• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr.City said:
Circus peanuts are disgusting
My grandpa bought them for me when I was little. You got a problem with my grandpa?

BlueTsunami said:
Oh I also did Squats and Leg Presses then jumped to the back (Rows and Pulldowns). In the post I just pointed out the Bicep workout I did.
Gotcha. Sounds great.

Looking for suggestions to add to my mix of available back workouts.

I currently do squats, bench press, dumbbell shrugs, dumbbell rows, and chin-ups. Any other possible back exercises that I'm missing out on (deadlift being the major one, I assume)?

Soka said:

I currently do squats, bench press, dumbbell shrugs, dumbbell rows, and chin-ups. Any other possible back exercises that I'm missing out on (deadlift being the major one, I assume)?

I'd do barbell rows instead of dumbbell rows. Power shrugs instead of dumbbell shrugs. And for a back workout, yeah, some sort of deadlifts would be good. Don't know why squats are in there.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mr.City said:
Circus peanuts are disgusting

i know i keep bringing it up as if it were my gimmick or something, but it's not my intention. however, i just thought i'd toss out there that for any fans of lucky charms, the original idea behind lucky charms was combining the regular cereal base with circus peanuts, not tailor-made marshmallows. i just thought that was kind of cool.

been doing some mostly upper body stuff after my runs: barbell bench, hammer curls, curls, clean and press, pectoral flies, military bench, etc. nothing insane, just trying to start from scratch and build. iirc from my heavy weight lifting days, i should gradually bump the weight up over the course of my workouts (adding 5-10 pounds every week or two or something?), even if that means fewer reps, if i want to build some muscle. am i wrong about this? help me, muscle people.

Barrett2

How accurate are charts that tell you how to estimate your max lift based on repetitions of a lower weight?

I don't want to actually do a single rep max on the bench press, mostly because I only have time to lift two or three times a week, and don't want to waste energy on a single rep. I found a few charts online that give a max estimate based on reps of lower weight, but I don't know how accurate they are.

Soka said:

Best back exercise no one seems to know about: pullups from a flat ledge. I call them Ninja Warrior pullups, but whatever. I do them from the overhead bar that connects the pulley stations, and I make certain to keep my fingers flat on the top of the bar and not let them curl across the front.

I now do them with extra weights. I really feel like my whole upper body has become much stronger since I've been doing them.

lawblob said:
How accurate are charts that tell you how to estimate your max lift based on repetitions of a lower weight?

I don't want to actually do a single rep max on the bench press, mostly because I only have time to lift two or three times a week, and don't want to waste energy on a single rep. I found a few charts online that give a max estimate based on reps of lower weight, but I don't know how accurate they are.
Meh. The ratio of your 5 rep max and your 1 rep max depends on your bodytype. If you're built to be able to do lots of reps, then the max weight on the chart will be too high. If you're a powerlifter-type who can do one rep for as much weight as you want [exaggerating], the chart will be too low.

Doing maxes all the time is silly and dangerous, though. If all you want is an estimate, use the chart. If you need a good accurate number, you'll have to test yourself.

beelzebozo said:
been doing some mostly upper body stuff after my runs: barbell bench, hammer curls, curls, clean and press, pectoral flies, military bench, etc. nothing insane, just trying to start from scratch and build. iirc from my heavy weight lifting days, i should gradually bump the weight up over the course of my workouts (adding 5-10 pounds every week or two or something?), even if that means fewer reps, if i want to build some muscle. am i wrong about this? help me, muscle people.

Eh, yeah, it's not really that simple, though. How many reps are you doing? The following is generally true:

Strength: 1-3 reps at 90-100% of 1RM
Hypertrophy: 8-12 reps at 65-80% of 1RM
Power: 3-5 reps at 50-75% of 1RM (speed of rep is important here)

In between, you have your 5RM at 85-90% of 1RM. In training, if you were doing sets of 5, you'd probably use 75-80% of your 1RM to keep training stimulus sufficient but also not burn yourself out.

Jumping 5-10 lbs a week will work for a while, but soon progress will stop. What are you going to do then?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Mr. Snrub said:
Eh, yeah, it's not really that simple, though.

it never is!

How many reps are you doing?

usually 5-8.

The following is generally true:

Strength: 1-3 reps at 90-100% of 1RM
Hypertrophy: 8-12 reps at 65-80% of 1RM
Power: 3-5 reps at 50-75% of 1RM (speed of rep is important here)

In between, you have your 5RM at 85-90% of 1RM. In training, if you were doing sets of 5, you'd probably use 75-80% of your 1RM to keep training stimulus sufficient but also not burn yourself out.

Jumping 5-10 lbs a week will work for a while, but soon progress will stop. What are you going to do then?

i'm presuming RM is my maximum for one rep? in which case i'm nowhere near pushing that yet. and, to be clear, i'm not exactly looking to increase my max lifts drastically so much as just build upper body muscle (though i suppose the two go hand in hand). in other words, if i plateau, that's ultimately okay with me to a point, since i'm not looking to increase my strength ad infinitum. i'm foremost a runner, but i wanted your guys' advice about how to make incremental increases to my strength without getting injured.

and that's what i got! thanks :)

lawblob said:

Eh, they're really not that accurate, I wouldn't depend on them. Besides, the only people who really need to be concerned with 1RM are usually powerlifters. You will RARELY, if ever, use your 1RM if you aren't competing.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i've been wearing these and they've done wonders for my dead lifts

22gh29.jpg

and if you sand them down, splinters will be minimal.

beelzebozo said:
i'm presuming RM is my maximum for one rep? in which case i'm nowhere near pushing that yet. and, to be clear, i'm not exactly looking to increase my max lifts drastically so much as just build upper body muscle (though i suppose the two go hand in hand). in other words, if i plateau, that's ultimately okay with me to a point, since i'm not looking to increase my strength ad infinitum. i'm foremost a runner, but i wanted your guys' advice about how to make incremental increases to my strength without getting injured.

and that's what i got! thanks :)

Well, regardless, once your body adapts to a weight, you're not going to make any progress on it anymore, so you WILL have to get stronger. What a shame, eh?

If you're going for hypertrophy, go for 8-12 reps.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Hope you guys excuse me for not plowing through a 35-page thread, but.. Anyone well-versed in running? Turns out I've been running in pretty crappy shoes for about half a year. Went to a good store were I did some running test on a threadmill while they filmed the way i place my foots (I have no idea if I'm using the correct terminology here, English isn't my native language). Turns out I overpronate so they advised me shoes that compensate for this. I however already had irritated lower legs. I've had shin splints before due to excessive amounts of playing squash without building up.

Question is, I read one of the reasons for getting shin splints can be changing of soft/hard ground. I live pretty close to a park so usually I run from my house to the park, through the park, and back home. The part running to the park and back home is all hard pavement/concrete, while the park is mostly soft soil. I think my route is around 3.5 k, of which probably 1k is concrete. Can the difference between hard ground/soft ground in my route be a reason for shin splint? None of the sources I found online are really specific about this (ie if you should avoid the changing of hard/soft ground within one run or if it's more important to no switch abruptly from usually running on one type to another). I hope to be able to run again in a couple of weeks, and the new shoes hopefully will help prevent getting shin splints again, but I wouldn't want to make the same mistake again and getting injured again since shin splints really suck.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Since people seem to be posting their routines, here's my current one:

1: squats, pull ups, overhead press, dips, abs, sl deadlift
2: squats, deadlifts, fly, rear delt row, abs, bicep curl
3: squats, row, incline press, shoulder raise, abs, tricep extension

All sets are 5x5 except deadlifts which are 2 sets of 5. Are SL deadlifts considered useful at all? It seemed like the best exercise I could find for the back of my legs and it doesn't appear knee-heavy at all. Also, I realized I can do dips with ~25 lbs attached, but can barely make it through 5 overhand, wide grip pullups. Are my triceps seriously stronger than my back? I have really been going about this wrong.

Trident said:
Since people seem to be posting their routines, here's my current one:

1: squats, pull ups, overhead press, dips, abs, sl deadlift
2: squats, deadlifts, fly, rear delt row, abs, bicep curl
3: squats, row, incline press, shoulder raise, abs, tricep extension

All sets are 5x5 except deadlifts which are 2 sets of 5. Are SL deadlifts considered useful at all? It seemed like the best exercise I could find for the back of my legs and it doesn't appear knee-heavy at all. Also, I realized I can do dips with ~25 lbs attached, but can barely make it through 5 overhand, wide grip pullups. Are my triceps seriously stronger than my back? I have really been going about this wrong.

Nice routine. Yeah, SL or Romanian deadlifts (I'm partial to Romanian's, myself) are great for your hams and don't involve much/any knee extension.

My triceps are much stronger than my biceps. Pretty sure that's normal.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ok, about Milk, does it matter if its Whole Milk or 2%? Is there Nutrience in Whole Milk thats not in 2%? I'm willing to drink either one but I would rather stick with 2% due to Whole Milks high Saturated Fat content.

BlueTsunami said:
Ok, about Milk, does it matter if its Whole Milk or 2%? Is there Nutrience in Whole Milk thats not in 2%? I'm willing to drink either one but I would rather stick with 2% due to Whole Milks high Saturated Fat content.

Whole Milk is just better for gaining weight. And saturated fat is not a bad thing.

BlueTsunami

Mr. Snrub said:
Whole Milk is just better for gaining weight. And saturated fat is not a bad thing.

Hmmm, I'm actually reading Bodybuilding.com and yeah, the fats in Milk are beneficial. Real interesting. Its crazy how being introduced to basic nutrition blows away a bunch of preconceptions about whats bad and whats good. No wonder this country (US) is as overweight and generally unhealthy as it is.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/the_200_rep_challenge

Interesting type of workout here. Very simple: do 100 dips and 100 pullups. Go home [and weep, one suspects].

Trident said:
Also, I realized I can do dips with ~25 lbs attached, but can barely make it through 5 overhand, wide grip pullups. Are my triceps seriously stronger than my back? I have really been going about this wrong.
I suspect that the mechanics of the dip just make them easier than pullups. I have a very strong back, and dips are still easier for me.

BlueTsunami

Captain Glanton said:
http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/the_200_rep_challenge

Interesting type of workout here. Very simple: do 100 dips and 100 pullups. Go home [and weep, one suspects].

I suspect that the mechanics of the dip just make them easier than pullups. I have a very strong back, and dips are still easier for me.

T-Nation said:
• If you can count the number of chin-ups or dips you can get on just one hand, then try for 50 reps of each instead of 100. (By the way, the best exercise for increasing your chin-ups is the Push Away From the Dinner Table You Fat Bastard.)

:lol

BlueTsunami said:
I love T-Nation. Here's Atomic Dog's advice to the guy who comes up to you, asking to help him get in shape.

Atomic Dog said:
"Want to lose that beer belly, Bob? I have a nutty idea. Put down the fucking beer. I'll tell you what, Bob. Christmas morning I'm getting up real early and hitting the iron. I want to watch my daughter open her presents and spend the whole day with her, so this is the only time I have to train. The gym will be closed, so I'm going out in my garage to workout. You be at my house at six in the morning, okay? I'll be glad to help you get started on a weight training program. It'll be colder than Hillary Clinton's coochie in there, so dress warm.

"But let me tell you something, Bob. If you don't show up, don't bother asking me again. And don't you ever sit there and let me hear you bitch about your beer belly again. This is your chance, your big opportunity to break out of that rut. If you don't show up, Bob, you've learned a very important lesson about yourself, haven't you? You won't like that lesson.

Started running again on Friday after a very successful last summer (was able to do half marathons). I had a terrible first run, stopping 5 times or so in my 3.5 mile run. Was very sore the next day and was worried that I wouldn't be able to get back in the swing of things like last summer.

Thankfully I went out again Sunday and had a great 3.25 miles under a half hour with no stops. It was cooler outside so that may have helped. Now I'm excited to go out again today.

BlueTsunami said:
Hmmm, I'm actually reading Bodybuilding.com and yeah, the fats in Milk are beneficial. Real interesting. Its crazy how being introduced to basic nutrition blows away a bunch of preconceptions about whats bad and whats good. No wonder this country (US) is as overweight and generally unhealthy as it is.

Yeeeeah...exactly.

Always keep this in mind: the FDA is more of a business/corporation than anything else. Look to private companies/professionals for information on diet requirements, not mass produced data that is controlled by companies.

Sandman7

Is yogurt a good substitute for milk after a workout? I figured yogurt is just milk with bacteria in it anyway so it would be good but I would like some opinions (since I love yogurt). Btw I am talking about 'normal' yogurt - not Fruit Corners etc.

Sandman7 said:
Is yogurt a good substitute for milk after a workout? I figured yogurt is just milk with bacteria in it anyway so it would be good but I would like some opinions (since I love yogurt). Btw I am talking about 'normal' yogurt - not Fruit Corners etc.

I don't know. How much yogurt are you willing to eat?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
well I just started trying to lose the fat I've gained since moving to europe and living off the 'I"M ON VACATION' excuse for 2 1/2 years. been running for 20 minutes at 175bpm heart rate for the last 2 weeks to break myself in, today I went for my first 40 minute run.

Felt great! I used to run 5km in 30minutes 3-4 times a week and want to work back to that, cause I started dropping fat when doing that.

I also do press ups with some bars and situps nightly/every second night. Thats enough for now I think.

TehOh

I gained a ton of weight the past few months (I've been going through a pretty deep depression, but I'll spare the details) and decided that I need to try to lose some of it.

Got off to a pretty good start. I've been walking home from class (about 2 miles) as often as possible and I've been trying to eat better. No drastic changes (I've had no luck keeping that up in the past), but small things to start. Eating better food, dropping non-diet soda (which I will probably drop soon as well, trying to ween away some of the caffeine addiction), not eating lunch, things like that.

Hoping for the best. Any good advice?

Sandman7 said:
A lot. I like yogurt :p

I don't know that you could consume enough to get enough protein. You really need a good protein portion after you work out to aid in protein synthesis.

Milk for me:

Take a 4 Cup Capacity thermos full of milk with me to work in the morning
Drinking 3 Cups of milk at lunch
Mix 3 cups of milk with two scoops of Maximus post-workout mix in thermos
Drink 3 cups of milk with dinner

Might have a little more. That's 13 cups...I think there's 16 cups total in a gallon of Milk.

It does a body good.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
somewhere a dairy farmer is masturbating to this page of the thread while sitting on a bean bag stuffed full of hundred dollar bills

Slo

I've been dieting for exactly 1 month now, and I feel like absolute shit. I'm down to 184 from 191, with a noticeable amount of fat loss, but I'm not all that impressed with my results and I'm still plenty soft. My energy levels are low, I feel frail, and I leave the weight room feeling like the I just got into a car accident.

What should I do, GAF? I'm getting between 7-8 hours of sleep a night, at least a gallon of water a day, 2200 cals and atleast 180 grams of protein.

Can someone please volunteer to lift the weights for me?

Slo said:
I've been dieting for exactly 1 month now, and I feel like absolute shit. I'm down to 184 from 191, with a noticeable amount of fat loss, but I'm not all that impressed with my results and I'm still plenty soft. My energy levels are low, I feel frail, and I leave the weight room feeling like the I just got into a car accident.

What should I do, GAF? I'm getting between 7-8 hours of sleep a night, at least a gallon of water a day, 2200 cals and atleast 180 grams of protein.

How tall are you?

And what's your full routine? Sounds like you're burning out.

TehOh said:
I gained a ton of weight the past few months (I've been going through a pretty deep depression, but I'll spare the details) and decided that I need to try to lose some of it.

Got off to a pretty good start. I've been walking home from class (about 2 miles) as often as possible and I've been trying to eat better. No drastic changes (I've had no luck keeping that up in the past), but small things to start. Eating better food, dropping non-diet soda (which I will probably drop soon as well, trying to ween away some of the caffeine addiction), not eating lunch, things like that.

Hoping for the best. Any good advice?
First, it's good that you're trying to change things. But, for the minimum of a start-up period, start walking a few miles in the evening in addition to what you're doing now, and make sure that you eat all three meals, and only eat clean food [real food, not frozen or junk food] at each meal.

Once you've been doing that for a month or two, come back and we'll talk. Good luck.

Slo said:

thor_1.jpg

satori

Mr. Snrub said:
How tall are you?

Also what type of food are you eating? And are allowing your body to recover after each work out before hitting the gym or at the very least same musle group? I am not sure how much of that weight is water weight but that is not bad for 1 month to be honest. But seriously you should feel energize after a month worth of work outs, something is up...

Slo

Mr. Snrub said:
How tall are you?

I'm 5'10. My routine is somewhat fluid and based on what's not sore on any given day, but I usually use an upper/lower split featuring power lifting movements. Since the start of my diet I've replaced a lot of the foofy exersizes with about 20 minutes of cardio.

This is just an example.

Mon: Deads are featured, lunges, shrugs, or step-ups on the side. Cardio.
Tues: A pressing movement (flat, overhead, incline, etc), with a row variant, bicep and tricep work. Cardio
Wed: Off
Thurs: A squat variant is the main course. Shrugs, calves, abs, etc. Cardio.
Friday: A rowing movement (chins, barbell/dumbell rows, etc), a pressing movement, bicep and tricep work. Cardio.
Sat and Sun: Off

Slo

satori said:
Also what type of food are you eating? And are allowing your body to recover after each work out before hitting the gym or at the very least same musle group? I am not sure how much of that weight is water weight but that is not bad for 1 month to be honest. But seriously you should feel energize after a month worth of work outs, something is up...

This is what I've eaten so far today. It's only about 1250 cals, but the day is only half done so I'm on target. Sorry the table is messy, it doesn't transfer well from fitday. Format is cals, fat g, carb g, protein g. It looks like today I'm running low on fat grams.

Code:
	Oatmeal, cooked, regular, fat not added in cooking  195 	 3 	 34 	 8
	Banana, raw 			138 	1 	35 	2
	Optimum N. Whey Chocolate 		240 	2 	6 	48
	Tenderbird 4 oz Chicken Fillet 		360 	11 	0 	63
	Broccoli, cooked, from frozen, fat not added in cooking 	27 	0 	5 	3
	Apple, raw 		125 	1 	32 	0
	Jack's Beef Jerky 		160 	1 	6 	30
Totals 	                        1245(cals) 	18(g/fat) 	119(g/carb) 	154(g/protein)

Edit: Also not noted is the quantity I've eaten. For example, I've eaten 3 servings of the 4oz chicken fillet, which totals 360 cals. It's misleading.

Slo said:
I'm 5'10. My routine is somewhat fluid and based on what's not sore on any given day, but I usually use an upper/lower split featuring power lifting movements. Since the start of my diet I've replaced a lot of the foofy exersizes with about 20 minutes of cardio.

This is just an example.

Mon: Deads are featured, lunges, shrugs, or step-ups on the side. Cardio.
Tues: A pressing movement (flat, overhead, incline, etc), with a row variant, bicep and tricep work. Cardio
Wed: Off
Thurs: A squat variant is the main course. Shrugs, calves, abs, etc. Cardio.
Friday: A rowing movement (chins, barbell/dumbell rows, etc), a pressing movement, bicep and tricep work. Cardio.
Sat and Sun: Off

Honestly, at your height, your weight is fine, and I wouldn't try to lose any more weight. Instead, start "replacing" that muscle with fat (NOTE: YOU CANNOT TURN FAT INTO MUSCLE, ANY NOOBS WHO READ THIS). What sort of rep schemes are you using?

Your routine actually doesn't look bad, but your set/rep scheme could change everything.

Slo

Mr. Snrub said:
Honestly, at your height, your weight is fine, and I wouldn't try to lose any more weight. Instead, start "replacing" that muscle with fat (NOTE: YOU CANNOT TURN FAT INTO MUSCLE, ANY NOOBS WHO READ THIS). What sort of rep schemes are you using?

Your routine actually doesn't look bad, but your set/rep scheme could change everything.

I generally do a 5x5 scheme.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
isn't 184 around ten pounds overweight for someone who's 5'10"? i know there's a lot of talk around here that amounts to "muscle weighs more than fat" and all that, but generally speaking it takes quite a bit of buff to explain away not syncing up with the numbers, from what i understand. maybe i've been misinformed.

satori

Slo said:
This is what I've eaten so far today. It's only about 1250 cals, but the day is only half done so I'm on target. Sorry the table is messy, it doesn't transfer well from fitday. Format is cals, fat g, carb g, protein g. It looks like today I'm running low on fat grams.

I use fitday myself. Slo, you really need to up the calories. No one, and I mean no one can go on 1250 cal a day. Well maybe if all you are doing is laying in bed all day. But if you are going to the gym etc, you need to up the cal. I know it is counter-inturative but the less cal you eat, the more weight you will gain...eventually. Your body is in starvation mode right now. You will not lose any body fat, your body will start burning musle as fuel and save that fat.

Just start eating more whole foods. Lay off all process carbs, sugar, starch etc. For one your body will thank you. You will feel more energized. And you will have a better work out.

I will post an example of my fit day after my meeting. I can tell you I was 200 pounds. I did what you did and went to a 1500 cal diet and exercise, that crashed and burned. I am currently 160 by just cutting out those damn sugars and process carbs, and having a great work out program.

If you are wondering I am getting about 2100 cal a day eating 5-6 times a day.

Slo

beelzebozo said:
isn't 184 around ten pounds overweight for someone who's 5'10"? i know there's a lot of talk around here that amounts to "muscle weighs more than fat" and all that, but generally speaking it takes quite a bit of buff to explain away not syncing up with the numbers, from what i understand. maybe i've been misinformed.

To look at me, you wouldn't think that I'm a bodybuilder, but I'm comfortable saying that the chart doesn't apply to me. I'm just trying to finally lose that last little bit that I always seem to carry around.

Slo

satori said:
I use fitday myself. Slo, you really need to up the calories. No one, and I mean no one can go on 1250 cal a day.

If you are wondering I am getting about 2100 cal a day eating 5-6 times a day.

Day's only half over dude, I've got a couple meals left. :lol I said in my first post that I get 2200 a day. I usually maintain at about 3000.

Onemic

I just did a run around my crescent, and man did it take a whole lot out of me. Hopefully I can shed of around 20-30 by May 23.

Oh yeah, and glanton, she now says she isn't going to prom anymore.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
fair enough. i do think that's a little fib less built and more overweight people like to tell themselves on occasion, though--that all that sweet muscle they have is why they're not within the range, and that they can freely continue mainlining tubs of frosting

Mr. Snrub said:
What do you consider the correct type of shoes?

The powerlifters at my gym use the old school converse shoes. Flat at the bottom, so perfect for deadlifting or squating. Either thay or you can go barefoot.

P.S. So many people at gym have world records for benching, squating, and deadlifting. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom