• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Burnout 3 Thread - Sparks Let Me Touch You!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
HELL NO. unless the full ps2 version looks 10 times better than the demo, NO!!!

Actually, it kinda does. The demo is a poor representation of the product. The PS2 and XBOX versions of BO3 both look virtually the same when running in 480p.

I'd say BO3 is one of the best looking racers ever made. It seems like a combination of newer technology and the older "Model 3" look. It just looks very solid and beautiful in motion. The blurring effects are also godly...

BeOnEdge

Banned
i'm refering to IMAGE QUALITY!!! CLARITY!!! NOT SEEING SHIMMERY MESSES AND BROKEN TEXTURES ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! nothing else!!!

dark10x said:
Actually, it kinda does. The demo is a poor representation of the product. The PS2 and XBOX versions of BO3 both look virtually the same when running in 480p.

no.

dark10x

BeOnEdge said:
i'm refering to IMAGE QUALITY!!! CLARITY!!! NOT SEEING SHIMMERY MESSES AND BROKEN TEXTURES ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! nothing else!!!

I'm also referring to that.

I just got done playing a bunch of single player (At the Muscle Series GP and played maybe a dozen or so crash junctions) along with a few games of Road Rage online. I really like the game but I don't think its the second coming of arcade racing games either.

dark10x

BeOnEdge said:

no.

What the hell is wrong with you? Christ, you just spout out things you don't even have experience with. Tell me, when did you play Burnout 3 PS2 at your home to compare?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Man people are such graphic whores these days. Burnout 3 looks friggin great and it plays friggin great. And yeah, for a Renderware game, I find the game unbelievable. And to top it off, it's all 60 fps

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HELL NO. unless the full ps2 version looks 10 times better than the demo, NO!!!
Uhh, chil out a bit, for God's sake... BO3 PS2 demo didn't have progressive scan mode. It didn't even have widescreen mode. Plus it looked a bit worse in other ways than the final game.

Yes, they don't look 100% identical. Reviews have said as much, at least. PS2 version apparently has some snall things better visually (sparks and specular bloom effect), Xbox version on the other hand has some other small things done better, like some textures.

dark10x

Yes, they don't look 100% identical. Reviews have said as much, at least. PS2 version apparently has some snall things better visually (sparks and specular bloom effect), Xbox version on the other hand has some other small things done better, like some textures.

The differences are rather minor, but he was referring to IMAGE quality. The PS2 version is pretty much equal to the XBOX release in terms of image quality when running in 480p. I don't think he realizes how much additional shimmering can be added when the game is running in lower resolutions on a line doubler...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah, my cuz' picked up the PS2 version today and I saw it running on his TV. Same shit; the differences are negligible, really.

just picked up the PS2 version about an hour ago. Played a couple races and it kicks ass. Graphics are fantastic. A little jaggy (and im not playing on progressive scan, so im not trying to get into that debate) but overall it looks great. Screename is Spoonman28 in case anyone wants to race sometime.

WTF is up with that Striker asshole? Please don't tell me i have to listen to his fucking 10 minute lesson on how to play burnout every friggin' time i play a single race?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
mr2mike said:
haha, I just read the lack of a manny tranny option i the game .

Oh God...are you fucking serious??? Lame.

epmode

isamu said:
dude. you like outrun 2 more. we know.

anyway, since i love self-quoting:
epmode said:
with the way the burnout boost is set up in this game, i can't imagine that you'd be able to switch gears fast enough. try hitting a boost in an indy car. you literally go from about 40 to 200 mph in under 2 seconds.
most other cars have similar boost accelleration curves, so this doesn't misrepresent the game..

Ramirez

Why in the unholy fuck are you guys arguing over such stupid shit?!

The game is great,in all aspects,stfu and enjoy it -_-

shpankey

not an idiot
DaCocoBrova said:
I'm torn. Either get the game (XBOX) version for free, or pay for the PS2 version so that I can play online.

Decisions...

Get the Xbox version, then use the money you would have used to BUY the PS2 version to BUY an Xbox Live Kit. Then you can play online with Xbox version and as a bonus, get a whole year of Xbox stuff online.

Either way, you pay the same amount basically, but with Xbox way, you get a year online (may come in handy for other Xbox games in the future).

OK, put in about 7 hours since yesterday, about 28% unlocked. It's a great great game, you'd be a sucker not to pick it up for EITHER platform. My slight gripe, even with the fact that it's an arcade game, is that the blurring kicks in around 60 mph...

BTW, AXE kicking down some money to advertise in-game?

Friend

Anyone play the World Grand Prix yet? It was the hardest part of the game yet so far but I managed to get a gold. The cart racers are insanely fast.

shpankey said:
Get the Xbox version, then use the money you would have used to BUY the PS2 version to BUY an Xbox Live Kit. Then you can play online with Xbox version and as a bonus, get a whole year of Xbox stuff online.
Wow, that's actually a very good idea. I'm kind of pertrubed that I didn't initially think of it.

Ninja Scooter said:
WTF is up with that Striker asshole? Please don't tell me i have to listen to his fucking 10 minute lesson on how to play burnout every friggin' time i play a single race?

You can turn him off in the options..

This game is friggin' awesome! This is also one of those few online games that I cannot see anyone bitching in-game about, really. You're supposed to do fucked up shit in it.

Rorschach

Holy crap, it's 3am...I'm supposed to be up at 6! :p

Great game. I was worried after all the talk about online sucking, but with the exception of one game (got booted, but only after race was over), it's been awesome online. I still haven't tried all the online modes yet (only crash, racing, and road rage), but racing alone is worth the money.

Solid

Grubdog said:
I'll wait for the GC version.
sad.gif

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's been proven that the Gamecube couldn't handle the sparks, that's why there is no BO3 for it.

Sysgen

commish said:
It's been proven that the Gamecube couldn't handle the sparks, that's why there is no BO3 for it.

Speaking of the sparks, there seem to be 2 types of sparks in the Xbox version. I've seen both the "straw" and enhanced sparks.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm having a bitch of a time with some of the gold medal time laps. The traffic gets insane on some of them.

This game is sooooooo good. I can't believe how much they improved a series that was pretty decent to begin with.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Haha, I had the same problem. That bitch of a video will keep appearing as long as you don't play the 'World Tour' at least a little bit. So, just finish one track in the World Tour, and then you can play Single Events as much as you want and the instructional video will never appear again.

xsarien

daedsiluap
isamu said:

Seriously, with the amount of shit going on in BO3, from concentrating on takedowns, boosting, and just generally trying to finish the race in one piece, a manual transmission would be a distraction of massive proportions.

Besides, we're not talking GT4 here. It's an arcade racer, almost to the point of exaggeration.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I picked up the Xbox version last night and I just wanted to echo pretty much all the positive offline comments... this game is SO much fun... the balance between high speed blasting(damn what an awesome sense of speed), avoiding traffic AND trying to smash your opponents around? Absolutely glorius... my only "complaint" if you can call it that is that the AI does not seem to target each other. I've only been ganged up on once(attacked by two opponents at the same time) and I managed to do a Double Takedown with their candy asses. ;) Crash mode... awesome... Road Rage awesome... this game is 2, 3, 4 games in one... Remarkable.

This game is sweet as hell. Period.

Superbone

BeOnEdge said:
Sweet god, i swear this game has THE CLEAREST image quality i have ever seen in a home game. at 480p(xbox ofcourse), this game has even blown away the 1080i games i have seen. i think it has something to do with the framerate and the effects that are blended with the graphics like the particles and the blur effects. Like the intro scene/fly by of a crash junction...it looks so damn GOOD!!! almost CG clarity! same goes for when you crash! even flipping thru the air at highspeed, the framerate remains solid and nary a flicker of image quality. HOW!!!! how did they do it?

I agree. The game looks fantastic even on my 35" tube. Can't wait to play it my new TV I just ordered yesterday (Sony 60" HDTV LCD rear projection, KDF-60XS955) in 480p widescreen! :D

anyone else play the NFSU2 demo yet? Man, EA really did a disservice to that game by packing it in with bo3. I mean, the game (at least going by the demo) was crappy on its own, but after playing hours of Burnout, it makes it look like a shit stain by comparison. The graphics are horrible, the control sucks, the framerate chugs, and it feels like you are racing underwater.

Ramirez

Yea I've played with 3 Brits...

I knocked one out at the beginning of a race and he said "Oh right at the beginning of the race eh you bloody cunt!" :lol :lol

Ramirez said:
I knocked one out at the beginning of a race and he said "Oh right at the beginning of the race eh you bloody cunt!" :lol :lol

Nothing beats hearing that from 'NECKS. It's the best. :lol

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Rorschach said:
I thought you couldn't play with UK players, but I played with two and a Sweed last night.

Well...any excuse to hate on EA is fine, whether true or not. I have played many UK players and French players as well.

DarienA

Rorschach said:
I thought you couldn't play with UK players, but I played with two and a Sweed last night.

Notice how when corrects to misdirected EA hate are brought up they pretty much pass by with only 1 or 2 comments?

DarienA

My god that Indy car is fast as shit! I thought I was going to piss my pants the whole time!

RuGalz

Anyone knows how Road Rage works? I know you are divided into two team and Blue team is supposed to try to survive the race w/out being taken out. Every time a blue team member is taken out, he/she would get an taken out icon. But there seems to be a way to clear that icon. I have done it accidentally a couple times. I've tried taking out the person that took me out but that didn't seem to remove it. Any idea?

BeOnEdge

Banned
my one gripe about burnout3 and its been this was since the 1st game. at a blistering 60fps with superb camerawork, effect and graphics, WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THEY ANIMATE FLAGS BLOWING IN THE WIND PROPERLY!!!! american flags line the streets and they animate at like 10 frames a second!!!! WTF!!!

xsarien

daedsiluap
BeOnEdge said:
my one gripe about burnout3 and its been this was since the 1st game. at a blistering 60fps with superb camerawork, effect and graphics, WHY THE FUCK CAN'T THEY ANIMATE FLAGS BLOWING IN THE WIND PROPERLY!!!! american flags line the streets and they animate at like 10 frames a second!!!! WTF!!!

Probably because you should be concentrating on the car moving at 160mph, not the flags.

Top Bottom