• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Burnout 3 Thread - Sparks Let Me Touch You!

swoon

why can't you turn off most of the ea trax?

you can either have them play in menu or in game. that's so fucking awful. if i hear fucking midtown again and it's not 1995 i'm going to kill everything.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
swoon said:
if i hear fucking midtown again and it's not 1995 i'm going to kill everything.
It's EA's way of enhancing the gameplay. They get you in the mood to slaughter everything so you'll do much better in Crash mode.

atomsk

Party Pooper
when unlocking a new series of cars, LET THAT SHITTY MUSIC PLAY. dont just jam on the A button.

this will help with the fucking lockups.

at least, mine hasnt locked up since. cause thats were it would die on me every time.

i also had a lock up when pausing in the middle of a crash in crash mode, then unpausing to go back into the crash...

RuGalz

kaching: Supposedly change your PS2's setting in browser to 16 : 9 will make it run in widescreen mode. I haven't tried it yet though.

This game is such a blast. I played it with Logitech wheel for like 3 or 4 hours last night until my arms were sore. Playing the game using wheel seems harder at first but it's also hard to go back to pads after getting used to the wheel. :D

Solid

I saw this a moment ago... might be old.

http://insider.ign.com/articles/545/545438p6.html

IGN head to head

Features - Winner Ranking:
1. PlayStation 2/Xbox (tie)

Control - Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox (stronger analog controls, both for acceleration and steering; minor advantage)
2. PlayStation 2(less action on X, slightly less responsive analog stick)

Sound - Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox (custom soundtracks, clearer audio, better separation; major advantage)

Graphics - Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox (higher-res textures, slightly steadier framerate; minor advantage)
2. PlayStation 2 (great particles, nice bloom effects)

Presentation - Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox (faster loading, better online voice support; medium advantage)
2. PlayStation 2 (longer load times, more awkward voice support for PS2)

Final Verdict - Overall Winner: Xbox

Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox(higher-res textures, better audio, slightly faster framerate, better online audio; medium advantage)
2. PlayStation 2 (great effects, solid framerate, good audio, but not the best overall)

Notes for HDTV Owners

Both games run in widescreen. That's awesome, and we've always loved Criterion for getting the job done. There's something more important, though: in Burnout 3 progressive scan (480p) almost improves the visuals two-fold. When set to 480p widescreen, it's very hard to tell the PS2 and Xbox versions apart. Both share an amazing boost in brightness, contrast, and overall clarity thanks to 480p. The PS2, especially, blew us away with how amazing it looked in progressive scan.

Sadly, we unable to capture screenshots of progressive video. But, trust us, it looks amazing. Progressive scan also refreshes one full-frame every 1/60th of a second. That means you're getting all 60 frames per second of Takedown, as opposed to interlaced, which only refreshes a frame every 1/30th of a second.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
RuGalz said:
kaching: Supposedly change your PS2's setting in browser to 16 : 9 will make it run in widescreen mode. I haven't tried it yet though.
Thanks, RuGalz, that did the trick!

Ramirez

Some dude was using the look alike F1 car yesterday against us and we had like Coupes and shit...I didn't care really,but dude was bragging about how much better he was,lmao!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I'm torn. Either get the game (XBOX) version for free, or pay for the PS2 version so that I can play online.

Decisions...

heavy liquid said:
In crash mode (maybe others, I don't know) if you're playing with friends, you're unable to enter your name if you win. Or at all, for that matter. You're just player 1 and player 2. In addition to this, you can't see the high scores or who has them while playing crash. You have to exit back to the main menu and go find the particular crash area in records. This kills the fun in the offline multiplayer crash for me. I've logged countless hours in Burnout 2 playing crash with friends, as I'm sure many others have, and these changes are really disappointing.

Oh, and thank god we can turn off "DJ Stryker"!

That's BULLSHIT :(

I've logged about 100 hours multiplayer in Burnout 2, particually the racing mode. I can't believe you can't enter your names in for the high scores!! FUCK

Other then this I LOVE this game. Awesome.

Sysgen

DaCocoBrova said:
I'm torn. Either get the game (XBOX) version for free, or pay for the PS2 version so that I can play online.

Decisions...

The Xbox version comes with a free 2 month XBL subscription.

swoon

TekunoRobby said:
It's EA's way of enhancing the gameplay. They get you in the mood to slaughter everything so you'll do much better in Crash mode.

but it doesn't even play in crash mode, thank god. so many bad songs. on the plus New Found Glory and Bouncing "we wish we were fishbone" Souls can be turned off. but i mean if some of the tracks can be turned off, i think the 30 plus that are fucking awful should be.

i guess i need to get an xbox.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I guess I am about the only one who doesn't mind the soundtrack. Can really barely hear the words anyway cause of the amount of booming coming from my woofer during boost dashes. Just need the raging elec guitars and I am set :)

Anyway, this game is easily game of the year thus far. Halo 2 is going to have lots of competition this year. Online Team Road Rage is the greatest mode in the history of online racing games.

EDIT: Also for anybody that wants to show this game off to their friends, play Road Rage on Silver Lake South with Super class cars (200+ MPH). Double and even Triple takedowns are the norm. Fantastic to watch.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Oh and one more thing. The tracks in this game are unbelievable. They must have hired a new set of track designers cause they are MUCH better then BO2's. Downtown South, King of the Road West, and Silver Lake (south and north) are just too fantastic for words. They each have memorable parts to them so memorizing them is much easier then the bland ho hum tracks in #2.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Sp3eD said:
Oh and one more thing. The tracks in this game are unbelievable. They must have hired a new set of track designers cause they are MUCH better then BO2's. Downtown South, King of the Road West, and Silver Lake (south and north) are just too fantastic for words. They each have memorable parts to them so memorizing them is much easier then the bland ho hum tracks in #2.

I am thinking that the NFS team had something to do with the tracks. Just a guess. I am getting much fo a NFS feel while playing.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
dskillzhtown said:
I am thinking that the NFS team had something to do with the tracks. Just a guess. I am getting much fo a NFS feel while playing.

I think so too. Some reminded me of Hot Pursuit, which is a fantastic thing, btw.

Red Dolphin said:
That's BULLSHIT :(

I've logged about 100 hours multiplayer in Burnout 2, particually the racing mode. I can't believe you can't enter your names in for the high scores!! FUCK

Other then this I LOVE this game. Awesome.

Even if you didn't care about entering your names for the records, you can't access the records while playing crash or racing (you have to exit and go into the records section), which makes competition difficult. It's like they actually tried to make it disappointing for offline multiplayer.

It's too bad, because I also loved the offline competiton in Burnout 2, and logged at least 100 hours playing with friends except it was mostly in crash mode. Before, we could just pass the controller around, and enter our name if one of us got a high score.

Chittagong

Gold Member
This is an amazing game. Played last night until 4.30 am. So... addictive...

I must moan a bit about the balancing, however. Some tracks take me for ages to get gold in (especially the city ones), while I might complete the track following them on the first go (Waterfront Muscle GP, I'm talking about you!!). "You've got to be consistently great to progress in this competition". Well, not quite so.

Back to playing!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Sp3eD said:
Actually, some of the course design is reminiscent of Burnout 1. I think it's more a matter of what combining what worked well from both previous installments in the series.

atomsk

Party Pooper
it is just me, or is there MORE traffic when you play online?

not saying thats a bad thing or anything, just wondering

AFter 26hrs of playing all Gold Medals Achived, 99% complete with only the signature takedowns to complete.

Single Basically complete ! Online all the way from now on.

BeOnEdge

Banned
atomsk said:
it is just me, or is there MORE traffic when you play online?

not saying thats a bad thing or anything, just wondering

I noticed that too. Makes the downtown level pretty hard, but gives the other players behind a chance to catch up.

DopeyFish said:
where does it tell me the $ value to break in crash mode????? wtf.

You have to play the crash levels in the World Tour. It's mixed in with the other modes of play -- Crash, Race, Takedown.. etc. All (or most of) the unlocking of cars and courses are done there. I'm assuming you tried to play Crash in the Single Event like I did at first.

mr2mike

Banned
haha, I just read the lack of a manny tranny option i the game, wich is extremely idiotic on the dev's part.

Probably gonna rent it over the weekend, but however good it might be, it's starting with a very heavy handicap.

I cannot stand anything auto, even in a videogame. the torque converter is the devil incarnate, If I could erase one invention in the history of man I'd gladly keep the A bomb if it was to make the evil of the automatic tranny vanish from this earth forever.

There's a simple reason why it matters ingame too: when I dont shift gears, I get bored. And even if Burnout 3 isn't boring, the intensity would just find itself enhanced with having to shift gears while everything is going on.

epmode

with the way the burnout boost is set up in this game, i can't imagine that you'd be able to switch gears fast enough. try hitting a boost in an indy car. you literally go from about 40 to 200 mph in under 2 seconds.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Sweet god, i swear this game has THE CLEAREST image quality i have ever seen in a home game. at 480p(xbox ofcourse), this game has even blown away the 1080i games i have seen. i think it has something to do with the framerate and the effects that are blended with the graphics like the particles and the blur effects. Like the intro scene/fly by of a crash junction...it looks so damn GOOD!!! almost CG clarity! same goes for when you crash! even flipping thru the air at highspeed, the framerate remains solid and nary a flicker of image quality. HOW!!!! how did they do it?

Honestly, I think BO3's in game graphics are mediocre. They looks great because of the colors and sense of speed/style. But, its jaggy as hell on my X-Box at times.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Best image quality ever award goes to Ninja Gaiden. I swear, on my TV, in 480p, there are zero jaggies.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i havent seen a jag yet. it almost looks as the high res snowy mountain official burnout 3 pic that ea released. this game >>>>>>>>ninja gaidens IQ. HG looks great but this kicks it up a notch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think it looks incredible. The image quality on the two systems is exactly the same as well, believe it or not.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
WTF some ass-smack kicked me from their room like 5 seconds after i joined, then whatever game i try to join it says my account is temporarily locked. what. the. fuck. SO LAME

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's certainly one of the best looking racers ever, and one of the best IQ on PS2 as well (Effects go without saying). Criterion people are damn wizards, and I feel Sony has kinda dropped the ball by allowing EA to buy them, considering how much Criterion favors Sony. In any case, I just can't wait to see their first PSP game.

Like the intro scene/fly by of a crash junction...it looks so damn GOOD!!! almost CG clarity!
You mean the scene where it plays the song "We are the Lazy generation"? That is FMV. It uses in-game assets, but it's FMV, kinda like GT3 intro.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sysgen said:
That doesn't say much.

The point was that the image quality is extremely good and looks the same on both PS2 and XBOX when running in 480p mode. That's all.

Pimpbaa

The game looks great for a multiplatform title, but it still can't compare to a game specifically made for the xbox.

Pimpbaa said:
The game looks great for a multiplatform title, but it still can't compare to a game specifically made for the xbox.

Now if Bunkasha did a new XBOX racer at 60fps, it'd be unbelievable! Or, at least, I'd hope so.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Marconelly said:
You mean the scene where it plays the song "We are the Lazy generation"? That is FMV. It uses in-game assets, but it's FMV, kinda like GT3 intro.

no. right before you do a crash junction and it shows you the multiplyers and crap then zooms back over to the starting grid.

"No Way! Graphics are mediocre. Image Quality is PS2ish. Looks OK in 480p."

HELL NO. unless the full ps2 version looks 10 times better than the demo, NO!!!

Sysgen

dark10x said:
The point was that the image quality is extremely good and looks the same on both PS2 and XBOX when running in 480p mode. That's all.

I know you rpoint and I respect it. BO3 is a great game and perhaps the best usage of the Renderware engine to date. My point however is a direct continuation of yours. If the two systems running BO3 are for intensive purposes visually alike then what does that say about the point made by the starter of this thread given the graphical superiority of the Xbox.

It reminds me of PGR2 a little in the visuals dept. I really think PGR should have gone in a direction more like Burnout's.It looks realy nice. At the same time the art and color pallate behind the technology doesn't blow me away.

xsarien

daedsiluap
For a Renderware game, BO3 is amazing. But it's certainly not the end all, be all for graphics, on any platform.

Top Bottom