• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
yacobod said:
if they are numbers for each side they aren't very high either

Maybe you're right but this is the first time in my life I'm really working out so I'm not as strong as you guys yet. Plus I can't push 60lbs with each arm.

Qwerty710710 said:
Maybe you're right but this is the first time in my life I'm really working out so I'm not as strong as you guys yet. Plus I can't push 60lbs with each arm.

Nah man, I wasn't criticizing the weight you were using, we all have to start somewhere (I remember how fucking ecstatic I was when I got to put the "big 45's" on the bar for the bench press). I was just mentioning that your deadlift is unusually strong comparatively. Whats your body structure like? Long/short arms/torso/legs?

yacobod

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Nah man, I wasn't criticizing the weight you were using, we all have to start somewhere (I remember how fucking ecstatic I was when I got to put the "big 45's" on the bar for the bench press). I was just mentioning that your deadlift is unusually strong comparatively. Whats your body structure like? Long/short arms/torso/legs?

isnt the deadlift usually most ppl's strongest lift if they actually train it? at least for me it was

my max pull was 455, and i could do 405 for a triple, for comparison i was only doing like 315 squats for a triple

deadbeef

yacobod said:
isnt the deadlift usually most ppl's strongest lift if they actually train it? at least for me it was

my max pull was 455, and i could do 405 for a triple, for comparison i was only doing like 315 squats for a triple

I think so, but I think it has a lot to do with one's biomechanical leverages or whatever. My max pull was 425 and I was doing 315 for a triple as well in squats. My bench press is just horrible, horrible. 250 best.

Slo

Yeah, my best pull ever is 405, but my squat is disproportionally shitty compared to it. At least it was until I put on 30 lbs of muscle in each leg last night.

yacobod

Banned
man that extra set of tricep kickbacks really did it, i tore all the sleeves off my polos getting ready for work this morning ffs

Since we were discussing protein requirements, here is a great article on it: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/protein_requirements.htm

The mainstream nutrition types are in the first camp. They’re usually registered dieticians who maintain that the RDA for protein is sufficient for all conditions including individuals involved heavily in sports. Their bible—the RDA Handbook—mirrors this stance. So what is the RDA? Currently, it’s set at 0.8 g/kg (0.36 g/lb) protein per day. For a 200-lb individual, that’s a mere 72 grams of protein per day. I bet most of the people reading this eat that at a meal.

As a sub-argument to what I wrote above, some will point out that even if protein requirements in athletes are higher, there is no need to worry about it in the first place because most strength athletes already eat more protein than the supposed requirements. That is, strength athletes already consume enough protein and don’t need to focus on trying to get more.

At the other extreme are the athletes themselves who have long felt (and therefore argued) that high proteins are absolutely necessary for optimal results. Bodybuilders have traditionally used 1 g/lb (2.2 g/kg) as a baseline recommendation with others taking this level to 2 g/lb (4.4 g/kg) or sometimes even higher. Muscle magazines, usually with a vested interest in moving protein powder, tend to promote high protein intakes with claims of athletes, mostly top bodybuilders, eating 800–1000 grams protein per day (a level only achievable with supplementation).

And yet, I’m going to tell you how to rationalize all of the above stuff that I imagine most of you skimmed in the first place. Two researchers named Tipton and Wolfe wrote a cool paper about this argument. In it, they first detailed all of the stuff I just bored you with. At the end, they gave their recommendations where they basically argued that:

1. We don’t know how much protein is required to optimize all of the potential pathways important to athletes.
2. We know that a protein intake of 1.4 g/lb (3.0 g/kg) isn’t harmful and may have benefits that are too small to be measured in research.
3. As long as eating lots of protein doesn’t keep an athlete from eating too few of the other nutrients (carbs/fats), there’s no reason to not eat a lot of it and there may be benefits.

Essentially, a high protein intake won’t hurt an athlete (basically everything you may have read about the dangers of high protein intakes is nonsense). It may provide small benefits of importance to elite athletes, and at the end of the day, athletes and coaches don’t give a shit about pedantic scientific debates over amino acid metabolism that gives researchers and nerds like me a giant hard on. Admittedly, they didn’t put it in exactly those terms, but that’s the gist of it.

So, here’s my recommendation. Strength/power athletes should aim for 1.5 g/lb protein per day (again this is about 3.3 g/kg for the metrically inclined). So for a 200-lb strength/power athlete, that’s 300 grams of protein per day. For a 300-lb athlete, that’s 450 grams per day. If you’re Jeff Lewis, I imagine your protein requirements are basically “all of it” or perhaps “a cow” per day.

A cool point:

I should address one other issue that always seems to come up about now which is whether to set protein requirements relative to lean body mass or total weight. There are some good arguments for both. In theory, using lean body mass probably makes the most sense. Fat cells don’t have a huge protein requirement. At the same time, problems in measuring lean body mass as well as the fact that a little bit too much protein is arguably superior to too little protein make using total body weight more tenable. Or at least easier to use. I’d only note that for athletes carrying tremendous amounts of body fat (you know who you are), scaling protein intake back to take that into account may not be a bad idea. It may not be necessary, but it can still be done.

Frankly, the whole deal with protein quality has been blown way out of proportion by most folks. Unless you’re talking about folks eating small amounts of single shitty quality proteins every day, it’s just not that relevant. So yeah, for someone getting 30 grams of some piss quality grain as their only protein source, quality matters.

When an athlete is eating 1.5 g/lb or more of high quality (read animal source) proteins per day, it really doesn’t. Now, yes, there are differences between proteins in terms of digestion speed (which is relevant for around workout nutrition) and other micronutrients (e.g. red meat has lots of zinc and iron, fatty fish has fish oils, etc.). Amino acids can vary too (e.g. dairy proteins have more leucine than other sources), but unless you live on that one source, it’s just not that critical of an issue to worry about most of the time. Rather, I recommend that strength/power athletes try to obtain their daily protein from mixed sources every day. That way, any potential limitation of one protein will be fixed by the consumption of another protein. Also, although there isn’t much research to base this on, I feel that consuming different protein sources at a given meal may be superior to single sources. You’re getting slightly different amino acid patterns and digestion speeds. You’ll see this reflected in the sample menus below.

Of course, protein powders are always an option. I think they tend to have their greatest utility around training, but they can be used for athletes on the go or for those who are working endlessly during the day and who need to get protein in large amounts quickly. For various reasons (discussed of course in my book), I prefer milk protein isolate (a mix of whey and casein) for most applications. Fast digesting proteins such as whey are most appropriate before or during training (I prefer MPI post-workout).

Key points (read the whole thing, you slackers):

-The RDA and similar studies not based around athletic protein needs are useless
-Muscle mags, similarly, have "vested interest" in selling protein powder, so they are not reliable
-Tipton and Wolfe study for athletes (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14971434) showed that high protein intake is necessary and not harmful; recommended amount is 1.5g x pounds of bodyweight
-It would be best to measure 1.5g x pounds of LEAN bodyweight (fat cells don't have much protein requirement), but fat composition is hard to measure and measuring total bodyweight allows better margin for error (too much is better than too little)
-Protein quality is blown out of proportion; as long as your protein sources aren't one sided, you should be fine and mixing protein sources in each meal may provide a more complete protein absorption/synthesis
-Protein powders: prefers milk protein isolate (whey + casein); fast digesting proteins like whey are best for before or during training, and he prefers MPI post-workout

I've never really focused on the nutrition aspect aside from EAT TO GET BIG. Lyle McDonald has some good stuff.

yacobod said:

Usually yeah, but with the rise of the squat and bench suit, deadlift is usually a lot lower than the squat in powerlifting community. But 225 for multiple sets of 8 reps isn't anything to be shy about. May even have close to a 325-350 deadlift. At least 300.

In the raw community, I think the standard for "respectable" weight is a 300 bench, 400 squat, and 500 deadlift.

deadbeef

Mr. Snrub said:
I've never really focused on the nutrition aspect aside from EAT TO GET BIG. Lyle McDonald has some good stuff.

I agree. I only really have to count calories and P/C/F when I am dieting.* And yes, Lyle McDonald has some good stuff.

* I might get better results at other times if I did this all the time, but I just really can't be bothered with it and for MY body, the effort that goes into all that stuff doesn't translate into astounding results. YMMV.

Dice Man said:
I think so, but I think it has a lot to do with one's biomechanical leverages or whatever. My max pull was 425 and I was doing 315 for a triple as well in squats. My bench press is just horrible, horrible. 250 best.
A lot depends on your body structure. I probably have a 28" inseam but I'm 5'9, and I can squat below parallel while keeping my torso straight up and down. It's a lot easier for me to squat heavy than to pull heavy. People who have long limbs can usually pull easier than squat.

Mr.City

Anyone ever go through a period where they just feel tired and weak? These last couple of weeks have been bothersome. Every workout just feels like a struggle.

So I have a problem....

I got hit by a car (on my bike) and have a pretty messed up shoulder and a bruised knee, which are preventing me from working out. Hopefully I will at least be able to run by this weekend. What should I be doing to keep my size and strength on. The leg should be alright, but I can't use my right shoulder at all. Suggestions? I am already seeing lots of left arm DB Snatches in my future.

Struct09

Mr.City said:
Anyone ever go through a period where they just feel tired and weak? These last couple of weeks have been bothersome. Every workout just feels like a struggle.

You could be over-trained. When was the last time you took a week off?

deadbeef

Mr.City said:

Yes absolutely. Lighten up on the volume. Switch things up.

If I am feeling particularly burned out I will take 3 to 5 days off and then switch to some low intensity, high rep exercises.

Try some stuff and see how your body responds. Pretty soon you will learn to recognize over-training versus stress, etc and how to change your training accordingly.

BigGreenMat said:
So I have a problem....

I got hit by a car (on my bike) and have a pretty messed up shoulder and a bruised knee, which are preventing me from working out. Hopefully I will at least be able to run by this weekend. What should I be doing to keep my size and strength on. The leg should be alright, but I can't use my right shoulder at all. Suggestions? I am already seeing lots of left arm DB Snatches in my future.

Just maintain your diet, honestly. That's my biggest problem...if I don't train, my diet goes to shit, and so do my results.

I haven't stepped on the scale just yet. I'll wait until Monday, but I can already see my love handles filling out. My stomach, although still flat as board, is looking a bit fuller. :lol

Slo

Mr.City said:

Absolutely. As other people have mentioned, back off for a bit and eat at maintenance for a week.

Slo

BigGreenMat said:
So I have a problem....

Which got the worst of it, you or the car?

lil smoke

Banned
Mr.City said:
I've been back in for what 3-4 weeks now, and I'm just not feeling it yet. I used to get completely hyped at the gym, full of energy, pushing for that extra set or lift.

Now I just feel weak. Come 3rd set, I'm already struggling at the 8th rep, and I have to put the weights back on the bar. Before, if this would happen, I'd just take 10 seconds rest and burst out the remaining. Now, I just sluggishly move on to the next. Even stupid things, like when I go through a revolving door, I'd use just certain muscles to push it :)lol) or when I take a bathroom break, I'd throw down 50 push-ups. Now I just don't feel like it.

Maybe this whole morning thing isn't as great as the afterwork session. I think the weather plays a part too. Ah I'll get there.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I haven't stepped on the scale just yet. I'll wait until Monday, but I can already see my love handles filling out. My stomach, although still flat as board, is looking a bit fuller. :lol

Please, you were pretty cut, you can afford some meat on your bones!

BigGreenMat said:
So I have a problem....

A friend of mine tore his pec, and about two months after surgery he was doing squats in the Smith machine, holding the bar with one arm. I meant to get pics of this to post here, but I haven't managed it yet.

I agree that the best thing is to keep your diet up and do what you can. You will gain back everything you lost very quickly.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Remember, full stomach = heavy hands.

chuck-liddell.png

A classic Power Bodybuilding routine by John McCallum, for intermediate lifters:

Book Excerpt: Power Training

You're ready now for another advance in your bulk and power training routines. This new program will be aimed at developing great strength as a foundation for further bulk development.

There's a tendency among uninformed bodybuilders to minimize the strength factor. I remember a fellow I used to train with years ago. He was a tall good-looking kid with a slim, willowy build. He trained on light weights. He had a top press of 140 pounds and couldn't have cared less.

"Harry," I explained to him. "You oughta do some power training and bulk up."

"What for? He asked. "The girls think I'm terrific already."

"Terrific?" I said. "You're weak as a kitten."

"Yeah," he said. "But the girls don't know that."

"Girls?" I shouted. "You got nothing on your mind but girls?" I tapped him on the chest. "Get this! Suppose you're walking home with a girl tonight. And suppose some big lug steps out of an alley and drags her away. What do you do then?"

"Easy," he said. "I slip down to the beach tomorrow and get another one."

There may be a few bodybuilders who developed a nice looking build on light weights and never acquired much strength, but all the really greats emphasized power in their training. If you want a Herculean body, don't over look strength.

Steve Stanko was a Mr. America and the first Mr. Universe. He was also the first man to officially total 1000 pounds on the Olympic lifts. John Grimek is the most famous bodybuilder of them all. He went to Europe as a lifter on the Olympic team. Reg Park is certainly one of the best-developed men of all time. He won both the amateur and professional Mr. Universe awards among other things. He squats with over 600, bench presses over 500, and can do a press behind the neck with over 300. Bill Pearl has won every major physique title possible. He squats with 600 pounds and bench presses around 500.

If you want a development like these men, then emphasize strength in your programs. Spend some time at power training. If you've been following this series from the start, the time for some power training is right now.

As a group, weightlifters are the strongest athletes in the world. No one can match the sheer power of a top lifter. This program, then, will borrow freely from exercises used by lifters in their training. Remember though, you're not becoming an Olympic lifter. This is a bodybuilding series. You're simply developing great strength as an aid to further muscular development.

You'll be using the split system of training. Work out four days a week; preferably Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. This gives you Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday to rest up. Split training is a tough grind. Don't add any exercises to the program and don't train more than four days a week. Keep each session relatively short, but very, very heavy. Don't forget - you've got to really put out to succeed.

On Mondays and Thursdays do the following:

Military press. Warm up by doing six or eight reps with a very light weight. Increase the weight and do five reps. Increase it again and do five more reps. Now jump to your best exercising poundage and do five sets of three with the same weight.

You'll probably find you can't make the full five sets of three at first. Start with it even if you're only getting one or two reps out of the final sets. As soon as you can make the five full sets of three, increase the weight and start over again.

Do the presses in Olympic style - that is, with some backbend. Study back issues of Strength and Health for detailed information on proper pressing. Use every bit of information you can get and concentrate on developing a respectable press. You'll have to eventually work up to at least body weight for your sets of three. Pressing is still the best all-around shoulder exercise.

Curl. Warm up with six or eight reps with a light weight for a couple of sets, then jump to your best exercising poundage. Do five sets of three with your top weight. Use a reasonable style when you're curling. Don't fall into the habit of excessive cheating. There's no point in making a poor back exercise out of what should be a good arm exercise.

One of the best curlers I know is Maurice Jones of Vancouver, BC. Maurice has arms around nineteen inches and curls enough weight to sink a small boat. We were watching him curling one day and I spoke to the guy beside me.

"Amazing power," I said. "He must have a secret."

"He has," he said. "His arms bend easier than most people's."

Squats. Again, this is the key exercise. You've got to get your squats up heavy if you're going to make it. Use auto-suggestion to stimulate your mental drive and push the poundage. Try to increase it every workout.

Start out with a light set of five reps. Add weight and do five more reps. Add more weight and do another five. Now jump the poundage and start doing sets of three. Add ten pounds to the bar every set and keep doing three reps. Work up until you can't make three reps. You should get in eight to ten sets altogether.

Do eight or ten pullovers with a very light weight after every set.

Keep you head up and your back as flat as possible when you're squatting. Don't go all the way down. Squat till the top of your thighs are roughly parallel to the floor and bounce back up. Take three huge breaths between each repetition.

A burning desire is more important in squatting than in any other exercise. Whip yourself into a positive frenzy. Force the weight. Get a couple of guys to spot for you if you can and push to the absolute limit. Doug Hepburn spent a lot of time on low rep squats. So did Paul Anderson. They settled any remaining doubts on its value as a bulk and power exercise.

You can finish off the workout with one set of twenty-five leg raises.

On Tuesday and Fridays do the following:

Bench press. Push this one hard. Warm up with a light set of eight. Add weight and do another warm up set of six. Add more weight and do a set of three.

Now jump to your best exercising weight and do five sets of three. Use a normal pressing width grip and don't cheat too much. Use a little arch on the last couple of sets if you have to, but don't make a belly bounce out of it.

In one of his instructive articles, John Grimek told about a man who just missed an attempt on the bench press.

"I'd have make it," he said, "but my foot slipped."

Reg Park is an avid bench presser. He usually gives a demonstration of his power just before his posing display. I saw Park bench press around 500 in his street clothes. He was wearing a big blue V-necked sweater and looked almost beyond belief. He absolutely oozed power. Work hard on your power training and you might end up something like Park.

The next two exercises are actually Olympic lifts. Don't be frightened by that, they build power rapidly.

Snatch. Most of you probably haven't done much work on this. You're in for a pleasant surprise. It's a terrific exercise for developing explosive power.

Warm up carefully with a very light weight. Add weight and do another warm up set. Add more weight and do another warm up set. Now go to your top weight for five sets of three in dead hang style. A top lifter of a few years ago used to refer to three dead hang snatches as two quiet ones and a loud one.

Try and develop as much polish as you can in this exercise. There's no reason why you can't learn to do a passable snatch with a heavy weight.

Power cleans. Do these in the same style as the snatch. Three warm up sets with increasingly heavier weights and five sets of three with your best weight in dead hang style. Don't move your feet. Just dip a little to catch the bar on your chest. You should be able to work up quite heavy on this one. A lot of top bodybuilders are good on the Olympic lifts. Sergio Oliva is an example.

Dead hang deadlifts. Start light on these and do two reps. Add twenty or thirty pounds and do two more reps. Progress in jumps of twenty to thirty pounds to your limit, doing two reps each set.

Use a reverse grip. Keep your head up and your back flat. Don't be afraid of the weight. You should be able to work up to over double body weight for two reps. The deadlift is hard, but supreme for developing raw power. Work at it.

Finish off the workout with one set of twenty-five sit-ups.

Stay on this program for two months. Make up your mind right now that you're going to be using heavy weight at the end of it. Two months from now you'll be heavier and a lot stronger. You'll have the necessary power to go into the next advance in the series.

lil smoke said:
Yes, I didn't want to ask... but I don't know exactly what "snatch" is either. Or not that terminology.

:lol

It's one of two weightlifting moves. The first is the clean and jerk, the second is the snatch.

Snatch: http://youtube.com/watch?v=C741Zg3iw_k&fmt=18

That's close to 400 lbs. he's putting overhead, btw. :D Pyrros Dimas, ladies and gentlemen!

P.S. In case no one knows, Weightlifting (one word) is the term using for Olympic Lifting.

Mr.City

Say, what's a good method of strengthening my hip abductors. My chiropractor says a hip abductor in my right leg is weaker than my leg and causes my right leg to turn out a bit. There's the thigh machines at my gym, but aside from looking girly, I've heard that they can be stress on the spine. I've tried resistance bands on my legs, but I didn't really feel anything.

Slo

reilo said:
What are 21s?

Pick an exercise, usually a barbell curl with a liberal spot from your frat brahs, and do 7 half reps from the bottom of the motion to half way up, then 7 half reps from the top of the range of motion down to half way, and then 7 full reps.

It's make ya swole, brah.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Slo said:
Pick an exercise, usually a barbell curl with a liberal spot from your frat brahs, and do 7 half reps from the bottom of the motion to half way up, then 7 half reps from the top of the range of motion down to half way, and then 7 full reps.

Should I take this seriously? :lol

Slo

Only as seriously as any lifting tip you get from an ALPHA ALPHA ALPHA pledge, brah.

21s are stupid.

Mr.City

Slo said:

You got to be kidding me.

reilo

Quick question. Right now my routine is 5x5, but I see many of you doing 3x8. Is there any discernible difference?

Slo

reilo said:
Quick question. Right now my routine is 5x5, but I see many of you doing 3x8. Is there any discernible difference?

If you're a beginner, not really. The thing is that you want to keep your rep count around that 25 number. 3*8=24 so you're fine.

reilo

Slo said:
If you're a beginner, not really. The thing is that you want to keep your rep count around that 25 number. 3*8=24 so you're fine.

Well, I've been working out for 5 months now and gained around 1.25" around my upper arms, and about 10lbs of weight total. I've only been taking Muscle Milk and Myoplex Deluxe protein bar an hour before workout for the past two months though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Been looking through the thread and decided to post for the first time.

Ok, so basically I'm fed up with my current lifestyle. I'm 6'5, but weigh near 300lbs now. My lifestyle for the past 6+ months or so has been complete and total shit. I eat way too much outside (fast food, etc) due to convenience still drink too much soda (despite wanting to stop) and dont exercise at all. And worse of all are my totally irregualr eating habits. The final straw was when I was shopping for some clothes for a party last week and I realized I went up a size.

I wasn't always like this, I used to be fit and regularly went to the gym and was perfectly happy, but things are different now and I've finally had enough. Not going to make excuses anymore.

So basically I've vowed to myself to completely change my eating habits, join a gym and try to lose all this weight I've gained and more. Im not doing it for any sort of short term goal, but for the long term and just want to improve the way I am right now.

First off what would you guys suggest for eating habits as well as workout routines? It's honestly been quite a while since I went to a gym regularly so Ive forgotten all my old routines...

Obviously I have to get back in the groove at eating the 3 basic meals per day. I just don't know what I should be looking for or what I should be dropping (IE how much bread or meat should I be eating, aside from a good serving of veggies, things like that)

For work out, I need to get my ass on a treadmill and just run more in general, but what kind of basic workout would you guys suggest to complement the new eating habit...

My primary concern above anything else right now is just to get healthier and lose all the weight Ive gained and more and to keep it off

Slo

Dead said:

I'm glad you've decided to do something. That's an important first step. Now stop talking and start doing! CG put a lot of work into the initial post, now it's your turn to put the effort into reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom