• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

planked

so is everyone in this thread hairless chest/lower back-wise? or do you do something about it. I'm taming it now, but it's hard not to let this beast get out of control

might submerge myself neck deep in a pool of nair. mmm

For a creatine starter Should I take 2 scoops 30min before a workout for 1week then 1 for 1 week? then take 2 weeks off?

Looking into taking No-Xplode, trying to get some pro's opinions on this!:D
Trying to get a grasp on "How to start" and "How to" since none of my friends take it :(

Barrett2

I need some advice as to what additional supplements I could be taking. I am 28, 6'1, 210lbs, have been lifting for 4 years. I drink whey protein shakes and lots of soy milk, but I think I am at the point where I could be maximizing results by using other supplements.

I have previously taken Creatine, and had great results from it at the time, but since starting grad school 2.5 years ago I haven't touched anything but whey powder. Is Creatine still my best bet for generally increasing size & strength, or should I be aware of other stuff? I get overwhelmed every time I walk into a GNC.

planked said:
so is everyone in this thread hairless chest/lower back-wise? or do you do something about it. I'm taming it now, but it's hard not to let this beast get out of control

I'm naturally pretty light on hair, but I do have chest hair. I just leave it. My roommate shaves his chest, but I like having it there. Again, though, I'm only mildly hairy so for those with more, hair trimming followed by shaving seems like the standard choice.

SuperAndroid17 said:
For a creatine starter Should I take 2 scoops 30min before a workout for 1week then 1 for 1 week? then take 2 weeks off?

Trying to get a grasp on "How to start" and "How to" since none of my friends take it :(

Here's my creatine process:

Phase 1: Loading
15-20g a day (after a workout on days I workout, on days I don't workout, anytime around mid-day) for 7 days.

Phase 2: Maintenance
5g a day (after a workout on days I workout, on days I don't workout, anytime around mid-day) for 14-21 days.

Phase 3: Off
No creatine for 21-28 days.

You'll just need to figure out what you're most comfortable with, but that's my routine. I drink a lot (a LOT) of water though, which is important when taking creatine because it can be hard on your organs if you aren't hydrated. I also just drink mine from water, but if I had the ability to, I'd take it in a protein shake.

Soka said:
I'm naturally pretty light on hair, but I do have chest hair. I just leave it. My roommate shaves his chest, but I like having it there. Again, though, I'm only mildly hairy so for those with more, hair trimming followed by shaving seems like the standard choice.

Here's my creatine process:

Phase 1: Loading
20g a day (after a workout on days I workout, on days I don't workout, anytime around mid-day) for 7 days.

Phase 2: Maintenance
5g a day (after a workout on days I workout, on days I don't workout, anytime around mid-day) for 14-21 days.

Phase 3: Off
No creatine for 21-28 days.

You'll just need to figure out what you're most comfortable with, but that's my routine. I drink a lot (a LOT) of water though, which is important when taking creatine because it can be hard on your organs if you aren't hydrated. I also just drink mine from water, but if I had the ability to, I'd take it in a protein shake.

Damn , thats pretty informative. Thanks

I drink around 6-7 bottles of water a day btw , So you drink 20g of creatine even on days you dont work out? Did I read that right?
Week 1 20g
Week 2 5g
Week 3 5g
Week 4 0

Sounds good

Boogie

planked said:

WTF does this have to do with fitness?

SuperAndroid17 said:
(

A big :( It doesn't do anything worthwhile for you.

I use
Whey
Surge--a postworkout powder
BCAAs
Fish oil [take your damn fish oil!]
Alpha Male--a T booster
Creatine

And I might try cycling creatine.

Edit: Well, I left my creatine out of my shake tonight. Hope you communists are right!

Barrage

Bought some Whey Powder for the first time today. For those of you who say you drink a Whey Shake twice on Workout days, once on off days-is it correct to assume you're doing one workout a day? I drank one immediately after my workout today-when should I drink the second one?

Another query-the saleswoman recommended I eat a banana with the WHey Shake to get "good carbs". Is this good advice?

Thanks in advance, GymGAF!

Darkman M

SuperAndroid17 said:
why do you say no-xplode doesnt work?

on that bodybuilder site , no-xplode is on thier top 5 creatine list.

I get a pretty great pump and energy boast from it, although i have the orange flavor and find it disgusting think ill go with lemon next time.

SuperAndroid17 said:
why do you say no-xplode doesnt work?

on that bodybuilder site , no-xplode is on thier top 5 creatine list.
That's a Top Seller list. Would you tell your friends to buy the best-selling game each month?

Nitrous Oxide is a gimmick that gives you a bigger pump as you exercise but doesn't actually add real strength or endurance. Just get some creatine from Optimum or someone and don't worry about it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Are there any whey protein tubs that doesn't contain a lot of sugar?
Biotest--Metabolic Drive 1g

Barrage said:
Bought some Whey Powder for the first time today. For those of you who say you drink a Whey Shake twice on Workout days, once on off days-is it correct to assume you're doing one workout a day? I drank one immediately after my workout today-when should I drink the second one?

Another query-the saleswoman recommended I eat a banana with the WHey Shake to get "good carbs". Is this good advice?

Thanks in advance, GymGAF!
I'd drink the second shake an hour before you go to bed. The saleswoman sounds like a crazy woman from the planet crazy.

Darkman M

Captain Glanton said:
That's a Top Seller list. Would you tell your friends to buy the best-selling game each month?

Nitrous Oxide is a gimmick that gives you a bigger pump as you exercise but doesn't actually add real strength or endurance. Just get some creatine from Optimum or someone and don't worry about it.

Worth a try, what type of creatine would you recommend? Im currently cutting hard right now so is it a good idea to use creatine while cutting?

Darkman M said:
Worth a try, what type of creatine would you recommend? Im currently cutting hard right now so is it a good idea to use creatine while cutting?
I use Biotest. They just switched to free Fed Ex shipping on all orders, which seems to have caused some shortages there [which they have often] :( Optimum Nutrition is good too.

I'm not experienced with getting extremely, competition-level cut. My guess would be that using creatine would be a good idea. If you just mean 'very lean,' definitely feel free to use it.

Darkman M

Captain Glanton said:
I use Biotest. They just switched to free Fed Ex shipping on all orders, which seems to have caused some shortages there [which they have often] :( Optimum Nutrition is good too.

I'm not experienced with getting extremely, competition-level cut. My guess would be that using creatine would be a good idea. If you just mean 'very lean,' definitely feel free to use it.

Awesome thanks will try, im not trying to get bodybuilder cut but i do want to get a low body fat percentage and be able to see more definition im curently 6'1 about 248 or so.

SuperAndroid17 said:
Damn , thats pretty informative. Thanks

I drink around 6-7 bottles of water a day btw , So you drink 20g of creatine even on days you dont work out? Did I read that right?
Week 1 20g
Week 2 5g
Week 3 5g
Week 4 0

Sounds good

Just clarifying, I meant to say that I spend 1 week with 20g/day (even on days I don't work out), then 2-3 weeks with 5g a day, and then 3-4 weeks without any creatine. So, 1 months on creatine, 1 month off of it.

Although, again, just need to test different patterns yourself and see what you like. As far as water, 6-7 bottles sounds good. I drink at least 100fl oz. a day, but that's counting drinking water with meals. I'm consider trying to start drinking more, just not sure if I feel like I need to yet.

After reading the last two pages I've decided to take the plunge with supplements. I never, ever thought I would, because I always thought supplements were for those crazy folks with gigantic gross muscles I see on magazine covers.

My problem has always been that I do crazy cardio stuff but start losing muscle mass. I just can't seem to take in enough protein or something. I actually can feel just the slightest bit of "weakness" in my arms the day after I do crazy running.

I'll try and keep up on this here. Fingers are crossed.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
JasoNsider said:
After reading the last two pages I've decided to take the plunge with supplements. I never, ever thought I would, because I always thought supplements were for those crazy folks with gigantic gross muscles I see on magazine covers.

My problem has always been that I do crazy cardio stuff but start losing muscle mass. I just can't seem to take in enough protein or something. I actually can feel just the slightest bit of "weakness" in my arms the day after I do crazy running.

I'll try and keep up on this here. Fingers are crossed.

Well, chances are your body isn't getting enough protein and vitamins. A good guideline is about 1-1.3g of protein per pound of body weight for an active person. A good multivitamin will help your body absorb the protein + give you other good benefits.

Mr.City said:
I like this guy.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies, to chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth, to see their near and dear bathed in tears, to ride their horses and sleep on the bellies of their wives and daughters."

Every Friday. Maybe we should have our own Weekend Confirmed in here every Friday, complete with Atomic Dog-approved pics.

Mr.City

God, I'm going to sound dumb, but here it goes. When you guys make the decision to start weight training, do you first find out your maximum rep strength before you try out any type of training regimen?

Slo

No. Don't do it. You'll hurt yourself. Start light, work on form and complete range of motion. When you can finish your last rep on your last set without breaking form, then add weight to the exercise in the next session.

You don't need to know what your max is right now.

hoqhuuep

Slo said:
No. Don't do it. You'll hurt yourself. Start light, work on form and complete range of motion. When you can finish your last rep on your last set without breaking form, then add weight to the exercise in the next session.

You don't need to know what your max is right now.

qft.

Soka said:
Just clarifying, I meant to say that I spend 1 week with 20g/day (even on days I don't work out), then 2-3 weeks with 5g a day, and then 3-4 weeks without any creatine. So, 1 months on creatine, 1 month off of it.

Although, again, just need to test different patterns yourself and see what you like. As far as water, 6-7 bottles sounds good. I drink at least 100fl oz. a day, but that's counting drinking water with meals. I'm consider trying to start drinking more, just not sure if I feel like I need to yet.

Im assuming with the tiny scoop that No-XPLODE has , thats 20g . I took for my first creatine drink today , 2 hour session, came home and felt great :D

But yeah , I may just go your route and see how that works. If I dont see anything drastic changes and I'll change.

tombur

Captain Glanton said:
Is anyone who reads the thread an MD? Or have lots of experience with knee pain? Wanna help diagnose what's wrong with my fucked up knee?

Post it anyway, I have had knee problems for quite a few months now, I may know.

I need to get a pair of gloves and a weight belt. The blisters on my hands are preventing me from deadlifting as well as I could, and I think it's time to start using a belt.

Any specific recommended brands/models for those? Or what features I should look for. I never used either before.

Slo

Naked Snake said:
I need to get a pair of gloves and a weight belt. The blisters on my hands are preventing me from deadlifting as well as I could, and I think it's time to start using a belt.

Any specific recommended brands/models for those? Or what features I should look for. I never used either before.

Don't go half way. Go buy some work boots, cut off jean shorts, a neon pink spaghetti strap tank top, and a do-rag.

Naked Snake said:

There is a belt discussion in the OP. I don't use gloves; I'd honestly recommend that you allow the calluses to build up. It'll be best over the long run.

tombur said:
Post it anyway, I have had knee problems for quite a few months now, I may know.
At Xmas, I was sliding sideways [into a booth at a restaurant] when I suddenly felt a very sharp pain in my knee. I did not hear anything pop or snap. The pain is always on the outside of the knee, running vertically.

It comes and goes. When it's worst, there's a real instability in the knee, when I can feel the joint shifting. This happens when I'm bending straight down [to pick something off the ground], going up and down stairs, or sometimes when I've been sitting at the wrong height [happens fairly often when I get up after my half hour bus ride].

The weird thing is that it doesn't interfere with my leg work. I squat over 500 lbs for reps each week right now, I carry a 100lb box of books up and down stairs [weird, I know, but it's everyday stairs that bother me], and I run sprints up a large hill every week. But yesterday, I went to do some seated overhead presses, and my knee just killed me and I couldn't do them. Using my leg to push myself back against the seat really hurt.

Help me, GAF!

tombur

Captain Glanton said:
There is a belt discussion in the OP. I don't use gloves; I'd honestly recommend that you allow the calluses to build up. It'll be best over the long run.

At Xmas, I was sliding sideways [into a booth at a restaurant] when I suddenly felt a very sharp pain in my knee. I did not hear anything pop or snap. The pain is always on the outside of the knee, running vertically.

It comes and goes. When it's worst, there's a real instability in the knee, when I can feel the joint shifting. This happens when I'm bending straight down [to pick something off the ground], going up and down stairs, or sometimes when I've been sitting at the wrong height [happens fairly often when I get up after my half hour bus ride].

The weird thing is that it doesn't interfere with my leg work. I squat over 500 lbs for reps each week right now, I carry a 100lb box of books up and down stairs [weird, I know, but it's everyday stairs that bother me], and I run sprints up a large hill every week. But yesterday, I went to do some seated overhead presses, and my knee just killed me and I couldn't do them. Using my leg to push myself back against the seat really hurt.

Help me, GAF!

Sounds like a Meniscus Tear, though dont hold me to that!

It's not THAT bad, but I would definately see a doctor.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
They do have knee wraps for those who are worried about their bones shifting in and out of place when doing squats. I'm going to be buying some for my next squat session.

And about gloves, honestly, it feels much better to have the weight up against your skin. The cold metal kind of put you in the zone psychologically.

Uncooked

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
A big :( It doesn't do anything worthwhile for you.

I use
Whey
Surge--a postworkout powder
BCAAs
Fish oil [take your damn fish oil!]
Alpha Male--a T booster
Creatine

And I might try cycling creatine.

Edit: Well, I left my creatine out of my shake tonight. Hope you communists are right!

How much are you paying for that every month?

Slo said:
Don't go half way. Go buy some work boots, cut off jean shorts, a neon pink spaghetti strap tank top, and a do-rag.

That was uncalled for.

Captain Glanton said:

Thanks, I just read the entire OP, good stuff. But what do you mean allowing the calluses to build up? I've always had them and they never bothered me until last time when I loaded a extra weight on the bar for deadlifing, the calluses became very painful to a point that I couldn't concentrate on the exercise. Maybe it has to do with my grip, I just read the recommended way to hold the bar in the OP and will see if that help next time.

Uncooked said:
How much are you paying for that every month?
I try not to think about it.
$100?
The good news is that I've just gone from 'grad school poor' to 'solid middle class,' so it no longer stings as much. I meant what I said, Lord knows how many pages ago now: if you really want to get into this stuff, sacrifices will be made. You don't have to spend that much money to see results from exercising, but if you want to 'run through walls' then that's a different matter altogether.

Naked Snake said:
Thanks, I just read the entire OP, good stuff. But what do you mean allowing the calluses to build up? I've always had them and they never bothered me until last time when I loaded a extra weight on the bar for deadlifing, the calluses became very painful to a point that I couldn't concentrate on the exercise. Maybe it has to do with my grip, I just read the recommended way to hold the bar in the OP and will see if that help next time.

I find that when I tear my calluses, it's just more callus that's tearing away. The parts of my hands that really grab the bar have thick pads of callus on them now, so that when something rips it's just a matter of peeling away a layer or two. No real living flesh is involved. Deadlifting does tear your hands up beyond what the other exercises do, though.

Doing Abs and getting rid of the flabby stomach.... whats the best exercise or machine for this?

I usually do Incline sit-ups with my friend throwing the 8pound ball up and down.

Any suggestions?

tombur

SuperAndroid17 said:
Doing Abs and getting rid of the flabby stomach.... whats the best exercise or machine for this?

I usually do Incline sit-ups with my friend throwing the 8pound ball up and down.

Any suggestions?

Read through this whole thread, focusing on the points about diet and nutrition. If you want to get rid of the flabby stomach, it is (as stated in this thread), 90% diet 10% exercise.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
SuperAndroid17 said:

Any suggestions?
Cardio (preferably high intensity) and clean diet for getting rid of the flab. I wouldn't worry too much about what ab exercises you do as long as you're working them in some way and doing big compound lifts, unless you want huge ripped abs then do the whole weighted crunches/situps thing. The only ab targeted exercise I do are bicycle kicks (oh and stomach vacuums).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
MrToughPants said:
Chew your food before swallowing it, spot reduce that shit!

:lol

I was actually going to crack a joke about face spot reduction but that one is better than the one I came up with :p

I don't know who it was in this thread, but they mentioned cottage cheese and frozen berries (slightly thawed)... MY GOD this makes a great breakfast! I think I'm addicted!

6e3u2w.jpg
+
f25zf9.jpg

demon

BlueTsunami said:
Fat around the abs isn't really that hard. Its the fat around ones face thats stubborn ;_;
I've thought that facial fat was usually the first to go- and the first to appear. It was where it was most noticeable on me when I started losing weight.

demon

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I don't know who it was in this thread, but they mentioned cottage cheese and frozen berries (slightly thawed)... MY GOD this makes a great breakfast! I think I'm addicted!

6e3u2w.jpg
+
f25zf9.jpg
It sounds good. Too bad berries are so fucking expensive though.

Eh. I eat a bowl of Product 19 cereal with sliced bananas before working out. Post workout, I eat a bowl of oatmeal with flaxseed, honey, and almonds mixed together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom