance:

I'm on mission... uh 4 I think (the one where the game opens up); how the hell am I supposed to move towards the distand objectives? The support heli exploded when it tried to pick me up. :lol

reload. :/

or grab the 4 motorbikes at the beginning.

Wow, I'm really liking the high command missions. Even not playing as the commander, taking objectives and buying units from money earned is pretty cool and addicting.

MickeyKnox said:
Run the benchmark, that first mission also ran totally fine for me.

armabench.jpg

armabenchR.jpg

What benchmark is that? And whats the best way to take screenshots?

Anyhoo I gotta say, if you were burned by the mess that was the first ArmA, really do consider giving this a chance. The campaign alone shits all over the embarrassment that was ArmA's campaign.Good old eastern block civil war type thingy, and of course the Russians are always sniffing about.

Currently on Manhattan. And I thought Razor Two was big lol, it's huge in comparison. Trying to find the weapon smuggler, oh and does anyone know if there is a TV or computer to watch the shit you are told about?

Is vsync a bit weird in the game? I appear to be locked around 24-27fps which is the PAL standard. I don't really care though, everything on high, with post processing off and it doesn't jump at all.

Orlics

EviLore said:
Hrm, warming up to it a little. Tried that first mission again and it didn't bug out this time, had a decent experience with it. Afterwards I loaded up the editor....

My half dozen highly skilled snipers and marksmen on top of the hill against a great deal of russian infantry in the village. Surprisingly easy to set up and pretty fun trying different ways to approach it.

Great. now make them patrol!

I wonder how many of the OFP addons people are still alive. Ballistic Addon Studios anyone? Hope they implement JAM weapons too.

madmook

Bah, I bit on the Steam version, downloading now. The demo didn't run too well on my gaming laptop (Gateway P6860fx with 2.5ghz C2D and Geforce 8800M GTS), but just well enough to be considered playable. Always wanted to play Operation Flashpoint back in the day, but didn't have good enough hardware, and just skipped on by.

1.7 MB/s, gotta love Steam. :D

Just a tip: try turning off AA completely and just upping your resolution. I disabled AA, increased my rest from 1024 x 768 to 1680 x 1050, and also increased a few effects (everything is now at normal, with post process and antistropic set to Very High) and I'm getting as good or better FPS (around 30 average).

I also noticed MASSIVE mouse lag with a lot of AA, to those of you who said they had it.

ZombieSupaStar said:
Can you do me a favor and try running the benchmark one more time, this time have the general setting on very low, then under advanced go and make sure everything else is set to it's lowest setting.

Also before you do it, can you go to your Config file which is usually located in:
XP: C:\documents and settings\user\<login account>\My documents\ArmA 2
Vista: C:\users\<login account>\documents\Arma 2
Windows 7: 1. C:\users\<login account>\my documents\Arma 2

Basically, it's in your documents folder under the name "ArmA2.cfg"

open that up in notepad and paste the info here?

Sorry to ask so much but I'm completely at a loss here, I have the same CPU, 8 gigs of ram and a 4870x2 and the best score I can get with every thing on low is the same score you get on high. And on high I get like 27 FPS.

MickeyKnox said:
Can you do me a favor and try running the benchmark one more time, this time have the general setting on very low, then under advanced go and make sure everything else is set to it's lowest setting.

Also before you do it, can you go to your Config file which is usually located in:

Sorry to ask so much but I'm completely at a loss here, I have the same CPU, 8 gigs of ram and a 4870x2 and the best score I can get with every thing on low is the same score you get on high. And on high I get like 27 FPS.

armabenchL.jpg

armabenchR1.jpg

Code:
language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=-4194304;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Resolution_W=1920;
Resolution_H=1080;
refresh=60;
Render_W=1920;
Render_H=1080;
FSAA=0;
postFX=2;
HDRPrecision=8;
lastDeviceId="";
localVRAM=1045147649;
nonlocalVRAM=527433727;

MickeyKnox said:

Mickey, did you read my reply to Che regarding Crossfire/SLI setups? You have to trick the game into using it, its not officially supported yet.

CENOBITE

Noooo! Downloaded the demo and even w all settings to lowest, it was a slideshow. :(........

this is quite a disappointment. Guess I won't be playing this anytime soon. Suddenly it's like waiting for a new rig to play Doom 3 all over again.

Mr. Snrub said:
Mickey, did you read my reply to Che regarding Crossfire/SLI setups? You have to trick the game into using it, its not officially supported yet.
Well I'm waiting on an RMA for my card, so technically it's a 4870 1gb right now.

But what I can't understand is the CPU issue, when going with the absolute lowest settings I'm still coming up a good 20 or so FPS under his score.

MickeyKnox said:
Well I'm waiting on an RMA for my card, so technically it's a 4870 1gb right now.

But what I can't understand is the CPU issue, when going with the absolute lowest settings I'm still coming up a good 20 or so FPS under his score.

you have intel speedstep disabled in your bios right? some reason that would kick in and my cod4 would run like it was on a 386

ZombieSupaStar said:
you have intel speedstep disabled in your bios right? some reason that would kick in and my cod4 would run like it was on a 386
yeah man, of course.

Are you running some kind of OC? And what OS if I may ask.

I have a q9550 that's on the way, will be updating performance once it gets here.

markot

Banned
Pretty great >.>

What does the '3d resolution' do >.<? Seems to make it blurrier the lower it is, but it looks better imo!

I like the attention to detail in some bits, like the dragonflys and the distortion from the heat off the runway.

markot said:
Pretty great >.>

What does the '3d resolution' do >.<? Seems to make it blurrier the lower it is, but it looks better imo!

I like the attention to detail in some bits, like the dragonflys and the distortion from the heat off the runway.
3d resolution is the resolution the engine renders at.

So say you set the main rez to 1280x720, and the 3d rez to 1920x1080 then the game will render at 1080p and downscale it to the resolution it's outputting to the monitor.

Atrophis

Mr. Snrub said:
Just a tip: try turning off AA completely and just upping your resolution. I disabled AA, increased my rest from 1024 x 768 to 1680 x 1050, and also increased a few effects (everything is now at normal, with post process and antistropic set to Very High) and I'm getting as good or better FPS (around 30 average).

I also noticed MASSIVE mouse lag with a lot of AA, to those of you who said they had it.

Yeah i turned off AA in the demo last night and it ran perfectly. Not sure what crazy implementation they have for AA but it runs like shit.

The latest patch mentions a proper AA option so i guess whats in the demo is some clunky work around.

Walshicus

Mr. Snrub said:

Are you talking about the new AA or the old 3D resolution/interface resolution thing? Because the new AA is much faster for me than increasing my resolution.

So no, turn AA up and resolution down!

Sir Fragula said:
Are you talking about the new AA or the old 3D resolution/interface resolution thing? Because the new AA is much faster for me than increasing my resolution.

So no, turn AA up and resolution down!

This was just in the demo, sorry :)

Woke up extra early to play the full game before work today!

Walshicus

Has anyone actually managed to do the Taxi challenge in Armoury for the first available helicopter? Damned if I can load enough people in the time provided. Did it with ample time on the motorbike though...

WTF man all of sudden the demo runs just above solid 30 fps for me on my laptop. All I did was turn video memory on very high and it runs smooth as hell. I have a 1 gb card so figured I turn it all the way up. Maybe I need to buy the game now.

Does anyone have any insight as to why I get a 10 fps improvement with video memory on very high

bee

Cat in the Hat said:
WTF man all of sudden the demo runs just above solid 30 fps for me on my laptop. All I did was turn video memory on very high and it runs smooth as hell. I have a 1 gb card so figured I turn it all the way up. Maybe I need to buy the game now.

Does anyone have any insight as to why I get a 10 fps improvement with video memory on very high

dunno why its helped but vid mem set to v high = 512mb usage, set it to default and it uses the figure from arma2.cfg which will be far closer to your actual amount of vram

PeteJ

The latest update seems to have done the game wonders on my PC - not only does it suddenly look twice as good (before anything beyond 100ft was a blury mess) but not it seems to be almost bug free.

Are there any mods to make the sound of running better?

TheExodu5

Banned
Just a note: the game feels much better if you bring up the Y axis sensitivity up almost 2x in the control panel.

By default, the Y axis is much slower than the X axis in game, which is really annoying.

The mouse lag is annoyingly still present with VSync set to off, and pre-rendered frames set to zero. I want to get rid of it!

Just played the first mission. Lot of fun, production seems better than the demo already. We need some high res screenshots to own the "The awesome super high resolution PC screenshot thread."

One problem I'm getting (and I'm posting this on the ArmA forum too) is that I don't think I have an ArmA 2 config (arma2.cfg?) file. It's not in my documents, but here's the thing: I have My Documents on its own partition, and have designated it as such in Windows. In my arma2.rpt (report?), which is located in c:\users\my name\application data\local\, it has "cannot access My Documents" over and over, and I can't change my profile name in game, and I think some of my settings get reverted everytime I load up the game. Any ideas? I did a search of my machine for the config file but found nothing.

Anyone try out any mods yet?

TheExodu5 said:
Just a note: the game feels much better if you bring up the Y axis sensitivity up almost 2x in the control panel.

By default, the Y axis is much slower than the X axis in game, which is really annoying.

The mouse lag is annoyingly still present with VSync set to off, and pre-rendered frames set to zero. I want to get rid of it!

Give this a shot, I've heard about it in the official forums: go into your Mouse control panel and turn off enhanced mouse pointer acceleration (might be worded different). For some it has made a huge difference.

TheExodu5

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Give this a shot, I've heard about it in the official forums: go into your Mouse control panel and turn off enhanced mouse pointer acceleration (might be worded different). For some it has made a huge difference.

It's always off. I never use mouse acceleration.

TheExodu5 said:
It's always off. I never use mouse acceleration.

Hm, don't know. What's your AA set to? High AA caused all kinds of responsiveness issues in the demo for me (haven't tried full game), even in the menus.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Is it only me or the game is indeed very blurry? It somehow feels very blurry, especially the jungle and grass. Are my settings wrong or something?

Top Bottom