• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
neojubei said:
I am thinking of taking some in-line skating classes, would that be a good way to work?

Can't spell activity without activ....e.

Uhhhhh.

*shrug* It's all about intensity. You can make anything a good workout if you truly lay down the effort.

So I did legs today after not doing them for almost two years, and OMG at the weight I was doing. My max use to be 315 for a few reps. Today, I could only do 155 for 5 reps. :lol :lol :lol :lol

I could feel my hamstrings starting to cramp on me, so there was no way I was going to do dumbell lunges. I just used my bodyweight. The cramps should pass once I start doing legs more. Hopefully I regain my strength from squats and leg presses, because going from 315 to 155 is just embarrassing. :lol :lol

After finishing my calves at the gym, I went to my apartment building and standed on the ball of my feet going up to the third floor, going back down, and up again 5 times.

Troblin

Qwerty710710 said:
Wow 26 pounds in 3 months, I have to be doing something wrong ever since I worked out last year my body has barely changed. I look the same skinny self with man boobs it's really pissing me off.

It's probably diet.

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Jason's Ultimatum said:
So I did legs today after not doing them for almost two years, and OMG at the weight I was doing. My max use to be 315 for a few reps. Today, I could only do 155 for 5 reps. :lol :lol :lol :lol

I could feel my hamstrings starting to cramp on me, so there was no way I was going to do dumbell lunges. I just used my bodyweight. The cramps should pass once I start doing legs more. Hopefully I regain my strength from squats and leg presses, because going from 315 to 155 is just embarrassing. :lol :lol

After finishing my calves at the gym, I went to my apartment building and standed on the ball of my feet going up to the third floor, going back down, and up again 5 times.

Hopefully you stretched a lot and are prepared for the backlash of soreness tomorrow. Or you are one of the lucky ones who doesn't really get sore. Honestly though, I was in the same boat a few months ago (although it was not that I had stopped doing legs, it's that I never started) and my max has grown leaps and bounds. You'll definitely be back soon enough.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
neptunes said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet (it probably has)

but has anyone seen the 24hour ghetto workout? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8

look at the part where that one dude is doing 90 degree push/pull ups WOW!!!

My friend up in NY worked out with some of those guys. Styles P got into the best shape of his life in prison by doing those workouts. It's a bunch of ex-cons that have transformed their lives and now work with some Boys & Girls clubs to help out kids stay off the streets.

My friend said that when he worked out with them doing this, he never has burned out so damn quick in his entire life - and he's been working out since he was 15 and is in great shape already.

Brendonia said:
Hopefully you stretched a lot and are prepared for the backlash of soreness tomorrow. Or you are one of the lucky ones who doesn't really get sore. Honestly though, I was in the same boat a few months ago (although it was not that I had stopped doing legs, it's that I never started) and my max has grown leaps and bounds. You'll definitely be back soon enough.

Just curious--has stretching been linked to reducing soreness? I don't stretch before or during a workout as it reduces power output. I usually stretch after or on my days off. I know that the old adage is "stretch to reduce soreness" but have there been studies on this? Thanks!

Captain Glanton said:
I weighed myself at the gym the other day--222 lbs. That was a bit of a wake-up call. I've tightened up my diet and really upped the amount of conditioning work I've been doing--I posted the new type of workout I've started over the weekend [or thereabouts]. I even looked into buying a wrestling dummy, but there wasn't anything here in town. Instead I've just upped the intensity and difficulty of the workouts I've been doing. I'd like to be at 210 a month from now.

Yo, throw some of those pounds this way. If you lose 12 pounds and I gain 12 pounds, we'll both be happy
send me muscle weight only, plz

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
Mr. Snrub said:
Just curious--has stretching been linked to reducing soreness? I don't stretch before or during a workout as it reduces power output. I usually stretch after or on my days off. I know that the old adage is "stretch to reduce soreness" but have there been studies on this? Thanks!

To be honest, my personal experience has been that when I stretch afterwards or on my off days the soreness is reduced. I don't typically stretch all that much before I start lifting unless I am feeling tight anyway. After a heavy set though it definitely helps to pull out some of the lactic acid build-up, at least for me it works. Off hand I don't know of any studies, but from what I've read in different books on strength and lifting, stretching is not integral to anything but is not harmful either.

Jirotrom

Shit... back from my back blasting, sucks that it is raining outside, I was going to throw kettlebells in the backyard this evening... I'll do it inside then:p

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Quick question, when you train you always feel really pumped and you're body's rockhard. If your fat percentage is really low and you're high on muscle would your body feel like that all the time or would you just feel normal?

OK so I got back in exercising regularly. My problem isn't so much getting back into it. The problem is my family they aren't exactly supporters of my fitness awareness. To keep this short eating alot of food and next to no exercise seems ok.

Where as running and working out every other day and eating really healthy meals isn't. You have to keep in mind I'm 5'11 & weight 150 and eat really well in my opinion. Not that I need their support because I do this because I like it but its a short of mental drag. Anyone have this problem?

Jirotrom

Urban Scholar said:
OK so I got back in exercising regularly. My problem isn't so much getting back into it. The problem is my family they aren't exactly supporters of my fitness awareness. To keep this short eating alot of food and next to no exercise seems ok.

Where as running and working out every other day and eating really healthy meals isn't. You have to keep in mind I'm 5'11 & weight 150 and eat really well in my opinion. Not that I need their support because I do this because I like it but its a short of mental drag. Anyone have this problem?
thats pretty messed up, so you are stating your family shuns exercise?

Struct09

Teetris said:
Quick question, when you train you always feel really pumped and you're body's rockhard. If your fat percentage is really low and you're high on muscle would your body feel like that all the time or would you just feel normal?

When I bring my bodyfat % down really low, the only thing I notice is that I feel colder more often. Which makes sense.

Jirotrom said:
thats pretty messed up, so you are stating your family shuns exercise?

Not really, its just that their still getting used to the fact the fat kid I was is long gone since my teen years. I guess maybe because they feel its so hard to do yet I manage might have to do with something. They aren't in the wrong just overly worried I figure

Jirotrom

Urban Scholar said:
Not really, its just that their still getting used to the fact the fat kid I was is long gone since my teen years. I guess maybe because they feel its so hard to do yet I manage might have to do with something. They aren't in the wrong just overly worried I figure
maybe you should explain to them that you are trying to have a healthy lifestyle.

Slo

Urban Scholar said:

Speaking of toxic people: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=636910

Teetris said:

No...that would mean your blood is constantly being pumped to those muscle. And that wouldn't be good.

"High on muscle"? I've never snorted biceps before.

Jirotrom

Urban Scholar said:
Yeah your right, I haven't really done that up to now. Thanks!
i mean... dont offend them, do it in a tactful way.

Mr. Snrub said:
No...that would mean your blood is constantly being pumped to those muscle. And that wouldn't be good.

blood is constantly being pumped to those muscles:p just not at a high volume.:D

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Urban Scholar said:

My parents tried the "overly worried" thing in 2005-06 when I lost a ton of weight. They claimed I was anorexic/bulemic or something, but I just laughed at them as it was very clear that I cycled/walked 10-12 miles a day and was at the gym 3 days a week. The fact that they showed no concern when I put the weight back on last year told me all I needed to know really.

Slo said:

It's a good article, and fits with the above.

Jirotrom said:
i mean... dont offend them, do it in a tactful way.

blood is constantly being pumped to those muscles:p just not at a high volume.:D

Oh come on. :D

Somewhat related to that is this bit on "muscles at rest":

Practical Programming said:
The modern fitness industry's concept of "toning" muscles is specious--it might sound cool, but it lacks any tangible and definable meaning. The term "muscle tone" or tonus describes an electrophysiological phenomenon, a measure of ionic flow across muscle cell membranes. It can be thought of as the muscle's readiness to do anaerobic work. The more fit the muscle, the more electrophysiological activity it exhibits at rest. Lack of exercise leads to poor tone, aerobic exercise improves tone a little bit, low-intensity weight training improves tone more, and high-intensity training improves tone the fastest. As a test, go poke the traps or quads of an elite weightlifter at rest, if she'll let you. They'll be hard as rock. The same muscles of an elite road cyclist as rest will be firm, but not hard. Then compare the athletes' muscle tone to that of a sedentary person. The results will be quite enlightening. Most exercise programs that claim to improve muscle tone are actually lower-intensity hypertrophy programs and are only moderately effective for improving muscle tone. If "tone" is the goal, strength is the method.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Mr. Snrub said:

How the hell I wrote that is beyond me. :lol

Anyways, thanks for the answers. This summer is going to be work + gym everyday for me! Got my schedule setup and will be working my ass off.

There's this lesbian, butched up woman at my gym who's like 5'2. Thin but muscular. She workouts with the powerlifters in the back of the gym, and my one friend who use to lift them would always tell everyone how she could pull in the high 400s. I keep telling him that when you're that short, the bar is already up in the air! :lol :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Sol.. said:
Can't spell activity without activ....e.

Uhhhhh.

*shrug* It's all about intensity. You can make anything a good workout if you truly lay down the effort.

ok, I've always wanted to learn. I think I will mix it up by jogging as well.

Teetris said:
I find that feeling good/strong/hard comes to feel normal. When I've had periods where I didn't exercise [even just over Christmas or something], it shocks me to think that feeling so weak/soft/bad is what's normal for most Americans.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Since over-eating on protein is bad for you, do you think with me eating 180 grams or a bit more (I weigh 160) would be bad for me?

Overeating protein is bad for you? I've heard speculation about liver problems, but are there any studies? Just curious.

I weigh 180 and get about 200g a day. I know plenty of bodybuilders who overload (2x bodyweight in grams) just to be absolutely damned sure they're getting it.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Mr. Snrub said:
Overeating protein is bad for you? I've heard speculation about liver problems, but are there any studies? Just curious.

I weigh 180 and get about 200g a day. I know plenty of bodybuilders who overload (2x bodyweight in grams) just to be absolutely damned sure they're getting it.

I think the liver problem thing has to do with replacing all carbs with protein and how the process can start a natural creation of some toxin in the body. Fuck my cousin was telling me about this not two weeks ago (she's a biochemist). I'm sure you can find it with a quick google search.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Captain Glanton said:
I find that feeling good/strong/hard comes to feel normal. When I've had periods where I didn't exercise [even just over Christmas or something], it shocks me to think that feeling so weak/soft/bad is what's normal for most Americans.
That's true, between my lazy and bodybuilding periods I'm like 2 different persons. I always feel really guilty for eating stuff high on fat/sugar/whatever when I'm training, even always watch the nutritional value on the back. But don't care when eating 2 whole packs of Kinder chocolate bars if I haven't trained in over a week or so. Guess not only your body changes but your whole inside as well.

Struct09

Sol.. said:
I think the liver problem thing has to do with replacing all carbs with protein and how the process can start a natural creation of some toxin in the body. Fuck my cousin was telling me about this not two weeks ago (she's a biochemist). I'm sure you can find it with a quick google search.

If your body is trying to rapidly convert amino acids (protein) into glucose (carbs) it can result in a build up of ammonia since your body can't convert it to urine quick enough. This is a problem you'd see if your diet was nearly all protein with no carbohydrates or fat, and is something you'd suffer if you experienced Rabbit Starvation.

Too much protein can likely be harmful, but my guess it would probably have to be A LOT extra if you're eating normally (having carbohydrates and fat in your diet).

Inspired by the truly amazing OP in the Ninja Gaiden II official thread on the Gaming side, I've decided to redo and improve the OP here.

One thing I'd like to have is a nice banner at the top of the thread. Unfortunately, my photoshop skills are more 'shit' than 'nice.' Anyone have a few minutes to work something up? I'm open to good ideas, but I'd definitely like for it to be more inventive than just an old Arnold pic. And nothing that will get us locked!

Thanks!

Captain Glanton said:
Inspired by the truly amazing OP in the Ninja Gaiden II official thread on the Gaming side, I've decided to redo and improve the OP here.

One thing I'd like to have is a nice banner at the top of the thread. Unfortunately, my photoshop skills are more 'shit' than 'nice.' Anyone have a few minutes to work something up? I'm open to good ideas, but I'd definitely like for it to be more inventive than just an old Arnold pic. And nothing that will get us locked!

Thanks!

I'm at work, but I'll find some essential pics to make a part of the banner Would only be fair to have a combo of power lifting, weightlifting, and bodybuilding greats.

Google

Does anyone have specific scheduling or tips for Pre-Season rugby training?

I need some advice for high intensity cardio sessions, as well as some general conditioning techniques.

There are plans all over the internet, but does anyone have anything specific?

A pair of food preparation questions, if someone would be so kind as to answer them I would appreciate it!

How do you prepare your tuna and oatmeal? Tuna, I don't hate, but I don't really love either, so I'm not sure how to eat it besides just choking it down.

Oatmeal, I have one of those big tubs of it (not the individual packages), and I'm trying to figure out ways to spice it up a bit without just loading it with sugar. I've found adding some sliced banana is nice, or even a drop of vanilla extract. Any other suggestions?

Mark Rippetoe in his early days:
RipDeadlift.jpg

Bill Starr, mentor of Rippetoe and a pillar of sport strength training:
bill-starr.jpg

David Rigert, Russian weightlifting champ:
Rigert-Relaxes-Color.jpg

Pyrros Dimas, Greek weightlifting national hero:
2004-08-22oly_pyrros.jpg

John Grimek, classic bodybuilder:
aweightlifting.jpg

Bill Pearl, bodybuilding legend:
Bill_wt_bench.jpg

bill.jpg

Reg Park, classic bodybuilder:
regpark4.jpg

I have an awesome pic of Arnold that has to be included, it's at home.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Soka said:
A pair of food preparation questions, if someone would be so kind as to answer them I would appreciate it!

How do you prepare your tuna and oatmeal? Tuna, I don't hate, but I don't really love either, so I'm not sure how to eat it besides just choking it down.
Most people I know use them on their sandwiches along with mayo and other stuff. I always put some on a plate, along with some leftover rice. Sambal, or any other kind of hot sauce, that up and you have a great meal. And since I eat it cold, it's great as a midnight snack when you need to grab something from the fridge.

Google

Teetris said:
Most people I know use them on their sandwiches along with mayo and other stuff. I always put some on a plate, along with some leftover rice. Sambal, or any other kind of hot sauce, that up and you have a great meal. And since I eat it cold, it's great as a midnight snack when you need to grab something from the fridge.

It's fairly harsh, but I have my Tuna like this:

Bed of Lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers, with a can of tuna drained and sprinkled onto the lettuce.

Throw a bunch of pepper on it, and if your diet allows, have a piece of toast to go with it.

Google said:
Does anyone have specific scheduling or tips for Pre-Season rugby training?

I need some advice for high intensity cardio sessions, as well as some general conditioning techniques.

There are plans all over the internet, but does anyone have anything specific?
BigGreenMat is the one you want to talk to.

Soka said:

Oatmeal, I have one of those big tubs of it (not the individual packages), and I'm trying to figure out ways to spice it up a bit without just loading it with sugar. I've found adding some sliced banana is nice, or even a drop of vanilla extract. Any other suggestions?
I put my oatmeal in with my protein mix and skim milk and some natural peanut butter for my 'first lunch.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom