• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official ArmA 2 Thread of DOGCHUTES RGR

kittoo said:
Is it only me or the game is indeed very blurry? It somehow feels very blurry, especially the jungle and grass. Are my settings wrong or something?

blur mod or turn post processing down or off completely.

ooooo christmas time in ARMA

ArmA2Demo2009-06-2712-08-10-71.jpg

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
MrPing1000 said:
blur mod or turn post processing down or off completely.

No I am not talking about blur while moving. I am talking about everything feeling a little...what should I call....'not sharp enough'. I mean, even when I am standing and looking at grass or trees..they all seem a little messed up, blurred. Not as sharp as other games. For example, in Crysis or even DMC4, see a bush and can see a lot of different leaves and every grass leave (almost). But here, all I see is a blurred bush and nothing is sharp clear.
Still not clear what I am saying? Looks like I am not good at explaining

kittoo said:
No I am not talking about blur while moving. I am talking about everything feeling a little...what should I call....'not sharp enough'. I mean, even when I am standing and looking at grass or trees..they all seem a little messed up, blurred. Not as sharp as other games. For example, in Crysis or even DMC4, see a bush and can see a lot of different leaves and every grass leave (almost). But here, all I see is a blurred bush and nothing is sharp clear.
Dude turn off Post Processing. It is causing the blur, disable it.

kittoo said:

Might be the rendering (3D) resolution is lower than the ouput resolution, upscaling the image and making it blurry.

And is there a way to tone down the bloom? I'm playing the first scenario from the demo, and the sky is like nuclear white, even with postprocessing on low.

kittoo said:
Is it only me or the game is indeed very blurry? It somehow feels very blurry, especially the jungle and grass. Are my settings wrong or something?

Cat in the hat said it. I think going from Normal to High causes the horizon to blur/DOF effect...at least in the demo. I really don't mind it, even on my plasma tv. I think the blur effects are great in the game.

And as was said, try to make sure your resolution and 3d resolution/fillrate match.

Regarding the 3D resolution/fill rate...when I would change it from 150% to 200%, the screen would flicker before it changed, so I couldn't really tell the difference. So I took some pics (sorry, at work now) and the only real difference I could notice was that the LOD was extended...the only things that changed in the shots were some bushes and trees, it seemed. Anyone else do some tests with this?

Confidence Man said:
And is there a way to tone down the bloom? I'm playing the first scenario from the demo, and the sky is like nuclear white, even with postprocessing on low.

This is a bug with that mission, I think. You should be able to exit the demo and go back in, and it should be fine.

Flib

Yeah, my game was incredibly blurry until I turned Post-Processing off, that's the key.

I just love how dynamic the missions are in this game. The full game is much better than the demo in terms of structure/missions and performance (now I have it running smooth with everything on high at 1920x1200, unlike the demo).

Also, Armory mode is ridiculous, I can't believe how much game is packed into this. 512 unlockables using random unscripted challenges? Playing as a goat and running away from poachers wtf?

I love this game.

Mendelevium said:
How do you get your squad to heal you? I cant seem to get them to do anything.

Curious about this too...in the demo, I got shot and told my Corpsman that I was injured, but he didn't do anything...

Flib,
Really hate that I have to work right now. Even in the demo, the first mission had a ton of dynamic changes. Some missions I would be dragging team members to cover and healing them, other times that would happen to me. One time a huge patrol of rebels wandered into us, another time we had to call in CAS support because an APC came into town. Really does wonders for the replay value.

Zenith

Banned
Mendelevium said:
How do you get your squad to heal you? I cant seem to get them to do anything.

press F2/3/4 and click next to you to get him to move to you. then hit his key again and press 6 to display his action menu. if he's close enough "heal" should be there.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I can't seem to save graphics settings properly. As soon as I change one of them, they all revert back to very high, which I have to reset all again. Anyone else having this problem?

Damn I so much want to play this game without distractions and this damn game itself keeps bugging me.

kittoo said:
I can't seem to save graphics settings properly. As soon as I change one of them, they all revert back to very high, which I have to reset all again. Anyone else having this problem?

Damn I so much want to play this game without distractions and this damn game itself keeps bugging me.
Yes, playing the Steam demo. I can get it to stay at "low," buy if I try to set it normal it'll revert to high (or maybe very high, can't remember).

MGHA

I also cant figure out how to give my squad orders. such as Hold position, stop. My menus don't come up or something when I press space bar.

MickeyKnox said:
yeah man, of course.

Are you running some kind of OC? And what OS if I may ask.

I have a q9550 that's on the way, will be updating performance once it gets here.

nah my rig is fairly mid range stuff now (Im not upgrading again hopefully till near diablo 3 if I can help it, mebbe another 2 gigs o ram when I get win 7 if anything) Im currently using winxp pro sp3

cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

cpuz3.jpg

Atrophis

Cat in the Hat said:
ooooo christmas time in ARMA

Was getting the same but i just updated my graphics drivers and its done the trick.

Still havent got the game but i saw ARMA for £5 while shopping this morning and have just spent the last hour patching it. Gonna give it a go now.

ZombieSupaStar said:
nah my rig is fairly mid range stuff now (Im not upgrading again hopefully till near diablo 3 if I can help it, mebbe another 2 gigs o ram when I get win 7 if anything) Im currently using winxp pro sp3

cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

cpuz3.jpg
Holy shit dude, looking around on the forums I've found a post or two that seem to indicate the difference is the OS. I'm running Vista 64bit, a guy who has xp on dual boot did a test and he gets a significant performance bump in XP.

Fuck this bullshit.

Mr. Snrub said:
Have you tried running in XP compatibility mode?

Would seem like a pretty fluke situation...
it does jack shit, I wonder if he was also Vsynced for the ultra low test, but as it stands right now, there's at least a 20% hit to the frame rate on ultra low settings when running vista64 compared to XP.

AAAAANNNND that's with an OC and faster RAM, the OC netted me some extra frames, so the difference is actually bigger and it wouldn't surprise me if he had vsync on and it lowered his potential score.

armaBS.jpg

Mr. Snrub said:
I just don't get why the problem would be the OS. If you have the RAM, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
It's a throwback to pre SP1 days of vista where game performance was seriously hindered, nowadays the difference should be at the most 2-4% in XP's favor which is fine but this is ridiculous.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
For reference, min settings vsync off I get this (i7 currently at 3.6, windows 7 RC):

arma2benchsettingsmin.jpg

Dunno mang.

Zenith

Banned
gah. The mission after Manhatten is REALLY cheap.
You have to reach the coast. Every single option available to you says to fuck off from the base, even if you're heading to meet some contacts instead. There are no contacts. It's a wild goose chase. Roughly within 3km of the waypoint you are scripted to die, no matter what. you can kill every russian on the island you will still auto-die. What you're meant to do is either call a chopper (you're advised not to because of SAMS) or follow some NAPA guys who've already told you to go away and give no hint of that they could progress the mission. When I realised this I took the original option to call the UH-1Y and be picked up just outside the killzone instead of at the base (only 3km to travel instead of 9). However the chopper then flew AWAY from the waypoint back towards the base and the point where it's scripted to be shot down.

EVERY mission has issues. Every single one. I can see now why all the previews called the campaign unplayable. You read the help threads for v1.0 and v1.1. and every scripting bug we're encountering now used to result in a CTD. No wonder it got 4/10.

Mendelevium said:
I also cant figure out how to give my squad orders. such as Hold position, stop. My menus don't come up or something when I press space bar.

for some reason the top menu doesn't display the right categories. I just remember from OFP and Arma1 that 2 is for movement, 3 is for targeting, 4 is for mounting vehicles, 6 is for actions, etc.

lol does anyone else see a deckhand just fall over and die when you start the "trial by fire" scenario? If you are looking at the chopper you are meant to get in, he is just to the left of it, towards the front of the ship. When I start the mission he is just standing there, and then falls over dead for no reason. Pretty funny.

I got the 360 controller working except for I can't figure out how to invert the aim.

Runs great @ 1920x1080, 3d rez the same, everything set to very high, but shadows (high) and disabled AA and postprocessing. View distance 3013.

Having tons of fun with the game, haven't even tried multiplayer yet.

ZombieSupaStar said:
ran it again with vsync forced off in the nvidia control panel

83 all low
40 previous posted high settings
I fucking knew it.

This is seriously FUBAR, I refuse to believe Vista is gimping me by almost 60% on a system with a higher clock speed and faster ram.

bee

MickeyKnox said:
I fucking knew it.

This is seriously FUBAR, I refuse to believe Vista is gimping me by almost 60% on a system with a higher clock speed and faster ram.

xp has been shown by others to be 30% faster than vista/w7 with this game, nice coding!

how are you disabling vsync? don't think the driver forcing way works with it in vista try using d3doverrider

MGHA

Cat in the Hat said:
So can anyone attest to the retail running a lot better than the steam demo? I just bought the game off steam.

Game is running a lot better for me than the demo. Be sure to set your video memory in game to high or very high.

Chris R

I'll have to try the no blur mod, the blur almost made me sick. 1920x1080 max everything running smooth as butter on my quad core + 4870 though

Shawsie64

Banned
bee said:
xp has been shown by others to be 30% faster than vista/w7 with this game, nice coding!

how are you disabling vsync? don't think the driver forcing way works with it in vista try using d3doverrider

I played the demo on XP then formatted today and installed windows 7.. I get 5 more fps in windows 7

So strange. I was playing around yesterday with resolutions, and found that no matter what resolution I had, the FPS stayed the same. So I am now playing at 1920 x 1080 with 133% fill rate, but no AA. What a strange engine.

MGHA

How do I get the heli to come pick me up? I noticed I don't have commander mode yet. I also have no idea how to give the heli pilot orders.

The game is really amazing tho. SO much to do. It is such a blast controlling my squad etc.

Darklord

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Holy shit dude, looking around on the forums I've found a post or two that seem to indicate the difference is the OS. I'm running Vista 64bit, a guy who has xp on dual boot did a test and he gets a significant performance bump in XP.

Fuck this bullshit.

Uh oh. I'm running Vista 64bit too...

Zenith

Banned
new mission, new bugs. This one has 2 gamebreakers. First Razor team don't respond to commands and second the mission can't be completed. As soon as it checks the main objective as done it unchecks it a few seconds later. no one on the official forums seems to have been able to complete it.

Also I understand that if you're on the mission Manhatten, you're more than half way through the campaign. :/

Hm, I didn't have all the bugs in Razor Two. If anything, the mission is explained very poorly and some of the scripting is off. You don't have to complete all the objectives; the ONLY objective I completed was talking to the intel guy in the main camp. I got one piece of evidence, as well. The mission isn't broken, it just sort of doesn't have a point, the way its designed now. You can either run around the island getting intel/trying to get Bardak, or just wait and I would assume it would end one Lopotav escapes.

Zeliard

Mr. Snrub said:
Hm, I didn't have all the bugs in Razor Two. If anything, the mission is explained very poorly and some of the scripting is off. You don't have to complete all the objectives; the ONLY objective I completed was talking to the intel guy in the main camp. I got one piece of evidence, as well. The mission isn't broken, it just sort of doesn't have a point, the way its designed now. You can either run around the island getting intel/trying to get Bardak, or just wait and I would assume it would end one Lopotav escapes.

Lopotev doesn't seem to exist in that mission, and he always ends up escaping because that's how it's supposed to go. Is Bardak around, though? Can you capture/kill him?

I've done that mission at least 4 times because I thought it might be broken, and all four times I'd just wander around getting in random scuffles until getting a call that Lopotev was going to cross the border in 20 mins. I never found any "evidence" of any sort, nor does it seem you have to.

Edit: Btw, the game is much smoother for me after upgrading to Windows 7. If anyone is still on Vista, you really need to do yourself a favor. W7 is so much more responsive and seems to be far less of a resources hog.

Cat in the Hat said:
Would running in compatibility mode help?
Does nothing for me.

Though there may also be a bug in the code that's causing my particular setup to be hit as hard as it currently is (60% less performance than the same CPU in another box at the same low settings.)

Basically, I've got a Q9550 coming via FedEx, it's the last upgrade I'm doing on my 775 mobo before going i7 sometime next year, gonna reformat and this time I'll go back to my old dual boot setup and run tests with the benchmark again.

MickeyKnox said:
Does nothing for me.

Though there may also be a bug in the code that's causing my particular setup to be hit as hard as it currently is (60% less performance than the same CPU in another box at the same low settings.)

Basically, I've got a Q9550 coming via FedEx, it's the last upgrade I'm doing on my 775 mobo before going i7 sometime next year, gonna reformat and this time I'll go back to my old dual boot setup and run tests with the benchmark again.
I tried it too and like you it did squat.

So I got the game and if what your saying is the case i'm having the same problem. For some reason the demo ran way better for me and the full game is running like ass for me. I got 30+ fps on the demo and sub 25 in the full game. It really bugging me the shit out of me. I might just delete and re instal the demo so I can play online at a decent frame.

cameltoe

downloading from steam as I type......will post some bench results.

q6600 @ 2.7
4GB Corsair ddr2 800
Win vista home P 32bit
4870 1GB
37" Westy monitor @ 1920x1080 60HZ

Odyssey

Banned
I really regret buying a 2.3 ghz quadcore cpu instead of a dual or something above 3.0 ghz. Not looking forward to how this game plays. :/

cameltoe

umm, tried going thru the firing range and it fails before I even take a shot!! lol

No matter what I do, he coments how shitty I am...LOL I didnt even fire the fucking weapon!!

Do I have to patch the steam version?

Top Bottom