• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Eh. I eat a bowl of Product 19 cereal with sliced bananas before working out. Post workout, I eat a bowl of oatmeal with flaxseed, honey, and almonds mixed together.

You should be trying to get some protein right after your workout.

If I become a cop, I'll start a new diet and focus more on what I should be eating pre/post workout. Right now, whatever routine I'm doing seems to be helping me getting stronger.

Struct09

BlueTsunami said:
Fat around the abs isn't really that hard. Its the fat around ones face thats stubborn ;_;

Seems to be the opposite for most people.

For me the fat in my face was the first to go, then around the abs, but strangely the most stubborn part was my legs. When I was overweight my legs were HUGE and I really didn't have much of a gut.

iddqd

i just wanted to say thanks to all the people helping out and writing in this thread!

i started working out in 96 (i was 16 and slightly fat) got thin and big, stoped working out = got kinda fat again, started working out in 2003 and then stoped because i had to move.

i´m now doing it again, 3 times a week at a local gym (its nearly a year now) and i feel great.
i had some slight problems in my arms (that might be from the DS or the drawing desk though) and i still feel way to chubby.

SO ANYWAY
a thread like this is a not only a great read but it keeps me focused, it helps in rethinking my diet/workout and its also nice to see other people being interested in the sport (my friends/ people at the university are not).

i also love this text by henry rollins (i hope it has not been posted, it takes me a while to read trough the whole thread due to lots of unknown english words)
-> IRON AND SOUL

Boogie

Jason's Ultimatum said:
If I become a cop, I'll start a new diet and focus more on what I should be eating pre/post workout. Right now, whatever routine I'm doing seems to be helping me getting stronger.

Beware, the cop's lifestyle is not very conducive to healthy eating. Not that it can't be done, but it is a challenge.

It'd be pretty easy for me. If I do take 3rd shifts, I'd be leaving for work at around 10pm. That gives me plenty of time to eat a well balanced meal. Plus the cops around here work 3 or 4 days a week, 10hr shifts.

There's a State Trooper at my gym who's in very, very good shape. He's talked about doing a bodybuilding show, in fact.

Lots of people chalk it up to his using juice, but I guess that's one of the fringe benefits.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Did some extra sets of lunges today and like front squats they feel so much better on the quads then back squats. I've been doing squat and BB calf raise pyramids every second day and also throw in 140lbs strict pullovers to get the lats going, ontop of my routine. I must have put 5lbs on my legs and ass in the past month or so without gaining any bodyfat. This chicken and fish feels like such a reward :lol

koam

I'm starting my diet / workout regime again tomorrow. I've been off it for a year now and while i still look pretty good, i've lost a lot of core strenght and muscles so i want to build up again.

Food wise, i'm doing the Abs Diet Plan again because frankly, it's the best diet out there for men and also, it's not really a diet but more of a "you should really be eating more of these and less of these" deal instead of NO FAT NO CARDS NO NOTHING.

But anyway, the reason i've stopped working out is cause i got fed up of going to the gym, i just don't find it fun anymore. I've been doing SOME sports but i want to increase that. I'm also thinking of getting a few select equipement at the home for when i don't feel like going out to exercise or it's raining or whatever. Enough talking, here's where i ask GAF for advice.

1) I want a good punching bag. Is it better to get a floor mounted one of one of those ceiling ones? What should I look for in a bag? My budget it $100.

2) I also want to pick up a new bench. Any recommendations? My budget is $300.

Yogi_bear

koam said:
1) I want a good punching bag. Is it better to get a floor mounted one of one of those ceiling ones? What should I look for in a bag? My budget it $100.

2) I also want to pick up a new bench. Any recommendations? My budget is $300.

In terms of the punching bag, it depends on your situation. Are you in a house? Apt? Also, if you mount it on the ceiling, you have to be careful and watchful of if it's doing any damage to your ceiling. I've literally had mine fall out of the ceiling and take out a good portion of it as well. Now I use this standing bag, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00022KIYY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

More expensive than you're willing to pay, but I had a standard stand bag before and this one just feels so much natural "IF" your a kickboxer because it gives you natural curves in the body for your shins to land on. It's also better for precise boxing/kicking.

Boogie

BOBs aren't worth it, in my not-so-humble opinion. You can talk about "natural curves", and "precision striking", but that isn't the purpose of a heavy bag-style punching bag. You'll get a better workout out of a traditional hanging heavy bag.

Hanging bags >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> standing bags, IF you have the setup to hang it (as Yogi said, it's no good if the bag tears down the ceiling.)

I don't know of any serious kickboxing gym that incorporates BOBs into their training, but everybody uses hanging heavy bags.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZGYSK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

^^
I've had this one for over six years. It's not the best out there, but has served me well enough over that time for me to recommend it.

Yogi_bear

Boogie said:
BOBs are okay, but still a little too gimmicky, in my not-so-humble opinion.

Hanging bags >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> standing bags, IF you have the setup to hang it (as Yogi said, it's no good if the bag tears down the ceiling.)

I don't know of any serious kickboxing gym that incorporates BOBs into their training, but everybody uses hanging heavy bags.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007ZGYSK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

^^
I've had this one for over six years. It's not the best out there, but has served me well enough over that time for me to recommend it.

Oh yeah, hanging bags are definitely the best thing for both boxing and kickboxing. My situation is that I'm in a apt now, so there's no way I'm going to risk damaging the apt. If the guy has a house though, it's a different situation. He just needs to make sure that wherever he's going to use it, that the ceiling is strong enough to hold the pounding it's going to take.

Boogie

Slo said:
If you live in an apartment and have neighbors above you, they will hate you if you get a hanging bag.

Exactly. The best setup for a hanging bag is a garage.

*Boogie misses his heavy bag since moving into his own apartment :(*

Yogi_bear said:
Oh yeah, hanging bags are definitely the best thing for both boxing and kickboxing. My situation is that I'm in a apt now, so there's no way I'm going to risk damaging the apt. If the guy has a house though, it's a different situation. He just needs to make sure that wherever he's going to use it, that the ceiling is strong enough to hold the pounding it's going to take.

Agreed.

beelzebozo said:
if i were a cop i'd get most of my workouts utilizing excessive force on every routine traffic stop
shield-mikechick.jpg

Jirotrom

Hello all... tomorrow I will begin my workout regime. I've been avoiding heavy muscle workouts because I felt that getting bigger would be bad, especially because at the time I had added about an inch to my traps in a little less than a month. Well the loss of lifting weights and just trying to do cardio was a failure, and I slowly got out of rhythm and got bigger the other way:p.

This week I will start off with lifting, later in the week I will add cardio that consists jump rope, racquetball, and kettlebell. Needless to say Im friggen hyped. My goal is to knock off at least 1.5 inches off my waist in 30 days. Going by my past, its should be possible... night gaf, I plan on documenting my results.

Barrage

koam said:
Food wise, i'm doing the Abs Diet Plan again because frankly, it's the best diet out there for men and also, it's not really a diet but more of a "you should really be eating more of these and less of these" deal instead of NO FAT NO CARDS NO NOTHING.

Could you go into details on this please?

Mr.City

Jirotrom said:
Hello all... tomorrow I will begin my workout regime. I've been avoiding heavy muscle workouts because I felt that getting bigger would be bad, especially because at the time I had added about an inch to my traps in a little less than a month. Well the loss of lifting weights and just trying to do cardio was a failure, and I slowly got out of rhythm and got bigger the other way:p.

This week I will start off with lifting, later in the week I will add cardio that consists jump rope, racquetball, and kettlebell. Needless to say Im friggen hyped. My goal is to knock off at least 1.5 inches off my waist in 30 days. Going by my past, its should be possible... night gaf, I plan on documenting my results.

How much weight is 1.5 inches? and why 30 days?

Jirotrom

Mr.City said:
How much weight is 1.5 inches? and why 30 days?
because its a goal that will be difficult, Honestly I don't know how much weight that is. I plan on gaining muscle as well so I tend to ignore how much I weigh. I usually gain weight in the first week of a new workout routine, but this is the most overweight I've been in a long time, I weigh 230, and Im 5ft 11.5 inches.

I know this thread is mostly about muscle milk and getting ripped, but I am tall and lanky....working on getting a toned body, bigger muscles for sure, but not so sure about being 'jacked' 'ripped' and all that...

But anyway, GAF, I have given birth to 4 baby abs!!!

Picture7.jpg

Onemic

Hey has anyone heard of a program called Stax? After checking out the thread about the guy that lost a ton of weight with the program I'm kind of interested. How would it stack up to something like atkinsa and more importantly is it more attainable?(Atkins is a compelte bitch to stay dedicated to)

onemic said:
Hey has anyone heard of a program called Stax? After checking out the thread about the guy that lost a ton of weight with the program I'm kind of interested. How would it stack up to something like atkinsa and more importantly is it more attainable?(Atkins is a compelte bitch to stay dedicated to)
Just going from the website: I'd be very, very wary of trying a system that talks about being "easy" and offering "shortcuts." For a diet, I would really just say to eat the types of food that website shows up front: fruits, lean meats, and vegetables. If your diet is based on those things, and you exercise 4-5 times a week, that's 95% of the battle.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Squall5042 said:
I know this thread is mostly about muscle milk and getting ripped, but I am tall and lanky....working on getting a toned body, bigger muscles for sure, but not so sure about being 'jacked' 'ripped' and all that...

But anyway, GAF, I have given birth to 4 baby abs!!!

Picture7.jpg

Congrats, hopefully by next year I'll have enough muscle so I can start focusing on losing some baby fat that I still have. Maybe I'll work on 6 pack myself.

Right now I want to build muscle.

Vanish

Jirotrom said:
that depends on your own personal physique.

well im only 135 pounds, and ive been stuck on a pathetically light weight for a while now (like a couple of months). i've been drinking and eating protein shakes and bars but it doesnt seem to help much.

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
well im only 135 pounds, and ive been stuck on a pathetically light weight for a while now (like a couple of months). i've been drinking and eating protein shakes and bars but it doesnt seem to help much.
Im about to take a nap, but post your workout schedule and I'm sure myself and others can reply,
how tall are you btw?

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
5'9, usually bench 3 times a week, 3 sets of 10, thanks for any help
post everything.... diet intake and complete schedule what days so on.

And its ok to post the amount of weight, there is nothing to be embarrassed by.

tombur

Vanish said:
5'9, usually bench 3 times a week, 3 sets of 10, thanks for any help

3 times a week is a big no-no. You are not giving your muscles enough time to repair themselves. Also, lower the reps and up the sets.

Jirotrom

tombur said:
3 times a week is a big no-no. You are not giving your muscles enough time to repair themselves. Also, lower the reps and up the sets.
i think it would be better for him just to increase the weight 5 pounds and to lower the reps honestly.
Edit and bench twice a week.

tombur said:

3x a week is fine for a beginner, it just depends on how much he's increasing the weight by. It sounds like he's stalled.

Lower the weight (so you can build back up), drop the reps. I'd say do 3 sets of 5 reps. Start out with your 10 rep weight (which should be easy for 5 reps). Increase the weight SLIGHTLY each day you work out. Hopefully you have some pretty small incremental plates where you work out.

tombur

Jirotrom said:
i think it would be better for him just to increase the weight 5 pounds and to lower the reps honestly.

So keep it at 3 sets? Hmm
I would personally bench no more than 2 times a week, though I am a beginner too, so listen to the experts!

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
3x a week is fine for a beginner, it just depends on how much he's increasing the weight by. It sounds like he's stalled.

Lower the weight (so you can build back up), drop the reps. I'd say do 3 sets of 5 reps. Start out with your 10 rep weight (which should be easy for 5 reps). Increase the weight SLIGHTLY each day you work out. Hopefully you have some pretty small incremental plates where you work out.
Why lower the weight... that seems odd if he has been doing 3x10 successfully for months. to me it just seems he isn't letting his muscles heal somehow...

Vanish

ok well my usual diet is:

Breakfast: cereal (mostly healthy ones)

Lunch: sandwich or one of those microwavable lean meals

dinner: rice with chicken

while eating snacks like yogurt throughout the day and eating my protein drink/bar after i work out.

i also do aerobic excercise sometimes that i should probably stop...

my current bench weight is 120 :(

i can go almost all the way down and do 10 reps but barely though...

Jirotrom

tombur said:
So keep it at 3 sets? Hmm
well for me personally, what I've done is this...

2 by 1

2 light days for bench followed by a heavy day. the light daays are typically something that can give me a bit of strain, but have no problem doing 3 sets x 10. Basically If I know its possible w/o a spot, thats what I do. I then do a day with a weight that has me work hard for 5 reps. I do this process for around 2 and a half weeks.

week 1
light, light

week 2
heavy, light

week 3
light, pyramid

week 4
light, light, and so on

granted, this is what worked for me when I was trying to bulk up a few years ago, it worked fairly well, but its my body and I understand it better than most:p.

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
ok well my usual diet is:

Breakfast: cereal (mostly healthy ones)

Lunch: sandwich or one of those microwavable lean meals

dinner: rice with chicken

while eating snacks like yogurt throughout the day and eating my protein drink/bar after i work out.

i also do aerobic excercise sometimes that i should probably stop...

my current bench weight is 120 :(

i can go almost all the way down and do 10 reps but barely though...

well... I don't think you are taking in enough protein, but then again I need a meal plan thats a bit more detailed. I know some may disagree with me, but I prefer having protein in my system before lifting when bulking, I then take another protein shake after my lifts within 30. The reason you aren't building muscle is that you arent supplying the fuel. You weigh 140, I would be intaking atleast 140 grams of protein a day.

Whats your calorie intake, be glad that you don't have to lose any fat:p

Jirotrom said:
Why lower the weight... that seems odd if he has been doing 3x10 successfully for months. to me it just seems he isn't letting his muscles heal somehow...

I said lower the weight and slowly build it back up. Most people get too greedy with weights. What's better: increase the weight 10 lbs a week for 3 weeks, or increase it 5 lbs a week for 10 weeks? It's better to undertrain than it is to overtrain, because overtraining requires a back off period and wasted time spent recovering.

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
I said lower the weight and slowly build it back up. Most people get too greedy with weights. What's better: increase the weight 10 lbs a week for 3 weeks, or increase it 5 lbs a week for 10 weeks? It's better to undertrain than it is to overtrain, because overtraining requires a back off period and wasted time spent recovering.
I was under the impression that he was attaining the 10 reps easily... and that he just couldn't increase his max. He stated that hes been stuck at the same weight for months, something is up but it seems that his protein intake is low.

Vanish

i dont know my exact calorie count and its going to be hard to take 140 g of protein daily but i'll try. i'll also try to use the advice you guys listed, thanks again

Jirotrom

Vanish said:
i dont know my exact calorie count and its going to be hard to take 140 g of protein daily but i'll try. i'll try of the advice you guys listed, thanks again
wait... quick question, you've been at the same benching weight for months... are you doing any other lifting, also do your muscles get sore after the workouts?

Also... dont try taking all the protein at the same time or anything, I personally try to get in 6-7 meals a day, 3 of them are usually protein shakes, 3 main meals and 1 snack, it shifts to 6 on my non work out days as the snack. but i try to eat every 2and a half hours... weird diet i know, but it worked for me.

kurahadol

I'm looking to tone up a bit and gain a bit of muscle over the summer, and of course continue the whole work out routine afterwards. I'm 6'3" and 175lbs, I'm skinny but I have some loose skin from when I was bigger in the early high school days. I was wondering what my best course of action was to gain a bit of strength and endurance and at the same time, look and feel a bit better.

Edit: My brother is also wondering about hydroxycut, he's not fat or anything but he's got some chunk on him along with quite a bit of muscle mass, so he's trying to get rid of the whole chunk aspect. I've heard bad things and I've heard good things, mainly bad though. Can anyone give some insight on the stuff?

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
So no word on whether whole milk mozzarella is as helpful as regular whole milk? For some reason my lactose intolerance is much worse with milk than with cheese. Also, I'm guessing the Cap'n isn't big on milk? It's not part of fruits/lean meats/vegetables.

Vanish

i also work out other body parts like my biceps and abs, but it seems like my chest (for benching) and triceps are by far the slowest at advancing. i dont feel sore after benching but when i come back to bench another day, the first set is the hardest for me to do b/c my chest starts feeling sore. i dont feel sore any more for the next two sets so theyre much easier. hopefully youll understand what im trying to say....

my other muscles dont usually feel sore other than my abs

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
Vanish said:
i also work out other body parts like my biceps and abs, but it seems like my chest (for benching) and triceps are by far the slowest at advancing. i dont feel sore after benching but when i come back to bench another day, the first set is the hardest for me to do b/c my chest starts feeling sore. i dont feel sore any more for the next two sets so theyre much easier. hopefully youll understand what im trying to say....

my other muscles dont usually feel sore other than my abs

Sounds like a problem most of us had until we eventually relinquished and focused heavily on legs and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom