• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

cvxfreak

At this point I think the DS has a good chance of becoming the best selling Japanese platform of all time, surpassing the Famicom and PSone.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i didnt want to make a new thread aobut it so i'll stick it in here

the newest EGM says that DS lite will be coming to the U.S in may and while the price isn't specified, they said they heard that the Lite may sell for $130

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Didn't get one today; the line outside the store I went to had about 30 people ahead of me, but since most of them were families, I only missed out by about three people. I got there at 8am; if I had come an hour earlier, I'm sure I would have gotten a DS Lite, but oh well...I can wait.

Went to a Geo after and was told if I wanted a DS Lite I could put my name down for one...in MAY. Nintendo, get your shit straight.

Rareside scored one though

mj1108

Wario64 said:

the newest EGM says that DS lite will be coming to the U.S in may and while the price isn't specified, they said they heard that the Lite may sell for $130

At this rate, I don't see that happening until Nintendo gets their production straightened out.

Trurl

Banned
Wario64 said:

That would be awesome if true. I've assumed that the DS lite will sell for $150 and drop to $130 after the original DS is retired, at that rate it would take forever for the DS to reach the sub $100 pricepoint.

Oh god this is so damn insane...THEY NEED TO SHIP MORE :|. Importers must be smacking their heads against the wall everytime they see those Japanese launch lines...just means you guys ain't seeing a DS-lite for another month :(

Trurl

Banned
I'm sure that the answer is somewher in the this thread but it's 18 pages long so I don't feel like searching.

How many DSLs have been shipped? Would there be shortages even without insane demand? I'm not real sure what sane demand would be but oh well.

Trurl said:
I'm sure that the answer is somewher in the this thread but it's 18 pages long so I don't feel like searching.

How many DSLs have been shipped? Would there be shortages even without insane demand? I'm not real sure what sane demand would be but oh well.

according to mediacreate last week about 62k if i remember correctly. the rummor was 82k about a day before launch. i have been unable to obtain a number or an estimate for this weeks shipment :(

Gamestop now has DS Lite Accessories on Pre-Release SKU's in there database for a May release..

At the same time, Nintendo is having yet another DS Bundle come out next month (with mario kart again)

wtf? =[

cvxfreak

PezRadar said:
Gamestop now has DS Lite Accessories on Pre-Release SKU's in there database for a May release..

At the same time, Nintendo is having yet another DS Bundle come out next month (with mario kart again)

wtf? =[

Ah, Nintendo realized the error of their ways by discontinuing that bundle.

PezRadar said:

wtf? =[
im not seeing the bundle... link? im buying my brother an original ds for his bday :)

meltpotato said:
im not seeing the bundle... link? im buying my brother an original ds for his bday :)

Its not on the site yet, just in the computers at the actual stores.

BTW: I dont think its the red one.. its probably gonna be like the animal crossing bundle

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
PezRadar said:

wtf? =[

i thought it wasn't a bundle? just some mario themed case for the nds

Monk

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Needless to say, I was playing my PSP in the queue, and I'm pretty pissed off how crap the port of Valkyrie Profile is too... what a depressing morning :(

I...I... feel like crying. :(

Juice

What's funny is that over the summer in kansai, demand for the DS didn't seem all that strong (sales show that). I mean, I'd see a kid with Nintendogs now and then, but the DS always had ample, ample stock at Yodobashi-Umeda.

Seeing those pictures now is just a mind-fuck. Japanese rallying behind whatever breaks ahead as the most popular entry via their conditioned herd instinct FTW.

I hate when Yamauchi is right... rise to heaven it is, then.

Juice said:
What's funny is that over the summer in kansai, demand for the DS didn't seem all that strong (sales show that). I mean, I'd see a kid with Nintendogs now and then, but the DS always had ample, ample stock at Yodobashi-Umeda.

Seeing those pictures now is just a mind-fuck. Japanese rallying behind whatever breaks ahead as the most popular entry via their conditioned herd instinct FTW.

I hate when Yamauchi is right... rise to heaven it is, then.

Nintendogs got things going, but it's when Brian Training came out last May that the system went into another gear. Then Nintendo had a monsterous year end holiday rush.

This is the most insane thing I've ever seen for game hardware. Yes ... even beyond the 360 lineups here in North America.

What's the "roof" on this? Could Nintendo sell 1 million DSLs ... 2 million DSLs in a month if they could actually supply it? This is scary.

mj1108

soundwave05 said:
This is the most insane thing I've ever seen for game hardware. Yes ... even beyond the 360 lineups here in North America.

What's the "roof" on this? Could Nintendo sell 1 million DSLs ... 2 million DSLs in a month if they could actually supply it? This is scary.

The way it seems to be going over there, they are selling them faster than they can make them which makes the whole situation abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous.

We're supposed to see these kinds of lines for new hardware.....not a piece of hardware that is redesigned and has a couple new colors -- and have the people in line playing with the current (old) version of the DS while waiting to buy the new one.

Insane. Absolutely insane.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
PezRadar said:
Im not sure how to describe the DS Lite lines.. Its just amazing..

How long were previous consoles like Gamecube, and PS2? Similar?

This has to be much worse than the PS2's launch in Japan, which was pretty major.

Even if you make the comparison, though, it isn't direct as the PS2 was a new console and the DS Lite is a mere redesign. It's still mindblowingly unbelievable any way you measure it, though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
soundwave05 said:

I don't remember ANYTHING like this ever happening before.

You have somewhere between 1 and 4 thousand people lining up for DSLs at various stores in Osaka and Tokyo, and then you have hundreds lining up at smaller stores.

It is absolute insanity, and I don't think any of the gameboys, the Famicom, PS, or PS2 did anything like this.

Juice

mj1108 said:
The way it seems to be going over there, they are selling them faster than they can make them which makes the whole situation abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous.

We're supposed to see these kinds of lines for new hardware.....not a piece of hardware that is redesigned and has a couple new colors -- and have the people in line playing with the current (old) version of the DS while waiting to buy the new one.

Insane. Absolutely insane.

Well, this is also an unusual redesign. It takes place only 14 months after the console's initial introduction and its redesign is pretty much purely aesthetic, but a HUGE leap.

But yeah....... holy fucking fuck.

(just saw one of those PSP dust bunny ads about it being like carpet you can look at outside or some shit... where the fuck did sony go wrong?))

h-103_49820_shinn.jpg.jpg

Hiroshi_Yamauchi.jpg

Albert42299.jpg

Did you see that look? Ooooh ... Mr. Yamauchi indicating that he can't believe it!

(Someone photoshop Yamauchi's head onto Michael Jordan's shrugging pose from the '92 Finals please)

:lol

oh damn. who was it that thought third parties were gonna treat the PSP with as much respect as the DS? i'm sure capcom has seen these lines too.

gjb-sensei

Juice said:
(just saw one of those PSP dust bunny ads about it being like carpet you can look at outside or some shit... where the fuck did sony go wrong?))

Marketing, library of games, not knowing what to market the PSP as (is it a gaming handheld that can also play movies, etc. or vice versa (that also falls under marketing)) come to mind.

Sony really didn't do much wrong.

They just got blindsighted by Nintendo ... viciously.

The one thing Sony I think can be faulted for is their software library for the PSP in Japan has not kept pace with the DS at all.

It's Monster Hunter selling, and then you have like one new PSP game that might get into the top ten and fall waaaay off the next week.

I thought TalkMan and Winning Eleven would be much bigger sellers for them.

gjb-sensei

shuri said:
I really cant believe the insanity of it all.

To think how far we've come regarding the DS... when it was originally announced, so many people were so set on it being the second coming of the Virtual Boy, and now, there is a chance that in the end, it could become the best selling piece of video game hardware of all-time.

Nintendo is invincible in the handheld arena; that's all that needs to be said. I may come off as a fanboy, but it's the truth. They own handheld gaming and not even Sony with their PlayStation brand can knock them off of the top of the mountain.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It would be interesting to see how the press around the world responds to this. Most likely, they'll ignore it, but there's a chance, if this ridiculousness continues or becomes more ridiculous, that it'll get some coverage.

sammy

....... good lord ......

I mean, go Nintendo ---- but damn, don't fuck your audience like some other companies we know of..... should've held back a few weeks to get the #'s manufactured, it wasn't as if you were having a hard time cranking the old model :lol

... I'm confused how importers work? Do they have people camped out, or do they get their own supply??

Juice

sammy said:
... I'm confused how importers work? Do they have people camped out, or do they get their own supply??

They actually build their own units.

No, better yet, they tell Nintendo to give them some directly.

Those in the know will realize the latter is even more outlandish.

sammy

Juice said:
They actually build their own units.

No, better yet, they tell Nintendo to give them some directly.

Those in the know will realize the latter is even more outlandish.

it's late, and i can't tell if you're bein' an ass ---- really now, I know folks that preordered on the minute the damn thing was announced (and i was pretty early on the uptake too) -- yet nothing, I'm just wondering how importers go about getting their supply - something I've never even wondered about.

Juice

sammy said:
it's late, and i can't tell if you're bein' an ass ---- really now, I know folks that preordered on the minute the damn thing was announced (and i was pretty early on the uptake too) -- yet nothing, I'm just wondering how importers go about getting their supply - something I've never even wondered about.

In a case where demand is like this. Importers don't get theirs. They'll grab as many as they can, but it'll be in the tens of units.

sammy said:

Importers like Lik-Sang etc go through like a 3rd party supplier for units either in HKong or in Japan itself. They usually put a down payment for a reservation of so many units, but when supply is low the places then take the opportunity to abuse the "We can change prices when we want too" on the import sites thus creating something called "Price Gouging"

Import sites cant really stop this from really occuring until supply meets demand.

bummyhead

Is it so hard to admit that perhaps Nintendo was just the one that "went right"?

Top Bottom