• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

Yamauchi

Banned
I hate to say this, but did you guys really think you were going to get a DS Lite at launch by importing from a web retailer? This is the system that sold 600,000 in one week less than two months ago.

dyls

wonderfuldays said:
Lowest brightness:
p10007863nm.jpg

I didn't realize how much better the viewing angle is, that's amazing.

Can we see a little COM running on it?

I guess the question now is how quickly can Nintendo get a second shipment in (regardless of how small)?

Hopefully they have some restock availible for the weekend.

There could be lineups again next week especailly with the two new colors ... this is going to be insane.

sammy

i'm just as excited about the brighness as I am the nicer viewing angle ----- no both screens with show up with clarity, and no viewing angle gradient.

lancubap

Keyser Soze said:
the ds lite terrible
the ds lite is bad
the ds lite is awful

i do not need the ds lite
i do not want the ds lite
i do not desire the ds lite

oh look a cute puppy....

g460777_walkr.gif

Are you crazy or what ?

ziran

IGN's launch article:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/692/692939p1.html
...We noticed a wide demographic at the Bic Camera at which we'd lined up. In addition to a wide variety of people willing to wait a few hours in line, we noticed girls, elderly couples and businessmen making inquiries about the system's availability...
It's still amazing to me how universal an appeal the DS has in Japan.

Bravo Nintendo, Bravo! :)

the price gouging! it begins!

well at least Lik-Sang is offering the option to remain in queue and wait for a different price. So far they seem to be handling this situation the best. I have no problem waiting another month to get my DS-L. just a shame that Castlevania and Bleach are sitting on my desk unplayed. CoM looks ACE on the unit. assuming it is as import-friendly as previous Mana titles, i may pick it up.

sammy

I just realized that the wrist strap is on the top of the system, next to the DS slot ----- so even if you wanted to use the thumbstrap, it wouldn't reach (if you had it attached to your DS lite)

I guess Nintendo is really wanting to get away from the thumbstrap.... doesn't bother me, i never used the damn thing, once i used the stylus in MetroidHunters....

will the new/longer wriststrap even reach your hand on the DS lite?? The origional DS, the wristrap couldn't even fit arround my hand while i was playing.

kiryogi

Banned
Well NCSX doesn't have it yet. Here's what I just got from them this morning:

Hello ****, since we have not received the NDS Lite yet, please advise if
> you would prefer to have the available items shipped first:
>
> Seiken Densetsu DS
> Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
> Scratch Guard DS
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> NCS, Inc
> www.ncsx.com
> www.ncsxshop.com

D:

Xrenity

sammy said:
I just realized that the wrist strap is on the top of the system, next to the DS slot ----- so even if you wanted to use the thumbstrap, it wouldn't reach (if you had it attached to your DS lite)

I guess Nintendo is really wanting to get away from the thumbstrap.... doesn't bother me, i never used the damn thing, once i used the stylus in MetroidHunters....

will the new/longer wriststrap even reach your hand on the DS lite?? The origional DS, the wristrap couldn't even fit arround my hand while i was playing.
Lol, it's not supposed to be around your wrist/hand _O-
ds_embed006.jpg

sammy

Xrenity said:
Lol, it's not supposed to be around your wrist/hand _O-
ds_embed006.jpg

i always thought it was trying to double as both, and figured my hands were too large ---- I just use my PSP wriststrap though (i'm arround bumpy rides, and water)

lancubap

Keyser Soze said:
No but this stupid DS lite will make me...

There is no logical reason why I should want one but I do :S

Oh, yeah, not you: but all other people yes !!!

S P O N G:

“Today was a great day for Nintendo. People were rushing around in a state of fever, trying to get hold of those few DS Lites available,” commented Tokyo-based journalist Jonathan Ikeda. “I don't think Iwata is a prophet, but he was right - the spirit of the Famicom era is returning. For the first time in over a decade, Nintendo again has Japan under its control.”

That's what I hoped to heard since many many years !!! :D

kiryogi

Banned
Hmm what is NCSX doing D: They replied back with my request and said they'll get another update on DS lites early next week D: D:

B.K.

kiryogi said:
Hmm what is NCSX doing D: They replied back with my request and said they'll get another update on DS lites early next week D: D:

They just updated their site.

NDS Blight
Prices for the NDS Lite have dropped to US$236 ask in Hong Kong but even if we wanted some at that price, there's no supply available. As for Japan, there is NO SUPPLY at all from distributors at any price. It's a shameful situation but we'll update again once we have news tomorrow.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Pedigree Chum said:
P1000790.JPG

That is just incredible.

What brightness level is this (it would be INCREDIBLE if that level of Image Quality is obtained without level 4 brightness oplaying under the sun) ?

:D.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Jesus, after looking at the size of those lines, I'll bet Nintendo is kicking themselves for not being able to supply more.

milanbaros

Member?
It seems to me that maybe just for a few months and with a portable not a console, nintendo has returned. Doubt it will last long, but still brings back fond memories.

The screens are simply amazing, hope they hurry with releasing it in Europe (although I somehow see it coming that they release it in ~August :( ).

Cheebs

milanbaros said:
It seems to me that maybe just for a few months and with a portable not a console, nintendo has returned. Doubt it will last long, but still brings back fond memories.
DS domination will last a long time. Why would it suddenly stop owning sales charts? :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Cheebs said:
DS domination will last a long time. Why would it suddenly stop owning sales charts? :lol

I don't think he's talking about charts/sales/money (which is all some people seem to care about lately), but rather his personal enjoyment from Nintendo.

That being said I disagree with him as I can only see the DS getting better and better over the next 3-4 years until their next handheld arrives. I don't have any faith in their console side though. I expect trend of a niche system with a handful of great games to continue like it has the last two consoles.

Akia

As long as the DS Lite is properly stocked come NEW Super Mario Bros. launch all is good. Because we know all everybody is going to line up for a copy.

ant1532

Banned
ndslite-29.jpg

does anyone know what store that is with the fish for their logo? im just very curious, because at every console launch i see people lining up there and I never heard of it... Is it Asobit City?

also, why the hell is this not a sticky?

This is the e-mail I received from NCSX, touched on what they posted on their site.

Dear NCS Customer,

The NDS Lite was released in Japan last night. None of our suppliers in
Japan were able to stock units since Nintendo only shipped the NDS Lite to
chain stores such as Lawson and 7-11. Some of our suppliers who distribute
games to stores went to retail shops to try and buy some for us at the full
retail price but they were not available.

Due to the problematic supply situation, we will probably not receive any
units until next week. As of last night, the price in Hong Kong had dropped
from $297 to $236 but that was only for our quotation since none of the Hong
Kong suppliers have any units available for sale either.

NCS posted an update on Tuesday
http://www.ncsx.com/2006/022706/ncs0227u.htm

NCS will contact you again once the NDS Lite units are available for
shipping from Japan.

Regards,
NCS, Inc

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bebpo said:
That being said I disagree with him as I can only see the DS getting better and better over the next 3-4 years until their next handheld arrives. I don't have any faith in their console side though. I expect trend of a niche system with a handful of great games to continue like it has the last two consoles.
after seeing the success of the DS I really don't know what to expect anymore.

Calidor

ant1532 said:
ndslite-29.jpg

does anyone know what store that is with the fish for their logo? im just very curious, because at every console launch i see people lining up there and I never heard of it... Is it Asobit City?

also, why the hell is this not a sticky?

It says "Nakaura", i think :)

Monorojo

Banned
winston_pr said:
There were some questions on trends for DS game sales (which titles are going best today etc...) The below link to amazon.co.jp gives the topsales list for the past hour. No actual numbers, but it gives a reasonable indication anyways. (please ignore pre-orders...)

Top sales list past hour all platforms:
link

Valkyrie Profile is above every single NDS title 0_o

Guess this DS lite craze isnt going to effect PSP one bit.

Gald to see it honestly, we need 2 popular handhelds on the market in EVERY market.

Top Bottom