• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
McLovin said:
I think my biggest mistake was that I was on a strict vegetarian diet. And I was running 3-4 times a week.. I also played DDR for like an hour 3-4 times a week and I was lifting heavy in the gym. The first thing that happened was that I stopped going up in weights because I couldn't go up(my muscles would just give out). Then I couldn't run as far as I use too. Then I just got weak as hell. I did loose weight though.. I was at 350lbs when I started and I mainly did cardio/ate less until I got to 325lbs in one month. At which point I started doing all that stuff at once. Cut out red meat at first.. chicken/soda/juice etc. I ended up at 275lbs in two months. But I always had headaches and was very grumpy. After the crash though I ballooned up to 305lbs. I want to focus on running and eating right I guess. I just hate going to the gym and not hitting the weights :(
Why were you on a strict vegetarian diet?

The reason you had headaches and mood problems was because your body wasn't getting the nutrition it needed to handle the stress you were putting it under.

McLovin

Yeah I know.. but I was just so tired of being over weight that I just went all out. I know not to make the same mistake again. Do you guys know what kind of food I should eat? I won't be cutting meat out this time around. But I will stop eating beef, white bread, and soda. Any suggestions on how much should I run/jog or work out?

Chichikov

McLovin said:
Yeah I know.. but I was just so tired of being over weight that I just went all out. I know not to make the same mistake again. Do you guys know what kind of food I should eat? I won't be cutting meat out this time around. But I will stop eating beef, white bread, and soda. Any suggestions on how much should I run/jog or work out?
Start by listing your current diet.

And I personally think the best way to get into shape (and consequently lose some fat) is through a combination of strength training and cardio.
Do you have a gym membership?

McLovin

Chichikov said:
Start by listing your current diet.

And I personally think the best way to get into shape (and consequently lose some fat) is through a combination of strength training and cardio.
Do you have a gym membership?

As far as diets go I'm not really on one now I'm still in the planning stages. So right now I'm just eating less then I normally do and I don't eat after 7pm. I do have a gym membership.

Struct09

McLovin said:
As far as diets go I'm not really on one now. I'm just eating less then I normally do and I don't eat after 7pm. I do have a gym membership.

By diet, I think he was asking for a list of what you eat during the day. You should not associate the term 'diet' with something that you do for temporary periods of time. Your diet is what you eat from day to day, no matter if you're limiting what you eat or not.

McLovin

Struct09 said:
By diet, I think he was asking for a list of what you eat during the day. You should not associate the term 'diet' with something that you do for temporary periods of time. Your diet is what you eat day in and day out, no matter if you're limiting what you eat or not.

I usually start the day off with a ham, egg, and cheese sandwich on wheat bread or a cup of oat meal. I eat this meal at 5:30am. For lunch whatever is available at 10am.. I usually have a snack or something at 12pm. Dinner is usually rice, beans, and some kind of meat at 6:30-7pm.

Chichikov

McLovin said:
I usually start the day off with a ham, egg, and cheese sandwich on wheat bread. For lunch whatever is available. Dinner is usually rice, beans, and some kind of meat.
Be specific.
The first step in building a healthy diet is being aware of what you're putting into your body.
If you're unsure right now, start taking notes (I'm dead serious).

McLovin

Chichikov said:
Be specific.
The first step in building a healthy diet is being aware of what you're putting into your body.
If you're unsure right now, start taking notes (I'm dead serious).
I'll start taking notes I just realized I eat something random for lunch every day :p

I think I got my diet down. All these foods are what I have at home and the conversion rate is already added:

1. Oatmeal, cinammon, honey, pumpkin seed, flaxseed, sliced bananas=673 calories/23.6 grams of protein

2. Scrambled eggs-2 eggs+1 TBSP of milk=180 calories/19 grams of protein

3. Bread, tuna fish, mayo= 429 calories/48 grams of protein

4. 5/8 cup of walnuts, have twice a day= 928 calories/21.6 grams of protein

5. Peanut butter (organic with no hydrogenated oil and has omega 3) 4 TBSP= 400 calories/16 grams of protein

6. Egg Whites for my shake 9 TBSP=75 calories/ 15 grams of protein

7. Cereal with milk ( 1 cup each)= 230 calories/11 grams of protein

TOTAL= 2915 calories/154.2 grams of protein.

Now dinner isn't included, so calories would easily reach over 3,000 and protein could possibly reach slightly over 180. I do eat fruits and vegetables daily.

Are the foods I listed unhealthy? In my opinion, it doesn't seem like it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I think I got my diet down. All these foods are what I have at home and the conversion rate is already added:

DIET

If you eat half a pound of chicken for dinner or mashed potatoes, you should easily reach 250g of protein.

A pound of chicken can contain up to like 150grams of protein by itself. Same with beef and fish.

Hell, eating a Myoplex deluxe protein bar and drinking a tall glass of Muscle Milk alone will net you over 50g of protein. It's not that hard to get up very high in protein intake.

reilo said:
If you eat half a pound of chicken for dinner or mashed potatoes, you should easily reach 250g of protein.

A pound of chicken can contain up to like 150grams of protein by itself. Same with beef and fish.

Hell, eating a Myoplex deluxe protein bar and drinking a tall glass of Muscle Milk alone will net you over 50g of protein. It's not that hard to get up very high in protein intake.

Yeah. Like I said, dinner isn't included so it would easily bump up by a lot. I eat everything from chicken to steak on a weekly basis.

I can't wait to start this plan.

reilo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
One more thing. How big is 5/8 of a cup? Say I half a cup of walnuts. Do I add like another third or less to the half cup to equal 5/8?

5/8 = .5125 cups

Or 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup.

So, if you are adding 1/2cup of walnuts, you add 1/4 in addition to what you just added.

Gotcha.

EDIT- What should I eat pre/post workout?

I'm thinking pre workout- Oatmeal-673 calories/23.6 grams of protein

Post workout- Scrambled eggs+ 1 TPBS milk and 2 TBS of peanut butter. 380 calories/27 grams of protein

McLovin

Jason's Ultimatum said:

Now dinner isn't included, so calories would easily reach over 3,000 and protein could possibly reach slightly over 180. I do eat fruits and vegetables daily.
Are you trying to get bigger?
I use to drink protein shakes.. one hour before a work out.. after the workout and right before bed. Got really strong but I got really big really fast. Had to stop because I couldn't burn the fat off fast enough.

Slo

5/8 = .625 you meat heads.

McLovin said:
Are you trying to get bigger?
I use to drink protein shakes.. one hour before a work out.. after the workout and right before bed. Got really strong but I got really big really fast. Had to stop because I couldn't burn the fat off fast enough.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

McLovin

Slo said:
5/8 = .625 you meat heads.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
hey thats what the instructions said :/ besides that was from a looooong time ago.

reilo said:

How big is half a pound of chicken? Like two legs?

McLovin

Slo said:
Do you remember how much weight you put on?
Like 25lbs in like 2 months I think. All I remember was that I got really strong and hadn't looked at a scale for a long time. But when I did I was horrified.

I dunno. Besides the oatmeal, tuna fish sandwhich, and whatever I eat for dinner, it isn't that bad. Everything else are just small snacks. Maybe I can substitute a few items with my grocery store's chicken they sell in the deli section.

EDIT-I'll cut out cereal and add the milk to my shake.

Slo

McLovin said:
Like 25lbs in like 2 months I think. All I remember was that I got really strong and hadn't looked at a scale for a long time. But when I did I was horrified.

To put on 25 pounds in 8 weeks, you'd have to be eating 1500 calories above maintenance per day. You didn't get that from two protein shakes.

And, this is just my personal opinion, if you're getting "strong as hell" during two months of bulking, then most of that 25 pounds wasn't fat.

Jason's Ultimatum said:

1. Oatmeal, cinammon, honey, pumpkin seed, flaxseed, sliced bananas=673 calories/23.6 grams of protein

2. Scrambled eggs-2 eggs+1 TBSP of milk=180 calories/19 grams of protein

3. Bread, tuna fish, mayo= 429 calories/48 grams of protein

4. 5/8 cup of walnuts, have twice a day= 928 calories/21.6 grams of protein

5. Peanut butter (organic with no hydrogenated oil and has omega 3) 4 TBSP= 400 calories/16 grams of protein

6. Egg Whites for my shake 9 TBSP=75 calories/ 15 grams of protein

7. Cereal with milk ( 1 cup each)= 230 calories/11 grams of protein

Are the foods I listed unhealthy? In my opinion, it doesn't seem like it.

Only thing in there that might be "unhealthy" in my opinion is the cereal. I think you've mentioned what kind it was in here before, but I can't find it now. As long as it isn't some shit like Frosted Flakes or Fruit Loops or other sugary nonsense it's probably fine though... and, even then, a bit of extra sugar isn't unhealthy, just might be added crap you aren't looking for in your diet.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
McLovin said:
I think my biggest mistake was that I was on a strict vegetarian diet. And I was running 3-4 times a week.. I also played DDR for like an hour 3-4 times a week and I was lifting heavy in the gym. The first thing that happened was that I stopped going up in weights because I couldn't go up(my muscles would just give out). Then I couldn't run as far as I use too. Then I just got weak as hell. I did loose weight though.. I was at 350lbs when I started and I mainly did cardio/ate less until I got to 325lbs in one month. At which point I started doing all that stuff at once. Cut out red meat at first.. chicken/soda/juice etc. I ended up at 275lbs in two months. But I always had headaches and was very grumpy. After the crash though I ballooned up to 305lbs. I want to focus on running and eating right I guess. I just hate going to the gym and not hitting the weights :(

I hit the same situation as you not a month and a half ago. Exactly the same situation. The grumpyness thing ruined a few relationships. Eventually i just started streamlining the routine and it helped a whole bunch. But at the same time while my workload isn't that much different. My gains seem to be more on the performance/strength side than weight loss side.

It's annoying me and i'm not sure what to do. I'm also considering doing more cardio than lifting.

P.S. whats wrong with cereal? I having a small bowl of the "healthier" version of raisin brand as a meal sometimes for lunch.

reilo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
How big is half a pound of chicken? Like two legs?

Two boneless chicken breasts = ~.75lbs 1lbs depends on how it was cut.

And yeah, 5/8 = .625

I thought I wrote that but for some reason I calculated .0125 in my head instead of .125 :D

The rest of my math was correct though.

Jirotrom

Mr.City said:
Dips are hurting my hands. I usually feel a lot of pressure on my palms. Am I doing it wrong or do I have freak hands?
you just need a stronger grip, which will develop over time. Or you could build your forearms with the weight on a rope thing.... burns like a bitch.:D

McLovin

Slo said:
To put on 25 pounds in 8 weeks, you'd have to be eating 1500 calories above maintenance per day. You didn't get that from two protein shakes.

And, this is just my personal opinion, if you're getting "strong as hell" during two months of bulking, then most of that 25 pounds wasn't fat.
It was actually 3 shakes a day and it had 50+ grams of protein each serving I'm pretty sure it was over 2000 calories.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
McLovin said:
It was actually 3 shakes a day and it had 50+ grams of protein each serving I'm pretty sure it was over 2000 calories.

dyam man.

I'm no professional but wouldn't beefing up on protein....beef you up?

Thats why i don't touch the stuff in my efforts to shed the poundage.

Shakes that is, i still feast on the flesh of lesser creatures.

McLovin

Sol.. said:
dyam man.

I'm no professional but wouldn't beefing up on protein....beef you up?

Thats why i don't touch the stuff in my efforts to shed the poundage.

Shakes that is, i still feast on the flesh of lesser creatures.

Yeah it gives you alot of muscle and allot of fat if you don't work out right. I wouldn't recommend them if you where trying to loose weight. I haven't taken protein shakes for a couple of years now and since I'm trying to loose weight theirs no way I'm gonna start drinking them now.

Sol.. said:
I hit the same situation as you not a month and a half ago. Exactly the same situation. The grumpyness thing ruined a few relationships. Eventually i just started streamlining the routine and it helped a whole bunch. But at the same time while my workload isn't that much different. My gains seem to be more on the performance/strength side than weight loss side.

It's annoying me and i'm not sure what to do. I'm also considering doing more cardio than lifting.

P.S. whats wrong with cereal? I having a small bowl of the "healthier" version of raisin brand as a meal sometimes for lunch.
Good to see you worked thought it. I couldn't take it. If I could do it over again I would probably have eaten more and stuck to one thing.. either loosing weight or gaining muscle.. but not both.

YYZ

ok I have a huge problem with shoulder press, I hurt my wrists last time I tried to do them and it wasn't a particularly heavy weight (I guess for me it was).

I don't know what the problem is, I keep trying to stick my elbows in front of my body but my wrists get some strain. It's awkward for me to maintain the position that Rippetoe recommends and trying to raise the bar.

I will try to look at more videos, but this exercise is pissing me off.

Slo

McLovin said:

Oh. So it wasn't protein. It was those garbage "weight gainer" shakes that are obscenely loaded with sugar. Yeah, don't drink those "weight gainer" shakes unless you want to um.....gain weight.

reilo said:
Two boneless chicken breasts = ~.75lbs 1lbs depends on how it was cut.

And yeah, 5/8 = .625

I thought I wrote that but for some reason I calculated .0125 in my head instead of .125 :D

The rest of my math was correct though.

So if I really eat half a pound a chicken and mashed potatoes, I should easily reach 250g of protein, as you've mentioned? That's seems a lot for so little. So what would be my best bet then? Two boneless breasts with a baked potatoe?

I may end up doing this 3 times a week. Eating those foods I've listed is just too much.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Jason's Ultimatum said:
So if I really eat half a pound a chicken and mashed potatoes, I should easily reach 250g of protein, as you've mentioned? That's seems a lot for so little. So what would be my best bet then? Two boneless breasts with a baked potatoe?

I may end up doing this 3 times a week. Eating those foods I've listed is just too much.

Half a pound of white chicken/breast meat is only around 75g of protein.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20BK.html

Here's how my diet looks usually @ 175lbs, i'm just maintaining my weight with this.

-5 scrambled eggs, 500ml-1Litre milk, oatmeal+ banana/toast+ banana/or 2x banana
-250ml cottage cheese/banana + water
-1/2lb chicken + potatoes/rice or salad + water
-250ml cottage cheese/banana + water
-Undrained Can of tuna + fruit or potatoe + 500ml fruit juice
-1/2lb of chicken or 2 Salmon fillet + potatoes/rice or salad + 500ml-1litre milk

Sometimes I have extra glasses of milk with my last meals and sometimes I don't take in exactly that amount of carbs on off days.

Cheat meals

On Friday I usally have two A&W chubby burgers with onio rings & large rootbeer instead of tuna, and sometimes i'll have a box of chicken wings. I cheat with Tomato and basilic rice cakes which are good and healthy so delicious... :lol

I've been semi-frequently eating canned chicken hot dogs (sausages) lately, cause they come in affordable and very convenient packs. I just pop the can open, eat a few sausages and put the rest in the fridge for later that day or the next morning... Is this bad for any reason? I know they're not purely made of chicken meat, so I wonder what's their protein/fat/carb content. No such information is provided on the can except list of ingredients.

reilo

Jason's Ultimatum said:

No, you'd reach 250g with a combination of half a pound of chicken, 3 large potatoes [mashed, fried, etc], which would net you around 100g of protein and then add the other stuff you planned out and a Muscle Milk shake [or equivalent ~21g] plus a Myoplex Deluxe bar [~30g], and you are reaching 200g+ easily.

So, essentially, you can get ~150g out of:

Half a pound of chicken [or beef or fish or pork] +
Potatoes [cooked, fried, mashed, etc] +
Muscle Milk +
Myoplex Deluxe bar

To reach 250g+ you then eat all the other stuff you listed earlier.

I get ~45g from breakfast alone by eating:

Two plain bagels with cream cheese [1 bagel = 11g, a cream cheese widget = 4g] +
A generic protein shake [13g] +
Banana [~1-2g]

Which adds up to 45g of protein. And that's just breakfast. I could up that to ~60g of protein by drinking another protein shake.

reilo said:
No, you'd reach 250g with a combination of half a pound of chicken, quarter pound of potatoes [mashed, fried, etc], which would net you around 100g of protein and then add the other stuff you planned out and a Muscle Milk shake [or equivalent ~21g] plus a Myoplex Deluxe bar [~30g], and you are reaching 200g+ easily.

So, essentially, you can get ~150g out of:

Half a pound of chicken [or beef or fish or pork] +
Potatoes [cooked, fried, mashed, etc] +
Muscle Milk +
Myoplex Deluxe bar

To reach 250g+ you then eat all the other stuff you listed earlier.

Why are potatoes included in a protein count calculation?

reilo

Naked Snake said:
Why are potatoes included in a protein count calculation?

You can get 5g of protein from eating a medium-large sized potato?

1cup of mashed potatoes = 21g of protein

1 5oz potato = 4g of protein

jacf29

Banned
Ok it's the Sunday 0f week 2 and here is where I am at.

START: 204 pounds

Week 1: 201 pounds

Week 2: 199 pounds

I'm under the 200 mark yay!!!! Now another week of this.

reilo

Also, pasta has a very high protein count [like 13g per 3.5oz/100g of serving] and it is damn delicious, too.

Making chicken pasta alfredo will overload you with protein like no other. Along with pasta bolognese [cooked ground beef + tomato sauce + pasta] and any variations thereof [lasagna, meatballs, etc].

Wow this is the first time I knew things like potatoes and pasta contain good amounts of protein! I always looked at them as high glycemic pure carbs and thus avoided them.

reilo

Naked Snake said:
Wow this is the first time I knew things like potatoes and pasta contain good amounts of protein! I always looked at them as high glycemic pure carbs and thus avoided them.

Nope. They are probably one of the easiest ways to stock upon protein for the day - especially if you combine it with other high-protein foods such as chicken, beef, pork, and fish. And it tastes damn good, too.

Muscle milk has way too much sugar. I'm gonna go with with what Captain suggested:

Metabolic Drive from Biotest. 0 grams of sugar. 20 grams of protein per scoop. I wonder how much are they.

How many protein shakes a day is too much? I sometimes end up having 3 more per day (whey and casein, 24 to 30g per shake), I weigh 143 pounds and I can't usually afford or have the time or appetite to meet my daily quota of protein from meals and natural sources, so I end up relying on shakes to fill the gaps. I'm not sure I even meet the recommended 1 gram per pound of body weight on most days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom