• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Marvie_3 said:
Whats the best way anyone has found to strengthen the torso and burn stomach fat? I eat a good diet, run several times a week and am pretty tone everywhere else but my midsection is still a problem. I know my abs are strong but just can't seem to slim down. Any exercises that work better than others?

Its all in the diet. Cut down on fat, visible abs are made in the kitchen.

Nothing I ever do in the gym seem to have any result on my Pecs. Just seem to build on the shoulders and arms. Suppose my genes were coded with dismal muscle-fiber ratio in the pecs, cause I really have trouble targeting the region and see any results. What would you guys recommend (
besides giving up and accept my fate
).

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
winston_pr said:
Nothing I ever do in the gym seem to have any result on my Pecs. Just seem to build on the shoulders and arms. Suppose my genes were coded with dismal muscle-fiber ratio in the pecs, cause I really have trouble targeting the region and see any results. What would you guys recommend (
).

What is your current routine?

i just started going to the gym a month ago and ive done a pretty good job of going 5-6 days a week, typically an hour of cardio and a little bit of weight lifting (only for my thighs). what im trying to do is cut down on my thighs and ass, basically. anyone know of any good methods for that? both exercise-wise and nutrition-wise

Chichikov

Marvie_3 said:
Whats the best way anyone has found to strengthen the torso and burn stomach fat? I eat a good diet, run several times a week and am pretty tone everywhere else but my midsection is still a problem. I know my abs are strong but just can't seem to slim down. Any exercises that work better than others?
tsp_gatmog said:
i just started going to the gym a month ago and ive done a pretty good job of going 5-6 days a week, typically an hour of cardio and a little bit of weight lifting (only for my thighs). what im trying to do is cut down on my thighs and ass, basically. anyone know of any good methods for that? both exercise-wise and nutrition-wise

Spot reducing doesn't work.
Your body's fat distribution and where it loses it from is based on genetics.

Captain, you think you can add something about it to the OP?
It's been answered few times (at least by me) in this thread already.

methos75

Banned
Well if your trying to cut down on leg size, I stay away from any lifting that specifically targets just that area, because your only building.

pollo

Banned
jacf29 said:
I work at dominos and most days I can work and eat decent foods. But friday and saturday I don't have enough time to make food and have to eat lunch and dinner while at work.

The buffalo chicken kickers seem like an alright option (out of what dominos has). Would eating 2 of these a day two times a week hamper my exercise efforts? Here is the link to nutrition info for them. *There are 10 servings in each meal of chicken kickers*

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/foods-from-dominos/7148/2

take off the batter and I think that would probably lower it to 0 fat, 4gs of protein. Which, would also cut down the calories to around 30 per piece.

Would seem like a good source of protein to me, but I'm no expert.

jacf29

Banned
pollo said:
take off the batter and I think that would probably lower it to 0 fat, 4gs of protein. Which, would also cut down the calories to around 30 per piece.

Would seem like a good source of protein to me, but I'm no expert.

It's impossible to take off the batter. It comes with the batter glued on.

jacf29

Banned
This week has been a bad week. It looks like that day I decided to say fuck it and eat 4,000 calories or so moved me up from 193 to 194.5

So i'll go ahead and post an update on week 6:

Start: 203 pounds

End of week 1: 201 pounds

End of week 2: 199 pounds

End of week 3: 196.5 pounds

End of week 4: 194 pounds

End of week 5: 193 pounds

End of week 6: 194.5 pounds

GHG

winston_pr said:
).

Pec flies, pec flies and more pec flies. Preferably with dumbells on a bench (incline and flat). Oh and do some wide grip benching (both on flat and incline). Cable pullovers are also good. Just dedicate a session to doing chest stuff, its a large enough area.

aznpxdd

My summer school is starting tomorrow and I plan to hit the school's gym everyday from Monday to Thursday. What would be an ideal workout plan?

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
GHG said:
Pec flies, pec flies and more pec flies. Preferably with dumbells on a bench (incline and flat). Oh and do some wide grip benching (both on flat and incline). Cable pullovers are also good. Just dedicate a session to doing chest stuff, its a large enough area.

Nothing I ever do in the gym seem to have any result on my Pecs. Just seem to build on the shoulders and arms

Pec flies target your front delts, biceps and the upper clavical, where your delts join your pecs. They're a great isolation exercise but not a compound, so build around either flat barbell bench or incline DB press 45-60 degrees.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So, after playing basketball for the first time in forever and doing any serious cardio in that same time span, the day after [yesterday], I felt just fine...

But man, I'm feeling it today. Sore as hell.

So after reading this thread, Im under the impression you cannot lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. So how exactly do you lose the fat to get more "cut" up? Would it be taking off a month from weightlifiting and going purely on cardio and aerboic exercises and a diet? Then inevitably I guess you would lose muscle as well and strength and have to work you way back up.

reilo

Straightballin said:
So after reading this thread, Im under the impression you cannot lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. So how exactly do you lose the fat to get more "cut" up? Would it be taking off a month from weightlifiting and going purely on cardio and aerboic exercises and a diet? Then inevitably I guess you would lose muscle as well and strength and have to work you way back up.

What? You lose fat by dieting right and doing cardio. You gain muscle by lifting weights. You can do both, but you just have to be smart about it and split up your workouts accordingly.

Although, I think a good approach might be to lose weight/fat first, then hit the weights.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Straightballin said:

You can lose fat by weightlifting, to a degree. Drastic weight loss if one is obese, then Dieting and Cardio are necessary (this is also applied to "cutting" which is dropping bodyfat to single digits so you can see each muscle).

The way I think of it is like a pendulum. You have Weightlifting/Bodybuilding on one side and Cardio/Other Aerobic exercises on the other. The speed at which you progress to each respective side (and their benefits) depends on how much work you put into it but it will hurt the speed of the other. You can have perfect balance between the two but it'll hurt the speed of progression from both. It all depends on where your needs are placed and how much weight you place into one side.

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Mr. Snrub said:
What's your routine? What are you eating?

I posted it about a month ago.

Incline Bench 3x8 @ 75lbs
Shoulder Press 3x8 @
Dips 3x8
Barbell Curls 3x8 @ 70lbs
some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dumbell rows 3x8 @50lbs for each arm
Dips same problem
Sometimes I'll thrown in dumbell curls at the end.

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

I only use machines on dips and pull ups since I can't really pull or push my own weight that much yet. I think I'm about ready to start benching 115lbs.

Chichikov

Qwerty710710 said:

Shoulder Press 3x8 @
Dips 3x8
some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dips same problem

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

I only use machines on dips and pull ups since I can't really pull or push my own weight that much yet. I think I'm about ready to start benching 115lbs.
You have a good enough routine, if you're not seeing growth there are two probable reasons -
You're not eating enough or you're not training hard enough (i.e. increase the weights).

Ace 8095

Qwerty710710 said:

Shoulder Press 3x8 @
Dips 3x8
some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dips same problem

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

Start Rippetoe's tomorrow, thank me when you gain at least 5 pounds in a month. There is no reason a person at your level should be doing the above program over Rippetoe's. NONE!!!

Darkman M

Qwerty710710 said:

Shoulder Press 3x8 @
Dips 3x8
some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dips same problem

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

Yeah you should change the weight up probably, how long have you been doing the same weight? How much do you weight? i cant imagine benching 110 3x8 is gonna get you a massive chest especially if you can do it easily? Are you eating enough and getting a good amount of protein in your system?

Chichikov

Ace 8095 said:
Start Rippetoe's tomorrow, thank me when you gain at least 5 pounds in a month. There is no reason a person at your level should be doing the above program over Rippetoe's. NONE!!!
You're getting dogmatic.
From what I read, there's not that big of a difference between his routine (which I don't think is ideal, but it's good enough for a begginer) and Ripptoe's.
If he's not seeing gains it's not because he's doing curls instead of power cleans.

Darkman M

Ace 8095 said:

and this, im a big guy about 6'1 238 and this program works for me it's great.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
I started to workout last year but I know I was doing everything wrong. At least 9 of those months were unproductive and full of mistakes I shouldn't even count those months. It wasn't really I've read this thread and asking other people in my gym were I'm actually seeing some results not alot but something.

Ace 8095

Chichikov said:
You're getting dogmatic.
From what I read, there's not that big of a difference between his routine (which I don't think is ideal, but it's good enough for a begginer) and Ripptoe's.
If he's not seeing gains it's not because he's doing curls instead of power cleans.
I recommend Rippetoe's because of the focus on linear progression. He should be adding weight to the bar every time, and I guarantee you he is not. Also why should he not squat three times a week when all he squats is 145? I’ve had friends who’ve followed similar routines and made far better gains by switching to Rippetoe’s. It’s hard to argue with results, and he’s already admitted he’s not getting them on his current program.

Chichikov

Ace 8095 said:
I recommend Rippetoe's because of the focus on linear progression. He should be adding weight to the bar every time, and I guarantee you he is not. Also why should he not squat three times a week when all he squats is 145? I’ve had friends who’ve followed similar routines and made far better gains by switching to Rippetoe’s. It’s hard to argue with results, and he’s already admitted he’s not getting them on his current program.
No argument here.
But wouldn't it be more constructive to just say (as I did) - raise your weights.
It's a simple solution that does not require him to change his entire regime.

Jirotrom

winston_pr said:
).
go do pushups on parallel bars, if you want size do some flies.

Boogie

Chichikov said:
No argument here.
But wouldn't it be more constructive to just say (as I did) - raise your weights.
It's a simple solution that does not require him to change his entire regime.

BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW RIPPETOE'S TO THE LETTER, YER A PUSSY!!!!!!!!!11111

reilo

Gee, what did all those people do before Rippetoe came around? Schmucks!

Musta been all them 'roids.

lil smoke

Banned
Qwerty710710 said:
What you need is a good spot to enable you to get that bench up, without the fear of putting up too much weight. It looks like you need to force yourself beyond the comfort zone. Are you getting muscle failure after workouts? When you feel like you can barely take a shower because your muscles are so sore... then you're developing correctly. (In my experience and O)

Also, trying not to contradicting myself... but patience.

1stStrike

Banned
I need new outdoor running shoes. I wear a size 10 1/2 - 11 and have wide feed (so I don't like a cramped shoe). Any recommendations on shoe brand/type?

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
lil smoke said:
What you need is a good spot to enable you to get that bench up, without the fear of putting up too much weight. It looks like you need to force yourself beyond the comfort zone. Are you getting muscle failure after workouts? When you feel like you can barely take a shower because your muscles are so sore... then you're developing correctly. (In my experience and O)

Also, trying not to contradicting myself... but patience.

For the past two weeks I've been getting comfortable with my benches thats why I said I was going to pump it up, and deadlifts too. But yeah at first I was sore plus I don't think I'm doing pull ups correctly because I feel nothing in my lats and yet I struggle using 100 lbs resistance I think I'm using my arms too much.

lil smoke

Banned
Oh, guess I'm technically wrong then, but I'm sticking to what I do.

^^disregard my last post then.

Anyway, for me... a good soreness after a workout is a good thing. I know that when I lift to fatigue myself, I develop endurance and raise my pain threshold. So next week, next month, I can push it further and further... in time, getting bigger and stronger.

That's just me though, I guess everyone is different.

Chichikov

1stStrike said:
I need new outdoor running shoes. I wear a size 10 1/2 - 11 and have wide feed (so I don't like a cramped shoe). Any recommendations on shoe brand/type?
Go to a running store, get a pair fitted, you'll thank me later.

lil smoke said:
What you need is a good spot to enable you to get that bench up, without the fear of putting up too much weight.
If a good spot is not available, you can easily bench in a power cage with using the safety pins.

Qwerty710710 said:
For the past two weeks I've been getting comfortable with my benches thats why I said I was going to pump it up, and deadlifts too. But yeah at first I was sore plus I don't think I'm doing pull ups correctly because I feel nothing in my lats and yet I struggle using 100 lbs resistance I think I'm using my arms too much.
Soreness is not a good indicator for progress.
Progress (i.e. raising weights) is a good indication for it (duh).

Qwerty710710 said:

Shoulder Press 3x8 @
Dips 3x8
some kind of pull ups.

Squats 4x8 @ 145lbs
Hack Squat 4x8 @ 50lbs

Deadlifts 3x8 @ 225lbs
Bench Press 3x8 @ 110lbs
Dips same problem

Front Squats 3x8 @ 95lbs
Lunges 3x8
Jump Squats 3x8

Ah yeah, I remember. Didn't know if you had changed it up.

Honestly, it might be best to just ditch the routine and go for a simpler, full body routine 3x a week.

I know Starting Strength has been suggested over and over, but even if you don't go for it, look for a full body routine. I wasted so much time on bullshit training methods, and in most instances, for 75% of the population, simpler is better.

reilo said:
Gee, what did all those people do before Rippetoe came around? Schmucks!

Musta been all them 'roids.

Hahaha, it must seem odd that everyone is recommending the program. But really...any forum you look, where someone has done the program--it works. Strength and size increase. It's simple and it works--most novices were going to bodybuilding magazines and forums and asking what the best split to do during the weeks. Starting Strength is trying to shift awareness away from that.

lil smoke

Banned
Chichikov said:
Soreness is not a good indicator for progress.
Why not? Day one. Lift 115 lbs. You're sore.

Day 8. Lift 115 lbs. Not sore.

That's what I call progress. Now you are able to move up to 165 lbs. It doesn't have to be complicated.
Chichikov said:
Progress (i.e. raising weights) is a good indication for it (duh).
:lol well, yeah, and this.

lil smoke said:

That's what I call progress. Now you are able to move up to 165 lbs. It doesn't have to be complicated.

I rarely get sore after workouts and I still make progress. If I am sore, I still train and still make progress. Soreness is not constant enough of a factor to use as a progress gauge, and seems generally to be associated with high amounts of volume. GENERALLY. Sometimes when doing low volume but high intensity stuff, I will get sore (whether to a large degree or not, it depends). Sometimes I don't.

Chichikov

Mr. Snrub said:
Hahaha, it must seem odd that everyone is recommending the program. But really...any forum you look, where someone has done the program--it works. Strength and size increase. It's simple and it works--most novices were going to bodybuilding magazines and forums and asking what the best split to do during the weeks. Starting Strength is trying to shift awareness away from that.
It’s a bit funny because (at least from what I read) Ripptoe’s program is as old school as it gets.
Not saying it’s a bad thing, far from it, and anything that make people squat and deadlift is a-ok in my book.

lil smoke said:

If your goal is not getting sore after training, then yes, this is progress.
But it isn’t, it’s getting stronger.
You were lifting 115 on day 1, and 115 on day 8.
This is not progress.
Sure, you may have got stronger, but you really can’t know to what degree.

Struct09

lil smoke said:

Because the hormones responsible for muscle growth are not necessarily related to the fluids/acids/etc that cause your muscles to feel sore.

yacobod

Banned
Chichikov said:
You were lifting 115 on day 1, and 115 on day 8.
This is not progress.
Sure, you may have got stronger, but you really can’t know to what degree.

well if you can only do 115 for 3 reps on day 1, and can now do 115 for 6 reps on day 8

thats measurable progress

lil smoke

Banned
Struct09 said:
Because the hormones responsible for muscle growth are not necessarily related to the fluids/acids/etc that cause your muscles to feel sore.
Again, ya'll can get as technical as you want... that's all great info, respect. I've heard it before, but it's not really my point.

Alls I'm saying basically is, no pain - no gain.

If you're working out every day, or regularly and you feel fresh after workouts... "I" believe it will take you longer to develop strength and size. If you push yourself hard... to the point where you almost hurt and burn after workouts, I think you'll get there faster. Working to the point where it hurts involves high repitiion or high resistance... either will aid development, rather then in and out of the gym without feeling like you never touched a weight.

If I'm wrong, fine... but it works for me. Might work for someone else, or not.

mr stroke

1stStrike said:

+1 on the runing store, if you are logging a ton of miles its good to get your feet looked at to see if you need stability shoes or not. As for shoes its different for everyone, I myself love Asics, they fit my feet like a glove.

GHG

lil smoke said:
Again, ya'll can get as technical as you want... that's all great info, respect. I've heard it before, but it's not really my point.

If you're working out every day, or regularly and you feel fresh after workouts... "I" believe it will take you longer to develop strength and size. If you push yourself hard... to the point where you almost hurt and burn after workouts, I think you'll get there faster. Working to the point where it hurts involves high repitiion or high resistance... either will aid development, rather then in and out of the gym without feeling like you never touched a weight.

Thats pretty much the same as me. Unless I get to the point where I get the 'pump', I don't see any results. Its all pretty logical really though. Pump comes about after you've broken enough muscle tissue for blood to rush to and fill the area to make it swell and repair.

Chichikov

yacobod said:
well if you can only do 115 for 3 reps on day 1, and can now do 115 for 6 reps on day 8

thats measurable progress
Of course.
Two things though –
1. Increasing reps is not the best way to increase weight.
2. It is likely that you’re going to feel sorer after day eight, since higher reps usually results in more soreness.
lil smoke said:

Pushing yourself is key, and learning to like the soreness is important mentally.
The only thing I’m saying is that soreness is not a reliable enough indicator for progress.
It may be good enough for a beginner, but I think that’s in the long run you need more accurate tools for measuring your advancement, like a pen and paper ;).

Chichikov said:
It’s a bit funny because (at least from what I read) Ripptoe’s program is as old school as it gets.
Not saying it’s a bad thing, far from it, and anything that make people squat and deadlift is a-ok in my book.

Exactly! This stuffs been around since before the 70's...once "bodybuilding" became separated from "strength training", people thought that you should be training entirely differently for each. Most bodybuilders (excluding the advanced level) would do damned well on full body routines.

lil smoke said:

Again, the most important thing is that it works for you. But it has long been proven that lifting most of the time while "leaving a few reps in the tank" can be an excellent strength training tool. Pavel Tsatsouline championed the idea of how strength training in this manner should leave you "energized" after you work out. Paul Anderson experimented with this type of training often; I made some of first steps towards deadlifting by doing 2 sets of deadlifts a day, 5 days a week, for 8 weeks (cycling up and down throughout), never going to failure. Never got sore except maybe near the end, when I was moving heavier weight and hitting PR's.

lil smoke

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Again, the most important thing is that it works for you. But it has long been proven that lifting most of the time while "leaving a few reps in the tank" can be an excellent strength training tool. Pavel Tsatsouline championed the idea of how strength training in this manner should leave you "energized" after you work out. Paul Anderson experimented with this type of training often; I made some of first steps towards deadlifting by doing 2 sets of deadlifts a day, 5 days a week, for 8 weeks (cycling up and down throughout), never going to failure. Never got sore except maybe near the end, when I was moving heavier weight and hitting PR's.
Now, this is the type of challenge response that I enjoy.

Intriguing. I'll have to look into this a bit.

Of course, when I'm just starting a new lift, I don't attempt failure for at least a month or 2. Every exercise doesn't end in horrible inflammation either. Some of you know what I'm talking about. There's a point where you have to put some 'work' in, and you're gonna feel it. I don't mean kill yourself everyday. I would never have a beginner starting off working themself into pain. I assume most of us know these things. (however I have seen some personal trainers KILL kids in the gym on their very 1st day...)

But with deliberately avoiding any real fatigue during a workout... I'm not sure how I'd go about it. How do you know how much to lift? When do you know to move the lbs up? What type of resistance do you work to? I could be interested in this as a switch up routine, but it would be a change of mindset for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom