• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

Monorojo said:
Valkyrie Profile is above every single NDS title 0_o

Guess this DS lite craze isnt going to effect PSP one bit.

Gald to see it honestly, we need 2 popular handhelds on the market in EVERY market.

are we living in the same universe? :lol

vesuvious

Banned
Would anyone who was lucky enough to snag the DS Lite care to pop in a GBA game and see how it compares with the brightness of the GBA SP+ and Micro? GBA games on my elecric blue DS look great, except for the washed out look of the back light. I don't even notice a refresh rate problem through my DS like I do with my SP+. I am wondering if the DS Lite has a refresh rate problem similar to the SP+ where there is slight color trails and blurriness in GBA games? If the (GBA games) colors, brightness, and refresh rate are great on a DS lite I will never have to buy a GBA Micro and can sell my SP+.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
vesuvious said:
Would anyone who was lucky enough to snag the DS Lite care to pop in a GBA game and see how it compares with the brightness of the GBA SP+ and Micro?
There's a pic in this thread I think. It looks really good.

EDIT: N/M, I think those were Play-Yan comparisons.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that isn't an sp+ either, though i believe the sp+ screen is similar to the micro's. i'm considering ditching my ds and my sp+ for a ds lite, but first i want to get my hands on one and make sure it's easier to hold than a ds. i'll miss kirby's pinball land, tetris dx, and dk 94, but i suppose there's always gb player.

ant1532

Banned
i little off topic, but does anyone here read Kotaku daily? If you do please PM me asap telling me you do and i need to talk to you about sumtin.

Anyways, lik-sang hasnt replied to me email(where i told em i want to pay the extra 20 bucks to purchase it) yet besides the one telling me they got it and they will reply shortly... Has anyone got it yet? What does it say? This is gunna be weird cuz i already paid through paypal, i guess they'll have me just pay 20 more bucks through paypal somehow...

also, is the back of the dsl glossy too? i hope so

0e4425340783412db19bf6af46955a.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Is it Asobit City?

yes, it is - that's their mascot.

Someone from the NY office was in town who revealed themselves as a geek, so i took them to Aki last night.

People were still asking about the DS ! lol

And i did find TWO units!

In Liberty... second hand ... 41,000 yen...

(nope, i didn't buy one, i can wait)

Cheebs

Monorojo said:
Guess this DS lite craze isnt going to effect PSP one bit.

Gald to see it honestly, we need 2 popular handhelds on the market in EVERY market.
Uh...do you live in alternate universe where PSP is doing well in Japan? :lol :lol

You are looking at AMAZON sales, its like going of ebgames sales for USA when it is vastly different from the full NPD.

Kseutron

Cheebs said:
Uh...do you live in alternate universe where PSP is doing well in Japan? :lol :lol

You are looking at AMAZON sales, its like going of ebgames sales for USA when it is vastly different from the full NPD.

well PSP HARDWARE sales are certainly quite ok in Japan

Cheebs said:

The thing is...the PSP hardware IS doing well in Japan. Software not so much, but for a newcomer in the portable realm and facing the GBA+DS and @ a much higher price point, I'd say the PSP is doing just fine.

ant1532

Banned
DCharlie said:
yes, it is - that's their mascot.

Someone from the NY office was in town who revealed themselves as a geek, so i took them to Aki last night.

People were still asking about the DS ! lol

And i did find TWO units!

In Liberty... second hand ... 41,000 yen...

(nope, i didn't buy one, i can wait)

o ok, thanks a lot! ive always wondered what it was called. Anyways how is it? is it a nice shop?

dannie said:
yes it glossy

awesome, thanks a lot

Forgotten Ancient said:
The thing is...the PSP hardware IS doing well in Japan. Software not so much, but for a newcomer in the portable realm and facing the GBA+DS and @ a much higher price point, I'd say the PSP is doing just fine.

Depends how you define "well".

ant1532

Banned
Kotaku's holding a contest/ scavenger hunt for a free ds lite, im on the 8th part of 11 of it and im stuck does anyone know what any of this means? Ill help you through the first 8 if you do and its right. :)

Why do men chunder in Australia and what war torn country do we have a reporter embedded in?

wierd huh? im lost.

ant1532 said:
Kotaku's holding a contest/ scavenger hunt for a free ds lite, im on the 8th part of 11 of it and im stuck does anyone know what any of this means? Ill help you through the first 8 if you do and its right. :)

Why do men chunder in Australia and what war torn country do we have a reporter embedded in?

wierd huh? im lost.

Chunder is to vomit.
Embedded i would guess Iraq. The reporter who was killed and buried there?

ant1532

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Chunder is to vomit.
Embedded i would guess Iraq. The reporter who was killed and buried there?

yea lol i went to dictionary.com too, and I searched iraq but nothing in any of the stories... hmmm

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
neondriver said:
It _does_ sell well!
It's just that the DS sells totally insane!
I guess over 3 million sold in 15 months isn't good enough for some people when another handheld sells double that.

I preordered my version one day after the announcement and what happened today/yesterday? Right, nothing!
Please, I´d like to see more pics.

EDIT: Even more!! :D

neondriver said:
It _does_ sell well!
It's just that the DS sells totally insane!

So why don't we consider Xbox and Gamecube sales in Nort America "good" and say that PS2 sales totally insane? Simple: because it doesn't make sense.

Cheebs

Frankfurter said:
So why don't we consider Xbox and Gamecube sales in Nort America "good" and say that PS2 sales totally insane? Simple: because it doesn't make sense.
I think we can say PSP sales are "decent" in Japan but by far are MUCH less than Sony hoped for and is very minimal compared to DS but is not a bomb like Xbox/Xbox 360 is there.

i think that's really great to see pictures of older people buying videogames. it should be a goal of every company to try to get more women and older people into games. terrific for the japanese market and it must be possible in other countries too.

although judging from those photos of the new tomb raider game it looks like the western markets are still doing everything they can to push away female gamers.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ant1532 said:
holy smokes

h-103_49409_0302_DS_08.jpg.jpg

h-103_49400_top.jpg.jpg

h-103_49401_380moku.jpg.jpg

Senior citizens!!

h-103_49400_kaeta2.jpg.jpg

Girls!
h-103_49400_kaeta1.jpg.jpg

Baby! (old old but fits in with rest, and its in its hands)

h-103_49401_300.jpg.jpg
holy fuck even senior citizens are buying DS in Japan get this, senior citizens.. insane those pics are awesome because it show all type of people with DSes... babies, senior citizens, young people wow.

:lol talking about taking portable gaming out of the ghetto.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
holy fuck even senior citizens are buying DS in Japan get this, senior citizens.. insane those pics are awesome because it show all type of people with DSes... babies, senior citizens, young people wow.

who was the poster who said that the demographic data that Nintendo was presenting was a total lie?

Cheebs said:
I think we can say PSP sales are "decent" in Japan but by far are MUCH less than Sony hoped for and is very minimal compared to DS but is not a bomb like Xbox/Xbox 360 is there.

Yeah, that's about where aimed at :)

Error2k4 said:
:lol talking about taking portable gaming out of the ghetto.

:lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
I never want to see the words 'anecdotal evidence' used in reference to Nintendo on these boards again :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DCharlie said:
who was the poster who said that the demographic data that Nintendo was presenting was a total lie?
It had to be a lie, it's only coming true right now. :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
"Today was a great day for Nintendo. People were rushing around in a state of fever, trying to get hold of those few DS Lites available,” commented Tokyo-based journalist Jonathan Ikeda. “I don't think Iwata is a prophet, but he was right - the spirit of the Famicom era is returning. For the first time in over a decade, Nintendo again has Japan under its control.”

That quote kinda sent a chill through my spine (the good kind). I thought I was past that phase of Nintendo fandom. Guess not :)

Anyway, this thread is absolute awesomeness. It's like 1988 in here, or something.

I can't believe how well their "we want to expand our core audience beyond just hardcore gamers" mantra has worked. Bodes well for Revolution.

Nintendo is always so full of surprises.

ibu

I soooo can't wait for my white DS Lite to come... but I know I wont get one for over a month maybe two at this rate. Oh the wait is painful... and GRAW still aint out aaaaaaaah!!!

Frankfurter said:

I don't think anyone would say Xbox sales in the USA are bad. Actually, I'd consider them good and quite surprising considering they also were a rookie last generation.

The Gamecube, on the other hand, was an unadulterated failure in the US and Japan. Nintendo managed to lose market share a third generation in a row and sold significantly less than the genereally accepted as disappointing Nintendo 64. Nintendo watered down their most of their flagship titles, excessively whored out their IPs to the point of saturation, had an uninspired launch, offered a visually odd system with an equally odd controller, turned a blind eye to online gaming, and seemingly seceded from competing at a comparable level with its two rivals.

The Gamecube was a failure. It did not sell well. It had the fewest games, the fewest surprised, and the fewest exclusives. Other than a few hand-me-downs (FF:CC and MGS:TTS) it's lineup was almost embarassing held against Sony's or Microsoft's.

I love my Gamecube...but I'm not oblivious to the fact that I'm in the minority of gamers. This is nothing like the PSP in Japan. Gamecube is #1 nowhere.

Forgotten Ancient said:

IIRC, DS sells at almost the same price as PSP in Japan.

Forgotten Ancient said:
I don't think anyone would say Xbox sales in the USA are bad. Actually, I'd consider them good and quite surprising considering they also were a rookie last generation.
I hate that point. Nintendo was a rookie with the NES. Sony was a rookie with the PS1. Then you go on to talk about the N64's sales as generally considered disappointing, when it sold something like 50% better than Xbox.

Beezy

JoshuaJSlone said:
I hate that point. Nintendo was a rookie with the NES. Sony was a rookie with the PS1. Then you go on to talk about the N64's sales as generally considered disappointing, when it sold something like 50% better than Xbox.

I never thought about Xbox sales that way...

Bebpo

Banned
Chris Michael said:
IIRC, DS sells at almost the same price as PSP in Japan.

$150 vs. $250?

It's $170 vs. $200 with the DSL vs. Standalone PSP. But I was under the impression they only really sell the value pack at $250 and gigapack at $300 these days.

BTW, I'd advise anyone who doesn't currently own a DS, or those of you who have misplaced your thumb strap to order a replacement. Apparently Metroid Prime Hunters controls much better with it, than with the original stylus. No word on how it works with the new and improved stylus though.

It's $5.95 Shipped.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I always preferred the stylus over the thumbstrap (Mario, Metroid demo, whatever). But it does make a good WRISTstrap for when you're playing in a crowded public space (such as the subway) and you're worried about thieves!

Hell, I ordered a couple of spares and attached them to my GBA SP v2 and GBm!

Mejilan said:
I always preferred the stylus over the thumbstrap (Mario, Metroid demo, whatever). But it does make a good WRISTstrap for when you're playing in a crowded public space (such as the subway) and you're worried about thieves!

Hell, I ordered a couple of spares and attached them to my GBA SP v2 and GBm!

The DS Lite comes with a wrist strap, just no thumb thingy. :(

Cheebs

Metroid controls much easier with stylus over thumb strap and thumb strap scratches up the screen so I don't mind. I suspect Nintendo took it out due to complaints about it scratching up screens.

Cheebs said:
Metroid controls much easier with stylus over thumb strap and thumb strap scratches up the screen so I don't mind. I suspect Nintendo took it out due to complaints about it scratching up screens.

Does it scratch through the screen protector as well?
I'm just reiterating what someone from either 1-UP or IGN claimed, BTW.

neptunes

Cheebs said:
that's preference, I can play much better with the thumbstrap.

Top Bottom