• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable! (released tomorrow)

Prine

Banned
Is there anyway to cancel quests you may accidently agreed on?

Its the one when you help the bandits stop some leaders execution, i dont want to help the bandits

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
because then he'd fail the mission, he should have taken the "help the guards execute the bandit" quest instead.

No idea if you can cancel the mission, without reverting to a save before you accepted it, sorry.

Prine

Banned
God dammit, i dont want evil point! Argh, ok, i'll help them out, i feel sorry for the guards :(

Especially now that i've pulled out the sword in the stone. Packs quite a punch.

The more I play this game the more I think that the reviews saying that it is a 16-18 hour game are utter bullshit.

I've played it for 21 hours now and I have just gotten to the arena. Yeah, I've screwed around a lot - I walk pretty much everywhere, I hang out in the bars and drink beer, I fish a lot, I rob houses, I kill everyone I see outside of towns, I bang my wife everytime I go home, I dig for treasure, I participate in the fight clubs, I try to get into the demon doors, etc., etc.

But, my proof for them rushing through the game is the sword stuck in the stone. There is no way anyone can convince me that any of those reviewers who said the game was short got that sword out. You basically have to be a level 8 in physical, 6 or 7 in toughness, and 5 or 6 in health. That's a shit load of experience points folks - close to 500,000. There's absolutely no way any of them played long enough to get that many experience points. No way.

Pimpbaa

siamesedreamer said:
The more I play this game the more I think that the reviews saying that it is a 16-18 hour game are utter bullshit.

I've played it for 21 hours now and I have just gotten to the arena. Yeah, I've screwed around a lot - I walk pretty much everywhere, I hang out in the bars and drink beer, I fish a lot, I rob houses, I kill everyone I see outside of towns, I bang my wife everytime I go home, I dig for treasure, I participate in the fight clubs, I try to get into the demon doors, etc., etc.

But, my proof for them rushing through the game is the sword stuck in the stone. There is no way anyone can convince me that any of those reviewers who said the game was short got that sword out. You basically have to be a level 8 in physical, 6 or 7 in toughness, and 5 or 6 in health. That's a shit load of experience points folks - close to 500,000. There's absolutely no way any of them played long enough to get that many experience points. No way.

I had played the game for 12 hours by the time i got that sword out. It doesn't take long at all. I finished the game at 14 hours, and thats with lots of screwing around. The game is short, very short.

The most fun I've had with an RPG in ages, but I think I've had my fill. Going to sell it on ebay before it plummets below $50 CAD on there. I didn't pay a penny for the game in the first place, so it will be a nice little score (trade 3 deal at EB). I must say it's quite impressive that an RPG had me hooked for any amount of time, let alone 30+ hours between two savegames. I think I'm just going to steer clear of the genre from now on. I think I've personally "outgrown" it. Perhaps Fable 2 will offer more challenge and a more flowing overworld.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
siamesedreamer said:

Fable is extremely subjective in play time to a degree. People who say they "did everything and finished in 12 hours" may have "done everything" in terms of finding all the silver keys and opening the demon doors, but I tend to suspect they've only done the absolute minimum required to "do everything". On one hand, Fable simply does not have enough Core Quests, and could use some repeatable Silver (optional) Quests instead of one-shot deals. However, if you actually play in the sandbox of the game, you can invest a hella lot of time before you know it. And playing in the sandbox doesn't mean killing some guards, breaking into one house, and marrying one person for the hell of it and then ignoring them. In its current state Fable is is a little bit too much in the direction of "forced fun"... making it last by screwing around with stuff. However it's still a great game because that screwing around is pretty interesting. Also, how much people get out of it depends on how much self-dicipline they put into playing it - Johnny Powergamer may use a few EXP exploits (they exist) to rack up a jillion EXP and max all his stats out instantly. It's a lot more fun however, to TRY and be a warrior, archer, pure mage, or assassin/thief. A few simple tweaks to the EXP system could've settled a lot of this and made people think more about what they wanted to be instead of just buying everything to have it.

Prine

Banned
Completed it in 25 hours as good (not good all the way tough). I opened about 5 demon doors and 1 silver treasure chest.

Im going through it again right now, should hopefully complete everything, even collecting the dolls.

Blacklion

I'm 14hrs in and I just started my 8th quest.
My guy (archer theif) is also 46 yrs old?

gotta go n sacrafice some more towns folk to get some youth back I guess.

Great ride tho just bought a house.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pimpbaa said:
I had played the game for 12 hours by the time i got that sword out. It doesn't take long at all. I finished the game at 14 hours, and thats with lots of screwing around. The game is short, very short.

My final playtime was around 32 hours and there is still plenty I haven't done.

At about 18 hours into my 2nd game I no longer felt compelled to open all the demon doors and collect all the dolls, because there is no point to them. At best you find new weapons, but there is noone to fight anyway, so what is the point?

12 hours? Damn... My first playthrough was just over 29 hours... My second was just over 14. My third is a work in progress. Barring any sort of major new development, in terms of new secrets and such, my third will probably be my last. I hope that expansion pack is revealed officially soon.

shpankey

not an idiot
Seth C said:
Stories of evil, you say? Okay, how about this one....

On the afternoon of my sixth day I met an older gentlmean in the Browerstone Quay. He convinced me to get a puddin' hair cut, mutton chops, and a trader mustache with the promise of introducing me to his daughter. After satisfying his requests, he laughed at me and said he had no daughter, that it had all been a joke because he liked to make heroes look stupid. I proceeded to beat him with my bare fists for the rest of the evening, all night, and in to day 7. During that time I progressed from slightly evil to completely evil, grew massive horns, and lost my hair. Using his body as a punching bag I earned a combat multiplier of 25 and over 50,000 strength experience points. I wouldn't have stopped when I did but I needed to pee.

Edit: After going back to the game and unpausing it I was able to continue the beating. I'm now at a multiplier of 48 and over 102,000 experience. How much experience do I need to max out my strength attributes? Hmmm....

Edit 2: The beating continues on to the second night. 65 multiplier and over 200,000 strength experience.

Edit 3: 305,000 experience with a multiplier of 80. Yes, I'm getting 80 experience for each punch.

:lol

Did I do something wrong? I beat Jack of Blades...And watches the ending credits and all, and the game saved. After that, I turned my Xbox off. Today, I went back to roam around and I'm stuck inside the Guild of Heroes. The fire is gone, and so are all the people, all the entrances are still blocked by stone, and the blue gate isn't active. So am I stuck here, having to start a new game or what? Is it like this for everyone?

siamesedreamer said:
I've played it for 21 hours now and I have just gotten to the arena.

I just beat the Arena, and my clock's at 6:40.

I just don't "get" Fable, I suppose. I have no desire to screw around in town, buy land, try to marry someone. It doesn't really affect the quest or my character, so why bother? I'm also really disappointed how everyone in the town is the "same" nameless townsperson. With no differences between the people, there's no reason (for me) to pursue one over the other.

And yes, I know that people will say "well you're rushing through the game and that's why you're not enjoying it!" But I think that stopping to spend time playing a dumbed down version of Sims/Animal Crossing would just bore me further. I'm probably not going to finish the game.

That said, I'm still curious about Fable 2. There's a lot of good ideas in Fable - just not much content.

Top Bottom