• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

cvxfreak

I can't believe Nintendo still went with the launch. While it's nice to get PR like this, it's very disappointing that Nintendo is having bad supply problems even with the original DS model. I hope they get this sorted out quick.

Raw64life

cvxfreak said:
I can't believe Nintendo still went with the launch. While it's nice to get PR like this, it's very disappointing that Nintendo is having bad supply problems even with the original DS model. I hope they get this sorted out quick.

Yea, especially since the original DS was dominating the sales charts all by itself. There was really no reason for them to release the DS lite this early.

cvxfreak

Raw64life said:
Yea, especially since the original DS was dominating the sales charts all by itself. There was really no reason for them to release the DS lite this early.

I think the DS lite should have been released in North America first! I'm not saying that because I live there, but because the demand in Japan was astronomical while it was leveled in the US. The DS lite could have given the DS an early advantage against the PSP in 2006.

elostyle said:
50k sales each week is still a ton if it keeps up like that all in all.

50k a week is not even close to "a ton" of ds sales, relatively speaking. they could be doing 400k weeks all this month if supply was there.

cvxfreak said:
I think the DS lite should have been released in North America first! I'm not saying that because I live there, but because the demand in Japan was astronomical while it was leveled in the US. The DS lite could have given the DS an early advantage against the PSP in 2006.

IU dont know about that. i feel like that could be taken as a slap in the face for their number one audience. I agree DS Lite needs to see US release ASAP to escape the "childs toy" image, but i wouldnt play with the rebirth of nintendo in Japan especially when they are trying to sell a console tot he same people in a few months.

mj1108

Media Create charts for the next couple of months:

DSL: Every single one produced
DS: Every single one produced
PSP
PS2
GCN
GBA
XBox

Jonnyram

PezRadar said:
heres my theory.. The US has had the old DS the longest, so the US should get the new DS the earliest :p.
Well I think you should concentrate on reality for a second - you're not gonna be getting any DSs unless Nintendo can improve their production rate ;)

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Well I think you should concentrate on reality for a second - you're not gonna be getting any DSs unless Nintendo can improve their production rate ;)

I'm almost afraid to total DS and DSlite sales together on GSc's sales coverage. :lol

ant1532 said:
does anyone know what it says with all those dates at the end in this link?

(its in japanese)
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/owabi/index.html

It says that they will delay the release of a bunch of "Touch generation" games as they know they are most often bought together with hardware, and thus they don't want to aggrivate the already desperate situation.

The titles are (in order):

Kanji "As is" DS Simple Dictionary
Point your finger Travel language notebook Thai, China, Korea, America, Germany

Each delayed about 3 weeks it seems. This should in turn give agood indication of WHEN Nintendo themselves believe shortages will be resolved on a material scale.

cvxfreak

Yeah, I think delaying those is a good plan... unless you're a present DS owner whose vacation was around the time of the original release dates. D=

Dunno if this has already been posted, but looks pretty cool - control your PC with your DS:

108088940_86549a4f27.jpg

http://japanese.engadget.com/2006/03/06/ds-pc/

Only 60k? Bloody hell, no wonder us importers are having a hell of a time. Think I'll just go ahead and cancel my order and wait for the Euro release, although that's surely put on hold until demand is met in Japan.

marvelharvey said:
Oh really? Then it's more likely that my over enthusiastic eyes read the wrong date.

Are you gonna go out on the 11th and wait Marvel? I have a friend back home who wants a DSL for her boyfriend's birthday and an all nighter on friday wouldn't be too bad. We could have a CoM party.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Are you gonna go out on the 11th and wait Marvel? I have a friend back home who wants a DSL for her boyfriend's birthday and an all nighter on friday wouldn't be too bad. We could have a CoM party.

Yes, I'll be out on the 10th/11th, lets charge up our DS batteries and watch the sun come up, is Patrick up for a CoM party too?

Mr. Smith said:
the price madness beginns now!!!

360$ for a brand new DSL, that is totally insane.

source

begins might not be thr right term... although the news here is that the DS fanboy blog was ont he front page for AOL today, which you get when you log on to AIM. I almost made a separate post about this but decided against it. DS will be far more visable with this redesign. :)

polg

after the weekend... is ~80K still the rumoured # for this launch?
are more DS' beeing re-stocked this week?
what's the status with the new colors?
why am I making so many questions?

RaidenZR

Does anyone have any idea when restocks will begin? Have they already? Or are they just going to coincide with the release of the new colors?

The lack of information is disturbing, especially considering it's been a week now. What he hell Nintendo?

sammy

I got this from Play-Asia about the pending charge on my credit card:

“As a matter of fact, Play-Asia.com does only charge credit cards on
shipping date.

However, in order to ensure smooth operation, an operation called
'authorize' is done on your credit card. If your order is due to be
shipped, the authorisation amount is the full order amount, if the order
is a preorder/backorder, the authorisation amount will be US$1

Usually, most customers do not see those authorisations, only very few
banks provide this info. It may show as a deduction on the credit card
balance, but please understand we have not made any charge to your card.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

my authorization amount was the full charge (so I'm assuming it was prepairing to ship?), but since then it hasn't shown back up on my bank information ------- what's the deal??

ant1532

Banned
winston_pr said:
It says that they will delay the release of a bunch of "Touch generation" games as they know they are most often bought together with hardware, and thus they don't want to aggrivate the already desperate situation.

The titles are (in order):

Kanji "As is" DS Simple Dictionary
Point your finger Travel language notebook Thai, China, Korea, America, Germany

Each delayed about 3 weeks it seems. This should in turn give agood indication of WHEN Nintendo themselves believe shortages will be resolved on a material scale.

thanks a lot, missed your post.

polg

sammy said:
I got this from Play-Asia about the pending charge on my credit card:

my authorization amount was the full charge (so I'm assuming it was prepairing to ship?), but since then it hasn't shown back up on my bank information ------- what's the deal??

I've had the same problem with Play-Asia last year. The credit gets sorted in a couple of weeks.

my local import store is yelling at ncsx right now since there a big vendor through them and actually order pretty much everything from them even domestic games. :lol

Jonnyram

E-digi had a VIP pre-order for mailing list members last night for the blue models. They had 5 of each colour.

21:59:59 "You cannot buy this item until 10pm"
22:00:00 "Script not found"
22:00:01 "Script not found"
22:00:02 "This item is now sold out"

WTF!?

Jonnyram said:
E-digi had a VIP pre-order for mailing list members last night for the blue models. They had 5 of each colour.

WTF!?

:lol

Kai

LikSang hasnt shipped my damn system yet =(... I ordered it the day the DS Lite when on sale from Lik-Sang... WTF.

sammy

polg said:
I've had the same problem with Play-Asia last year. The credit gets sorted in a couple of weeks.

thanks dude ---- good to know ..... couple weeks though : [ oh well, at least I'm in line pretty early i guess.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Concerning those still interested in getting a DS Lite (of the Crystal White variety):

After getting tired of waiting for Play-Asia.com to ship my DS Lite (or even update on its situation), I decided to place an order on a much less recognized site known as BuyGame2.com. I ordered a Crystal White DS Lite with Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana from them on Monday and it shipped today (I have a tracking number) and it should get to me within a few days. So, if you're tired of the bullshit with other more recognized Web sites you should check them out. They've upped the standard price to $260 not including shipping (although you get a free pouch and screen filter), but if you just cannot wait this is a good alternative.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Jonnyram said:

WTF!?

:lol :lol :lol

Jonnyram said:

WTF!?

:lol :lol

Seriously, Nintendo needs to produce a lot more of the DS Lite.

Anything when new stock of the White DSL will arrive?

Tamashii Sensei said:
You may want to read my post if you're interested in buying a Crystal White DS Lite...
Yeah, I got a couple of sites other than the most populars that I might use. It seems to be the most clever move for now

Tamashii Sensei said:
You may want to read my post if you're interested in buying a Crystal White DS Lite...

I was this close to ordering, but then it hit me that I'm paying $300 for a product that probably costs Nintendo less than $100 to manufacture. :lol Can't bring myself to do it... I'll hold out just a little while longer.

E-Nature

Does anyone who already has a DS LITE know whether the new model does support WPA keys (for online play)? The old model just has WEP which is kind of annoying :-(

ant1532

Banned
E-Nature said:
Does anyone who already has a DS LITE know whether the new model does support WPA keys (for online play)? The old model just has WEP which is kind of annoying :-(

dont have system yet, but they did announce its the same firmware, so no differences there.

sammy

Tamashii Sensei said:
Concerning those still interested in getting a DS Lite (of the Crystal White variety):

After getting tired of waiting for Play-Asia.com to ship my DS Lite (or even update on its situation), I decided to place an order on a much less recognized site known as BuyGame2.com. I ordered a Crystal White DS Lite with Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana from them on Monday and it shipped today (I have a tracking number) and it should get to me within a few days. So, if you're tired of the bullshit with other more recognized Web sites you should check them out. They've upped the standard price to $260 not including shipping (although you get a free pouch and screen filter), but if you just cannot wait this is a good alternative.

how has this gone for you? you got it in yet?

I gave them a look, and sent an order in to see if they can send it out --- haven't sent a payment method, but it is a good alternative.

still crazy that they seem to have plenty (it still says it ships out within 24 hours)

Top Bottom