• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

bummyhead said:
Is it so hard to admit that perhaps Nintendo was just the one that "went right"?

Juice, you have been found guilty of INSUFFICIENT JUBILANCE and your name has been noted on a List. Please celebrate future Nintendo sales victories with the expected enthusiasm.

You may wish to cut-and-paste the following list for future reference:

Approved comments for DS sales threads said:
Mocking
Nintendo rises to heaven! :lol
Yamauchi wins again, what a pimp! :lol
Looks like Reggie took the PSP's name! :lol
Kutaragi am cry! :lol

Exultory
Wow! I have never seen anything like this before in my life!
My hat is off to Nintendo! Three cheers for Iwata! Break out the champagne!
I can't explain how happy these sales make me! I'm grinning from ear-to-ear!
They should have sent a poet.

Cultural
Japanese gamers sure know good games!
The DS is selling because of software like Brain Training. Non-games ftw!
Why aren't DS sales like this in America? :(

Mysterious
...imagine if supply could meet demand...
...and Pokemon's not even out yet...
...this is just a taste of what the Revolution will bring...

Iconic
:D :D :D

EDIT:
phantomile co. said:
just imagine what type of sales we'll see for hardware and software once they get these things rolling out.

See, phanty's on the right page, here. GET WITH THE PROGRAM, JUICE.

soundwave05 said:
*snip*

Did you see that look? Ooooh ... Mr. Yamauchi indicating that he can't believe it!

(Someone photoshop Yamauchi's head onto Michael Jordan's shrugging pose from the '92 Finals please)

:lol

Best I could do for now:

yamauchijordan1.jpg

put me down for:

Mysterious
...imagine if supply could meet demand...
...and Pokemon's not even out yet...
...this is just a taste of what the Revolution will bring...

oh, and another thing. Nintendo really should just completely change the world with DS, and make it a full blown voice-over ip phone. if they just busted that and the browser out in one package, Nintendo would reach new levels, and types of domination around the entire world.

i mean c'mon, what would be better than a DS lite that acted as a phone, and browser. especially with that $100 price point some what soon.

it would definitely make the DS hit ipod status i think.

Shalomi

God, Kutaragi must be feeling it right now. Just imagine what the DSL will push when there's steady supply and NSMB comes out!!! :D :D :D

maybe im just being a passionate drunk here but, a voice over ip DS with a browser for $100-130 would do some insane damage to a lot of companies i think. i mean, you want some disruptive technology Nintendo, there you have it.

Shalomi

phantomile co. said:
maybe im just being a passionate drunk here but, a voice over ip DS with a browser for $100-130 would do some insane damage to a lot of companies i think. i mean, you want some disruptive technology Nintendo, there you have it.

That would make me almost as happy as I am right now about the DSL launch. The Japanese would go crazy!

Mashing said:
Well, someone's head should roll for it. They shouldn't be having supply problems, it's not a fraking Xbox 360. How hard can it be to make a DS?
It doesn't need to be complicated. They could be peanut butter sandwiches, but if they've got a set launch date and then realize there's a problem with a recent batch of peanut butter, they're not going to get as many made as planned in the short term.

Memles said:
Okay, while I totally understand why someone would want a DS Lite...don't these people realize how limited the supply is going to be? I mean, there's no way they're all getting DS Lites, and you'd think they'd figure that out eventually.
But finally they're someplace where Bark Mode comes in useful.

Probationsmack said:
Nintendo needs to stop doing this to their customers and just delay the damn thing for a few weeks so production can catch up. Id be incredibly mad if I had to stand in line for hours only to be turned away.
It's pretty lose-lose. Sure, as is they make apologies that they're low on stock. But I wouldn't want to be the one making the "We're sorry, but though we've sold 80,000 units and have another 80,000... we're just going to keep them for now." announcement.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
meltpotato said:
time for a sad but true admission:

if i was across the water, i would have been in line with them for a good 12hrs or whatever :(

Don't feel bad; the DS Lite hype is just so HUGE right now that's it hard not to want to give in and get one at all costs. Sadly I'll be waiting early again if the next release date is on a weekend again. At least it was fairly warm today...

ethelred

Cripes. I just don't even know what to say seeing pictures like those. I've never seen anything like them. It's just amazing. Nintendo needs to get its manufacturing problems resolved quickly here.

Just curious.. do some people in japan like families walk around on saturday morning, and go "What the hell is going on?" as if there clueless about the DS Lite.. or does everyone seem to know and just say

"OH Crazy Nintendo up to there shortage of units again!"

Lyte Edge

PezRadar said:
Just curious.. do some people in japan like families walk around on saturday morning, and go "What the hell is going on?" as if there clueless about the DS Lite.. or does everyone seem to know and just say

"OH Crazy Nintendo up to there shortage of units again!"

I think lining up for stuff is pretty normal; people probably just say "Look at those losers lining up outside," etc. etc. just like back home. ;)

There were two high school girls that biked by the line this morning and started laughing at everyone just standing there. :lol

DS Lite's current hard to find status is pretty well known where I am. All the stores have a bunch of signs posted up outside and when you walk in saying how Nintendo isn't giving them many units and they're all sold out and such. Although at one store I went to this morning, I saw a clerk come out with two WHITE (!!) DS Lites from the back room. They were on hold though.

Lyte Edge said:
I think lining up for stuff is pretty normal; people probably just say "Look at those losers lining up outside," etc. etc. just like back home. ;)

There were two high school girls that biked by the line this morning and started laughing at everyone just standing there. :lol

Did you take a stick and put it between the spokes of the wheels? Then watched them flip and laugh back at them?

Sorry.. twisted mind.. late at night..

Lyte Edge

PezRadar said:
Did you take a stick and put it between the spokes of the wheels? Then watched them flip and laugh back at them?

Sorry.. twisted mind.. late at night..

But that would have meant leaving my spot in line!

I'm an adult; I can wait on the DS Lite, but I REALLY felt bad for some of the kids (real young kids, too; very excited to be waiting there even) that got turned away after they started handing out tickets. :(

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I said this when the dogs launched and I said it when the Training started and I'll say it again now. This is only the beginning.

Xrenity

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ds-lite/blue-ds-lite-launch-how-much-is-a-ds-lite-really-worth-159798.php
That's crazy :D
“Whoever has this slip can purchase a DS Lite until 12:30 today. You interested?”
“What do you mean?”
“I’m selling it. I heard the DS Lite was going for 80,000 yen on eBay.”
(80,000 yen is roughly $800.)
“You’re selling the piece of paper?”
“Yeah. Hoping to get 40,000 yen for it,” he says, looking over at his friend.

That’s for a piece of paper, folks. It’s not including the price of the actual Lite.

“What, is that for a white one?”
“No, it’s blue.”
“Navy?”
For a moment, I think about hitting an ATM.
“No,” he goes. “Ice blue.”
“Thanks, but no thanks.”

Tough Guy #1 hangs up and motions for them to leave. He and his friend lurk back down the alley, leaving clouds of cigarette smoke. No thanks, indeed.

dannie said:
7:15AM 11/3
P1000842.JPG

P1000843.JPG

Haha I was in that line, lined up with some friends around 10PM. I already have a white one but I promised a friend back home I would get one. That line ended up going around the entire block and I heard that at the end there were around 2000 people there. But I also heard that they had 2000 DS lites in stock from one of the workers. Can't say how true this is.

It really isn't as bad as the pictures make it out. We got there at 10PM and received our numbers, and then at 12PM they let us leave for 4 hours. You just had to be back in line around 4PM for them to check your ticket again. Basically it was us 4 and a japanese couple playing bomberman for a few hours. Quite a bit of fun (^_^)v

XeMinus

phantomile co. said:
Now imagine a tiny webcam you could attach to the top of the upper screen... DS video conf zal droppen FTW!!

DS.lite + non-games + voice over ip + video conf = **world domination**

Too sad it will never happen...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
BudokaiMR2 said:
Haha I was in that line, lined up with some friends around 10PM. I already have a white one but I promised a friend back home I would get one. That line ended up going around the entire block and I heard that at the end there were around 2000 people there. But I also heard that they had 2000 DS lites in stock from one of the workers. Can't say how true this is.

It really isn't as bad as the pictures make it out. We got there at 10PM and received our numbers, and then at 12PM they let us leave for 4 hours. You just had to be back in line around 4PM for them to check your ticket again. Basically it was us 4 and a japanese couple playing bomberman for a few hours. Quite a bit of fun (^_^)v

Just think when you're old and grey and can barely form a cogent simile you will be able to tell your grandkids.

You: I was THERE man, I was THERE at ground zero!
Grandkids: Where grandpa? Vietnam? Woodstock?
You: No you little freaks I was at the Enamel/Ice Blue DSlite launch at Yodobashi in 0fukin6
Grandkids: Wooaaaaaaa. Grandpa, you're pretty awesome.
You: *while playing Brain Training 53* No shit.

Shaheed79 said:
Just think when you're old and grey and can barely form a cogent simile you will be able to tell your grandkids.

You: I was THERE man, I was THERE at ground zero!
Grandkids: Where grandpa? Vietnam? Woodstock?
You: No you little freaks I was at the Enamel/Ice Blue DSlite launch at Yodobashi in 0fukin6
Grandkids: Wooaaaaaaa. Grandpa, you're pretty awesome.
You: *while playing Brain Training 53* No shit.

Haha, your damn right!

fatty

BudokaiMR2 said:

What number and color DSL did you end up getting?

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
This post should exist for ever. It's amazing how Nintendo managed to succes the DS.

DS it's the begining of a new era of gaming, I'm happy to be there.

Kola

you should check gamefront.de , they've got a big report online. it's mostly in german but there are about 50 pics which are just hilarious. crazy japanese!

lancubap

cvxfreak said:
At this point I think the DS has a good chance of becoming the best selling Japanese platform of all time, surpassing the Famicom and PSone.

Yes if Nintendo can produce DS enough !

Trurl

Banned
crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapsigh

i just bit the bullet and bought a ds lite off ebay...couldn't...resist...the...hype...

Your post isn't complete until you tell us how much you paid.

whatdidyousay said:
crapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapcrapsigh

i just bit the bullet and bought a ds lite off ebay...couldn't...resist...the...hype...

tell us how much you paid so we can laugh and mock you.

anyway I hate you... unless you are shipping it to me :p

lancubap

I think that Nintendo's problems to produce huge quantity of DS Lite is due to the two screens.

As you have seen, the contrast and the light that DS can produce of DS Lite is just amazing, and, even if the resolution is lower to the PSP, this last can produce less light and less contrast.

For these High Quality screen, there's only a productor: SHARP.
Sharp must produce 2 HQ screens for each DS Lite: I think that's quite obvious that Nintendo cannot bring on the market 500.000 DS Lite in a week, but only little shipment for each week.
I think that Nintendo has not wait enough to bring the Lite on the market, or perhaps the annoncement has been made by mistake: that's because it was so "quiet" as annoncement.
But it is only a supposition.

polg

tanasten said:
This post should exist for ever. It's amazing how Nintendo managed to succes the DS.

DS it's the begining of a new era of gaming, I'm happy to be there.

I said it last week... this should have been stickied...

Top Bottom