• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you prepare your tuna and oatmeal? Tuna, I don't hate, but I don't really love either, so I'm not sure how to eat it besides just choking it down

I toast two slices of pumpernickel bread, put some mayo on it, put the tuna on the bread, splash some lemon and salt on the tuna and I'm set. Soooooo good.

Great pics. Now if someone can work them into a banner--and maybe get a Wanderlei Silva pic in there too--I'll use it in the OP. As I said, my photoshop skills suck, and I want this to look nice.

lil smoke

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Great pics. Now if someone can work them into a banner--and maybe get a Wanderlei Silva pic in there too--I'll use it in the OP. As I said, my photoshop skills suck, and I want this to look nice.
I can mess around with the banner if you want.

Great stuff in this thread the last few pages. If it hasn't been said, you guys deserve big thanks for keeping this discussion honest and professional, and helping lots of folks out. Easily the most mature thread on GAF.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Captain Glanton said:

I tried making it collage style, but the feathering option somehow didn't work. But you can make a great one with these photos, so shouldn't be too hard for someone that has the skills.

Just saw this thread for the first time today. I'll be subscribing.

Great OP. I was doing a 5x5 routine until I recently began doing Muay Thai and the DOMS from lifting was making me sluggish at the gym. Glad to see the full body lifts being regarded so highly.

bill0527

Well isn't this just fucking great.

I decided 3 weeks ago that I was going to lose 50 pounds. I'm 34 years old 6'1" and weigh 250lbs.

I hit the treadmill every day for a solid 30-45 minutes. I would alternate between running/jogging. I would jog for maybe 10-15 minutes total and then walk at the fastest speed for the rest of the time. I really worked up a good sweat and felt great after I would do this. I've lost about 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks, mostly water I assume.

Last Friday, I started to get some pain in my lower left ankle in the heel area. I fought through it and figured it was just something I'm going to have to deal with and I need to learn to play with the pain since I'm going from a complete sedentary lifestyle to one of being a little more active.

Saturday, I couldn't hardly walk so I stayed off the treadmill. Sunday, it still hurt pretty badly, but I decided I wasn't going to let a little pain set me back from my goal, so I did 45 hard minutes on the treadmill - 20 minutes jogging which is the most I had done at one time yet.

Monday, I could barely walk. Tuesday it was worse. Today I decided to go an orthopaedic urgent care and they said I've got a severe case of achilles tendinitis. They gave me an anti-inflammatory prescription, told me I have to stay off of it for 2 weeks and put me in this robocop-looking huge boot.

God this sucks. Its like damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm hoping I don't gain the weight back these next 2 weeks while I'm sitting on my ass. I'm also hoping I don't lose my motivation to get back on the treadmill when this is over.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Well this is what I've been trying to do the past 2 weeks.

Incline Bench 3x8 @ 75lbs
Shoulder Press 3x8 @ 60lbs sometimes I can't do 3x8 because I just get way too tired.
Dips 3x8 another on I really have hard time doing I could do 3-5 reps before I start getting tired. Sometimes I'll take 8-10 seconds between each rep.
Barbell Curls 3x8 @ 70lbs
some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dumbell rows 3x8 @50lbs for each arm
Dips same problem
Sometimes I'll thrown in dumbell curls at the end.

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

Qwerty710710 said:

Shoulder Press 3x8 @ 60lbs sometimes I can't do 3x8 because I just get way too tired.
Dips 3x8 another on I really have hard time doing I could do 3-5 reps before I start getting tired. Sometimes I'll take 8-10 seconds between each rep.
some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dips same problem

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

Are you doing this much every day? How are you splitting it up?

Google

bill0527 said:
Well isn't this just fucking great.

I decided 3 weeks ago that I was going to lose 50 pounds. I'm 34 years old 6'1" and weigh 250lbs.

I hit the treadmill every day for a solid 30-45 minutes. I would alternate between running/jogging. I would jog for maybe 10-15 minutes total and then walk at the fastest speed for the rest of the time. I really worked up a good sweat and felt great after I would do this. I've lost about 8 pounds in the last 3 weeks, mostly water I assume.

Last Friday, I started to get some pain in my lower left ankle in the heel area. I fought through it and figured it was just something I'm going to have to deal with and I need to learn to play with the pain since I'm going from a complete sedentary lifestyle to one of being a little more active.

Saturday, I couldn't hardly walk so I stayed off the treadmill. Sunday, it still hurt pretty badly, but I decided I wasn't going to let a little pain set me back from my goal, so I did 45 hard minutes on the treadmill - 20 minutes jogging which is the most I had done at one time yet.

Monday, I could barely walk. Tuesday it was worse. Today I decided to go an orthopaedic urgent care and they said I've got a severe case of achilles tendinitis. They gave me an anti-inflammatory prescription, told me I have to stay off of it for 2 weeks and put me in this robocop-looking huge boot.

God this sucks. Its like damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm hoping I don't gain the weight back these next 2 weeks while I'm sitting on my ass. I'm also hoping I don't lose my motivation to get back on the treadmill when this is over.

Bud, while it's awesome to have so much motivation, you need to take it easy - especially when you're a fairly large guy.

Hopefully this little incident will mean it wont happen again as you'll know that when something actually hurts, you need to not run on it...

I know you've got a bad ankle, but have a go at swimming?

Mr. Snrub said:
Get muscle, lose fat.

?

Snrub is 100% correct. To elaborate a bit, bench press and dumbbell press are both great, and I know Glanton will yell at me when I say this, but chest flies are pretty fun and are good too.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Soka said:
Snrub is 100% correct. To elaborate a bit, bench press and dumbbell press are both great, and I know Glanton will yell at me when I say this, but chest flies are pretty fun and are good too.

chest flies bad? nOOOOOOooooOOO

I like flies.

ronito

I got a dumb question. I've just started a basic weightlifting routine (not to get big, just to keep some strength). Is it better to excercise everyday or should I take a day off to let my body heal. I'm just a bit tight/sore in areas so I don't want to overdo anything and I don't want to render anything worthless. Any guidance would be great.

lil smoke

Banned
ronito said:
I got a dumb question. I've just started a basic weightlifting routine (not to get big, just to keep some strength). Is it better to excercise everyday or should I take a day off to let my body heal. I'm just a bit tight/sore in areas so I don't want to overdo anything and I don't want to render anything worthless. Any guidance would be great.
IMO, every other day works best in this situation. Other folks do daily routines and split the workout into specific body sections. Me, I enjoy the days off from the gym. it helps me appreciate the on-gym days, and I feel I have a bit more energy.

The soreness doesn't mean you overdid it. If you weren't sore just starting a routine, you underdid it.

I think as you get more into your routine, you'll find what feels best for you. I'm actually considering adding wednesday into the schedule. No one uses the gym on wed. for some reason, and I can use 5 different machines at one time!

lil smoke

Banned
HolyStar said:
Hey, um, I have a question. Does abstaining from jacking off help you any? Some proof and links would be great to have.
Builds the biceps and endurance level :lol !

Seriously, I dunno, but I'm not going to stop having sex.

Nooreo

Hey guys i just wanted to drop by because me and one of my friend were trying to get back in shape and were have been for one hour per day (I know its not much), But any way it actually works :O its been like my 3rd day and my legs are soar. Also anything i should do before i walk with him? anything that can help? thx, also were aiming for walking an additional hour after a period of time. - nooreo

dextran

I just bought me one of these. Can't wait until it shows up.
41cTpjtVqnL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Slo

Nooreo said:
Hey guys i just wanted to drop by because me and one of my friend were trying to get back in shape and were have been for one hour per day (I know its not much), But any way it actually works :O its been like my 3rd day and my legs are soar. Also anything i should do before i walk with him? anything that can help? thx, also were aiming for walking an additional hour after a period of time. - nooreo

Good job starting out. Instead of just walking for longer, try upping the intensity instead. 1 hour per day is plenty to get a great workout.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Stocka said:
What's the best wey to get a firm chest?
My chest training consists of Bench Press in the beginning, sorta like a warm up. The real stuff happens with Dumbbell Presses, and afterwards I do some Bench flyes for the sides. I got bigger in less than a week, did it for a month then stopped because my GF complained.

Oh yeah, and pushups - lots of em. Whenever and wherever you can.

dextran said:
I just bought me one of these. Can't wait until it shows up.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41cTpjtVqnL._SL500_AA280_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Ooooh, I always do this at school. :D

HolyStar said:
Hey, um, I have a question. Does abstaining from jacking off help you any? Some proof and links would be great to have.
People abstain while in training camp for combat sports. So if that's you, then probably yes. If not, then not.

Jirotrom

HolyStar said:
actually there is a study out there that states the whole sex deal with testosterone levels is a myth.

HolyStar said:

Thoughts and observations:

-Loss of energy after ejaculating could lead to low energy levels and be a detriment to lifting
-After three days of having sex each night, my squats suffered quite a bit on Monday BUT, I believe this was due to muscular fatigue and lack of sleep

In short, there is not a DIRECT link between the loss of sperm and bad performance. Some people DON'T have low energy levels, some people aren't affected by the loss of ejaculate but are due to residual fatigue.

Ejaculating right before working out doesn't affect me, I guess, is what I'm trying to say. Muscular fatigue and lack of rest does. That having been said, I wouldn't do much of anything before a competition or meet other than train/rest, just because there's no use in having extra fatigue.

This post was way too long.

Qwerty710710 said:

some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dips same problem

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

If those are your four workouts right there, looks pretty good. I might recommend a three day a week routine if you're a beginner, but that seems fairly solid. Great deadlift numbers, especially compared to your other lifts, btw.

ronito said:

Read the OP, guy. Seriously.

Glanton, do we have anything in the OP regarding workout frequency? Maybe we should have some recommendations for beginners vs. intermediate...

ronito, your body is constantly training in a state of "recovery", but training every day, more often than not, will lead to your recovery system to work in a deficit, and that's not good. I recommend/advocate a full body routine, 3 days a week.

Oh god my quads and ass are so. I have the "It's hard sitting on the toilet to take a shit" syndrome. :lol

As of now, I don't think I"ll be working my legs again on Friday. Maybe Saturday if I'm better. :lol

Mr. Snrub said:
Read the OP, guy. Seriously.

Glanton, do we have anything in the OP regarding workout frequency? Maybe we should have some recommendations for beginners vs. intermediate...

ronito, your body is constantly training in a state of "recovery", but training every day, more often than not, will lead to your recovery system to work in a deficit, and that's not good. I recommend/advocate a full body routine, 3 days a week.
There will probably be some major re-organizing of the OP when it relaunches. Whenever that will be.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just want to state that when I was doing weighted crunches (or weighted anything core workouts) my stomach did start to protrude a little bit. FIGHT THIS WITH STOMACH VACUUMS! Weighted Core Workouts + Stomach Vacuums = WIN

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow, EAS 100% Whey mixes so freakin well. Its almost like I'm just drinking water, even after 2 scoops of the stuff (1 scoop is the recommended dosage)

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Like I said I'm pretty scrawny so my numbers aren't really impressive. Thats why I joined a gym, and not really worried about losing weight yet. Hopefully I'll see some kind of significant changes next year if I keep it up.

Some notes
I can't handle 3x8 dips using my own bodyweight without getting tired. So I'm going to use weight assisted machine until I could handle my own weight.

Shoulder press I'm going to do 2x8 @ 60 then drop 10lbs on my last set it's too much for me.

Barrage

Qwerty710710 said:

some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dips same problem

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

Are all of your numbers for each side? If so, O_O at your SHoulder Press numbers. I suddenly feel like shit.

Anyway, my current gym doesn't have a Dip machine, so i've just been putting together two benches, putting a plate on my lap, and dipping in between. Is this a decent alternative?

One last GymGAF inquiry- What exactly is a "Stomach Vacuum"?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
404Ender said:
Question about pull-ups:

So now that I've started lifting again I've realized just how weak my back is, partly because it's been a while and partly because I neglected it when I lifted in high school (I'm in college now). I've also realized that I'm terrible at pull-ups, so I'm wondering what's better:

- 3x8 assisted pull-ups (a decent amount of assistance required to make it all the way though)
- 3 sets of pull-ups to burnout, ending by hanging for 30 seconds or so once I can't pull up anymore (this would most likely be something like 3 reps, 1 reps, and 1 reps for the 3 sets)
- Use other exercises instead to strengthen my back first until I can do a reasonable amount of pull-ups without assistance

Never got answered, hoping for a bit of advice.

Chichikov

404Ender said:
Question about pull-ups:

So now that I've started lifting again I've realized just how weak my back is, partly because it's been a while and partly because I neglected it when I lifted in high school (I'm in college now). I've also realized that I'm terrible at pull-ups, so I'm wondering what's better:

- 3x8 assisted pull-ups (a decent amount of assistance required to make it all the way though)
- 3 sets of pull-ups to burnout, ending by hanging for 30 seconds or so once I can't pull up anymore (this would most likely be something like 3 reps, 1 reps, and 1 reps for the 3 sets)
- Use other exercises instead to strengthen my back first until I can do a reasonable amount of pull-ups without assistance
404Ender said:
I would go with the 2nd option.
However, if you can do 1 set of 3, you can usually do more.
Pullups have relatively fast recovery, try to rest more between sets and see if you can get to 3X3.
In any case, if you're doing until failure for real you should be able to up this numbers pretty soon.

ChryZ

404Ender said:
I wasn't able to do a single pull-up, when I started to work out.

The assisted way helped me. After 8 weeks I was able to manage pull-ups with my own body weight, then I cranked up the number of sets.

Nowadays I do them weighted.

BUT nobody is the same. There is not the one right way of doing things. Alternate and see what suits you best.

Stocka

I'm looking to tone my chest and ensure it is firm rather than bulking up the size of my pecs. Should I avoid chest flies or still do them?

Stocka said:
I'm looking to tone my chest and ensure it is firm rather than bulking up the size of my pecs. Should I avoid chest flies or still do them?

Let it be known: chest flies CAN and WILL instantly (INSTANTLY) balloon up your pecs. HEED MY WORDS AND HEED THEM WELL.

Stocka, if you want tone, you need to lose bodyfat. Doing chest exercises isn't going to make your pecs grow at an uncontrollable rate. Glanton, can we please add a section to the OP about "I don't want to bulk up too fast..."?

Mr. Snrub said:
Let it be known: chest flies CAN and WILL instantly (INSTANTLY) balloon up your pecs. HEED MY WORDS AND HEED THEM WELL.

Stocka, if you want tone, you need to lose bodyfat. Doing chest exercises isn't going to make your pecs grow at an uncontrollable rate. Glanton, can we please add a section to the OP about "I don't want to bulk up too fast..."?
I had added it. It went away when GAF ate the OP and I had to get the old one off Google cache.

Slo

Oh shit guys, it happened to me! I did squats yesterday and this morning I look like a cartoon character! When I walk my huge thighs brush together and generate sparks, and if I walk backwards my body beeps to warn others of their impending doom!

Don't do squats! It's too late for me, but you guys can still save yourselves!

Slo said:
Oh shit guys, it happened to me! I did squats yesterday and this morning I look like a cartoon character! When I walk my huge thighs brush together and generate sparks, and if I walk backwards my body beeps to warn others of their impending doom!

Don't do squats! It's too late for me, but you guys can still save yourselves!
I once gained so much mass from doing leg extensions that my quads exploded in front of the Abercrombie next to my 24 Hour Fitness and all the skinny fashionable girls laughed at me and I bled out and died true story.

Jirotrom

Captain Glanton said:
I once gained so much mass from doing leg extensions that my quads exploded in front of the Abercrombie next to my 24 Hour Fitness and all the skinny fashionable girls laughed at me and I bled out and died true story.
:lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom