• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

Smiles and Cries said:
tell us how much you paid so we can laugh and mock you.

anyway I hate you... unless you are shipping it to me :p

get in line--me, myself, and i have been on my back about buying it for the past couple of hours. i've been trying to console myself that it wasn't that bad since i'm planning to sell my old ds and some games to make up for some of the cost.

whatdidyousay said:
get in line--me, myself, and i have been on my back about buying it for the past couple of hours. i've been trying to console myself that it wasn't that bad since i'm planning to sell my old ds and some games to make up for some of the cost.

answer the question! Give us your price you paid :p

polg

tanasten said:
This post should exist for ever. It's amazing how Nintendo managed to succes the DS.

DS it's the begining of a new era of gaming, I'm happy to be there.

I said it last week... this should have been stickied...

Juice

The post that all of the DS haters wish would be a rational thing to think:

All of these shortages only serve to convince me that Nintendo doesn't have what it takes to be a hardware maker, and should become a third party instead.

The DS Lite being in such short supply is near proof of this.

Archie said:
lol, who posted that? Or are you giving an example?

Its just really what goes through the mind of people who are all like "I own the system, but teh innovation isnt real and nintendo is teh weaksauce, but I own the system so I can make outlandish statements as such"

;I

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Probationsmack said:
Its just really what goes through the mind of people who are all like "I own the system, but teh innovation isnt real and nintendo is teh weaksauce, but I own the system so I can make outlandish statements as such"

;I
Heian-kyo is that you????

Juice

Probationsmack said:

;I

No, I love the DS and nearly everything about it (though I would've paid an extra $150 for better graphical horsepower, I realize it would've been less successful and less well supported).

I was just wondering what the Kachings and the Manabytes and the Drohnes would say to try to twist this into a "Nintendo should go third party or die" situation.

cvxfreak

Juice said:
No, I love the DS and nearly everything about it (though I would've paid an extra $150 for better graphical horsepower, I realize it would've been less successful and less well supported).

I was just wondering what the Kachings and the Manabytes and the Drohnes would say to try to twist this into a "Nintendo should go third party or die" situation.

:lol :lol

Juice said:

if you feel that way then you should relly just pick up a PSP. it has some great games and great graphics and is more expensive like you are saying..

personally im glad nintendo kept the DS cheap.. because i am pretty poor and it's all i can afford to pay.
i want a PSP very badly but i cant afford the money it costs.. so i dont think just making the cost out of reach for some people is the right solution.

Juice

metropolis said:
if you feel that way then you should relly just pick up a PSP. it has some great games and great graphics and is more expensive like you are saying..

personally im glad nintendo kept the DS cheap.. because i am pretty poor and it's all i can afford to pay.
i want a PSP very badly but i cant afford the money it costs.. so i dont think just making the cost out of reach for some people is the right solution.

I have a PSP, and I love everything about it except for the games. And while I love its other functionalities, not one of them is either useful or appealing in my own daily life. (At first the ergonomics gave me all sorts of cramps, but GTA:LCS got me used to it.)

But since I've finished that game (and for months and months before getting it), I've had absolutely nothing to play that's even remotely compelling. The other functions don't really interest me, as I've got a 12" laptop to play movies in the rare instances I'd be able to watch them portably. And I already have two iPods (4G, Nano), so it's worthless as a music player in comparison.

PSP was handy for throwing movies on it whilst riding the train in Japan (45 minute commute), but since returning to the states for Christmas I've power it on once.

That's why I included the parenthetical statement that I did. The PSP is the Game Gear of its day. It's too expensive for consumers to adopt en masse, it's too expensive to create games for, and its adoption rate isn't enough to convince publishers to invest in games really tailored for it. For that reason, keeping the hardware nerfed has been necessary for the portable market and a big part of why the DS is successful.

PezRadar said:
answer the question! Give us your price you paid :p

okay, okay! shipping included, i paid a little over $220. the guy has excellent feedback, he has the white ds lite in stock, and it's shipping from the u.s., so i took the plunge.

on a side note, one of my local import stores got 1 ice blue ds lite yesterday morning--before it was even out in japan--and they were selling the damn thing for $400!! WTF?!?!?!

oh, on a side-side note, anyone want to buy a copy of bleach ds? i'm having a hard time selling it, but it's in excellent condition...

Trurl

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
okay, okay! shipping included, i paid a little over $220. the guy has excellent feedback, he has the white ds lite in stock, and it's shipping from the u.s., so i took the plunge.

on a side note, one of my local import stores got 1 ice blue ds lite yesterday morning--before it was even out in japan--and they were selling the damn thing for $400!! WTF?!?!?!

oh, on a side-side note, anyone want to buy a copy of bleach ds? i'm having a hard time selling it, but it's in excellent condition...
$220 doesn't sound so bad when I was thinking half the GDP of the United States.

whatdidyousay said:

220 with shipping included is an unbelievable deal.. (i think)

Juice said:

Oh, i wasnt talking about you. I was referring to the same people you were.

dannie

763978K79gN.JPG

763976X3SUF.jpg
7639773K013.JPG

763979j2t11.JPG

DSL playing AC at "lowest level" brightness in room~~

video here~[lowest level brightness too]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx1HBrZhOAw

those screenshots of animal crossing on the ds lite are SICK. thanks for posting those.

yeah, i got a good deal i guess, but i won't feel good about it until i get the damn thing in my hands and powered up.

you know, i have both the ds and the psp, and i do like both a lot but for different reasons:

the psp's extra horsepower and big screen offer a superlative ridge racer experience (i get a big, dumb smile on my face whenever i play ridge racer on the psp), and despite the overwhelming amount of ports and crappy psp games, there are definitely some stellar, worth-your-money psp games. i'd love to sell my psp for extra cash, but i can't bear the thought of being without rr, lumines, and hotshots golf. when there's substance behind the style, the psp is really capable of giving you a fantastic gaming experience and wow-ing you...

the ds, on the other hand, doesn't have the best graphics, but i love it for other reasons--the battery life, the lack of loading screens, the durability, etc. there's a lack of style, but again, when there's substance there, it really doesn't matter if the screen is smaller or the graphics aren't as good as the psp, because the ds can really 'wow' you because it really does come down to what the games are like.

Juice

Damn! The DSL's brightness makes games with shitty graphics look better!

I suddenly want to play RE because of that last screen.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ugh. Are any other folks who do not yet own a DSL but intend to as soon as its released in their territories having a hard time booting up their original DS systems??

empanada

The screen brightness really is awesome. If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed (wrong) that those were photoshoped onto the DSlite pics.

Juice

Mejilan said:
Ugh. Are any other folks who do not yet own a DSL but intend to as soon as its released in their territories having a hard time booting up their original DS systems??

Actually, I haven't played my DS in over a week. Maybe that's why.

Oh wait, no. It's because I resubscribed to WoW last week.

OOOPSY!

Juice

Oh, and JESUS. White DSL + White PSP FTW

DSC00070.jpg

Those look like complimentary members of the same toolbox. You could take those two anywhere and only be half the nerd you'd be for carrying just one.

mj1108

empanada said:
The screen brightness really is awesome. If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed (wrong) that those were photoshoped onto the DSlite pics.

That's how every single shot of the screens being used looks like: as though someone has photoshopped those screens onto the system. A real compliment to the system and the screens.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
with 2D games in particular, its so crisp and clean that it looks like someones someones cut out a magazine or picture and stuck it on. Thanks for the pics guys, princess peach is probably my fave game showcased on the syste so far :lol the pink looks so pretty against the white...and the colours!

Swordian

Mejilan said:

Yes. I've decided not to play any more DS until I get a Lite. Luckily, I just got a PSP last night in time for Megaman goodness while I wait.

dyls

Khalid-S said:
I got the DSL today ^_^ ,, here is some pictures .

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

Unreal. It should just be called the Nintendo PS, for PhotoShop. Because every one of those shots look like the screens have been superimposed. Like magazine ads.

I can't believe these home-made digital camera pictures of screens are far better than anything we've gotten direct-capture from Nintendo. Once they start using these in TV ads, there truly will be a whole new market for the DS in the west.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Lyte Edge said:
May.

I want one NOW. Stupid shortages.

You honestly expect the DS Lite to be released in the U.S. in May? They're having trouble satisfying half of the demand for one country... there's no chance they'll be able to satisfy two at the same time at the moment. The wisest move Nintendo could and should do is delay the U.S. launch several months until they've got enough to cover the Japanese scene, THEN drop the system in the U.S.

Tamashii Sensei said:
You honestly expect the DS Lite to be released in the U.S. in May? They're having trouble satisfying half of the demand for one country... there's no chance they'll be able to satisfy two at the same time at the moment. The wisest move Nintendo could and should do is delay the U.S. launch several months until they've got enough to cover the Japanese scene, THEN drop the system in the U.S.

This is true ... but the DS isn't exactly cutting edge tech either ... once they get over the hiccups they're currently having, Nintendo will probably be pumping them out at massive quantities.

Still I guess I could see the US launch delayed to June (argh!).

Xrenity

Khalid-S said:
I got the DSL today ^_^ ,, here is some pictures .

DSC00091.jpg
WOW.

It looks like it's printed on the screens :eek: Does it look like that in real life? :O

Damn you Nintendo, PRODUCE THESE THINGS LIKE CRAZY!

dannie

Xrenity said:
WOW.

It looks like it's printed on the screens :eek: Does it look like that in real life? :O

Damn you Nintendo, PRODUCE THESE THINGS LIKE CRAZY!
look even better in real life......feel like VGA ~

Kroole

cvxfreak said:
It would be funny if Japanese supplies were limited due to the impending US release. Which is a possibility.

I certainly hope so. In fact I don't really see the reason why Nintendo introduced the Lite in Japan and not in the US first.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Kroole said:
I certainly hope so. In fact I don't really see the reason why Nintendo introduced the Lite in Japan and not in the US first.

Because the DS is in incredibly high demand in Japan and has been completely sold out for months?

Kroole

Lyte Edge said:
Because the DS is in incredibly high demand in Japan and has been completely sold out for months?

Right. And that demand can be filled with the regular DS. They don't need the lite as they don't need a boost in hardware right now to beat the PSP. I know that they are using the DS lite to help ease the shortage but it's IMO quite short-sighted. The NA market is more in need of a revision than the Japanese one.

ethelred

Kroole said:

First, I agree completely with you that there is a much, much greater need for the system in the North American market. The reason they didn't introduce it in America right away, however, is because for its launch to be really truly successful, it needs a hyped game to go with it. And I guess they felt that the biggest game they could possibly launch it with was not Tetris, not Metroid, but Mario. It's hard to argue with that.

Jonnyram

Lyte Edge said:
Anyone know yet?
Yep, there's some more whites coming this week, but by the looks of it, it might just be the same number as the launch shipment :(
edigi only had 5 for sale anyway.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Yep, there's some more whites coming this week, but by the looks of it, it might just be the same number as the launch shipment :(
edigi only had 5 for sale anyway.

Well, even if that's so, at least they seem to be on their way to 450K.

Top Bottom