• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

reilo said:
Also, pasta has a very high protein count [like 13g per 3.5oz/100g of serving] and it is damn delicious, too.

Making chicken pasta alfredo will overload you with protein like no other. Along with pasta bolognese [cooked ground beef + tomato sauce + pasta] and any variations thereof [lasagna, meatballs, etc].

Alfredo is horrible for you. Simple carbs + TONS of fat. 100g of pasta also has nearly 400 calories and few people limit themselves to 100g in one serving. So, to get 13g of protein you are getting nearly 400 cal. By contrast, 8oz. of chicken breast(a full half pound, a pretty large serving) gives you about four times the protein content in about half of the calories. Pasta is one of the first things that should be heavily moderated on a healthy diet, IMO.

EDIT: Bah, I thought the guy was trying to lose. Even gaining, though, tons of stuff like alfredo and lasagna is going to blow you up with fat.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Wraith said:
Alfredo is horrible for you. Simple carbs + TONS of fat. 100g of pasta also has nearly 400 calories and few people limit themselves to 100g in one serving. So, to get 13g of protein you are getting nearly 400 cal. By contrast, 8oz. of chicken breast(a full half pound, a pretty large serving) gives you about four times the protein content in about half of the calories. Pasta is one of the first things that should be heavily moderated on a healthy diet, IMO.

EDIT: Bah, I thought the guy was trying to lose. Even gaining, though, tons of stuff like alfredo and lasagna is going to blow you up with fat.

Yeah, we are trying to gain :lol

If you are doing your workouts regularly, you won't have to worry about packing on fat.

Jirotrom

You know what a good breakfast is... 3 boiled eggs chopped up still hot with yolks removed ( I dont like the taste of yolks by themselves) On top of hot Kashi go lean crunch cereal. I love hot cereal, and the go lean crunch is good as well as packs a good amount of fiber protein and omega 3s. the egg whites have a fair amount of protein themselves:D

Captain Glanton said:
Snacks: nuts are a very calorie- and protein-dense snack. So are raisins, but they have spoonfuls of [natural] sugar in them.

I'm not a fan of bodypart splits like that. I use an upper/lower split, but certain Simspons-themed posters are big proponents of total body workouts. I might do this:

M: Lower
Tue: Upper Horizontal Plane [bench press, barbell rows for your 'base' lifts]

F: Lower
Sat: Upper Vertical Plane [overhead press, pullups for your 'base' lifts]

You should definitely deadlift, but don't do it on leg day! If I were using the split I've posted here, I might make Wed. a 'deadlift & cardio' day or something.

Been out for the better part of the end of the week, didn't see much. Haha, Glanton, I actually might be transitioning to an upper/lower split...we'll see. I've done well on full body routines and love working my legs each workout. My body seems to respond to it well.

Jason, you sound similar to me. I have a small bone structure (asian genes in family) and am what is considered a "hard gainer". I am 5'11" and down to about 180 lbs now (actually, a bit less--overtraining fucked me up :( ). I'm trying to get close to 200.

What routine did you decide on? Glanton gave you some damned solid pointers and like he said, an upper/lower split would probably be far more beneficial than what you initially had planned out.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Okay fitness-gaf, I could use a little help since I'm pretty new to this. I haven't really had any weight issues in the past so I'm pretty inexperienced with exercise programs, but college food is starting to give me love handles so I thought I should just nip this in the bud.

So what's the best option for burning fat? As in what sort of exercises should I be doing and what kind of diet? (I'm guessing a low carb diet?) The only exercise I've been doing is some jogging a few times a week.

Struct09

Naked Snake said:
Wow this is the first time I knew things like potatoes and pasta contain good amounts of protein! I always looked at them as high glycemic pure carbs and thus avoided them.

While they do contain some protein, they are not sources of complete protein. You shouldn't rely on grains to be a primary source of protein, unless you're really good at mixing them with other types of food (such as legumes) to make sure you're getting good amounts of all the essential amino acids.

Jirotrom said:
You know what a good breakfast is... 3 boiled eggs chopped up still hot with yolks removed ( I dont like the taste of yolks by themselves) On top of hot Kashi go lean crunch cereal. I love hot cereal, and the go lean crunch is good as well as packs a good amount of fiber protein and omega 3s. the egg whites have a fair amount of protein themselves:D

I love eggs, but they give me serious bloating, I've stopped eating them completely :(

Is it possible to keep the frame I have now, but only make my muscles bigger? If I decided to focus on eating a lot of proteins instead of calories or carbs, could I make my muscles grow without putting on weight, besides muscle mass?

Also, I went to my grocery store and bought a 1/2 whole rotisserie chicken. The one I saw was 2 pounds, and he said he'd cut it to make it a 1/2 chicken. So, that would make it a pound of chicken left, right? Could I get around 75g of protein if I eat half of that?

edit-It looks like he cut off the wings or legs. I can't tell, lol. I don't want to eat all of it because it's still big. Just hoping to get at least 70-75 grams of protein If I eat half of it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Is it possible to keep the frame I have now, but only make my muscles bigger? If I decided to focus on eating a lot of proteins instead of calories or carbs, could I make my muscles grow without putting on weight, besides muscle mass?

It's going to be a lot harder to get bigger if you just consume a majority protein diet (if thats even possible). You look pretty cut--it really shouldn't be hard for you to lose weight, if you're having this much trouble gaining it. One step at a time.

Regardless, even drinking close to a gallon of milk a day, three square meals, and lifting full body three times a week, I gained about twenty pounds and maybe only went up a few % in bodyfat. It depends on your bodytype. It is HARD for me to gain weight, so I rarely worry about getting too fat.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Jason's Ultimatum said:

Also, I went to my grocery store and bought a 1/2 whole rotisserie chicken. The one I saw was 2 pounds, and he said he'd cut it to make it a 1/2 chicken. So, that would make it a pound of chicken left, right? Could I get around 75g of protein if I eat half of that?

edit-It looks like he cut off the wings or legs. I can't tell, lol. I don't want to eat all of it because it's still big. Just hoping to get at least 70-75 grams of protein If I eat half of it.

Dude. Just buy boneless/skinless chicken breasts and cook them up yourself. That's your best measure.

Eh, too lazy to cook them up and I just checked the weight on the label. It's just over a pound, which is good. Plus, I bought these Hawaiin honey rolls. Contain 4 each 5 grams of protein. Also, I'll eat a can of tuna fish later on in the day. I already had my protein shake after working out. Preworkout I had my oatmeal, which was over 600 calories alone.

Honestly, I just want the muscles in my legs to get bigger without gaining any mass, besides the muscles of course.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Honestly, I just want the muscles in my legs to get bigger without gaining any mass, besides the muscles of course.

Then just do squats. What part of your leg do you want bigger? I think that squats in any configuration (above 3-5 reps) will pack some size on your legs.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I don't know. Aren't quads the only muscle in your legs that really stick out?

Well, in my opinion you look pretty unbalanced if you only focus on the mirror muscles. Your hams and adductors are just as important and again, in my opinion, give the legs a fuller look.

I'd recommend doing back squats (low bar style) for your adductors, glutes, and of course, quads are worked. Front squats and olympic style squats give more of a workout to just the quads, as your posterior chain cannot be efficiently employed in these style of squats.

Well, I know that. You did ask me what part of my leg I want bigger. :D

Like I said, I just want to keep the frame I have now, but just get my chest, arms, lats, and legs bigger without gaining any weight.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Adumaha said:
So what's the best option for burning fat? As in what sort of exercises should I be doing and what kind of diet? (I'm guessing a low carb diet?) The only exercise I've been doing is some jogging a few times a week.

At the beginning of the year I weighed around 260 pounds (118Kg) as I put on around 60lbs (27Kg) in 2007. I bought myself a bike on the 18th and have been cycling to work every day. I generally eat less than the recommended amount (1500 calories per day max) and used to go to the gym four days a week until my Achilles started giving me trouble. As of today I weigh 220lbs (100Kg).

So generally I recommend a steady routine of eating less and exercising more. Find a local gym and join it, walk/cycle if travelling short distances, and (most importantly) stop eating garbage.

yacobod

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Like I said, I just want to keep the frame I have now, but just get my chest, arms, lats, and legs bigger without gaining any weight.

isnt that an oxymoron? or a conflicting goal, seems pretty dumb at any rate

if you get bigger, you are going to put on weight, unless you are undergoing a radical body composition change

Gaining mass in the specific areas I've mentioned is my goal. I don't care to put on weight in my mid section or any other place. Just muscle growth I want, that's all.

Mr.City

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I don't know. Aren't quads the only muscle in your legs that really stick out?
Boy, you are leading down a bad path. Focus on only one part of your leg and you're going to get a muscular unbalance.

No shit, sherlock. That's like only focusing on your biceps and not doing anything for your triceps. He asked me a question and I answered. I never said I'd only do exercises that focus on quads. I asked if quads are the muscles that really show your legs the most. That's all.

Jirotrom

Naked Snake said:
I love eggs, but they give me serious bloating, I've stopped eating them completely :(
hmmmm.... i was very bloated today, and its been a while since ive eaten eggs... like 2 weeks, shit man... you may have solved a problem for me.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
No shit, sherlock. That's like only focusing on your biceps and not doing anything for your triceps. He asked me a question and I answered. I never said I'd only do exercises that focus on quads. I asked if quads are the muscles that really show your legs the most. That's all.
calm down friend he was just trying to help...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
For all you skinny guys, heres a nice "Transformation of the Week" for you...

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/transt7.htm

No matter how skinny and sunk in your chest is, you should be able to achieve this. Sure you don't have a Amateur Bodybuilder father coaching you but all that means is that you won't be able to achieve those results as quickly. You should be able too over time.

In other news, I ate so shitty today. Lots of sugar and salt (Ice Tea, reheated Rice and Beans with greasy pork chop, can of soup (sodium infested)). I literally feel awful right now (I haven't worked out since Friday either). Tomorrow I'm going to kick my ass real hard at the gym, a form of self punishment.

neptunes said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet (it probably has)

but has anyone seen the 24hour ghetto workout? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDCxH88-9X8

look at the part where that one dude is doing 90 degree push/pull ups WOW!!!

Seen them before--some real impressive stuff in there, and a great "workout anywhere" philosophy as well.

That being said:

-I'm sure they do or have (in the past) used weights to get as big as some of them are
-I haven't seen anything for the legs

Looks fun though. Lots of gymnast looking stuff in there.

RSTEIN said:
I only do quads and triceps. I call them the "pussy killer" muscles. Nothing else really matters.

It funny, but also kinda blows because girls will see any guy with the "beach" muscles who may be cut and think, "Wow, he's SO muscular!"

Ugh.

BlueTsunami said:
For all you skinny guys, heres a nice "Transformation of the Week" for you...

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/transt7.htm

No matter how skinny and sunk in your chest is, you should be able to achieve this. Sure you don't have a Amateur Bodybuilder father coaching you but all that means is that you won't be able to achieve those results as quickly. You should be able too over time.

In other news, I ate so shitty today. Lots of sugar and salt (Ice Tea, reheated Rice and Beans with greasy pork chop, can of soup (sodium infested)). I literally feel awful right now (I haven't worked out since Friday either). Tomorrow I'm going to kick my ass real hard at the gym, a form of self punishment.

Something seems iffy about his diet and workout plan. I mean, his protein intake isn't that large. Eh, what do I know.

I've seen these guys around my age at the gym (early-mid 20s), and they're just all muscle and no fat. They're thin, as in you can see their ribs, wrist and ankle bones, and don't even have a stomach, yet their chest, arms, and legs are huge! That's the kind of body I want.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Something seems iffy about his diet and workout plan. I mean, his protein intake isn't that large. Eh, what do I know.

I've seen these guys around my age at the gym (early-mid 20s), and they're just all muscle and no fat. They're thin, as in you can see their ribs, wrist and ankle bones, and don't even have a stomach, yet their chest, arms, and legs are huge! That's the kind of body I want.

The result of that is either hard work, or steroid usage. Honestly, don't underestimate the prevalence of steroids in teens/college age kids.

At the same time, they could just be "growers", work hard, etc.

But you can tell someone who just focuses on beach muscles because they have (+) but lack (-):

+Big arms
+Big chest
+Big quads
-No traps
-Underdeveloped back
-"Thick" look
-No hams
-No adductors

I like the old school, "thick" and strong look.

yacobod

Banned
steroid use is really common in high school/college aged ppl at my gym

i think its usually a good bet, and pretty obvious when someone is on

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Well this is an interesting thread. It so happens I was thinking about getting back into shape today and then saw this thread, cool. My issue is losing weight, I have been seeing myself ballon to almost 300lbs and not doing anything about. Now with summer here, I think I should kick my ass into shape. I've had such a horrible diet, just last night i had 3 small 10" pizzas and chicken fingers, and not forgetting coke to wash that crap down. Afterwards, I felt bad, really bad and seeing myself naked this morning after getting out of the shower, I knew I had to make some serious changes in my life.

So I think I will join the rest of you here in this thread and try to get back into shape. I'll post my progress and see what happens.

Jirotrom said:
well... Im going to tear the shit out of my back today... my goal is that in 5 months I can do one handed pull ups:D
I tried those once. Wow. :lol

I weighed myself at the gym the other day--222 lbs. That was a bit of a wake-up call. I've tightened up my diet and really upped the amount of conditioning work I've been doing--I posted the new type of workout I've started over the weekend [or thereabouts]. I even looked into buying a wrestling dummy, but there wasn't anything here in town. Instead I've just upped the intensity and difficulty of the workouts I've been doing. I'd like to be at 210 a month from now.

RSTEIN said:
I only do quads and triceps. I call them the "pussy killer" muscles. Nothing else really matters.
But girls don't want you to have big legs, either. Just do a few side raises, kickbacks, and tons of bosu ball work for your core, and you'll be good to go for the summer.

Naked Snake said:
Wow this is the first time I knew things like potatoes and pasta contain good amounts of protein! I always looked at them as high glycemic pure carbs and thus avoided them.
Personally, I'm of the opinion that you should only count protein from meat and dairy.

Adumaha said:
Okay fitness-gaf, I could use a little help since I'm pretty new to this. I haven't really had any weight issues in the past so I'm pretty inexperienced with exercise programs, but college food is starting to give me love handles so I thought I should just nip this in the bud.

This sort of thing has been addressed before. Read through the thread and build up pointers from what we've said to others. Short version:

--Limit your diet to lean meat, dairy, fruits, and veggies.

--HIIT [search for it], 3 X a week

--Weight training, 3 X a week, total body workouts [search again]

jacf29 said:
Ok it's the Sunday 0f week 2 and here is where I am at.

START: 204 pounds

Week 1: 201 pounds

Week 2: 199 pounds

I'm under the 200 mark yay!!!! Now another week of this.
Keep it up, Junior.

yacobod

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
But girls don't want you to have big legs, either. Just do a few side raises, kickbacks, and tons of bosu ball work for your core, and you'll be good to go for the summer.

leg extensions bro, gotta get those tear drop shaped quads :lol

Jirotrom said:
well... Im going to tear the shit out of my back today... my goal is that in 5 months I can do one handed pull ups:D

Haha, good luck, man! It was a goal of mine to do one armed pull ups, but then i decided I'd like to get bigger and stronger, instead (not that big and strong guys can't do them...but one step at a time!). I have a lot of resources on it, if you are seriously interested in looking into it. I'd say give yourself a year...at least. :D

Jirotrom said:
hmmmm.... i was very bloated today, and its been a while since ive eaten eggs... like 2 weeks, shit man... you may have solved a problem for me.

I almost never get bloated, but eggs are a sure fire way to do give me the worst smelling farts. Ugh.

neojubei

jacf29 said:
Ok it's the Sunday 0f week 2 and here is where I am at.

START: 204 pounds

Week 1: 201 pounds

Week 2: 199 pounds

I'm under the 200 mark yay!!!! Now another week of this.

Congrats. It would be the grace of GOD, if I can get under 200 this year. Keep it up.

New routine (tentatively, I'm working out the kinks):

Monday (High intensity power day):
Squats-Sets of 3, ramping the weight up each set until I can't get 3; then add some more and bust out a few singles; superset with light pullovers
Bench press-Sets of 3, ramping the weight up each set until I can't get 3; then add some more and bust out a few singles
Bent Rows-5x5, start at heaviest and drop 5-10 lbs each set
Progressive Pulls
-Power cleans - ramping sets of 3 until missed rep
-High pulls - ramping sets of 3 until missed rep
-Deadlifts - ramping sets of 3 until missed rep, then add weight and do a few singles

Wednesday (Light recovery day):
Squats-2x5 @ 70% of 5RM
Overhead Press-3x5
Pull Ups-3 sets to failure OR weighted pull ups (3x5)
Skull Crushers-3x8
Barbell Curls-3x8

Friday (Volume/repetition day):
Squats-Sets of 10, ramping the weight up each set until I can't get 10; then add some more and bust out a few sets of 5; superset with light pullovers
Bench press-Sets of 10, ramping the weight up each set until I can't get 10; then add some more and bust out a few sets of 5
Bent Rows-5x5, start at heaviest and drop 5-10 lbs each set
Deadlifts - 3x3 (ramping weight)
Power Shrugs - 2x10

The routine is a combination of John McCallum's "Look of Power" routine and Bill Starr's "Heavy, Light, Medium" ideas:

John McCallum said:
The Power Look
by John McCallum

Forget everything you ever heard about pumping and flushing and cramping and the rest of it.

Start with squats. Do a light set to warmup and then jump heavy. Do three reps. Add weight and do three more reps. Keep adding weight for each set until you can't make three reps. When you bog down add a few more pounds and do a couple of singles at that weight. Don't count the sets. Do as many as you feel like. Let your energy be the judge on that day.

Do bench presses next. Same way.

Rowing. do five sets of five. Start with your heaviest weight and drop down about ten pounds ten pounds for each set. Use your legs a bit and pull hard.

The last exercise is progressive pulls. You start with power cleans. Start light and work up. Do three reps each set and when you can't make three then keep increasing the weight and do high pulls. Keep adding weight and when you can't make three high pulls start doing deadlifts. Do three reps in the deadlift until you can't make three. Add more weight and do a couple of singles.

Let your energy be the judge.

Bill Starr said:
The Heavy, Light and Medium System
by Bill Starr

One of the basic principles of strength training is the heavy, light and medium system. Like all the other concepts used int this physical science, it's not a new development. The old-time strongmen incorporated into their routines the idea of doing a less-than-strenuous workout after a difficult one, but it wasn't actually pout into a definite usable system until the mid 1930's, when Mark Berry wrote about it in his book Physical Training Simplified. From that point on aware strength athletes not only used the heavy, light and medium system, but they also understood why it was so beneficial.

In a great many cases, though, a person who's just starting out on the quest for greater strength learns about this principle from the road of hard knocks. That's exactly how I learned it. When I first started lifting weights, all I really understood was that I enjoyed the results of getting bigger and stronger. I believed that I had to work at 100 percent every time I went to the gym or I wouldn't achieve the desired improvement. Each time I left the gym I was completely spent. Anything less and I figured I'd wasted my time. I was aware enough to recognize that my workouts were becoming more difficult as the week progressed, but I thought that was natural.

GREAT blog here, with lots of old school routines for power, bulk, and strength (where I got the info above): http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/

John McCallum was known for having some very high intensity routines that demand you have great recovery--I wouldn't be able to go balls to the wall on a routine like that each of my three training days per week, so I merged it with Bill Starr's concepts. Here's hoping for the best.

neojubei

proposition said:
I should get in shape. I will do it over summer. Come autumn I will be an adonis.

I have the same goal. :D I would love to have a body like Ryan Reynolds, but my goal is to try and get to 200 by the end of the year.

Jirotrom

Mr. Snrub said:
Haha, good luck, man! It was a goal of mine to do one armed pull ups, but then i decided I'd like to get bigger and stronger, instead (not that big and strong guys can't do them...but one step at a time!). I have a lot of resources on it, if you are seriously interested in looking into it. I'd say give yourself a year...at least. :D
well I have a machine at home that I can lower the pullup angle, its one of those sliding seat machines, I use it for rows. I plan on doing one handed ones on that to get my muscles used to the workout, it probably will take a year, but its a goal I have to hit:D

Naked Snake said:
I almost never get bloated, but eggs are a sure fire way to do give me the worst smelling farts. Ugh.
well im going to ignore eggs for today and see how I feel, then Ill eat them tomorrow and see the results, If what you say gets confirmed...fuck.

People who are cutting out eggs: What will you eat for breakfast?

I'm asking an honest question here. I feel bloated all the time, but I don't know what else to eat for breakfast that isn't carbs or just dairy.

yacobod

Banned
Captain Glanton said:

I'm asking an honest question here. I feel bloated all the time, but I don't know what else to eat for breakfast that isn't carbs or just dairy.

what about oatmeal + protein shake

thats what i usually do for breakfast

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Captain Glanton said:

I just eat fruit.

Should one go feast for breakfest or somethin?

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:
I really prefer to get real food [for protein] at breakfast, though.

I suppose tuna is a possibility, but I already eat so much of it ...
well honestly I eat a couple of things... the thing is for me Ive been doing high cardio and Im actually about to leave.

Breakfast 1- Tuna and jasmine rice a little soy sauce.

Breakfast 2- Scrambled eggs and turkey sausage wraps.

Breakfast 3- Hot kashi cereal with boiled eggs

Breakfast 4- Digestive health yougurt and kashi cereal

Breakfast 5- 4 scrambled eggs and salsa

Breakfast 6- Protein Shake.

All of these are usually accompanied by some fruit.

I usually need the carbs for racquetball.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Wow 26 pounds in 3 months, I have to be doing something wrong ever since I worked out last year my body has barely changed. I look the same skinny self with man boobs it's really pissing me off.

Captain Glanton said:

I usually eat fruit (dates), peanut butter or roasted peanuts, brown bread or whole-wheat cereal. Might throw in some a carrot or something. And of course a protein shake, which I sometimes switch for left-over chicken/meat/fish that's been in the fridge from the previous night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom