• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
BlazingDarkness said:
hey guys, its probably a dumb question but im not into fitness at all
im pretty slim, but im 19 and i still feel like i have a kids body (theres no definition to it at all)
you guys got any simple ways i can tone up a bit, in particular my torso, anything i can do at home rather than committing myself to a gym regime?
weight wise, im ten and a half stone, 147 pounds(ish) and im just over 6 foot.

At over 6 feet and 147 pounds, you're gonna have a hard time getting toned without hitting the weights. You need to gain weight. I'm down to 180 lbs at 5'11" and feel fucking tiny.

Really, if you want to look better, be stronger, whatever your goal, you're going to have to commit to something.

Jirotrom said:
I don't know man, shit just passes through them, I'm not talking about skinny folks who don't need to workout... I'm talking about my friends that workout and do cardio everyday.

I think RSTEIN meant that their internal/digestive systems are probably headed down a bad path. I mean, I CAN get away with eating shit all day...but I don't.

Don't you remember those commercials with the identical twins who both worked out, and it asked what the different between them was? And they're walking out the gym, and one runs into the door? One eats well, the other doesn't.

I don't even know if the advertised product was good, but it was a good concept for a commercial. Shit doesn't magically disappear inside your body.

Mr. Snrub said:
I think RSTEIN meant that their internal/digestive systems are probably headed down a bad path. I mean, I CAN get away with eating shit all day...but I don't.

Don't you remember those commercials with the identical twins who both worked out, and it asked what the different between them was? And they're walking out the gym, and one runs into the door? One eats well, the other doesn't.

I don't even know if the advertised product was good, but it was a good concept for a commercial. Shit doesn't magically disappear inside your body.
V8?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Yeah, exactly Snrub. You can only get away with that stuff for so long. Nothing just "passes through" your body. It goes to your heart, liver, digestive track, etc. You may look great on the outside (i.e. athletic) but that stuff will catch up with you. IMO, if your eating habits aren't totally in sync with your exercise/weight program, you're only halfway there. It's just common sense.

If I can make a sandwhich with whole grain bread, lean chicken, lettuce, tomato, etc., WHY would I eat anything else. The other option is going to have more cholestoral, saturated fat, refined sugar, simple carbs and other shit that ain't good for you.

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:

yes true... but triglycerides are triglycerides, when it comes down to it its fat and calories. The speed of your metabolisms is what determines how much your body actually absorbs, the rest passes through. The thing is even when your body absorbs those unwanted fats, if you are highly active you use them. For some people, due to genetics its easier for them to handle certain foods. I mean look when it comes down to it, you don't want to drink a bucket of lard everyday... I don't know anyone who has the ability to work something like that off.

Simple carbs and cholesterol, and really fats are not whats bad for you, its taking them in excess of what your body requires thats bad for you, its eating tons of food and not being active thats bad for you. Your cells need cholesterol to function, triglycerides themselves I believe have 4 times the energy release than calories ( might be 2 times) Sugars are only bad when you don't want your body to convert them into triglycerides because thats what happens when you intake them in excess. The human body is a system of checks and balances, all it wants to do is stay at homeostasis. In regards to food metabolism does effect that, some fats believe it or not don't get absorbed into the blood stream in the small intestines. Inactive people have a tendency to always be at rest, the rest response of the body is to sleep and absorb and digest, not fight or flight. As an athlete you want the fight or flight response at all times except for when you are sleeping.

Like I said earlier though... I know my body... and I personally can't eat tons of junk food, the only time I could was when I was in drum corps... but being active 6-9 hours a day will do that to you.

Oh and please dont confuse me... the importance of "good" fuel verses "bad" fuel is understood.

Struct09

RSTEIN said:
Sure, I hear you. You work out and you're active. I'm talking about out the typical out of shape guy/gal that gets on a program and starts their little food journal. What happens is, like Atkins, or whatever, you end up missing vital stuff like complex carbs, protein, etc. Most people just count calories/carbs and say "hey, this is awesome!" rather than develop a well-rounded, fitness & food lifestyle change.

I think you're overgeneralizing here a bit. If someone has the drive to track their daily calories, they are likely dedicated to their overall fitness and nutrition.

I think counting calories is a great way to start a new healthy lifestyle. It can open your eyes to how much you're actually eating, and help outline what you need to do to fix the problem. I used to count my calories daily, and the only reason I don't anymore is that I know how many calories I'm eating daily due to being in the rhythm of the new lifestyle.

Nothing wrong with counting calories, but of course if you don't want to do it you don't have to.

Chichikov

Struct09 said:
I think you're overgeneralizing here a bit. If someone has the drive to track their daily calories, they are likely dedicated to their overall fitness and nutrition.

I think counting calories is a great way to start a new healthy lifestyle. It can open your eyes to how much you're actually eating, and help outline what you need to do to fix the problem. I used to count my calories daily, and the only reason I don't anymore is that I know how many calories I'm eating daily due to being in the rhythm of the new lifestyle.

Nothing wrong with counting calories, but of course if you don't want to do it you don't have to.
The main problem is that calories do not tell the whole story.
Even if your sole goal is weight loss through dieting, counting calories is still a limited tool.

Of course there is nothing wrong with it in and by itself, but even when using it you can still end up with a pretty bad diet.

Struct09

Chichikov said:
Even if your sole goal is weight loss through dieting, counting calories is still a limited tool.

Of course there is nothing wrong with it in and by itself, but even when using it you can still end up with a pretty bad diet.

Yeah, I'm not trying to say that counting calories is the end-all-be-all of losing weight. But for many, it's a big enough step when starting out. Also there's typically a correlation between counting calories and making smart food choices. I don't think someone who is limiting themselves to 2000 calories per day is going to go and blow it in one trip to McDonald's.

If you want to see some interesting evidence about balance between calorie intake and exercising, I would suggest taking a look at this: http://www.truthinfitness.org/projects/mcDonalds/journal.html

This guy only ate McDonald's for 30 days, counted his calories, did his exercising, and his blood work actually improved.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Struct09 said:
Yeah, I'm not trying to say that counting calories is the end-all-be-all of losing weight. But for many, it's a big enough step when starting out. Also there's typically a correlation between counting calories and making smart food choices. I don't think someone who is limiting themselves to 2000 calories per day is going to go and blow it in one trip to McDonald's.

If you want to see some interesting evidence about balance between calorie intake and exercising, I would suggest taking a look at this: http://www.truthinfitness.org/projects/mcDonalds/journal.html

This guy only ate McDonald's for 30 days, counted his calories, did his exercising, and his blood work actually improved.

awesome link dude.

Chichikov said:

Well, calories and nutrients. If you can get enough nutrients per calorie, then it really doesn't matter if on the surface your diet looks 'bad'. Also if you require a high calorie diet a lot of times it is much easier to meet your nutrient needs.

Jirotrom

Struct09 said:

it makes sense, as it was the point I was trying to make, thing is each individual knows there body and if they are athletic, they know their boundaries. The problem with fast food and junk food is that they are easy to eat in excess on them. When you eat healthy you have a wider margin, but you can eat healthy foods and still have a tub in the mid section. Its always better to fuel your body with good fuel, over bad but even good fuel in excess of what your body needs can be bad. The hard part is finding the right balance for yourself.

yacobod

Banned
cant wait to go to the gym this afternoon for my favorite session

chest/back

i usually do

A. chest
B. back

rest like 15-20 seconds between chest and back excersises

switching back to dumbells for chest, going to try to make those 110s my bitch for 8 today

like i joke around with my friends, you don't want to go get fitted for a suit after this workout,

Might be switching to a Westside-style routine here in a bit, if I can't get this Texas method working out better. I've been making slow gains, and I think it's my fault that I'm stalling--for the first time in 4 or 5 weeks, I didn't get my reps. Gonna back off from the volume workout--if I'm still making PR's on Friday, I'll stick with it. Should probably cut out the assistance work if I'm feeling so overtrained.

Well for probably the umpteenth time I am trying to get in shape again. doing a walk/jog pattern on the treadmill at the ymca, eating heathier, not drinking soda at all, drinking my coffee black instead of with cream and sugar. later this week i'll be throwing wii fit into the mix (mainly as a way of keeping track of my weight, and to get myself moving a little bit in the morning)

yesterday was the first time i can remember that i was actually able to run for 3 minutes straight. doesn't sound like a lot, but to me it was great.

currently 279 lbs, 6'. Would like to be down to 220 by the end of the year.

helping myself by setting myself goals, giving myself a little prize every 10 pounds. the prize for the 220 mark is going to be a copy of EarthBound for SNES.

Jirotrom

JodyAnthony said:
Well for probably the umpteenth time I am trying to get in shape again. doing a walk/jog pattern on the treadmill at the ymca, eating heathier, not drinking soda at all, drinking my coffee black instead of with cream and sugar. later this week i'll be throwing wii fit into the mix (mainly as a way of keeping track of my weight, and to get myself moving a little bit in the morning)

yesterday was the first time i can remember that i was actually able to run for 3 minutes straight. doesn't sound like a lot, but to me it was great.

currently 279 lbs, 6'. Would like to be down to 220 by the end of the year.

helping myself by setting myself goals, giving myself a little prize every 10 pounds. the prize for the 220 mark is going to be a copy of EarthBound for SNES.
Hello... its good that you are setting goals, but from personal experience I think its better if you use a measuring tape. Weight tends to fluctuate too much considering the muscle you will gain when working out. I would measure your waistline and your quad area, upper torso area and bicep area for starters... well for starters I would focus on the waist first and set a simple go of dropping about an inch of your waist in a month. Only measure once every 2 weeks, try to keep yourself from measuring every day, youll get paranoid:p

deadbeef

Alright damnit, I'm signing up for the gym finally tomorrow after a 3 month break from any dumbbell or barbell that weighs more than 65 pounds. :/ Hopefully I haven't lost too much strength.

yacobod

Banned
yacobod said:
switching back to dumbells for chest, going to try to make those 110s my bitch for 8 today

110s made my a bitch, could only muster 7 reps, but that was an improvement over last week, maybe next week

Excerpts from an article from a cool thread on Fortified Iron http://www.fortified-iron.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34888 :

Kurt J. Wilkens, RKC
I have come to the following conclusion, after considerable research and study of much of the available material regarding the training methods and results of the so-called ‘old timers’, as well as current training methods and results: the ‘split’ routine has been the death of productive strength training and muscle building. Allow me to explain the reasoning behind this possibly shocking revelation…

First, I shall clarify what I mean by ‘split’ routine. As most of us are probably aware, the conventional use of the phrase split routine comes from bodybuilding; it refers to structuring ones training routine around the individual body parts/muscle groups. One example: Working chest, shoulders, and triceps one day, back and biceps the next, and legs the third day. Another, even worse (and you‘ll understand why by the end of the article), example: Legs one day, back one day, chest one day, shoulders one day, and arms one day. As I said, these are conventional examples of split routines, the type of things you would invariably find in what have been referred to as the “muscle comics” -- because what you find inside these ‘comics’ is so far-fetched and ridiculous, it has absolutely no resemblance to reality!

Another, more practical, type of split routine, would be to split the lifts -- take a handful of the big, compound, multi-joint exercises and work two or three each time you train. As you will soon see, this type of split can be very effective. For example: squats, pull-ups, and overhead presses one day, deadlifts and bench press another day, and maybe snatches and cleans-and-jerks on another day. It should be obvious, I hope, that the type of split routine that I have a problem with is the former, body part type.

It might not be the end of the world if the use of body part split routines were limited just to bodybuilding, but their insidious influence is found everywhere. Many amateur and professional athletes (in football, baseball, basketball, etc.), World’s Strongest Man competitors, powerlifters, and combative and tactical athletes of all types can be seen using the cursed split routine in their training. These are people who, in my opinion, should know better -- and whose athletic needs require a totally different approach to strength training and conditioning.
When Milo Steinborn came here from Germany, he brought with him the heavy, flat-footed squat. Prior to this, most lifters in this country were doing their squats with fairly light weights, up on their toes. This produced a certain degree of muscularity in the thighs (though not necessarily a lot), but didn’t contribute much in the way of startling total-body size and strength. With Steinborn’s version of the squat, that all changed -- and a revolution was founded! The heavy, flat-footed, high-rep squat would eventually become the cornerstone of most lifter’s routines, thanks in large part to the efforts of Joseph Curtis Hise and Peary Rader. Along with the squat, you would find many other heavy, multi-joint lifts being suggested by the top physical culturists of the time. This trend -- whole-body routines with an emphasis on heavy leg and back work -- would continue into the 1960s, but only barely.

...more often than not, it was expected that the routine would be performed on three non-consecutive days per week. Please note, there is nary a fly nor lateral raise nor leg extension in the bunch. (Apparently, however, curls have always been included as a concession to man’s preoccupation with big biceps.) Another thing you may notice is that, over the years, the routines tended to get a little shorter -- programs of 10-15 or more drills were becoming routines of 6-8 exercises, as they minimized any redundancy and eliminated some of the drills that were not maximally productive. Thus, they found it possible to develop whole-body size and strength without having to train each individual muscle with its own exercise. All of these programs -- both the longer ones and, especially, the shorter ones -- resulted in considerable increases in size and strength for anyone who tried them.
Years back, when I used to train in the gym with a training partner, we always used split routines -- typically chest/shoulders/triceps on Monday and Thursday, back/biceps Tuesday and Friday, and legs on Wednesday. My partner was a thick little mesomorph who made some progress on whatever program we were using; I, on the other hand, did not. It may also be worth noting that my partner made his progress while missing a good eight out of ten leg workouts, while I made virtually no progress while never missing a leg session. In each chest workout we would do the bench press, working up to a max each time (the idea that you need to max in each workout -- that’s a rant for another time), and I would always take a shot at the big ‘two wheels’, 225. Only on one or two occasions was I actually able to bench that 225 by myself, for a shaky, ugly rep -- and this was over the span of more than two years time. (While I constantly struggled with that 225, my partner went on to push 315, damned mesomorph …) Shortly after I quit the gym, I went on a ‘Hard Gainer’ type routine, training the whole body in each workout, and using only three or four lifts per session to do so. And after no more than about six months I was benching the sacred two wheels for reps -- three or four or five -- at home, by myself, with confidence, thank you very much.
Benefits of Whole-Body Routines vs. Split Routines

First, the endocrine response. According to modern sports science, the more muscle mass one uses in a training session, the greater the endocrine response; in other words, the more hormones that your body will release in response to your training. The old-time programs trained all the muscle groups in each workout; that’s a lot of muscle mass. Consider the gush of hGH and testosterone that would be sent coursing through the body after a workout that included heavy squats, deadlifts, standing presses, bent-over and upright rows, bench presses, DB swings, snatches, etc. And consider the muscle-building and fat-burning effects of all this hGH and test free-flowing through your system. Now, try to imagine how very little the squirt of hormones would be after a shoulder workout of seated DB presses (at least standing you would be getting some leg work, however minimal), lateral raises to the front and sides, bent laterals, and maybe some cable laterals for a little extra striation-training. Or worse, a ‘heavy’ arm workout: preacher curls, incline DB curls, maybe 21s to get a good burn; then ‘skull crushers’, seated French presses, and some pushdowns for the outer head, man. Diddly in the way of muscle-building and fat-burning!

Finally, we come to the issue of functionality. The isolation exercises that are the staple of most split routines are not functional in the least (beyond, perhaps, for training around an injury, or for rehab). When was the last time you needed to put something heavy on a shelf above your head and you chose to lift it at the end of your stiff, outstretched arm? Hopefully never. You would, I have to believe, do something that would resemble a continental clean and press -- deadlifting the load to waist height, struggling it up to the shoulders, and finally pressing it up overhead and sliding it onto the shelf. Whole-body routines using the big, multi-joint drills train the whole body as a unit -- as the name might imply. They teach your many muscle groups to work together in a unified, athletic fashion, and in the proper sequence: typically from the ground up, transferring force from the lower body, through the midsection, into the upper body, and out through the arms (more often than not, anyway). These drills also teach the muscles of the legs and core to stabilize the upper body against resistance, which is especially important not only in lifting but in many combative/contact sports.

More later. This is geared towards athletic/strength goals, btw.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I like this unbolded part

working up to a max each time (the idea that you need to max in each workout -- that’s a rant for another time)

I'm finding this to work very well for me.

Sol.. said:
I like this unbolded part

I'm finding this to work very well for me.

You're hitting a 1 rep max every workout?

crossline2.gif

You're gonna kill yourself, dude.

Alright I need a new workout plan...

I know that my routine is really bad right now im not working out my back barely at all or my legs here it is...

Day 1-
Biceps- Chin ups, dumbell curls, Machine curls, incline bench curls, (dont know the name of this workout but i take the pully machine and turn the other way and pull to work out my bies)

Triceps- Weighted dips usually a 45, the one where you life it over your head, a machine for triceps where you sit down and put your arms up and move them foward like your pounding a boxers gloves before a fight

Day 2-
Chest- Flat Bench, Incline bench, decline bench, dumbell bench, flys, and 1 or 2 machines

Shoulders- Sit down military press, one where you sit down and extend your arms, and then a 3 other machine workouts

Thats my workout ill add in another day sometimes and workout my back and abs. Yeah I know thats really bad that im supposed to workout out my back and legs alot. I need to add in squats and deadlifts also.

I bench rep 195 5x4. And all other workouts are on a 3x10 or 3x8 routine.

And for some reason I am very reluctant to change my workout even though I know its for the better.

Please help! Oh and sorry I dont know the names for some of the workouts

Edit: I can make it to the gym 3 times a week sometimes 4

Slo

Straightballin said:

I know that my routine is really bad right now im not working out my back barely at all or my legs here it is...

Day 1-
Biceps- Chin ups, dumbell curls, Machine curls, incline bench curls, (dont know the name of this workout but i take the pully machine and turn the other way and pull to work out my bies)

Triceps- Weighted dips usually a 45, the one where you life it over your head, a machine for triceps where you sit down and put your arms up and move them foward like your pounding a boxers gloves before a fight

Day 2-
Chest- Flat Bench, Incline bench, decline bench, dumbell bench, flys, and 1 or 2 machines

Shoulders- Sit down military press, one where you sit down and extend your arms, and then a 3 other machine workouts

Thats my workout ill add in another day sometimes and workout my back and abs. Yeah I know thats really bad that im supposed to workout out my back and legs alot. I need to add in squats and deadlifts also.

And for some reason I am very reluctant to change my workout even though I know its for the better.

Work the legs! Don't be a light bulb!

Philips%20Incandescent%20A-19%20Light%20Bulb.gif

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Straightballin said:

Day 1-

Day 2-

Relegating your Back, Abs and Legs to "things I'll do here and there" is recipe for awkward muscle building (atleast aesthically). Having pumped up chest, biceps and triceps but nothing else isn't really optimal I would think.

Abs should be the easiest thing to incorporate seeing as you don't need to go to the Gym at all to flatten it, strengthen it and build muscle. Crunches, Stomach Vacuums, Leg raises and Jacknifes can be done at home.

Straightballin said:

Day 1-

Day 2-

Honestly, you should know the answer to your own request.

Yeah I know thats really bad that im supposed to workout out my back and legs alot.

bad that im supposed to workout out my back and legs alot.

supposed to workout out my back and legs alot.

workout out my back and legs alot.

Christopher

Anyone take the cycling classes on cardio days at the gym? I noticed a lot more guys starting to take them, at first it was all girls and like guys sprinkeled here and there, but now a lot more are taking them. I take this RPM, and body pump - really good workouts, if I do body pump I always work it into my normal lifting routine as wellit's sorta the icing on the cake if you will ;p.

Slo

yacobod said:
fixed for great justice

edit:
honestly i hate how total body training is pushed in this thread like its the end all be all

since T-nation is referenced a lot

here we go

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1788475

Here's the secret: There is no best training program, top secret super routine, magical set and rep range, or "money" exercise. There is no best coach or trainer. There is no best philosophical camp with which to align yourself.

This "dirty little secret" doesn't disqualify the need to work out more than your chest and biceps in the least.

mr stroke

what are you guys listening to on your ipod while working out?
everything on mine is getting stale. I will listen to anything at the gym/running, just something that gets you fired up.

any suggestions?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hey, that's funny, I was reading about ectomorphs, endomorphs and mesomorphs earlier today. I'm definitely a mesomorph (I do have German blood, afterall :lol). Although I've never really trained until about 5 months ago, I find it incredibly easy to put muscle on. After about 3 months of a nice little weight routine I've got abs, biceps, shoulders coming in, chest needs some work, but most importantly my TRICEPS ARE FREAKIN HUGE!!!!!!

Edit: I do a split routine but am definitely planning on exploring different routines.

Draft

Any advantage/disadvantage to sumo deadlifts as opposed to standard deadlifts?

I'm getting really frustrated doing standard ones. I've been doing them for a while but my form was all fucked up and my upper back was getting engaged. I'm trying real hard to keep proper form but I've got these long legs and I just feel really off balance. Sumos feel better from a balance standpoint but I'm not so sure I want to switch to them or commit to working on standard form with lower weight for the next couple weeks and hope my balance improves.

Nooreo

Fucking Weather!, i was suppose to be jogging since the past 3 days and its been raining here(Newyork) on and off. T___T

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm personally doing the split routine but I'm sure once I hit 6+ months I'm going to have to really change up what I'm doing. Its going to be 5 Months of working out Next Week :D

yacobod

Banned
Slo said:
This "dirty little secret" doesn't disqualify the need to work out more than your chest and biceps in the least.

agreed

i just posted that article because i dislike vocal pundits of 1 set method of training principles

variety is the spice of life

mr stroke said:
everything on mine is getting stale. I will listen to anything at the gym/running, just something that gets you fired up.

any suggestions?

No idea what you like, but here are some artists and songs that I listen to:

Royksopp - "Poor Leno"
Jermaine Dupri - "Welcome to Atlanta"
Lupe Fiasco - "Go Go Gadget Flow"
3 Doors Down - "Citizen Soldier"
Chevelle - "The Red"
DJ Khaled - "We Takin' Over (Remix)"
Fat Joe - "Make it Rain"
Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc."
Jem - "24"
T-Pain - "Church"

I tend to like faster paced music, which really ends up being a lot of rap and hip-hop, with some occasional techno and rock for variation. Maybe this will give you some ideas, hopefully.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
mr stroke said:

any suggestions?

a mix of old and new, good and cheesy:

tupac - "how do you want it?"
weezer - "my name is jonas"
william shatner - "common people"
tullycraft - "bored to hear your heart still breaks"
tilly and the wall - "rainbows in the dark"
third eye blind - "wounded"
the strokes - "you only live once"
semisonic - "closing time"
saves the day - "all-star me"
reel big fish - "everything sucks," and "sell out"
rancid - "california sun"
mos def - "mr. nigga"
lord tariq and peter gunz - "deja vu"
j. geils band - "angel is the centerfold"
lupe fiasco - "daydreamin"
len - "steal my sunshine"
kanye west - "school spirit"
jon brion - "knock yourself out"
jeffrey lewis- "back when i was 4"
harvey danger - "flagpole sitta"
green day - "geek stink breath"
the get up kids - "red letter day"
fountains of wayne - "mexican wine," "stacy's mom," and "leave the biker"
filter - "take a picture"
face to face - "promises"
everclear - "santa monica"
del tha funkee homosapien - "if you must"
the decemberists - "billy liar"
death cab for cutie - "the sound of settling"
the coup - "we are the ones"
counting crows - "mr. jones"
brother ali - "uncle sam, goddamn"
ben kweller - "lizzy," "wasted and ready," and "hospital bed"
ben folds - "rockin the suburbs," "zak and sara," "army," and "all you can eat"
the ataris - "song 13"
at the drive-in - "one armed scissor"
audio karate - "nintendo 89"

what i look for in workout music varies song to song. sometimes it's the tone or pace--i like the way "wounded" by 3eb starts slow and builds to a nice tempo for running, for example--but in other cases the message is what matters most, keeping me positive and feeling like it's always worth trying and always worth finishing ("knock yourself out"). i like "bored to hear your heart still breaks" because it makes my problems feel small and silly, and when your body hurts a little, being able to laugh at how stupid your problems really are is a great tool.

yacobod said:
fixed for great justice

edit:
honestly i hate how total body training is pushed in this thread like its the end all be all

since T-nation is referenced a lot

here we go

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1788475

I don't think full body training is the magic program. I had to leave work before I could quote other parts of that article, including an advocation of upper/lower split workouts, which is what Westside is based on.

And honestly, just because it comes from T-Nation doesn't mean it's good, particularly when they use known users of steroids in their example pictures. T-Nation is full of a lot of shit, as well. But a lot of good comes out of T-Nation from time to time. That article is full of a lot of bs, though it's heart is in the right place.

Variety is good, but a complete change of program is not the key to progress. You shouldn't change your routine completely just because you aren't getting results anymore. Champion level elite weightlifters and powerlifters have everything PLANNED, with variation occurring only as a result of their judgment of recovery, and for good reason.

Chichikov

Draft said:

I'm getting really frustrated doing standard ones. I've been doing them for a while but my form was all fucked up and my upper back was getting engaged. I'm trying real hard to keep proper form but I've got these long legs and I just feel really off balance. Sumos feel better from a balance standpoint but I'm not so sure I want to switch to them or commit to working on standard form with lower weight for the next couple weeks and hope my balance improves.
Sumo deadlifts work more emphasis on the legs in the expense of the back.
If possible, I would stick with regular deadlifts.

Can you maybe elaborate on your form problems?
Do you have trouble keeping your shoulders out?

Chichikov

mr stroke said:

any suggestions?
I listen to whatever is in my current rotation, usually new albums I purchased or bands I'm about to see live.
But when going for personal best (or just raising weights and reps significantly) I usually go with Fugazi.
Been doing it for a while, so outside the fact that Fugazi kicks ass, I think my muscles are conditioned to push it to 11 when I put it on.

Draft said:

As was mentioned, they focus on your legs more than your bag. What sort of problems are you having with the standard ones? Your upper back being engaged is not a bad things. Long legs can be a problem with deadlifts, but its not an impossibility.

Draft

My problem with standard deadlifts is that in order to get my ass back and down enough to move most of the lift to my legs, I'm practically pulling my knees into my lower chest, or in a full on crouch.

When I put my ass in a more natural position, my upper back gets really rounded during the lift.

So really any deadlift tips at all would be appreciated.

Slo

Draft said:
My problem with standard deadlifts is that in order to get my ass back and down enough to move most of the lift to my legs, I'm practically pulling my knees into my lower chest, or in a full on crouch.

When I put my ass in a more natural position, my upper back gets really rounded during the lift.

So really any deadlift tips at all would be appreciated.

I do mostly sumo style. It seems to allow me to keep my arch better, and the wider stance allows for leg drive without going down as low.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't know much about dead lifts, draft, but when i used to do them--this was around six years ago, mind you--i was taught two different ways to do it: one, with that specialized dead lift bar with the triangle in which you stand, and two, with a standard olympic bar. the second method has you stand straddling the bar with your left foot in front, toes facing forward, and your right foot behind the bar with toes facing to the right. i put my left hand over the bar, my right hand under, and dip down into a squat and pull up the dead lift that way.

i actually can't remember if this method has been altogether proven to be worse or better than using the special dead lift bar, but if your problem is that your knees are getting locked in too close to your chest, this would at least keep them in a different position while still utilizing the proper muscles (so far as i can tell).

i'm sure someone can link you to some article on t-nation that speaks with greater authority, though. this is all coming from an ex-high school football player who was taught by a bunch of weight lifting retards who thought they knew everything, so ymmv.

Slo said:
I do mostly sumo style. It seems to allow me to keep my arch better, and the wider stance allows for leg drive without going down as low.

i think this is sorta what i was talking about, the main difference being the feet seem to stay behind the bar with this lift. again, i'm not sure what's more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom