• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DD (Steam/D2D/etc) gifting thread of equal global distribution

legend166

This might sounds incredibly hypocritical, since I've used the kindness of US GAFfers to get games from America much cheaper than I can in Australia, but it just seems dodgy to try and take advantage of that Russian price. Aren't prices there for a lot of video games really low to combat some pretty unique market conditions (almost ubiquitous piracy combined with low incomes)?

I don't know, I could be wrong, but it doesn't feel right.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
legend166 said:
This might sounds incredibly hypocritical, since I've used the kindness of US GAFfers to get games from America much cheaper than I can in Australia, but it just seems dodgy to try and take advantage of that Russian price. Aren't prices there for a lot of video games really low to combat some pretty unique market conditions (almost ubiquitous piracy combined with low incomes)?

I don't know, I could be wrong, but it doesn't feel right.

If the game didn't have the Aussie Tax slapped on it I'd probably agree with you. For as long as publishers are going to arbitrarily rip us off I'm happy to respond in kind. It goes without saying that the behaviour needs to be discouraged.

Edit: Delineated a little.

Shaneus

JaseC said:
If the game didn't have the Aussie Tax slapped on it I'd probably agree with you. As long as publishers are going to arbitrarily rip us off, then I'm happy to respond in kind.
Given they've helped us out before, would it be worth getting in touch with GOG if they could maybe do a deal for us again?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shaneus said:
Given they've helped us out before, would it be worth getting in touch with GOG if they could maybe do a deal for us again?

Scamco publish the game here and I highly doubt they'd budge. The game (Digital Premium Edition) is $70 even on CDP's own DD service.

IrishNinja

Shaneus said:

this happened? huh...when was it, and what were the details? that sounds pretty interesting on their part.

Shaneus

IrishNinja said:
this happened? huh...when was it, and what were the details? that sounds pretty interesting on their part.
They had to raise the price in AU on GOG for TW2 but before doing it, they made it so it was incredibly easy to bypass (could change your region w/ no IP check) and even if you chose not to, they gave you the difference in GOG credit. They really went out of their way for us... once reason I have such massive respect for CD Projekt.

Haha, dudes. Looks like Valve blocked my account for cheating with Witcher 2 (or maybe their system thought that I hacked), and now I can't buy any single purchase. Good fucking day!
What's the moral? Don't fuck with Valve, kids.

IrishNinja

whaaaat? that's awful, man. really sorry to hear that shit.

@ the GOG workaround: that's really awesome of them, great company.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The_Player said:
Haha, dudes. Looks like Valve blocked my account for cheating with Witcher 2 (or maybe their system thought that I hacked), and now I can't buy any single purchase. Good fucking day!
What's the moral? Don't fuck with Valve, kids.
What do you mean "cheating with Witcher 2"? Like, running cheats in the game or trying to buy it from another region or what?

Htown said:
What do you mean "cheating with Witcher 2"? Like, running cheats in the game or trying to buy it from another region or what?
Second. They've put a lock on my ability to purchase in case of fraud. And now I'm waitin answer from the Steam Support.

Shaneus

The_Player said:
What happened?
IrishNinja said:
@ the GOG workaround: that's really awesome of them, great company.
Yeah, really awesome. I'm at work so my google-fu is limited, but see if you can find the tweets/news bulletins they released regarding it. They're very unsubtle about how they tell people to get around it. Add onto that their efforts in general on GOG and you have one of my favourite devs/publishers around (even though I'm yet to play The Witcher 1 or 2).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The_Player said:
Second. They've put a lock on my ability to purchase in case of fraud. And now I'm waitin answer from the Steam Support.
Did you try to fake a Russian IP address while using your same credit card info or something?

Htown said:
Did you try to fake a Russian IP address while using your same credit card info or something?
No, I'm in Russia atm. Just tried to help one of the gafers using steam wallet: I gave my account to him, so he could add funds to it. As I said, their system probably thought that I was hacked and blocked the account.

Salsa

The_Player said:
No, I'm russian. Just tried to help one of the gafers using steam wallet: I gave my account to him, so he could add funds to it. As I said, their system probably thought that I was hacked and blocked the account.

.. what?

why didnt he just send you the money through paypal and then you gifted it to him?

SalsaShark said:
oh sorry

damn that's terrible :/

isnt there any service like it?
Don't know, TBH. Direct transaction between bank accounts, maybe. I'm in huge stress right now, I can't think about it.

upd: Well, looks like I can already use my credit card, but steam wallet still won't work:
There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.
WAITING

Salsa

The_Player said:
Don't know, TBH. Direct transaction between bank accounts, maybe. I'm in huge stress right now, I can't think about it.

upd: Well, looks like I can already use my credit card, but steam wallet still won't work:

WAITING

well phew, that sounds a lot better than i thought, i figured your account was done for D:

im sure it'll be fine

MNC

Someone with USD up to gifting Borderlands GOTY to a friend of mine? it's like 50% cheaper that way

His SteamID is luckie117. He'll take it from there.

filipe

If anyone needs any copies of any games, just send me a PM and I'm more than happy to help. Don't even reply to me in this topic, just send me the PM and we'll work out everything to get you the game you want.

I'll be up for helping anyone throughout the whole sale.

filipe said:
If anyone needs any copies of any games, just send me a PM and I'm more than happy to help. Don't even reply to me in this topic, just send me the PM and we'll work out everything to get you the game you want.

I'll be up for helping anyone throughout the whole sale.
I'm replying to you in this thread because it would be nice for all of us to know what country you are in.

kamspy

Man, I'm 100% Russian and can't even get anyone to gift it to me. I even found all my relatives phone numbers. They don't know what Steam is. :(

filipe

TheNamelessOne said:
I'm replying to you in this thread because it would be nice for all of us to know what country you are in.

You're right, and I should be clear about something else.

I am from Canada.

As well with payments, I unfortunately won't be working on trust. This means, promises of "I'll pay you when the money is transferred in a few days" will unfortunately be turned down. Although I am not saying Gaf users are untrustworthy, it is still the internet.

I can only help if you have the money ready to transfer. Either than that, sorry.

Thank you for contacting Steam Support. Our records indicate that your purchase was declined due to your current IP address differing from your billing information. We have removed the lock on your account - you will now be able to complete additional purchases.
Finally.

iNvid02

if you email steam and tell them your "travelling" and still want to be able to buy stuff and access your steam account from a different location they will remove the reigon lock on your account

i dont know how long this lasts for, but you'll be able to use a vpn and buy stuff without it flagging your account. just be sure not to turn off the vpn and revert back to your regular IP immediately after purchase

doesn't sound too hard, as most of steam-GAF just likes buying games and note even playing them lol

Top Bottom