• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

Sho Nuff

Banned
I saw my first DS Lite in the wild today! Most of the people on the Toyoko line are playing PSPs or watching pr0n on them, but there was some older dude in a suit playing Animal Crossing.

In other news there are no restocks anywhere blarg

I was very tempted not even to post this, but since there's almost no chance anyone reading this will be going to the store next to my apartment...

TOMORROW IS THE RESTOCK!

I just stopped by the store I've gone to every time so far and they finally had the sign up tonight. 11 Ice Blues, 11 Crystal Whites, 21 Navy Enamels available tomorrow morning. This store's doing a raffle drawing in the morning like they have every time. Everyone else seems to have been keeping very mum about it. Bic Camera just quietly removed the little notice that said "we don't know when the next shipment will be" on their web site today..

Xrenity

Fried Newt said:
I was very tempted not even to post this, but since there's almost no chance anyone reading this will be going to the store next to my apartment...

TOMORROW IS THE RESTOCK!

I just stopped by the store I've gone to every time so far and they finally had the sign up tonight. 11 Ice Blues, 11 Crystal Whites, 21 Navy Enamels available tomorrow morning. This store's doing a raffle drawing in the morning like they have every time. Everyone else seems to have been keeping very mum about it. Bic Camera just quietly removed the little notice that said "we don't know when the next shipment will be" on their web site today..
Do you expect lines again? :D

There'll be lines, but this'll be your best shot of getting one yet. The previous two shipments were highly publicized launch days. This is just a secondary shipment that hardly anyone knows is coming tomorrow.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Fried Newt said:
There'll be lines, but this'll be your best shot of getting one yet. The previous two shipments were highly publicized launch days. This is just a secondary shipment that hardly anyone knows is coming tomorrow.

UNTIL NOW!

Stampede2.jpg

amrum

Hey Gaffers !

I bought Hori DSL protective filters.
Do you know which one is for the touch screen ? The red or white one ? :)

Fried Newt said:

TOMORROW IS THE RESTOCK!

That's a lot Navys! I hope that means my order from play-asia will ship sometime this month. :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
DS GET!! Went into town today and the only game shop had a sign up saying new stocks would be today at 10. I got there at 11 and they had sold out of everything except two navys, which was exactly what i wanted.

cvxfreak

mrklaw said:
DS GET!! Went into town today and the only game shop had a sign up saying new stocks would be today at 10. I got there at 11 and they had sold out of everything except two navys, which was exactly what i wanted.

Congratulations!!!! :)

...MrArseFace! *is jealous* :(

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
mrklaw said:
grats :)

DS GET for me, too! Err, well, for my girlfriend anyway. It was easy pickings today since hardly anyone knew about the restock. Almost everyone who showed up for the drawing got one. There were more Enamel Navies today than people who wanted them, so everyone who took a ticket for navy got one. Then once they had drawn numbers for the other colors, they put them together and drew from those for the leftover navies. There were only about 4 or 5 people who didn't get one.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
::::BASHES HEAD AGAINST THE WALL::::

Why didn't I check GAF last night?? XD

I'm sure they're all gone now, but damn it I'm going to have to go check anyway.

Smidget

Hey guys, I'm one of those dumb people who spent too much for one on Ebay. I was wondering what's the best screen protectors to get for the DSL and where I could find them :) Thanks!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
No DS systems as expected, but the electronics store that I never go to (it's right near the big Yamada Denki that everyone here seems to go to) DID have regular black DS systems in stock, and they took down my name for a reserve, so that makes two stores that I'm on the list for now.

I guess Saturday is the new DS restock day?

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
mrklaw said:

Congrats man. :)

If you happen to find another you know where to send it, else it's totally cool man. Enjoy your holiday! :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Great King Bowser said:
Congrats man. :)

If you happen to find another you know where to send it, else it's totally cool man. Enjoy your holiday! :lol

you didn't tell me what colour. let me know and i'll check next week. say if you have a second/third choice too

So...I got my Enamel Navy DS Lite from buygame2.com today. Due to some weird mix-up of their payment system, I had to talk to them on MSN to set some things straight. It was a 30 minute conversation, and since they were based in HK, I think some things were lost in translation...which made me quite wary at first. Overall, they were nice and even threw in a free Pac-Pix stylus with my new DS Lite.

I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Overall, a good place to buy imports, and it's great that I could get instant feedback from them concerning my order.

Anyway...here's a comparison pic. This is what you wanted to see anyway:
DSCN2667mod.jpg

smirkrevenge said:
So...I got my Enamel Navy DS Lite from buygame2.com today. Due to some weird mix-up of their payment system, I had to talk to them on MSN to set some things straight. It was a 30 minute conversation, and since they were based in HK, I think some things were lost in translation...which made me quite wary at first. Overall, they were nice and even threw in a free Pac-Pix stylus with my new DS Lite.

I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Overall, a good place to buy imports, and it's great that I could get instant feedback from them concerning my order.

DSCN2667mod.jpg

You are now the slickest poster on GAF. That picture is fucking awesome.

Bebpo

Banned
So is there still nowhere to buy this at a reasonable price ($200 or less) if you're not in Japan? Any idea when import stores like P-A will actually get a shipment?

I have Mana here but I'm afraid to put it in my old DS :(

ant1532

Banned
Bebpo said:
So is there still nowhere to buy this at a reasonable price ($200 or less) if you're not in Japan? Any idea when import stores like P-A will actually get a shipment?

I have Mana here but I'm afraid to put it in my old DS :(

Doesnt look like it... Hopefully they announce it for US at GDC.

I would be afraid to put mana in old ds too. just hold off and forget about it ill you get ure lite. (thats what i would do)

ps. mine should be coming in today (^_^)

cvxfreak

I just realizeed that Nintendo has about 10 or 11 days left in Japan to fulfill their 450K promise for the March shipment. DS Lite has sold about 158,000 as of March 12, and then this latest shipment came, so perhaps huge shipments will be here in a few days or so.

cvxfreak said:
I just realizeed that Nintendo has about 10 or 11 days left in Japan to fulfill their 450K promise for the March shipment. DS Lite has sold about 158,000 as of March 12, and then this latest shipment came, so perhaps huge shipments will be here in a few days or so.

thats a strong point. but them holding back a big horde to deliver all at once in the last week of march just seems very unlikely to me.

gimz

i'm wondering how well is the screen quality for NDSL, i mean, is there any dead pixel cases for all NDSL owner?

mj1108

gimz said:
i'm wondering how well is the screen quality for NDSL, i mean, is there any dead pixel cases for all NDSL owner?

I haven't heard of a single report of dead pixels yet, on any forum for that matter. The screen was created by Jesus himself.

A guy at the mall I work at is thinking about putting together an internet show for gadgets and whatnot. He wants me to show off my Lite, and I was thinking about what I could do for the show. Pretty much the only thing I could come up with is show off as many games as possible, the vids I've seen so far are the usual suspects (mario kart, princess peach, sonic, animal crossing). So if anyone has anything they want answered, ask away and I'll try to address it if we can get this thing off the ground.

I'm just hoping it can come close to Gamelife :D

Gantz

Banned
mj1108 said:
I haven't heard of a single report of dead pixels yet, on any forum for that matter. The screen was created by Jesus himself.

I'm not surprised. Nintendo makes quality stuff.

smirkrevenge said:

DSCN2667mod.jpg

So, PSP is on brightest level too in this pic?
With or without power plug in?

I'm really considering to buy an Enamel Navy one. I wish Nintendo would make a black one, but somehow I guess this won't happen. =/
However the Enemal one looks pretty dark in all the pics I've seen yet.

Shalomi

Sugarman said:
A guy at the mall I work at is thinking about putting together an internet show for gadgets and whatnot. He wants me to show off my Lite, and I was thinking about what I could do for the show. Pretty much the only thing I could come up with is show off as many games as possible, the vids I've seen so far are the usual suspects (mario kart, princess peach, sonic, animal crossing). So if anyone has anything they want answered, ask away and I'll try to address it if we can get this thing off the ground.

I'm just hoping it can come close to Gamelife :D

I give up. I can't even find the original video of that guy. Does anyone have a picture of him in a vacant stare?

This is the one made by a fat retarded kid in his basement, right?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
neondriver said:
So, PSP is on brightest level too in this pic?
With or without power plug in?

I'm really considering to buy an Enamel Navy one. I wish Nintendo would make a black one, but somehow I guess this won't happen. =/
However the Enemal one looks pretty dark in all the pics I've seen yet.
... there have been plenty of comparison pics of the DSL and PSP on their highest settings. Yes, the DSL easily is brighter than the PSP, even when the PSP is using the plug in setting.

The PSP is not plugged in and I want to say that it is set to 2nd brightest setting. Oops.

Either way, the DS Lite is still brighter.

Impressions so far: My hands hurt cos it's so damn small! Otherwise...I'm loving it. *runs to McDonald's*

smirkrevenge said:

DSCN2667mod.jpg

The screen is so bright, it washes out the image.

:(

sammy

jamesinclair said:
The screen is so bright, it washes out the image.

:(

I think that's mostly his camera trying to adjust its aperture to so many unique lights --- I've seen many images like this and was worried.

but I got a lite, and the image is never washed out like that - the contrast and clarity is even crisper than my PSP even if the resolution isn't as tight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mj1108 said:
The screen was created by Jesus himself.
its good but not *that* good. there is some loss of colour and contrast at wide angles. psp is slightly better just because there is only one screen to deal with. still hugely better than DS though

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
mrklaw said:
its good but not *that* good. there is some loss of colour and contrast at wide angles. psp is slightly better just because there is only one screen to deal with. still hugely better than DS though

I'd disgree. The PSP screen impressed the shit out of me at launch, but the DS Lite still managed to impress me all over again. The contrast, brightness and vividness of the colours is very impressive. Even in daylight.

And best of all, no colour bleeding. That always took the edge off the PSP screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the lite screen is impressive partly because DS was so bad-viewing angle made it almost impossible to have both screens optimum. i'd agree that refresh rate is better than psp, but viewing angle isn't as good (close though).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well I never had a DS before the Lite, so this is my first experience with one. And the screens still managed to impress me, and those who saw it, even though we're used to the PSP.

So it must be doing something right :)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Can we stop the PSP vs DSL screen argument please? DSL is brighter, PSP is bigger and has higher res, theres not really much more to say...both have as much potential for jaw dropping visuals as each other, depending on the content created.

I will say that the DSL/Micro screens are almost painfully bright though. Visited my Micro yesterday and it was on highest brightness and I was like "arrgghh my eyes!!" and had to turn it down for comfort. (I was in the dark so...) For 2D games like CoM, Mario, Zelda etc I think the DSL is perfect. Has that magazine cut-out look.

But PSP is better for 3D and cut scenes or shiny little effects like you get in Lumines or DJ Max.

The L button on my DS Lite is a bit fucked. It makes this horrible clicking sound every now and again, and I kinda need to pop it back in. It still works perfectly well, but still. I may try opening it up and seeing what I can do about it.

I'll have to wait till the prices are reasonable though, in case I break it. Maybe when it's out in the UK. I'll be able to trade it in for probably 80% of it's RRP near the launch, may do that and get a whole new one.

TheGreatDave said:
The L button on my DS Lite is a bit fucked. It makes this horrible clicking sound every now and again, and I kinda need to pop it back in. It still works perfectly well, but still. I may try opening it up and seeing what I can do about it.

I'll have to wait till the prices are reasonable though, in case I break it. Maybe when it's out in the UK. I'll be able to trade it in for probably 80% of it's RRP near the launch, may do that and get a whole new one.

What colour did you get? this is the first issue I have heard of so far.
Was it like that out of the box or was it after initial use?

B.K.

I give up. I went ahead and cancelled my preorder at NCSX. As long as it's going to be, I can wait another month or two for the American release.

Tony HoTT

Banned
I'm gonna hold out with my play-asia order until the end of the month. I ordered it first week of february i think :[

If it doesn't ship by then then I hate nintendo for doing this!

Top Bottom