• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
1stStrike said:
There's a million of them out there, but what do you guys suggest for a fat burner that won't make me jittery/jumpy all day long? I obviously want something that actually works too.
The problem is that the government banned all the stuff that really works, all because a few idiots overused them. Most pills now are a combination of caffeine and some plant extracts. For similar results, drink your morning coffee and watch your diet.

Mr. Snrub said:
I'm going to start using creatine. It helps supply energy/ATP to the muscle, helps "prioritize" your body towards muscle recovery and also helps give permanent increases to your ability to recover (most important, in my opinion).

So yeah. It would probably make a difference. Creatine isn't a constant, magic pill though--seems to work great for some, not at all for others.
Hmm, but do I also have to get a diet with it? To you know, help it do its job?

Mr. Durden said:
Hmm, but do I also have to get a diet with it? To you know, help it do its job?
You need to increase your water intake, because creatine works by letting your muscle cells hold more water. And you want to keep your caffeine intake reasonable, esp. avoiding caffeine as you're taking the creatine. But eating spinach or not won't affect the creatine.

Boogie

Captain Glanton said:
4) You have an imbalance in your upper body--your back exercises are mostly vertical, but your front exercises are mostly horizontal. Try for more balance.

What sort of exercises would help balance things out? I've mostly been relying on weighted pull ups as my back exercise.

pete914

Mr. Snrub said:
Bent over rows.

Technically rows don't balance a bench pressing movement, as the scapulae contract in a similar way for a row and a BP. Face Pulls done with cables or bands are very effective for shoulder health and balancing pressing movements. I've added face pulls at least twice a week (I use a neutral grip most of the time, pronated the rest of the time) and it has seemed to help my shoulders a bit.

Nothing against rows, but it's a bit of a misnomer that it balances bench press.

I will note that none of that really came from myself, but more from what I've read from Cressey and Waterbury over at T-Nation.

pete914 said:
Technically rows don't balance a bench pressing movement, as the scapulae contract in a similar way for a row and a BP. Face Pulls done with cables or bands are very effective for shoulder health and balancing pressing movements. I've added face pulls at least twice a week (I use a neutral grip most of the time, pronated the rest of the time) and it has seemed to help my shoulders a bit.

Nothing against rows, but it's a bit of a misnomer that it balances bench press.

I will note that none of that really came from myself, but more from what I've read from Cressey and Waterbury over at T-Nation.

For one thing, you're doing a horizontal press, and following it up with a horizontal pull. I don't get the argument that because the muscle groups are moving in similar ways (except of course, one is PULLING and the other is PUSHING), it makes it ineffective. Second, your scapulae aren't supposed to move during the bench press. They should be back, "pinned tight" and stay that way during the repetitions. Properly performed bent rows are the opposite: you deload the bar every time and while you maintain lumbar extension/tension, you can allow thoracic curving. This helps instill the idea of rowing with your back, not just your arms.

I don't really care for Waterbury too much.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mr. Snrub said:
Sounds like you're doing them right.

:D

Sometime today I'm gonna have to take the stairs to get out of the house and I am already dreading it.

I think I'm going to skip tonight's workout session and just heal up :lol

reilo said:
Sometime today I'm gonna have to take the stairs to get out of the house and I am already dreading it.

I think I'm going to skip tonight's workout session and just heal up :lol
The trick to getting down the stairs when you feel that way is to take a deep breath and do them all at once, in a kind of controlled stumble.

reilo

Captain Glanton said:
The trick to getting down the stairs when you feel that way is to take a deep breath and do them all at once, in a kind of controlled stumble.

I think I used to do that... when I was like 3.

lil smoke

Banned
I hate doing back. Somehow it just tires the entire body out, but you feel like you didn't do anything. Did deadlifts and tried to focus on those squat tips ie: heels down, butt way down. Yeah. I just realized I have been cheating deadlift all this time. Could barely get my sets done.

Other than that, I'm glad they are renovating our locker room. We pay $70 pre month for a murky moldy locker room, with CARPET that smells like someone tracked old corn chips all over the floor. The wall behind where the lockers were... was COVERED in that black fuzzy mold. Looks like even the roaches are getting their workout-on. Disgusting.

Why is it that the people that work at the damn gym are out of shape. Shit you spend all day there, might as well pick a few things up?

bjork

lil smoke said:
Why is it that the people that work at the damn gym are out of shape. Shit you spend all day there, might as well pick a few things up?

A lot of people leave work behind when they are off, that includes a gym job.

Anyway, more on-topic. Today is the day I start actually moving. I'm tired of being such a lethargic slob. I'm not gonna work on lifting anything, though... I only have a couple of dumbbells anyway. I'm just gonna work on being able to like, go up stairs without being winded. :\

lil smoke said:
I hate doing back. Somehow it just tires the entire body out, but you feel like you didn't do anything. Did deadlifts and tried to focus on those squat tips ie: heels down, butt way down. Yeah. I just realized I have been cheating deadlift all this time. Could barely get my sets done.

Hm, well, all of the squat tips won't necessarily apply to the deadlift. For most, getting your butt down too low will push the knees over the bar and the shoulders behind the bar, which is not an optimal pulling position/bar path.

Otherwise, yeah, training the back sucks. I accidentally completely forgot my rows on Monday...but still got my power cleans, high pulls, and deadlifts in.

reilo

bjork said:

Anyway, more on-topic. Today is the day I start actually moving. I'm tired of being such a lethargic slob. I'm not gonna work on lifting anything, though... I only have a couple of dumbbells anyway. I'm just gonna work on being able to like, go up stairs without being winded. :\

Diet and cardio!

Don't need a state of the art gym to go out running. Find a school nearby that has an open track field, or just go running in a park.

lil smoke

Banned
bjork said:
bjorks gonna be doing some lunges in the near future!

Mr. Snrub said:
Hm, well, all of the squat tips won't necessarily apply to the deadlift. For most, getting your butt down too low will push the knees over the bar and the shoulders behind the bar, which is not an optimal pulling position/bar path.
Really? It's not advisable to get low for deadlift? Either way, my knees always go above the bar... down past the knees, against the shins, and roll back up... but this time, instead of leaning so forward, by putting the bodyweight at the heel, it forced me into a more upright posture. It felt better...

Mr. Snrub said:
Otherwise, yeah, training the back sucks. I accidentally completely forgot my rows on Monday...but still got my power cleans, high pulls, and deadlifts in.
Booo.

And I'm not saying, Boo-urns.

bjork said:

The best way to get in shape for something is to do it. In this case, start off by walking a set of stairs for a set period of time, and build up the number of floors that you're doing until you can handle a faster rate on them.

lil smoke said:
bjorks gonna be doing some lunges in the near future!

Really? It's not advisable to get low for deadlift? Either way, my knees always go above the bar... down past the knees, against the shins, and roll back up... but this time, instead of leaning so forward, by putting the bodyweight at the heel, it forced me into a more upright posture. It felt better...

Read this as well: A New, Rather Long Analysis of the Deadlift

Here is an image from the document, that I modified, to show incorrect bar path:

dl.JPG

Heavy things want to move in a straight line, and that's what proper positioning does. However, in my extremely crudely modified image, getting your hips too low will extend your knees TOO far over the bar. Having your knees over the bar is not a bad thing at all--as you begin the pull, your shins naturally straighten out with the bar path and its not a problem. However, if there is excessive knee bend (usually caused by getting too low), the bar path has to be modified to go around your knees and not only is this dangerous, but it is not efficient for lifting. In addition, it can cause UNNECESSARY drag and tear on the shins, if that's a concern.

So, basically when deadlifting, you want to get your hips as low as POSSIBLE to add in leg drive to the movement, but experiment and know your limits. You have gotten too low if:

-You have to consciously move the bar around your knees to get it up to your thight
-You begin hip extension BEFORE your knee extension is done.

The deadlift is: weight is dead on the floor -> knee extension -> bar passes the knees -> hip extension -> lockout.

Image: http://images.wikia.com/startingstrength/images//b/b3/The_Deadlift.jpg

Hope this helps. For all I know, you were doing them fine...but just some things to ponder! Your deadlift form is going to be something you'll be tweaking for a long time.

Captain Glanton said:
Booo.

And I'm not saying, Boo-urns.

I was saying Boo-urns.

Seriously, can't explain it. Finished bench, and next thing I know, I'm doing power cleans and thought...wait a second. I forgot something.

'Twas a long day.

Keep in mind that those of us with very short thighs [who are 'made for squats'] can get our butts very, very low without getting our knees out over the bar. I can probably get ATG without moving my knees forward.

Captain Glanton said:
Keep in mind that those of us with very short thighs [who are 'made for squats'] can get our butts very, very low without getting our knees out over the bar. I can probably get ATG without moving my knees forward.

Oh yeah, I'm the same way. I can get pretty low in deadlifts and squats comfortably (my long arms make benching a pain, though). I tried having a more normally proportioned friend do the same as me on deadlifts...not working.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Captain Glanton said:

Huh. I'm definitely NOT made for squats. Everytime I go down my penis touches the floor. Not comfortable.

lil smoke

Banned
That's an adequate title for this deadlift article :lol

Jeez, body parts I didn't know I had! ... most of this article is over my head, but I get the gist. To best engage the (so many) muscles involved with this,

A New said:
What this boils down to is that there are exactly three
criteria for a correct starting position for the deadlift:
1) The back must be locked in extension.
2) The bar must be touching the shins, with the feet
flat on the floor.
3) The shoulders must be out in front of the bar so
that the shoulder blades are directly above the bar.
I completely see what you're saying with the shoulder alignment in relation to the bar. Yeah, I'll have to have someone look at me while I'm doing it to be sure. It felt right though, there was no tension against the knees. However, I just did an air deadlift, and I do believe I may have been falling back a bit.

reilo

I found a solution to beat my nemesis the stairs:

Using my hands.

No, not hand stands, but rather using the railing for support and I just gently drop myself down because the stairs go around a corner so they are low enough to just lower myself from the top of the step to the bottom platform.

I see there's a lot of shot legs in here now. :lol I'm with you guys. I worked in some of the stuff the ol' Captain suggested and I can't even sit on anything that doesn't have a cushion. I just went out grocery shopping too and it was a bitch. :lol Thank god I don't have any stairs to worry about.

deadbeef

DarthWufei said:
I see there's a lot of shot legs in here now. :lol I'm with you guys. I worked in some of the stuff the ol' Captain suggested and I can't even sit on anything that doesn't have a cushion. I just went out grocery shopping too and it was a bitch. :lol Thank god I don't have any stairs to worry about.

The worst is when you're so sore you can't even sit down on the toilet. Or you look like a complete idiot getting into or out of your car.

mr stroke

How are you guys doing your shoulder presses?
Bar?Dumbells?seated?standing?Machine?

I generally switch between weeks, but is there a best and worst way to do them?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
mr stroke said:

I use dumbells, personally. But that's because I just have a home gym type set up. However, even if I did have access to a barbell I would still use dumbells most of the time. I use two 50lbs dumbells for my presses.

Chichikov

mr stroke said:

Standing, barbell, knees locked.
Standing engages your core muscles, so unless you have some serious injury you should not do seated.
Nothing terribly wrong with dumbbells, they are just a bit hard to work with on heavy weights.
And machines, well, just stay away from machines, didn’t you watch Terminator?

JB1981

Your legs recover pretty fast. I used to be so sore from my leg workouts but my body is starting to adapt to them - I feel little soreness these days and I'm actually doing more intense workouts than ever.

I am still a little afraid to go really heavy when squatting. I use the cage and I can only really do about 10 reps with 2 plates on each side (I started out a few weeks ago).

I think I need a good strength building regimen. I want to work the big muscle groups but there are exercises I'm unfamilar with (like power cleans, deadlifts, military presses). Reading about the techniques Mr. Snub's recommends kinda intimidates me too. I have this thing about doing a workout right or not doing it at all. What do you guys recommend for a barebones strength training regimen?

methos75

Banned
lil smoke said:

Other than that, I'm glad they are renovating our locker room. We pay $70 pre month for a murky moldy locker room, with CARPET that smells like someone tracked old corn chips all over the floor. The wall behind where the lockers were... was COVERED in that black fuzzy mold. Looks like even the roaches are getting their workout-on. Disgusting.

If it feels like you didn't do anything, its because you have no Mind-Muscle concentration, because by back is on fire for days after a good workout on back day.

mr stroke said:

Standing, with a barbell.

As was already mentioned, standing is a great way to work your kinetic chain and practice full body stability. I don't really like doing them with dumbbells.

JB1981 said:
Your legs recover pretty fast. I used to be so sore from my leg workouts but my body is starting to adapt to them - I feel little soreness these days and I'm actually doing more intense workouts than ever.

I am still a little afraid to go really heavy when squatting. I use the cage and I can only really do about 10 reps with 2 plates on each side (I started out a few weeks ago).

I think I need a good strength building regimen. I want to work the big muscle groups but there are exercises I'm unfamilar with (like power cleans, deadlifts, military presses). Reading about the techniques Mr. Snub's recommends kinda intimidates me too. I have this thing about doing a workout right or not doing it at all. What do you guys recommend for a barebones strength training regimen?

Once you start doing more volume/intensity, your legs won't be able to recover so easily, trust me. Why are you afraid of going heavy? As long as you're using proper form (parallel or lower!), you should be fine.

As has been stated, Starting Strength is a great barebones routine for strength. The exercises you are unfamiliar with are the BEST for developing strength. You really can't take the attitude of "perfect or not at all" because your form is ALWAYS evolving. In addition, working with a weight near your rep maximum, your form is NEVER going to be perfect. You have to live and learn and see what works. Your form will never be perfect, but by practicing and researching, it will be damned close.

Ok with it being the summer now, I find that the weather dictates alot of what I'll be do daily. To cut to the chase, when you guys find the heat/humidity zapping your strength almost what's the best course of action to combat this? I know staying well hydrated is an obvious answer but man I find it hard to hit that pavement when its 90-100 degrees outside. Other than trying to get my workouts done in the morning(when its cooler) is there anything else I'm missing?

Jirotrom

Urban Scholar said:
Ok with it being the summer now, I find that the weather dictates alot of what I'll be do daily. To cut to the chase, when you guys find the heat/humidity zapping your strength almost what's the best course of action to combat this? I know staying well hydrated is an obvious answer but man I find it hard to hit that pavement when its 90-100 degrees outside. Other than trying to get my workouts done in the morning(when its cooler) is there anything else I'm missing?
I hike, honestly I hate running, it bores me... but when I hike I have a lot of mental stimulus so I dont think about the heat.

lil smoke

Banned
methos75 said:
If it feels like you didn't do anything, its because you have no Mind-Muscle concentration, because by back is on fire for days after a good workout on back day.
Excellent point. I will keep this in mind on back days.

Tristam

OK, I'm finally ready to begin working out again. As of today I'm 5'7.5" and 130 lbs. I've got a naturally wiry, athletic build but I'm also too damn skinny (I've got thin wrists too -- is there anything you can do about those?). My freshman year of college I did gain 10 lbs. of muscle by working out 4 days a week and taking 2200 calorie shakes, but in hindsight those shakes contained over 100 g of sugar per serving (ridiculous!).

Basically I'd like to start over but this time opt for a healthier approach to gaining mass (my ultimate goal is gaining 20 to 25 lbs). There is a 900 calorie shake I'm checking out at GNC that has very little sugar (and isn't loaded with carbs either). First I would like to establish a good diet; I already avoid refined carbs and starches for other dietary reasons so I may not have to alter it that much. Capt. Glanton, GHG, et al.: how does this sound?

Breakfast: Oatmeal (+ blueberries + walnuts or almonds), Vegetable, Fruit, 2 Eggs, Milk
Lunch: Lean meat (white chicken or fish), Vegetable, Fruit, Milk
Dinner: Lean meat, Brown rice, Vegetable, Milk
Other: 900 calorie shake w/ milk and snack on almonds or walnuts between meals

As for my lifting regimen I'm pretty clueless as to what works best for building mass outside of the basic concept of high weights and low reps. My freshman year I was advised to work out four major muscle groups (arms+chest, back, shoulders, legs) over a four-day spread and that's exactly what I did. But I'm sure you guys can offer better advice! What should I do? Your help is really appreciated.

EDIT: Read the OP a couple months ago and just read it again now. Sorry about the lack of specific questions. I'll shoot a few:

-5 reps by 5 sets -- is this the magic number for most lifts? I used to do gradually decreasing reps + gradually increasing higher weights on bench through 4 sets and just do 3 sets of 10 on everything else.
-I take my shake AFTER I work out, correct?
-Should I eat dinner before or after working out?
-How many days a week should I work out? How should my lifts be spread?
-What time of day is best for working out? Usually I hear evening is (around 6 p.m.).

I think all that remains then is setting an actual regimen with specific lifts.

bjork

I just started out on a stationary bike. I did 10 miles yesterday and 10 just now. Seems like a good place to start because I get a sweat going, but I don't feel like I overworked at all. Once I get used to that, maybe I'll increase that and then add something else to it. Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom