• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

B.K.

I preordered back on Feb. 4. There are so many games coming out that I'd rather wait for it and save some money.

radioheadrule83 said:
Any of the gaming vets here know how long this might take to come down to reasonable prices? Or when it will be more readily in stock?

April? May?

i doubt you will see the 169 pricepoint until june at the earliest. but its pretty hard to say without knowing the true nature of the shortage.

cvxfreak

Man, what a disaster. The sales are impressive, but Nintendo's seriously lagging behind. It's almost been three months since the holidays.

Rock_Man

From gamefront.de:
Weiterhin knappe NDS-Liefermengen in Japan

22.03.06 - Nintendo wird in dieser Woche die Liefermenge des Nintendo DS und DS Lite in Japan nicht erhöhen. Das geht aus Großhandelsberichten hervor.

In dieser Woche sollen genau so viele Handhelds in die Läden kommen wie in der letzten Woche; dadurch bleibt die Situation aufgrund begrenzter Verfügbarkeit weiter angespannt.

Translation:
Further knappe NDS delivery volumes in Japan 22,03,06 - Nintendo will not increase the delivery volume of the Nintendo DS and DS Lite in this week in Japan. That comes out from wholesale reports. In this week exactly the same many Handhelds are to come into the shops as in the last week; thus the situation remains further strained due to limited availability.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Rock_Man said:
From gamefront.de:
Weiterhin knappe NDS-Liefermengen in Japan

22.03.06 - Nintendo wird in dieser Woche die Liefermenge des Nintendo DS und DS Lite in Japan nicht erhöhen. Das geht aus Großhandelsberichten hervor.

In dieser Woche sollen genau so viele Handhelds in die Läden kommen wie in der letzten Woche; dadurch bleibt die Situation aufgrund begrenzter Verfügbarkeit weiter angespannt.

Translation:
Further knappe NDS delivery volumes in Japan 22,03,06 - Nintendo will not increase the delivery volume of the Nintendo DS and DS Lite in this week in Japan. That comes out from wholesale reports. In this week exactly the same many Handhelds are to come into the shops as in the last week; thus the situation remains further strained due to limited availability.

No date given...is it going to be Saturday again?

Also:

NCS said:
NDS Lite Update
Prices for all three colors of the NDS Lite (crystal white, enamel navy, and ice blue) were updated overnight to ~US$221 per unit from a few Asian traders in anticipation of next week. The next batch of DS Lites is scheduled to ship from Nintendo on or around March 30.

Sadly, the allocation of units can't be confirmed at this time but we'll try to wrangle suppliers into committing to a set quantity of Lites. If there's more supply than expected, prices will be adjusted lower but we'll update again next week when more information is available.

NCSX Confirmed the March 30th shipment yesterday in its news.. And it says its going to ask its ties on the other side of the pacific to hold some ds lites for them, which would absolutley pwn!

:p

mj1108

PezRadar said:
NCSX Confirmed the March 30th shipment yesterday in its news.. And it says its going to ask its ties on the other side of the pacific to hold some ds lites for them, which would absolutley pwn!

:p

It will definitely pwn if they do and there is no price increase.

(crosses fingers)

ant1532

Banned
Wow.

Just got DS Lite in today.

This thing is awesome. Screens look like printouts. I see things i never saw before. Lighter weight makes Metroid awesome! (hand almost fell off yesterday playin Metroid on old system for 4 hours lol)

Anyway i got the hori screen protectors but I have no Idea how to put em on or which screen protector is for which screen. I tried putting one on but failed and it left a mark on the screen but it dissapeared(thank god).Can anyone help here?

E-Nature

ant1532 said:
thanks a lot! cant wait to try later! :D

Oh yea, does anyone want to request pictures of the Lite? Comparisons, w/e? I wouldnt think so since there is already so many but if you do just say it and I will. (I have the crystal white)

yeah please do :) I can never get enough of these pictures :) but make it special!

BTW where did you buy the DS lite and for what price?

I've checked Tokyo, Sendai, Kyoto, and Nara for a DS Lite with no luck. I guess I'm just waiting until mid-April. I've already bought 'Children of Mana' and 'Mario and Luigi RPG 2' as I wait.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I went to pick up Pokemon Rangers today, and lo and behold, there was ONE DS Lite on the shelf. I already have a regular DS, but I couldn't pass it up since they're in such low quantities.

060323_133610.jpg

The_IGN_Man said:
I've checked Tokyo, Sendai, Kyoto, and Nara for a DS Lite with no luck. I guess I'm just waiting until mid-April. I've already bought 'Children of Mana' and 'Mario and Luigi RPG 2' as I wait.

Tell me about it. I've also collected a pretty good backlog of games that I'm waiting to play on the Lite. Mario & Luigi, Peach and Metroid. :(

E-Nature

Reno said:
I went to pick up Pokemon Rangers today, and lo and behold, there was ONE DS Lite on the shelf. I already have a regular DS, but I couldn't pass it up since they're in such low quantities.

060323_133610.jpg

OMG, will you sell it to me? tell me your price :)

Lyte Edge

Reno said:

060323_133610.jpg

o_O

Woah! Is this the first time a lone DS Lite was spotted like this? Maybe it was a return or something?

I have been noticing regular DS systems popping up at some stores lately.

ziran

there's some pr over at nintendo-europe uk about the new official nintendo magazine. when taking about its ds lite feature it says:
...Having just seen explosive sales in Japan, the feature covers every square millimetre of the sexy new handheld in anticipation of the unit’s summer UK release...
i think gaybrush said something similar, so i'd guess july/august for europe :(

Tiger

Banned
I didn't want to read this entire thread. I'm just wondering if there are any known problems with the DSlite so far? I'm slightly tempted to import one right now. :p

My wife would kill me. :/

TehOh

Tiger said:
I didn't want to read this entire thread. I'm just wondering if there are any known problems with the DSlite so far? I'm slightly tempted to import one right now. :p

My wife would kill me. :/

One person has a crappy L button.
One person had a stuck pixel, but it fixed itself.

So, pretty good track record so far.

Is there any reason for me to wait for the U.S. release to try and get a DS Lite? I guess what I'm asking is: is it possible that the hardware might be improved somehow by the time it launches in NA?

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Larry Bird said:
Is there any reason for me to wait for the U.S. release to try and get a DS Lite? I guess what I'm asking is: is it possible that the hardware might be improved somehow by the time it launches in NA?

Absolutely not. The hardware will remain exactly the same.

Chittagong

Gold Member
AAAARGHHHH I need my DS Lite to play my Brain-Age!!! How can it be that Play-Asia can't get a single unit. I was refreshing their site after the announcement and ordered it the moment the page went up. Just ordered Tetris DS and Metroid too.

poppin fresh said:
What colour did you get? this is the first issue I have heard of so far.
Was it like that out of the box or was it after initial use?

Bit late replying, but it is a White Lite, and I think it was out the box, though it's got a little worse.

The touch screen is also a little dodgy, it kinda...clicks in to place if I apply preasure. That's nothing major though, very rare. I think I've got one of the worst units though.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Chittagong said:
AAAARGHHHH I need my DS Lite to play my Brain-Age!!! How can it be that Play-Asia can't get a single unit. I was refreshing their site after the announcement and ordered it the moment the page went up. Just ordered Tetris DS and Metroid too.

They probably can get units, but refuse to sell them at normal price. They maybe sell them through some other channels for the current premium.

Either that or they refuse to pay the premium and are waiting for normal priced units to come out. Doubt it though considering Japanese stores were selling them at RRP, don't see how they couldn't get a hold of some at RRP.

TehOh

Yeah, after no word from them for weeks (my order still says shipping on March 13th), I sent them another e-mail.

Here was their non-response:
Hi Gregory,

thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

I am very sorry. We still haven't received any news about receiving the
stock. If there are any news, we will contact you. For the time being, I
kindly request for your patience and understanding. Thanks!

In case of any further question please do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Best regards,

Michelle
Play-Asia.com

Quick question. I don't know if this has been answered here or not but, can I go online with games that I already played online on my regular DS on a new DS Lite?

ViDnEz

Oni Link 666 said:
Quick question. I don't know if this has been answered here or not but, can I go online with games that I already played online on my regular DS on a new DS Lite?

Yes, you only need to transfer all the Wi-Fi settings to the new DS with the Download Play function.

Lyte Edge

So it's friday night now....

More DS systems tomorrow?

ziran said:
according to www.gamefront.de nintendo wants to ship more than 700,000 ds lites to retail in april.

That's good to hear, but I'll believe it when I see DS Lites on the shelves. :)

Lyte Edge said:
So it's friday night now....

More DS systems tomorrow?

That's good to hear, but I'll believe it when I see DS Lites on the shelves. :)

I dont think theres another shipment until march 30th.. for what ive seen.

Lyte Edge

PezRadar said:

See, this sucks, because I'm not going to go to any stores tomorrow, and then that's when they're going to get some in. Just watch. :lol

But I suppose if this sacrifice means some other GAF peeps get some, it's all good.

PezRadar said:

Hmm, Nintendo plans to ship the same amount of DS Lites this week than they have last week, so there has to be a shipment ^^
Perhaps tomorrow as it was last week?

Lyte Edge

Frankfurter said:
Hmm, Nintendo plans to ship the same amount of DS Lites this week than they have last week, so there has to be a shipment ^^
Perhaps tomorrow as it was last week?

Well I guess it can't hurt to see if there's a line tomorrow morning...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
mutsu said:
And they shipped 550,000 DS Lite in March, higher than the previously projected 450,000 units.
WTF? Did half of them get lost in the mail or something? :lol

gprime

This is weird. I didn't get charged a cent in custom fees, even those the guy truthfully put what I paid for it ($180 USD). Yet.. I've had some eBay sellers put games as $1 and check it off as a "gift" and I still get raped by customs.

The same thing happened with my JP PSP too. Strange?

Oh yeah, and this thing IS sexy. Damn.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I have a question that needs answering in relation to importing the DS Lite.

Will I be able to use the AC adapter from the original DS with the DS Lite when recharging the battery, or is the connection on the DS physically different or does it have different voltage requirements?

I ask because if I import a DS Lite from America or Japan, the AC adapter that comes with it wont fit the power sockets on the wall here in Australia. Sure I could get an adapter, but I'd rather not.

cvxfreak

Scrow said:
I have a question that needs answering in relation to importing the DS Lite.

Will I be able to use the AC adapter from the original DS with the DS Lite when recharging the battery, or is the connection on the DS physically different or does it have different voltage requirements?

I ask because if I import a DS Lite from America or Japan, the AC adapter that comes with it wont fit the power sockets on the wall here in Australia. Sure I could get an adapter, but I'd rather not.

The Lite uses a completely different AC adapter than the original DS or GBASP. So you'll need a voltage adapter until the Australian release proper.

Top Bottom