• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanish

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I'm 6'0 170 pounds. I was close to 190 fall of last year but since Muscle Milk seriously f'ed up my face, I'm afraid to eat anything now:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/JackBau3r/002.jpg

(still a beginner at this whole bodybuilding thing...)

good job man, i want my stomach to be like this too, if not better. im 5'9 and 135 pounds and have a flat stomach but it still has some fat on it, even with all the aerobic excercise and partial dieting im doing (dont really have the resources to eat absolutely perfectly but i dont eat junk food either). i started doing HIIT last week too. how much more fat do i have to lose?? im light enough as it is.

ive been using this exercise machine at the gym, its called hammer something, i can lift 80 pounds with it using my abs, dont know if thats strong or not. just saying so you guys can have an idea on how developed my abs are...

Edit: edited the description a little bit...

Onemic

Vanish said:

good job man, i want my stomach to be like this too, if not better. im 5'9 and 135 pounds and still have a bit of a belly, even with all the aerobic excercise and partial dieting im doing (dont really have the resources to eat absolutely perfectly but i dont eat junk food either). i started doing HIIT last week too. how much more fat do i have to lose?? im light enough as it is.

ive been using this exercise machine at the gym, its called hammer something, i can lift 80 pounds with it using my abs, dont know if thats strong or not. just saying so you guys can have an idea on how developed my abs are...

Does not compute.

Vanish

lol maybe i should clear that up, my stomach is actually flat, but i still have some fat so my abs dont show, i can even grab it but its not too much though. hope that helps....

Vanish said:

good job man, i want my stomach to be like this too, if not better. im 5'9 and 135 pounds and still have a bit of a belly, even with all the aerobic excercise and partial dieting im doing (dont really have the resources to eat absolutely perfectly but i dont eat junk food either). i started doing HIIT last week too. how much more fat do i have to lose?? im light enough as it is.

5'9 and 135 is very, very light. If you're not seeing your abs the way that you want, sprint up some hills, do some crunches, do some heavy bag work. Make your abs do some old-fashioned work, see how they respond.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Just made myself a chicken burger with a giant chicken breast marinated in some sweet sauce the thing was fucking huge. :lol

MrToughPants said:
Just made myself a chicken burger with a giant chicken breast marinated in some sweet sauce the thing was fucking huge. :lol

163fs136697.jpg

Boogie

Diet questions.

Earlier in the thread, it seemed to me that people were saying that milk really shouldn't be a big part of one's diet, and in the last couple of pages, people have been saying milk is very helpful.

So, Milk, yay or nay?

Next: Breakfast. I've always been a cereal person, because time is of the essence for me in the mornings and I never have the time to prepare eggs, for example. Now, knowing that cereal is probably not that popular in this thread, is there any cereal that might be considered the "best" nutrition-wise? I've been all about the rasion bran lately, but that still probably has waaay too much sugar. :lol

Boogie said:
Diet questions.

Earlier in the thread, it seemed to me that people were saying that milk really shouldn't be a big part of one's diet, and in the last couple of pages, people have been saying milk is very helpful.

So, Milk, yay or nay?

Next: Breakfast. I've always been a cereal person, because time is of the essence for me in the mornings and I never have the time to prepare eggs, for example. Now, knowing that cereal is probably not that popular in this thread, is there any cereal that might be considered the "best" nutrition-wise? I've been all about the rasion bran lately, but that still probably has waaay too much sugar. :lol
Beelzebobo aside, I'd say that you should get up earlier and make your eggs. I'm all for getting your fiber from some oatmeal, but you need your protein in the morning.

Darkman M

I use organic skim milk for my protein shakes 9g of protein from the milk alone, then 2 scoops of 100% Whey gold Standard, whats not to like about it. Just get yourself some skim milk.

Chichikov

Boogie said:
So, Milk, yay or nay?
Milk is a great weight gainer, but quite a few people have a mild lactose intolerance, which can cause some upset stomach.
Also, if you’re in the US, make absolutely sure you get organic milk, there’s way too much shit in the regular milk.

Boogie said:
As Captain Glanton, I eat oatmeal and some eggs for breakfast, and really, a little bit of cooking help me so much in waking up, not sure I would’ve been able to commute otherwise.

Onemic

Darkman M said:
I use organic skim milk for my protein shakes 9g of protein from the milk alone, then 2 scoops of 100% Whey gold Standard, whats not to like about it. Just get yourself some skim milk.

I don't know why, but I read that as orgasm skim milk:lol

That would be quite an interesting concoction.

Vanish

how about Archer Farms Cinnamon Start with Protein Cereal?

Calories 190
Total Fat 2g 3%

Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Sugars 14g
Protein 15g 30%

yay or nay?

Vanish said:
how about Archer Farms Cinnamon Start with Protein Cereal?

Calories 190
Total Fat 2g 3%

Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Sugars 14g
Protein 15g 30%

yay or nay?
What's the protein from? Is this a cereal?

Ace 8095

Boogie said:
Diet questions.

So, Milk, yay or nay?
Whole milk is one of the most effective tools for gaining weight. If you're skinny, drink lots of milk. Rippetoe recommends 1 gallon of milk per day to all skinny kids who are trying to gain weight. It works wonders for me.

Boogie

Captain Glanton said:
Beelzebobo aside, I'd say that you should get up earlier and make your eggs. I'm all for getting your fiber from some oatmeal, but you need your protein in the morning.

*sigh* yeah, I figured that would be the response.

beelzebozo said:
my opinions on that have very little to do with maximizing your pump, so i'd say it's safe to take the advice of others

well, that's okay, because my goal isn't all about "maximizing my pump", though I am trying to get more serious about my weight training.

Chichikov said:
Milk is a great weight gainer, but quite a few people have a mild lactose intolerance, which can cause some upset stomach.
Also, if you’re in the US, make absolutely sure you get organic milk, there’s way too much shit in the regular milk.

Okay, so a positive, then.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Boogie said:
well, that's okay, because my goal isn't all about "maximizing my pump", though I am trying to get more serious about my weight training.

cereal is less about speed and more about comfort for me. it's probably my favorite food, so it's something i don't mind keeping regardless of its pernicious effects on my health. i feel blessed i'm not some crazed ice cream fanatic (note: i do love ice cream though) and instead constantly crave peanut butter crunch and--like you--raisin bran

Vanish

Vanish said:
yeah its all from a cereal. apparently, its exclusively from Target. seems like a pretty healthy cereal, especially for bodybuilders maybe

if you care, you can get some info here: https://sites.target.com/site/en/supertarget/archer_farms.jsp
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/archer-farms/high-protein-cinnamon-cereal

it comes in some weird, hard, narrow box
It's good that you're getting some fiber in the morning, but I would not count that protein as real protein. I'm a believer that only protein that started out in an animal really counts, and I still don't really see where this cereal's protein is coming from.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Yeah, I personally only eat cereal for the Carbohydrates. I then have like 3 Hard Boiled eggs for the Protein intake.

Vanish

Captain Glanton said:
It's good that you're getting some fiber in the morning, but I would not count that protein as real protein. I'm a believer that only protein that started out in an animal really counts, and I still don't really see where this cereal's protein is coming from.

the main ingredient is soy protein concentrate-any good?

Vanish said:
the main ingredient is soy protein concentrate-any good?
Better than not having it but I still prefer eggs.

You people and your talk of cereal has me thinking about going to the store for a box of raisin bran and a jug of milk. I don't think I've had a bowl of cereal in a year.

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So that's it then? If I were to take Hydroxycut in addition to my workout routine and healthy eating, I would see no benefit whatsoever?
If they were giving it away, I wouldn't turn it down, but the benefit would be so marginal I wouldn't exchange money for it.

Ripclawe

Banned
anyone a 24hourfitness member? They are running a 29 bucks to join, 29 a month special for all clubs access(24/24 for one club)

Captain Glanton said:
I don't think I've had a bowl of cereal in a year.

Reminds me of myself. I treated myself to a soda today (Cherry Pepsi!), first one I've had in about 4 months. It's amazing how different something can taste after you get used to drinking mostly water and some skim milk. I seriously spent about 45 minutes drinking the one soda with my meal since it just tasted so great. I'm not even particularly on any real weight loss plan, just avoiding junk food... but man, it feels nice once in a while!

Also, living with a guy that has boxes upon boxes of Red Vines, Gummi Bears, and Jelly Beans is a total bitch. I've turned down junk food probably 5-10 times a day every school day since August. Bastard keeps a 4lbs container of Red Vines right next to my desk.

P.S.: A really funny anti-milk article my girlfriend mentioned to me when I told her I drink milk (she seems to hate the taste of milk, I pray she doesn't actually believe milk is poisonous as this article seems to say) http://www.alternet.org/story/12002/?page=1

I understand that people that can't digest it have issues with milk. That's obvious. For the rest of us, this stuff is tasty.

Got milk? If not, then thank your lucky stars. Because if you do, medical research shows that you are likely to be plagued by anemia, migraine, bloating, gas, indigestion, asthma, prostate cancer, and a host of potentially fatal allergies -- especially if you are a person of color.

But milk is also a racial issue. Almost 90 percent of African Americans and most Latinos, Asians, and Southern Europeans lack the genes necessary to digest lactose, the primary sugar in milk. The milk industry's response is classic: they have launched new campaigns arguing that non-whites can digest milk if they take in small sips during the day. There is a burgeoning industry worth $450 million a year churning out products designed to minimize lactose intolerance.

This just in--you're a racist if you recommend milk.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
So that's it then? If I were to take Hydroxycut in addition to my workout routine and healthy eating, I would see no benefit whatsoever?

I was researching Hydroxycut a while ago (before I started doing this shit seriously). I tried to get my hands on independent, objective reports and also reports from users on various forums. The conclusion I came to was that Hydroxycut appears to be the best on the market right now for weight loss (people tend to prefer it over Trim Spa big time). However, there can be serious side effects - diarreah and rapid heart rate. One user had to be rushed to the hospital because his heart started beating so fast.

Anyways, I opted to not go that route and instead stuck to the basics. I do 30 mins cardio every morning, 1 hour of weight lifting a day (except for Wed where I focus on abs) and Aikido twice a week. I'm 5'11 and once weighed 190. I'm now about 170/175, have a six pack, muscles, and have never ever felt better. It takes a lot of work, but it's the best thing I've ever done in my life.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
RSTEIN said:
I was researching Hydroxycut a while ago (before I started doing this shit seriously). I tried to get my hands on independent, objective reports and also reports from users on various forums. The conclusion I came to was that Hydroxycut appears to be the best on the market right now for weight loss (people tend to prefer it over Trim Spa big time). However, there can be serious side effects - diarreah and rapid heart rate. One user had to be rushed to the hospital because his heart started beating so fast.

Anyways, I opted to not go that route and instead stuck to the basics. I do 30 mins cardio every morning, 1 hour of weight lifting a day (except for Wed where I focus on abs) and Aikido twice a week. I'm 5'11 and once weighed 190. I'm now about 170/175, have a six pack, muscles, and have never ever felt better. It takes a lot of work, but it's the best thing I've ever done in my life.

This man speaks the truth. I tried the hydroxycut thing last year and ended up getting skinny fat more than anything. I lost muscle and was at 5'11'' and 170 pounds, but didn't look as good as I wanted to. My lifting program had A LOT to do with it (not a lot of compound lifts and stuff) but I don't think it really does much. It made me sweat a lot more, and also made me jittery and I didn't eat enough. Plus it doesn't really work too much since I was still lifting 3-4 times a week and then running 4-5 miles (not HIIT) on the days I didn't lift. Yeah I was really uneducated on all this about a year ago, ha-ha...

RSTEIN said:

Anyways, I opted to not go that route and instead stuck to the basics. I do 30 mins cardio every morning, 1 hour of weight lifting a day (except for Wed where I focus on abs) and Aikido twice a week. I'm 5'11 and once weighed 190. I'm now about 170/175, have a six pack, muscles, and have never ever felt better. It takes a lot of work, but it's the best thing I've ever done in my life

damn , thats really good.

How long did it take? half a year? a year? Currently I weigh 187 with 5'11 and thats my goal right there. Whats Aikido btw? is that some sort of kicking/punching jutsu ? :D

thanks

RSTEIN

SuperAndroid17 said:
damn , thats really good.

How long did it take? half a year? a year? Currently I weigh 187 with 5'11 and thats my goal right there. Whats Aikido btw? is that some sort of kicking/punching jutsu ? :D

thanks

1 year? No. 6 months? No. It took just 2-3 months. I also drink whey protein twice a day plus take creatine. I've also just started eating better - no white stuff (whole grains, whole wheat pasta, etc), no juices, black coffee, etc. It's all pretty basic. It really made me think - what the hell have I been doing all my life? A great free resources is http://www.bodybuilding.com. They cover a lot - supplements, diets, workout plans, etc.

A neat thing I do is collect fitness magazines and cut out unique exercises. I've made a binder with all the magazine cut outs all laminated and shit. I then divided it up by muscle group and tackle one each day.

Aikido is great but it's not the most physically intensive martial art. You get a workout but there aren't any punches or kicks. You spend a lot of time on the mat so you work your abs/back and support areas. It's derived from jujutsu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Brendonia said:
This man speaks the truth. I tried the hydroxycut thing last year and ended up getting skinny fat more than anything. I lost muscle and was at 5'11'' and 170 pounds, but didn't look as good as I wanted to. My lifting program had A LOT to do with it (not a lot of compound lifts and stuff) but I don't think it really does much. It made me sweat a lot more, and also made me jittery and I didn't eat enough. Plus it doesn't really work too much since I was still lifting 3-4 times a week and then running 4-5 miles (not HIIT) on the days I didn't lift. Yeah I was really uneducated on all this about a year ago, ha-ha...

Does Hydroxycut mess with your Metabolism or something? I can see, if your not eating right nutritionally that your body will start to canibalize your muscle (same thing with weightlifting and not eating correctly).

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Brendonia said:

i tried hydroxycut once back in high school at the recommendation of a fellow lineman. Just two pills and i couldn't sleep for 3 days.

but on a positive note, I leveled up like 3 levels in EQ.

satori

BlueTsunami said:
Does Hydroxycut mess with your Metabolism or something? I can see, if your not eating right nutritionally that your body will start to canibalize your muscle (same thing with weightlifting and not eating correctly).

My brother and I tried it a few years back. All I remember was it gave a lot of energy. But when I notice my heart racing all the time and I was sweating badly. I stopped it after 3 days and never went back since. I am not sure what it does to your metabolism.

But I found changing my diet made the biggest impact on me. Energy level wise and everything else wise :p

RSTEIN said:
1 year? No. 6 months? No. It took just 2-3 months. I also drink whey protein twice a day plus take creatine. I've also just started eating better - no white stuff (whole grains, whole wheat pasta, etc), no juices, black coffee, etc. It's all pretty basic. It really made me think - what the hell have I been doing all my life? A great free resources is http://www.bodybuilding.com. They cover a lot - supplements, diets, workout plans, etc.

A neat thing I do is collect fitness magazines and cut out unique exercises. I've made a binder with all the magazine cut outs all laminated and shit. I then divided it up by muscle group and tackle one each day.

Aikido is great but it's not the most physically intensive martial art. You get a workout but there aren't any punches or kicks. You spend a lot of time on the mat so you work your abs/back and support areas. It's derived from jujutsu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

Nice but I thought creatine makes you bigger? in terms of muscle mass. Muscle mass = more weight. What kind do you take?
I take 2 protein shakes ( Syntha-6 ) a day when I work out for almost 2 months now. How did you approach creatine? Did you start off protein first ? or Did you go for the protein+creatine combo at 190lbs? Any recommendations?

Thanks bud

RSTEIN

SuperAndroid17 said:
Nice but I thought creatine makes you bigger? in terms of muscle mass. Muscle mass = more weight. What kind do you take?
I take 2 protein shakes ( Syntha-6 ) a day when I work out for almost 2 months now. How did you approach creatine? Did you start off protein first ? or Did you go for the protein+creatine combo at 190lbs? Any recommendations?

Thanks bud

No, I didn't start with creatine. I was having pretty fatty lunches at work and saw them as an easy switch out. Instead of Subway or thai food for lunch I had a whey protein shake. Replacing my lunches with protein had an immediate impact. Combined with cardio (no muscle work at this point) and a better overall diet I lost weight pretty rapidly. For the past month or so I've really started to focus on muscle work/mass. I've developed a pretty basic routine. You know, focusing on a group each day. When I started the muscle work I started taking creatine. The creatine I use is the GNC branded one. They had a buy one get 50% off deal on GNC products. So I picked up a whey powder + bottle of creatine. I haven't found that the creatine has really added to my weight yet but we'll see. After the GNC creatine is gone I'm thinking of switching to Musletech's creatine powder. I've read a lot of good things about it. How do you like the Syntha-6?

I should get a before/after shot for you guys. I don't think I have a shot with my shirt off tho before I lost weight :lol

RSTEIN said:
No, I didn't start with creatine. I was having pretty fatty lunches at work and saw them as an easy switch out. Instead of Subway or thai food for lunch I had a whey protein shake. Replacing my lunches with protein had an immediate impact. Combined with cardio (no muscle work at this point) and a better overall diet I lost weight pretty rapidly. For the past month or so I've really started to focus on muscle work/mass. I've developed a pretty basic routine. You know, focusing on a group each day. When I started the muscle work I started taking creatine. The creatine I use is the GNC branded one. They had a buy one get 50% off deal on GNC products. So I picked up a whey powder + bottle of creatine. I haven't found that the creatine has really added to my weight yet but we'll see. After the GNC creatine is gone I'm thinking of switching to Musletech's creatine powder. I've read a lot of good things about it. How do you like the Syntha-6?

I should get a before/after shot for you guys. I don't think I have a shot with my shirt off tho before I lost weight :lol

Interesting

I may just take off my lunch and throw it out the window( Its gonna be hard , I know ). Yes Syntha-6 is working REALLY well , I didnt have any muscle at all ( I was a cardio person ) I went from only lifting a 45 bar bench ( Depressing I know :( ) to 2 45 plates on each side in about 1month 1/2. The Protein is really kicking, it helped me alot and I would recommend it to anyone starting. Twice a day when I do work out and once when I dont, chocolate flavor :D , same company Makes NO-XPLODE ( Creatine ) and thats What Ive been thinking of taking now...In the back on the syntha-6 bottle it says take syntha+No-xplode for max results, so Im assuming its a GOOD combo.

Creatine is taken 30mins before a workout correct? Once a day?

SuperAndroid17 said:
Creatine is taken 30mins before a workout correct? Once a day?

I've literally seen 100 different theories on when to take creatine. Personally, I take it immediately after a work out, with 1 week of loading, 3 weeks of maintenance, and 3-4 weeks off of it routine.

Glanton probably uses an entirely different method, and I bet everyone in here does something completely different.

Yeah, there are lots of different theories out there. I just put a scoop in all of my postworkout shakes. That's 4 or 5 days a week. I don't 'cycle' it or go off of it, although if I think about it I will use double scoops for a week every so often. Actually, I should probably do that next week.

RSTEIN

Yes, there are a lot of different theories and there's going to be different instructions from brand to brand. I have creatine pills, not scoops (again, mainly because it was buy 1 get 50% on GNC branded stuff). I pop 2 pills before my workout.

I'm pretty convinced about cycling. Apparently your body can adapt to the creatine. Cycling helps prevent this. I also read you should take creatine breaks to rest your liver. Like, take 2 weeks or a month off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom