• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
RiskyChris said:
I'm trying to read the starting strength wiki, but I think it's like 4 gigs of text...

I used to be in pretty good shape. 5'8" 145-160 lbs 4 years ago, working out multiple times a week.

I haven't done anything since. Can I get back in shape without going back to the gym? I have a bit of social anxiety that I'm dealing with, which would go absolutely haywire if I tried to go to a gym.

I do have a pullup bar and a treadmill downstairs (whatever), and I'm willing to buy more shit if I need it. I need to lose weight and get in shape again, lest the rest of my life devolve into pure shit. I want to feel good about myself again. I weigh 185 lbs now =(

Yeah, you can. Running is your best option. Use the treadmill. But if you want to get big [ie, muscular] you need to have access to proper equipment.

If you just want to lose weight, cardio and eating right should do the trick.

mr stroke

Chichikov said:
Sort of.
You can do cardio on your days off (I would recommend on having at least two off days to begin with though).
Just listen to your body, it’s a great routine, but a taxing one for a beginner.
As for reps, 5X5 on deadlifts and cleans in a lot.
I would start with no more than 3 sets (probably less at first).

well I am going to give that routine a shot with 2 off days(maybe 1 if I feel lazy:D )..I am hoping this will break me out of my current plateau that I can't seem to get out of(been lifting/runing 5-6 days a week for about 6 years solid now, running endurance has improved ten fold from years ago, but I can't seem to make many gains weight lifting over the last two years in most areas other than my back)

reilo

mr stroke said:
well I am going to give that routine a shot with 2 off days(maybe 1 if I feel lazy:D )..I am hoping this will break me out of my current plateau that I can't seem to get out of(been lifting/runing 5-6 days a week for about 6 years solid now, running endurance has improved ten fold from years ago, but I can't seem to make many gains weight lifting over the last two years in most areas other than my back)

I don't want to sound like a broken record... :lol

Let your body rest. Taking off one week every few months is also helpful!

reilo said:
Yeah, you can. Running is your best option. Use the treadmill. But if you want to get big [ie, muscular] you need to have access to proper equipment.

If you just want to lose weight, cardio and eating right should do the trick.

I want to get muscular again, but I'd rather at least get my body to the point it can run a mile without stopping before I start hitting up the gym. I'm so ridiculously out of shape. I started running yesterday, did a mile, and just got back from half a mile just now.

mr stroke said:
if your up to it and enjoy cardio, I strongly recomend HIIT-its fast and reqiures no gym.
find a park and an Ipod and go at it.

try something like this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1XxRTyXfX4

Thanks, I'm pretty well-adjusted to HIIT shit from playing a fuckton of DDR years ago along with daily tennis calisthenics. Definitely going to give it a try.

Edit: Jesus, that guy is hardcore. I was tired from watching that for 3 minutes, and he repeats it after 1 minute? Fuck.

mr stroke said:
when you say "catch up with me" are you saying that all the extra working out will become counterproductive or that my body will have mass fatigue/soreness or are we taking about later in life?(am 27 now)
I know it sounds stupid, but off days kill me so much mentaly I feel slow and lazy, I HAVE to be active at the very least 5 days a week.

so maybe swap out a Cardio/HIIT day

Week 1

Mon-Squat, bench press, power clean (weighted pullups, time permitting)
Tues-Cardio/HIIT
Wens-Squat, shoulder press, deadlift (weighted dips, time permitting)
Thurs-OFF
Fri-Squat, bench press, power clean (weighted pullups, time permitting)
Sat-Cardio/HIIT
Sun-OFF

Then next week:

Week 2

Mon-Squat, shoulder press, deadlift (weighted dips, time permitting)[/b]
Tues-Cardio/HIIT
Wens-Squat, bench press, power clean (weighted pullups, time permitting)
Thurs-OFF
Fri-Squat, shoulder press, deadlift (weighted dips, time permitting)[/B
Sat-Cardio/HIIT
Sun-OFF

Ok, well...how about this?

Week 1

Tues-OFF
Wed-Shoulder press, light deadlifts, weighted dips, HIIT/Cardio
Thurs-OFF
Fri-Squat, bench press, deadlifts (weighted pullups, time permitting)
Sat-Light cardio
Sun-OFF

Then next week:

Week 2

Mon-Shoulder press, light deadlifts, weighted dips, HIIT/Cardio
Tues-OFF
Wed-Squat, bench press, deadlift (weighted pullups, time permitting)
Thurs-OFF
Fri-Light squat, shoulder press, power clean (weighted dips, time permitting)
Sat-Cardio/HIIT
Sun-OFF

How's that look? Like reilo said...you aren't making gains in weight lifting because of all the work you're doing. Your body NEEDS to rest. You're overtraining--listen to your complaints:

I am hoping this will break me out of my current plateau that I can't seem to get out of(been lifting/runing 5-6 days a week for about 6 years solid now, running endurance has improved ten fold from years ago, but I can't seem to make many gains weight lifting over the last two years in most areas other than my back)

In your case, less is going to be more. Trust us.

RiskyChris said:
I'm trying to read the starting strength wiki, but I think it's like 4 gigs of text...

I used to be in pretty good shape. 5'8" 145-160 lbs 4 years ago, working out multiple times a week.

I haven't done anything since. Can I get back in shape without going back to the gym? I have a bit of social anxiety that I'm dealing with, which would go absolutely haywire if I tried to go to a gym.

I do have a pullup bar and a treadmill downstairs (whatever), and I'm willing to buy more shit if I need it. I need to lose weight and get in shape again, lest the rest of my life devolve into pure shit. I want to feel good about myself again. I weigh 185 lbs now =(

Edit: I also have incredibly small and weak wrists, dunno if its genetic or what. Is there something I can do to strengthen them, or at least make sure I'm being safe while training?

RiskyChris, as the author of the SS wiki says, he doesn't mean for it to be a replacement for the book AT ALL. You should buy the book if you want to do the program--seriously.

If you don't want to go to the gym and you want to get serious about weight lifting, you'll need to get a barbell set (up to 300 lbs) and a squat rack.

For your wrists--practice punching. You can't punch correctly and safely without keeping the back of your hand in line with your forearm. Ingraining that into you, plus pushups on your knuckles (KEEPING the back surface of your hand in line with your forearm) will help strengthen them. Otherwise--deadlifts and grip training.

reaver18

Working out is the most amazing thing when you start seeing real results. I've been working out for 2-3 months now. I started at 120 lbs, right now I'm just below 140. I went from a twig with no muscle, to being pretty ripped. So far, I haven't tried any supplements at all. I think the next step is to start taking protein shakes and dedicate myself to gaining another 10 lbs.

Mr. Snrub said:
RiskyChris, as the author of the SS wiki says, he doesn't mean for it to be a replacement for the book AT ALL. You should buy the book if you want to do the program--seriously.

If you don't want to go to the gym and you want to get serious about weight lifting, you'll need to get a barbell set (up to 300 lbs) and a squat rack.

For your wrists--practice punching. You can't punch correctly and safely without keeping the back of your hand in line with your forearm. Ingraining that into you, plus pushups on your knuckles (KEEPING the back surface of your hand in line with your forearm) will help strengthen them. Otherwise--deadlifts and grip training.

Thanks for the advice w.r.t. wrists. I think what I'm going to do is spend my summer getting my confidence back in check, and then when I go back to school this Fall I'll have access to a free gym.

reilo

Mr. Snrub said:
Ok, well...how about this?

Week 1

Tues-OFF
Wed-Shoulder press, light deadlifts, weighted dips, HIIT/Cardio
Thurs-OFF
Fri-Squat, bench press, deadlifts (weighted pullups, time permitting)
Sat-Light cardio
Sun-OFF

Then next week:

Week 2

Mon-Shoulder press, light deadlifts, weighted dips, HIIT/Cardio
Tues-OFF
Wed-Squat, bench press, deadlift (weighted pullups, time permitting)
Thurs-OFF
Fri-Light squat, shoulder press, power clean (weighted dips, time permitting)
Sat-Cardio/HIIT
Sun-OFF

How's that look? Like reilo said...you aren't making gains in weight lifting because of all the work you're doing. Your body NEEDS to rest. You're overtraining--listen to your complaints:

In your case, less is going to be more. Trust us.

LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

I'll add one more advice, and please, just do it? Take one week off. Right now. Don't workout today nor over the weekend. In fact, don't do any workouts until June 30th. Just rest.

Let your body calm itself a bit. You'll be much better off.

HolyStar

Banned
reilo said:
Well, gee, captain, could you be a little less vague?

Do you want powder?
Pre-made shakes?
Bars?

The real answer though, is food - and specifically all kinds of meat. But I'm going to assume that you mean one of the three above?

Meat isn't a supplement.

I was talking about Muscle milk vs. ON 100%

Also how is the orange cream flavor of Muscle milk?

mr stroke

reilo said:
LISTEN TO THIS MAN.

I'll add one more advice, and please, just do it? Take one week off. Right now. Don't workout today nor over the weekend. In fact, don't do any workouts until June 30th. Just rest.

Let your body calm itself a bit. You'll be much better off.

AHHHHH a week off?
reason? can you explain the benifits of taking a full week off? muscle growth?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mr stroke said:

AHHHHH a week off?

You muscles are usually in a constant state of repair. I think someone posted in this thread that a single workout can take the particular muscle you worked out weeks to fully recover or something. The reason for getting back to a muscle group so quickly (48 hours rest) is because thats minimum rest its had enough to be stressed again.

reilo

mr stroke said:

AHHHHH a week off?

The benefits? How about not tearing your muscle or tendons from overuse? Like BlueTsunami said, and like all of us have said, you need rest. Take the time off until June 30th. It is to your benefit.

BlueTsunami said:
You muscles are usually in a constant state of repair. I think someone posted in this thread that a single workout can take the particular muscle you worked out weeks to fully recover or something. The reason for getting back to a muscle group so quickly (48 hours rest) is because thats minimum rest its had enough to be stressed again.

Exactly. mr stroke, overtraining is a cumulative effect. It takes over 4 weeks for a muscle to fully "recover"--you are CONSTANTLY training in a "deficit". You WANT to overreach, not overtrain. Overreach is training just enough to alert your body into adaptation. Although you never really let a muscle fully "recover", you have to rest enough to allow your muscles to begin adapting, and then you challenge them again. If you are ALWAYS training, day in and out...your muscles never even BEGIN to recover (please note that elite athletes who DO train 6 days a week are in the upper 1% of the training population). Take a week off, then start again, with lowered intensity, and begin building back up. You really think your body can take balls to the wall 100% of the time?

Mr.City said:
Is there any advantage/disadvantage from doing stiff leg deadlifts as opposed to regular deadlifts?

They're definitely no substitute for deadlifts. They involved no knee extension and no quad involvement; the weight used is no where NEAR what can be used for regular deadlifts. They ARE a good accessory exercises for lagging hamstring and lower back development. I wouldn't recommend doing them unless you have a need for specialization; deadlifts will usually hit everything they hit. Once you start noticing a weakness in that area, put them in.

lil smoke

Banned
HolyStar said:
Meat isn't a supplement.

I was talking about Muscle milk vs. ON 100%

Also how is the orange cream flavor of Muscle milk?
I don't mind Muscle Milk.. it's probably not the best choice. I only drink the vanilla flavors when I have one. Mix it with some real milk, put it in some Kashi Go Protein or whatever that shit is.

Edit: I love deadlifts. So, do you guys use a stepping board when you do them?

lil smoke said:
Well, you can't get low with 45s on the bar. So I use a platform to make sure the plates don't hit the ground.

No?

Oh, okay. I thought you meant you were doing step up deadlifts or something. :D

No, I actually haven't done those, but when I start focusing on a deadlift cycle, I probably will. Supposed to be a great assistance exercises for beginning the pull.

aznpxdd

I just started benching again and have been working my way up. I can do 4x8 135 pounds (45's on each side), is it better to do 3x8 with more weight?

aznpxdd said:
I just started benching again and have been working my way up. I can do 4x8 135 pounds (45's on each side), is it better to do 3x8 with more weight?
Damn, I still can't hit more than 5 on one set with 135. Then again I'm not trying to gain strength, but hmph. Today I couldn't even find a spot to see if I could do more, so I didn't even get to attempt it. Ah well, hopefully next time.

Christopher

2279070177_7469529e81.jpg

Screw Muscle Milk I drink that after every workout.

reilo

Just went to 24HrFit for the first time after signing up yesterday. Did biceps curls with 90lb barbell then switched down to 70lbs after a couple of sets [70 was too easy almost, I think if they had 80 it would've been perfect, but I'll most likely stick to 90 in a couple of weeks once I adjust]. Gotta say though, pull-ups kicked my damn ass. Probably worked my biceps out more than anything, but I managed to get in a good 20 reps. Felt good though.

Also did some back work. What do you guys prefer? I alternated between lateral machine pulldowns with a barbell and then to machine rows. I figure the machine rows works more towards the mid-back while the lat pulldowns work closer to the upper back and shoulders.

Oh, then did some light cardio running for about 10mins and then decided to play some pick-up basketball for the first time in over a year. Gotta say I wasn't feeling as weak while running, moving front-to-back and side-to-side as I thought I would, but jumping was laughable.

I'm 6'5 and wasn't even able to grab the rim tonight :lol I figure a few weeks of squats and getting back into cardio is going to remedy that now that I have access to proper equipment.

Although, I gotta say, I didn't lose a step in my basketball skills on defense or the fundamentals, just my jump shot was way off and I didn't have a quick first step on offense. I'll get it back though. I'm sure I'm going to not be able to walk tomorrow though.

methos75

Banned
anyone try Anabolic Pump yet, I got two bottles for free from My Gym and wondering how it works for you who have tried it. And Lean Body is disgusting, I rather Muscle Milk, I can get a for pack for $5, so the price is right for me.

methos75

Banned
yacobod said:
honestly doubling up the weights isnt very realistic, i think true progress is something that is gradual over time, and not something that can be had in a few weeks or months

for quick gains i think my only options are honestly a cycle of steroids, or a serious bulk, and i honestly dont want to gain that much more weight, so i'm content to go slow and steady, keeping my logs, and trying to improve from month to month

i think i lift relatively heavy, relative meaning that in the real strength community it would be pretty poor, but for a regular joe business professional/office monkey i think i'm fairly strong

what i'm saying is that i dont think i stand out too much from the regular guy on the street, i'm 5'9" 205 lbs, 34" waist in jeans and dress pants, and i've never noticed any box staring at my chest

my gym stats:

i can hit 315 raw on bench, and i've been doing 275 x 5 the past 2 weeks on my last 1 or 2 working sets, after flat bb on db incline i usually work up to the 95s or 100s for 8 solid reps

my squat isnt that great because i neglected it for a few years, but i've been squatting for the past 2 months 2x/week, at the beginning of May 225x5 was a struggle for me, but i've kept at it, and now i've already worked up to 315x5, a new personal best for me, i'd like like to work up to 315x10 sometime this fall or winter, at least thats my goal, i no longer fear leg day, i've learned to embrace it, i think the biggest thing was getting over the DOMS, think my legs are used to the work now, and they dont get that sore anymore

shoulder press i can do 80 lb dbs for 10 reps, and can push out 90s for like 5 on my last set

i don't really waste any time doing anything fancy, for triceps i love close grip bench, dips, and skull crushers

i don't particularly enjoy training biceps

so overall i think i'm pretty solid, i guess i could start deadlifting again, but i'll probably wait until its winter time so i can start wearing sweat pants in the gym again, i hate deadlifting in shorts, cuz i always cut up my shins, and make a bloody mess in the gym

I like it, I wear a suit and tie too work and even in it my Chest looks massive. Its kinda of funny, when I first started working there just Chicks would stare, but in the past six months I have really thicken it out to about 54 inches, and I even catch other dudes staring now and whispering too each other about how big I am.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
methos75 said:
I like it, I wear a suit and tie too work and even in it my Chest looks massive. Its kinda of funny, when I first started working there just Chicks would stare, but in the past six months I have really thicken it out to about 54 inches, and I even catch other dudes staring now and whispering too each other about how big I am.

You have a 54" chest?

Just to compare Jonnie Jackson has a 50" chest ( IFBB), Pudzianowski 58", Coleman 60".

methos75

Banned
MrToughPants said:
You have a 54" chest?

Yeah, but I'll be honest, it is genetic because I was pushing 48 even before ever lifting one weight and could do 225 for 8 reps from the start of my lifting career. Everyone in my family is just naturally big and strong, I just decided to capitalize on it by actually getting in the gym. Also, those guys are way way more cut than me, I am hovering around 12% BF, so if I got to their level I be much smaller probably.

Jirotrom

Qwerty710710 said:
I'm very disappointed every seems to be developing muscles at a decent rate. I'm just not seeing that in myself right now.
are you trying to develop size... if so you need to let your muscles rest in order for them to build, if you arent already doing that.

JB1981

So I have been doing this 'Mass Gain' routine that I got from bodybuilding.com for the last 3 weeks.

This is the routine: (I have made some of my own modifications) *everything is to failure
-squats 1x8 -
-dumbell lunges 1x8
-leg curls 1x8 -
- leg extensions 1x8
-calf raises 1x8
-weighted pullups/dips 1x8
-barbell shoulder press 1x8
-overhead lat pullovers 1x8
-bench press 1x8
-seated rows 1x8
-barbell bicep curls 1x8
-skull crushers 1x8
-abs

it's a 3-day routine (mon,wed,fri) and apparently it's supposed to help you gain size and a spotter/partner is mandatory to push through those last few reps. i do the workout on my own and i have found that I actually do about 3 sets each of a few of the workouts. instead of putting on size, I have actually gotten more cut (i suspect it's because I burn so many calories). I'm starting to get kind of bored of this and there are back-specific workouts that I feel like I'm neglecting. The weight pullups have helped, I can now do about 15 regular pullups with ease and I can do about 30 regular dips pretty easily. The weighted dips feel great and my squatting power is starting to get better. I NEVER used to squat and I don't think I could EVER go back to a routine where I neglected squats.

I have not added deadlifts to my workout yet because I'm actually somewhat intimidated by them. I don't want to do them wrong. My bench press has gotten a little better. I can put up 225 for 5, but I'd like to improve on this greatly.

- what i really want to work on is stamina. I'm talking like, I want to hit the chest and shoulders and get STRONGER throughout the workout. I want some really good muscle stamina. What is the best way to achieve this? The routine I'm doing now does kick my ass, but I feel like I want to hit my muscles even harder. I think my biggest problem is I don't have a partner. Do you guys think this routine is good for building stamina or should I go back to a split routine? I also need some good suggestions for abs.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Jirotrom said:
are you trying to develop size... if so you need to let your muscles rest in order for them to build, if you arent already doing that.

Yeah I'm trying to get size. I'm pretty sure I do rest.

Ace 8095

pollo said:
God if I don't do anything but sit around and eat 4 times a week I'm going to fucking balloon. I honestly have horrible, horrible metabolism.
If you are not loosing fat I would suggest adding 1 day of HIIT or Crossfit. You may be able to add two a week but you must get adequate rest. If loosing weight is your ultimate goal squatting three times a week may not be the best way to go. I believe that with the right diet you can make starting strength work for you, it’s just finding the right way to get the results you desire.

mr stroke

Chichikov said:
I would do something like -
Squat, bench press, power clean (weighted pullups, time permitting).

couldn't stay away from the gym to rest(wanted to try Chichikovs 3 day split)
I have never tried power cleans before and holly shit fuck! what a great fucking lift, I love that I can feel a rush through out my entire body..but I can't seem to add that exploding jump at the end?

are you guys exploding at the end like this?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

or are you just coming straight up with no jump?

reilo

mr stroke said:
couldn't stay away from the gym to rest(wanted to try Chichikovs 3 day split)
I have never tried power cleans before and holly shit fuck! what a great fucking lift, I love that I can feel a rush through out my entire body..but I can't seem to add that exploding jump at the end?

are you guys exploding at the end like this?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

or are you just coming straight up with no jump?

Dude, what the hell? Take the time off man.

Have you ever seen Michael Jordan in his mid-to-late 30s? Ice packs on knees and all?

And Michael Jordan was probably one of the top 1% athletes of our generation. Extremely well conditioned and always in tip-top shape. If you keep this up without taking some time off now, you'll need more than just ice packs on your knees by the time you are 30 [3 years from now.] And guess what? He wasn't in the gym 5-6 times a week lifting weights, he did that in the off-season.

That was years and years of accumulated stress that built up on his knees from how many games and minutes he has played in his career. Your are doing that except adding up to a couple of hundred pounds to your frame, day in and day out.

You are hurting yourself more than you are helping.

mr stroke

reilo said:
Dude, what the hell? Take the time off man.

Have you ever seen Michael Jordan in his mid-to-late 30s? Ice packs on knees and all?

And Michael Jordan was probably one of the top 1% athletes of our generation. Extremely well conditioned and always in tip-top shape. If you keep this up without taking some time off now, you'll need more than just ice packs on your knees by the time you are 30 [3 years from now.] And guess what? He wasn't in the gym 5-6 times a week lifting weights, he did that in the off-season.

That was years and years of accumulated stress that built up on his knees from how many games and minutes he has played in his career. Your are doing that except adding up to a couple of hundred pounds to your frame, day in and day out.

You are hurting yourself more than you are helping.

:lol
I know, I know...I need to go to "workout rehab"

I am taking your advise and will be taking about a week off starting early next week(doing this because of my shity work hours)

so I started Chich's 3 day split now rolling into next week-then a week off(I am going to have to go on long walks or something, to keep me from going insane)

aznpxdd said:
What would be good looking at what I can do right now?

If you were doing 135 for 4x8, just start 5x5 with that much, and increase by 5 lbs each session until it gets too tough, then increase by smaller amounts (2.5 every session).

DarthWufei said:
Damn, I still can't hit more than 5 on one set with 135. Then again I'm not trying to gain strength, but hmph. Today I couldn't even find a spot to see if I could do more, so I didn't even get to attempt it. Ah well, hopefully next time.

Sorry, I don't mean to focus on you, but I really don't understand this. Why on earth would you bother with deadlifts, or even lifting in general, if you didn't want to get stronger? You do realize that getting stronger on the lifts is only going to help your goal, no matter WHAT your goal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom