• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official DS Lite Japanese Launch Thread!

Memles

Out of curiosity, do people appear to be buying much in the way of software with them? Just curious as to how this is spiking software sales, if at all, and whether or not CoM is moving with them.

If anything, this hardware shortage really wastes an opportunity to boost software...not that it needs it, but it would still be good for Nintendo.

ant1532 said:
doesnt look like much of a shortage... (behind the clerks)

dssin03.jpg

:D

That's some cool work gear....

Sho Nuff

Banned
ant1532 said:
doesnt look like much of a shortage... (behind the clerks)

That's sarcasm, right?

It's sold out. Trawl all you like, they are gone. A friend stood in line with about 450 people, and the store got in 30. Oops.

optimiss

Lik-sang better not double their prices. I preordered mine on January 27th, the day after it was announced, so I'll be mad as hell if I don't get one.

ant1532

Banned
optimiss said:
Lik-sang better not double their prices. I preordered mine on January 27th, the day after it was announced, so I'll be mad as hell if I don't get one.

Lik-sang already stated that they would NOT double the prices. also you pretty much got your golden ticket, so no worries.

also a week ago, Lik-sang posted this

You can also expect the first batch of units to ship out on or before D-Day from our warehouse to those happy gamers who got in line earliest.

Also, i would appreciate it if you would check your order status mine says "Order received - waiting for item(s) to arrive"

What does ures say?

optimiss

ant1532 said:
Lik-sang already stated that they would NOT double the prices. also you pretty much got your golden ticket, so no worries.

Also, i would appreciate it if you would check your order status mine says "Order received - waiting for item(s) to arrive"

What does ures say?

The same thing. Thanks for the reassurance though. Hopefully either they have shipped them without updating the website (not likely) or they will soon.

ant1532 said:

What does ures say?

that was not an official statement so i would be weary of relying on it as fact.

The same thing. Thanks for the reassurance though. Hopefully either they have shipped them without updating the website (not likely) or they will soon.

It is barely past noon there. if you are shipping today (doubtful) its not likely to be shown.

LONG Report from this morning - Ichikawa ToysRus. (just skip it if it's too long for your attention span....)

Yesterday evening a cold rain took hold of Tokyo with suburbs, preparing pods and pools of cool water to annoy people lining up for the launch day. I chose to go to ToysRUs in Ichikawa (a suburb to Tokyo). ToysRUs apparently has some trouble with getting their finances in the black (fiscal year ending on March 31st) and managed to convince Nintendo to ship them massive amount of units, probably thanks to some lobbying including strong words on support in the US market for Nintendo. Thus the store I went to, were able to announce that 120 units would be in starting sales at 10:00am today (thursday). No pre-bookings.

Japanese sites, such as price comparison sites have had a surge of typical non-gamers, people who never have queued up for a game software or hardware release before, asking questions about what timing would be necessary. Considering the extreme demand for DS in general, and crazy appetite for DS Lite, I decided to go early.

Joining the queue at a few minutes past 04:00am, I first couldn't see any people in line, and thought I was at the wrong place. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I could see people sitting on now half-wet cardboard sheets, portable chairs, or just standing in front of the store. With only around 5-8 degrees C in the air, I was amazed also at the type of people in line. There were families with small kids, typical Akiba Otaku game freaks, Grand-pa's and Grand-ma's and a few younger couples. All in all I counted about 40 people in front of me in the line.

Beside me sat a young office lady in her early twenties, literally freezing her &"#% off, in suit jacket, thin coat and skirt (OMG - what was she thinkng?) and only a fleece blanket to protect....

Having brought my best Swedish outfit good for double-digit minus degrees, I held out well, but couldn't help feel sorry and a bit angry at Nintendo and ToysRus for the shortages, and inability to open the store up early. By 0630am the quota of 120 units was matched by the number of people in line. At the count they actually had to ask the last 10 people or so from the queue to leave, although they had queued for a good 45 minutes in the cold. Cards with queue numbers were handed out. I was at number 42. Chatting with number 41 kept us busy for an hour or so, and we took turns to go buy heated cans of coffee and tea.

Eventhough it was clear at 0700 who would be doing the buying of these precious units, the store didn't open until 1000, 6 hours after having arrived on location.

At 0800 ToysRUs staff handed out insurance pamphlets for everyone (the usual expensive one with questionable coverage for things that are often already covered for by the manufacturer) Not many people took up on their offer though it seems.

The most popular Joint purchase people made were protection film (Hori) for Lite. A lot of Brain Age (Second serving) was purchased, as well as other non-non-games - Mana, Animal, Puzzlink.

People seemed very very happy to have the unit in their hands, and the staff was very friendly. A long wait for a second iteration of an existing system, but looking at the composition of the people in line, many were first time users - tempted by the non-games getting immense publicity.

In any case, it was worth the wait.

ant1532

Banned
winston_pr said:
LONG Report from this morning - Ichikawa ToysRus. (just skip it if it's too long for your attention span....)

Yesterday evening a cold rain took hold of Tokyo with suburbs, preparing pods and pools of cool water to annoy people lining up for the launch day. I chose to go to ToysRUs in Ichikawa (a suburb to Tokyo). ToysRUs apparently has some trouble with getting their finances in the black (fiscal year ending on March 31st) and managed to convince Nintendo to ship them massive amount of units, probably thanks to some lobbying including strong words on support in the US market for Nintendo. Thus the store I went to, were able to announce that 120 units would be in starting sales at 10:00am today (thursday). No pre-bookings.

Japanese sites, such as price comparison sites have had a surge of typical non-gamers, people who never have queued up for a game software or hardware release before, asking questions about what timing would be necessary. Considering the extreme demand for DS in general, and crazy appetite for DS Lite, I decided to go early.

Joining the queue at a few minutes past 04:00am, I first couldn't see any people in line, and thought I was at the wrong place. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I could see people sitting on now half-wet cardboard sheets, portable chairs, or just standing in front of the store. With only around 5-8 degrees C in the air, I was amazed also at the type of people in line. There were families with small kids, typical Akiba Otaku game freaks, Grand-pa's and Grand-ma's and a few younger couples. All in all I counted about 40 people in front of me in the line.

Beside me sat a young office lady in her early twenties, literally freezing her &"#% off, in suit jacket, thin coat and skirt (OMG - what was she thinkng?) and only a fleece blanket to protect....

Having brought my best Swedish outfit good for double-digit minus degrees, I held out well, but couldn't help feel sorry and a bit angry at Nintendo and ToysRus for the shortages, and inability to open the store up early. By 0630am the quota of 120 units was matched by the number of people in line. At the count they actually had to ask the last 10 people or so from the queue to leave, although they had queued for a good 45 minutes in the cold. Cards with queue numbers were handed out. I was at number 42. Chatting with number 41 kept us busy for an hour or so, and we took turns to go buy heated cans of coffee and tea.

Eventhough it was clear at 0700 who would be doing the buying of these precious units, the store didn't open until 1000, 6 hours after having arrived on location.

At 0800 ToysRUs staff handed out insurance pamphlets for everyone (the usual expensive one with questionable coverage for things that are often already covered for by the manufacturer) Not many people took up on their offer though it seems.

The most popular Joint purchase people made were protection film (Hori) for Lite. A lot of Brain Age (Second serving) was purchased, as well as other non-non-games - Mana, Animal, Puzzlink.

People seemed very very happy to have the unit in their hands, and the staff was very friendly. A long wait for a second iteration of an existing system, but looking at the composition of the people in line, many were first time users - tempted by the non-games getting immense publicity.

very very very nice report!

also, I think Lik-sang is screwed up updating the status's of people's ds lite orders, because it would say they got their shipment in and our ready to ship, but it doesnt even say that yet. They would have to have their shipment by now...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jasper said:
SONY HAVE GOT BE SHITTING THEIR PANTS RIGHT ABOUT NOW!
you made an account just to say this? btw caps and bold does not make your post important ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
Excellent report winston.

So Brain Training 2, Animal Crossing, Mana and Puzzlink are selling well.
BT2 (1,342,757) to pass 1.5 million in the next MC chart? AC (1,957,677) will easily pass 2 million in the next chart.

BuG

ant1532 said:
Is that Miyamoto all the way on the right in the green jacket?? :lol
:lol And Satoru Iwata hiding behind the sign?

But WTF, Japan!? It's not even a new system, what the freakin' hell?

winston_pr said:

Nice coverage man. Did you offer to buy the freezing lady a coffee as well? :) BTW, are the Hori screen protectors specifically made for the new hardware? I believe I saw some photos but I can't recall.

ant1532

Banned
Also on the Hori screen protectors, im definatley thinking about importing the ds lite ones(even though i know the others work as well)

But i have a couple questions(about the hori screen protectors)

1) how are they?

2) Does it leave bubbles?

3) How visible is it on the screen?

4) Does it reduce the sence of touch at all? I want to play Metroid prime with the thumbstrap.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Jonny:

Comparison picss of all 20 different combinations of PSP & DSL brightness settings please. :p (PSP has 4, DSL has 5, right?)

Thank you.

Top Bottom