• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
cvxfreak said:
The Lite uses a completely different AC adapter than the original DS or GBASP. So you'll need a voltage adapter until the Australian release proper.
hmmm, what about the GB Micro AC adapter? Will that work with the DS Lite in terms of the physical connection and the voltage requirements?

cvxfreak

Scrow said:
hmmm, what about the GB Micro AC adapter? Will that work with the DS Lite in terms of the physical connection and the voltage requirements?

I had heard from The Colonel that the micro adapter worked, but apparently he was mistaken as the micro adapter doesn't work either and vice versa.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, amazingly enough, today BOTH of the stores I had reserves at called me; I got two DS systems (ice blue and enamel navy), and despite the fact that ice blue is my least favorite color of the three, I'm keeping that system; doesn't seem to show fingerprints as easily, plus my girlfriend loves it. ^_^;

So the enamel navy system is up for grabs; if you want it, PM ME NOW before I stick it up on an auction site. I'm going to sell it at a very fair price, because the bottom screen has one stuck red pixel to the right. I tested a couple of games and it doesn't get in the way, but I want everyone to know about it first. :)

rareside

Congrats on the pickup of 2 systems. I figured something was up with your ambiguous text message. Did you have a choice on which color or was it decided by the store?

Heh, I hope to have mine sometime in May when the New SMB drops.

Lyte Edge

rareside said:
Congrats on the pickup of 2 systems. I figured something was up with your ambiguous text message. Did you have a choice on which color or was it decided by the store?

Heh, I hope to have mine sometime in May when the New SMB drops.

The store decided, although at one of them, I did say I didn't want ice blue, and they gave me enamel navy. Didn't seem like they got in any white systems today, which is still my first choice of color. I'm sure sometime down the road, I'll end up selling the ice blue for a white, or waiting to see if more colors come out.

I ordered some PSP games from NCS last week; now I'm banging my head against the wall for not having ordered Metroid and Tetris. D'OH

Fongul

Lyte Edge said:
Okay, amazingly enough, today BOTH of the stores I had reserves at called me; I got two DS systems (ice blue and enamel navy), and despite the fact that ice blue is my least favorite color of the three, I'm keeping that system; doesn't seem to show fingerprints as easily, plus my girlfriend loves it. ^_^;

So the enamel navy system is up for grabs; if you want it, PM ME NOW before I stick it up on an auction site. I'm going to sell it at a very fair price, because the bottom screen has one stuck red pixel to the right. I tested a couple of games and it doesn't get in the way, but I want everyone to know about it first. :)

PM sent

Lyte Edge

Fongul, you're first; if you want it, it's yours!

I'm just going to say this about the DS Lite: It's like playing a brand new system. The screen quality is infinitely better than the regular DS; I want to slap whoever decided not to bring out the DS Lite first instead of the DS. :p

I don't think I'm going to be needing my GB Micro anymore now either.

Fongul

Lyte Edge said:
Fongul, you're first; if you want it, it's yours!

I'm just going to say this about the DS Lite: It's like playing a brand new system. The screen quality is infinitely better than the regular DS; I want to slap whoever decided not to bring out the DS Lite first instead of the DS. :p

I don't think I'm going to be needing my GB Micro anymore now either.

I love my GB Micro at work due to the small size (I can hold it under the desk and look like I'm working!) but having a DS Lite should work as well :lol And to think I gave up on securing a DS Lite (I bit the bullet & cancelled my DS Lite preorder with Play-Asia for a white PSP)

Lyte Edge

I had pretty much given up as well; figured it wouldn't be until next month or may, and then I got the call today. Was at my GF's house meeting her parents for the first time, my phone starting ringing, I saw the store's name flashing across the screen, and my mouth fell open. :lol

Fongul said:
I love my GB Micro at work due to the small size (I can hold it under the desk and look like I'm working!) but having a DS Lite should work as well :lol And to think I gave up on securing a DS Lite (I bit the bullet & cancelled my DS Lite preorder with Play-Asia for a white PSP)

My GB Micro stays in my bag that goes to work, but I end up never taking it out; I think it would look REAL bad to get caught with it in at my job. :lol

But this week is spring vacation; I'm going to be sitting in the teachers' room in a school with no students for a week twiddling my thumbs (browsing GAF, as awesome as that is, does get old after two-three straight hours!), and the DS or Micro is mighty tempting. The PSP is too big to play with stealth, plus there's that UMD loading noise.

Lyte Edge said:
I had pretty much given up as well; figured it wouldn't be until next month or may, and then I got the call today. Was at my GF's house meeting her parents for the first time, my phone starting ringing, I saw the store's name flashing across the screen, and my mouth fell open. :lol

My GB Micro stays in my bag that goes to work, but I end up never taking it out; I think it would look REAL bad to get caught with it in at my job. :lol

But this week is spring vacation; I'm going to be sitting in the teachers' room in a school with no students for a week twiddling my thumbs (browsing GAF, as awesome as that is, does get old after two-three straight hours!), and the DS or Micro is mighty tempting. The PSP is too big to play with stealth, plus there's that UMD loading noise.

nice grab!

is it safe to assume that supply is getting a good deal closer to demand?

Is it safe to say that if I didn't place a pre-order its going to be tough to get one for a while?

Are enamel blue DS lites more common than whites at the moment?
I still want a white one :(

Chittagong

Gold Member
Lyte Edge said:
I want to slap whoever decided not to bring out the DS Lite first instead of the DS. :p

I bet it's the same guys Iwata-san said should be consulted for advice for innovative games: board of executives and CFO.

Oh, and I'm so jealous right now. My frothing demand for DS Lite is exploding through my pants. I have my copy of Brain Age waiting.

cvxfreak

I think you should hold out with the original DS, Chittagong. I thought I would hate playing Tetris DS on the old one, but alas, I kinda forgot all about the DS Lite for now. :p

Chittagong

Gold Member
cvxfreak said:
I think you should hold out with the original DS, Chittagong. I thought I would hate playing Tetris DS on the old one, but alas, I kinda forgot all about the DS Lite for now. :p

You don't have a DS Lite... and I think you live in Japan? So, what does that mean for the chances of... oh, wait :(

I'm going out now, but I'm just posting again to say that my previous enquiries about availability and enamel blue are because I'd really like to pick one up in the coming weeks.

If any Japan-GAFfers are willing to help me get a hold of one through means that aren't Play-Asia or Lik-Sang and the like, I'm all ears as of the 31st of March. I'll keep the money aside... If I'm going to pay more than the originally intended price or something, I'd rather it went to someone here.

Walshey

Poppin Fresh and I are near Takadanobaba station staying with some friends here in Tokyo Japan. Had a quick browse while we were out last night and saw alot of sold out signs. anyone know when the next japanese shipment is due?

Lyte Edge

meltpotato said:
nice grab!

is it safe to assume that supply is getting a good deal closer to demand?

I think so, especially if they're supposed to be shipping a bunch more units next week. I don't know what this is going to mean for importers, however. The bottom line is that you're going to have to pay more for a DS Lite until the system comes out Stateside. I just wouldn't pay the ridiculous prices they're going for now on some websites....the two systems I bought yesterday still cost less combined than it would be to order one DS Lite from Renchi.com, for instance.

CloudV

For those in Japan it looks like yesterday was a ship date. I went to Ikebukuro after work on my way home and stopped in Bic Camera just to look. What do I know but they've got a huge line from the 3rd floor game counter to the stairwell and down. I'm like, oh crap... I go and look at the front, and a stack of DS lites being sold one by one. Looks like they had a lotto or card system, as all people in line had some sort of slip. Of course they were sold out, at the end of the line they had an employee saying there are no more so don't bother gettting in line.

This was at Ikebukuro Bic Camera's main store at the east exit, (ビックカメラ本店、池袋東口) at 6:30. It looks like they got them in just then, or they waited till the evening to sell them. It was a huge line, so it seems like people are getting shipment info somehow, even though the stores will say they don't know.

I don't get paid till Friday so I couldn't have bought it anyways. My shining new copies of Castlevania and Animal Crossing that my friend sent me from America are waiting here to be played though, along with my brain training.... meh, by the time I can afford to buy one they should be in stock... (yeah, right)

An interesting note, for those who didn't know, Nintendo has been apologizing since the end of last month here regarding the system shortage. When you ride the Yamanote line, on the moniters they play a long message apologizing for the shortage, and the initial delay of the two colors. They're taking it serious, but simply still not producing enough to meet demand.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
Nah, I'm in California, so my chances are as good as yours. =P
So you're just a liar?
http://frostitution.net/wifi/mphunters/ said:
cvxfreak CVXfreak Japan 6291 2842 1830
:D

EDIT: BTW that number doesn't work when I tried adding you.

Deku

Banned
If it makes any of you feel happy, I had a friend try and get one for me and he decided to keep it for himself. :lol

Timbuktu

I finally got my Navy DS Lite! :D some pics for those who has forgotten what it looks like:

ds3be.jpg

ds29ll.jpg

ds13ek.jpg

ds38al.jpg

I know I'm horrible to all those still waiting, but this thing is gorgeous.

CloudV said:
For those in Japan it looks like yesterday was a ship date. I went to Ikebukuro after work on my way home and stopped in Bic Camera just to look. What do I know but they've got a huge line from the 3rd floor game counter to the stairwell and down. I'm like, oh crap... I go and look at the front, and a stack of DS lites being sold one by one. Looks like they had a lotto or card system, as all people in line had some sort of slip. Of course they were sold out, at the end of the line they had an employee saying there are no more so don't bother gettting in line.

This was at Ikebukuro Bic Camera's main store at the east exit, (ビックカメラ本店、池袋東口) at 6:30. It looks like they got them in just then, or they waited till the evening to sell them. It was a huge line, so it seems like people are getting shipment info somehow, even though the stores will say they don't know.

I don't get paid till Friday so I couldn't have bought it anyways. My shining new copies of Castlevania and Animal Crossing that my friend sent me from America are waiting here to be played though, along with my brain training.... meh, by the time I can afford to buy one they should be in stock... (yeah, right)

An interesting note, for those who didn't know, Nintendo has been apologizing since the end of last month here regarding the system shortage. When you ride the Yamanote line, on the moniters they play a long message apologizing for the shortage, and the initial delay of the two colors. They're taking it serious, but simply still not producing enough to meet demand.

They're still getting lines of people!?
damn :(

lancubap

Timbuktu said:
I finally got my Navy DS Lite! :D some pics for those who has forgotten what it looks like:

ds3be.jpg

ds29ll.jpg

ds13ek.jpg

ds38al.jpg

Amazing !!! The reflection's "number" must be really high !!

Lyte Edge

Here's some pics of my ice blue DS. The color is actually growing on me now, but I still think white is by far the best color for this system.

normal_06-03-25_23-11.jpg
normal_06-03-25_23-12.jpg
normal_06-03-25_23-16.jpg

normal_06-03-26_21-59.jpg
normal_06-03-26_22-00.jpg
normal_06-03-26_22-021.jpg

Comparison shot of the DS Lite and the PSP with brightness settings on max:

normal_06-03-26_22-06.jpg

Pics were taken with my cell phone, so the quality isn't the best.

Zep

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Here's some pics of my ice blue DS. The color is actually growing on me now, but I still think white is by far the best color for this system.

normal_06-03-25_23-111.jpg
normal_06-03-25_23-19.jpg

What game is that with Alucard?

For the sake of two friends, I went to my local Toysrus at around 0830 this morning as 300 units were to be sold starting 1000am. It was too late. And this almost a month after launch....I also saw a bunh of disappointed people being rejected by the sold out signs....

The new message from Nintendo JPN's homepage says that while 550.000 units (correction from projected 450.000) were delivered in March, more than 700.000 units will be delivered in April.

I got Tetris and Metroid Prime yesterday, they both play amazing on my DS Lite. Especially Metroid is way above expectation! Anyone heard of a JPN releasedate for this game? - Need more local people to play with - since everyone in the US seems to be asleep by the time I want to play...

Lyte Edge

Metroid doesn't seem to have a release date at all yet. I was going to wait and see, and wait on Tetris to come out next month too, but now that I have a Lite, I'm going to have my parents pick them up for me and bring them here when they come to visit on friday. I need some new DS games; very tempted to go pick up Children of Mana, but I don't know if it's my kind of game.

As much as I love the DS Lite (it fixes the problems of the DS with the sleek redesign, and more importantly, better screens), PSP is kicking so much ass right now that I spent today playing PSP games while my DS Lite sat in its case.

DaddyZ said:
What game is that with Alucard?

Castlevania Dawn Of Souls. Alucard is a bonus character. :)

elmalloc

I've got 2 friends in Japan that will try and find a couple DS Lites for me and ship them over...we will see what it costs though, Japan to US shipping isn't that cheap.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
Timbuktu said:

ds3be.jpg

Why is it that whenever i see a dslite pic the battery is nearly dead? Is the battery life realy that bad?

Lyte Edge

Jefklak said:
What are those other games? That flying thing? Looks intresting

Top middle pic is Castlevania DoS. To the right is Phoenix Wright. Bottom middle is Nanostray, and bottom right is Dragonball Z. The color looks really nice in Nanostray on the DS Lite screen.

Timbuktu

Darmstadtium said:
Why is it that whenever i see a dslite pic the battery is nearly dead? Is the battery life realy that bad?

I don't know, I only just got the DS yesterday when my cousin brought over for me from HK and I hadn't charged it when i took the photos. I gave it a full charge afterwards and it's still 'green' after hours of play.

Lyte Edge

Darmstadtium said:

Everyone is excited when they get their DS Lites...the system comes only partially charged, so the battery light is going to turn orange real quick right out of the box.

So most likely, all these pics you're seeing were taken right after the system was purchased/received by people eager to show it off. :)

Lyte Edge said:
Everyone is excited when they get their DS Lites...the system comes only partially charged, so the battery light is going to turn orange real quick right out of the box.

You mean red right? Or have I missed some middle indication? :)

God...damn...it...

who do I have to kill to get one of these things?

Eternity in a burning lake of fire might seem like a high price, but you'd be surprised what people would pay.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
Timbuktu said:
I don't know, I only just got the DS yesterday when my cousin brought over for me from HK and I hadn't charged it when i took the photos. I gave it a full charge afterwards and it's still 'green' after hours of play.

+

Lyte Edge said:

So most likely, all these pics you're seeing were taken right after the system was purchased/received by people eager to show it off. :)

=

Ohh... I see now...makes since.

I'm still playing to get 2 of these so I hope Nintendo does ship 700,000 next month and if the price is back to $170 to import I will be on this :D

I have not even played animal crossing waiting on this :(

Rocked

Does anyone have any shots of GBA games running on the DS? I wouldn't mind seeing one of the Mario Advance games on it.

i preordered. i waited in line on day one for hours. i've been told that they'll call me when my preorder comes in. i'm beginning to believe that the damn thing doesnt exist.

and to think, i sold my old DS to save money for the new one. at least my psp just got here. it's no tetris DS, but it'll have to do.

neo2046

GOOD NEWS for those guys who plan to import the DSL
it seems the DSLs shippment is increased
During the weekend in Hong Kong, the price of the 2 blue colors have been dropped around US$40
(white color is still rare )
and I hear that even more stocks are coming starting from next week

so if anyone want to buy/import DSL, just wait 1 (or 2) more weeks
the price will be more reasonable soon :D

Timbuktu said:

ds3be.jpg

ds29ll.jpg

ds13ek.jpg

ds38al.jpg

Lyte Edge said:

normal_06-03-26_21-59.jpg
normal_06-03-26_22-00.jpg
normal_06-03-26_22-021.jpg

Comparison shot of the DS Lite and the PSP with brightness settings on max:

normal_06-03-26_22-06.jpg

Nice pics, thanks!! :D :D

Top Bottom