• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
I was looking at the cereal isle today.

Can someone tell me why there is High Fructose Corn Syrup in Special K? It's marketed specifically towards women who want to lose weight.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mr stroke said:
How are you guys doing your shoulder presses?
Bar?Dumbells?seated?standing?Machine?

I generally switch between weeks, but is there a best and worst way to do them?

Standing with Barbell is usually the best feeling. Sitting with Dumbells feels as though your not working the whole shoulder area like you would feel with a Barbell (I usually just feel the middle deltoid head get worked). A machine feels as though I'm going through the motions but after I feel as though I didn't work my muscles at all.

I've come to the conclusion that, if you've done Standing Barbell Presses, you won't want to go back.

Futureman

bjork said:
I just started out on a stationary bike. I did 10 miles yesterday and 10 just now. Seems like a good place to start because I get a sweat going, but I don't feel like I overworked at all. Once I get used to that, maybe I'll increase that and then add something else to it. Baby steps.

How long does it take you to ride 10 miles?

I've been running a lot lately, doing pushups and sit ups and eating better. I like the results.

Do you guys recommend doing any specific exercises for wrist/forearms? I have pretty weak forearms and wrists. Wasn't sure if strength would just come in time or if I should give them a push.

Chichikov

DarthWufei said:
Do you guys recommend doing any specific exercises for wrist/forearms? I have pretty weak forearms and wrists. Wasn't sure if strength would just come in time or if I should give them a push.
I would only recommend them if they're absolutely limiting your other, more important exercises.
Note that many people think they have weak wrists, when in fact, they just have form problems.

Anyway, farmer walks should get your forearms strong enough for any practical purpose in no time.

p.s.
Captain Glanton will soon recommend you his special flavor of torture, DON'T DO IT, IT'S A TRAP, HE'S NOT EVEN A REAL NINJA!

Tristam

ivysaur12 said:

Can someone tell me why there is High Fructose Corn Syrup in Special K? It's marketed specifically towards women who want to lose weight.

There's also HFCS in most breads and even in those whole wheat multi-grain breads that are marketed as supremely healthy products.

Chichikov said:
I would only recommend them if they're absolutely limiting your other, more important exercises.
Note that many people think they have weak wrists, when in fact, they just have form problems.

Anyway, farmer walks should get your forearms strong enough for any practical purpose in no time.

p.s.
Captain Glanton will soon recommend you his special flavor of torture, DON'T DO IT, IT'S A TRAP, HE'S NOT EVEN A REAL NINJA!

:lol
I'd love to hear what this form of torture is...
I do have pretty weak wrists (which don't really limit my other lifts), but that's because they're also thin. I used to do wrist curls with a 50 lb. bar (reps of 20 and 3 sets IIRC). Damn did that burn! But it was a good burn. :D

I used to do farmer's walks, but my stand-in gym for the summer has next to no room anywhere to do it. I swear my gym is way too cramped.

EDIT: Yeah there is definitely a place I do have form issues with my wrists. I have an extremely hard time keeping my wrists from bending back on any bench press. Any tips?

Whats up, I'm currently attempting to gain some mass, and it seems like some of you actually know what you are talking about (Captain Glanton and others). I have been working out for around a year now for general health, but I want to add some size. I currently weigh 161 lbs and I'm 5' 9". My goal is to get around 180 lbs or higher in no set time frame.

I am a college student and currently taking summer school and working part time, but I have plenty of time to go to the gym as often as I want. The school and work only messes up my meal schedule, but its nothing I can't handle.

Meals Unfortunately I have to rely on a lot of supplements because of my schedule.

8am - 10oz skim milk w/ 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition Protein, 1 cup yogurt.
12am - Promax Bar (in class)
2pm - Brown Rice, Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich (Subway) or some other form of chicken (I'm on campus and its the best I can do).
5pm - Promax Bar (at work)
~7pm - Gym
Post Workout - 16 oz water with 4 scoops CytoGainer
~11pm - 10oz skim milk w/ 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition Protein + something from around the house

I also carry a water jug with me everywhere and eat tigers milk bars occasionally.

Workouts

Legs
Squats 8 x 4
Leg Press 8 x 4
Calf Raises (on leg press) 8 x 4
Leg Curl 8 x 4
Lunges 10 x 4

Chest
Flat Bench 8 x 4
Incline Bench 8 x 4
Cable Fly 8 x 4
Incline Fly 8 x 4

Arms
Preacher Curl (EZ bar) 8 x 4
Hammer Curl 8 x 4
Straight Bar Curl 8 x 4
Skull Crushers 8 x 4
Bent Bar Pull downs 8 x 4
Rope Pull Downs 8 x 4

Back
Deadlifts 8 x 4
Pullups 10 x 4
Rows 8 x 4
Lat Pulldowns 8 x 4
Shrugs 8 x 4

Shoulders
Military Press 8 x 4
Arnold's 8 x 4
Back Flys 8 x 4
Front Raise 8 x 4
Lateral Raise 8 x 4

Abs + Cardio (2 times a week)
30 mins on the treadmill, bike, or elliptical
Ab Supersets 2 x 10 (bicycles, leg raises, cross body crunches, leg pull in crunches, and regular crunches)
Ab Machines (weighted)
Roman Chair Leg Raises

I've done some research, but I would love to hear some of your thoughts and recommendations (especially on the diet). Also, I will try and post on this thread on a regular basis and help others out. Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
^^

I see that you eat a lot but don't actually eat any food? That's going to hurt you.

Also, why are you doing 8 sets of 4 reps? Or is it 4 reps of 8 sets?

Either way, I'd cut that down to 5x5 or 3x8 [5 sets of 5 reps or 3 sets of 8 reps] and go with more weight.

reilo said:
^^

I see that you eat a lot but don't actually eat any food? That's going to hurt you.

Also, why are you doing 8 sets of 4 reps? Or is it 4 reps of 8 sets?

Either way, I'd cut that down to 5x5 or 3x8 [5 sets of 5 reps or 3 sets of 8 reps] and go with more weight.

Yeah, the food thing is my biggest problem cause I'm in class 5 days a week from 10:30 to 2:30 and work part time as a campus bus driver, so protein bars and shakes are the easiest things to take along with me. The 8 x 4 is 8 reps and 4 sets. I used to do 10 reps for 3 sets but I decided to change it up awhile ago. Starting next week I will try doing heavier weight for 8 reps and 3 sets and see how I like it.

D

Deleted member 17693

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, couple of questions for you guys in the know how-

I'm trying to drop about 10lbs, (I weigh 180) and I've just taken my first steps towards my target. I'm currently intaking just below 2000 calories per day, and burning off an excess 600 or so by cycling for an hour in the afternoon.

You can see my fitday journal here for better understanding of my food intake these last couple of days - http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Lsharratt

My grill is busted so I only really have the option to fry or oven cook my foods- The problem with oven cooking is it takes FOREVER and I'm a busy person. How bad is this for my overall health? I try to minimize the amount of olive oil that I put in the pan, but I'm guessing it can't be doing me any favors.
I also ate a few bits of lean pork. I'm trying to gradually cut bread out altogether, and I'm going alcohol free for a month.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

ivysaur12 said:

I would guess it's the same reason Quaker started putting peanut butter in their rice cakes: People want junk food that seems like health food rather than authentic health food.

DarthWufei said:
Search the thread for "ninja warrior pullups" and ignore the haters who are just jealous of my massive forearms and back. They are actually easy to do, and you'll be using extra weight in no time.

Shiroi-San said:
Whats up, I'm currently attempting to gain some mass, and it seems like some of you actually know what you are talking about (Captain Glanton and others). I have been working out for around a year now for general health, but I want to add some size. I currently weigh 161 lbs and I'm 5' 9". My goal is to get around 180 lbs or higher in no set time frame.

I am a college student and currently taking summer school and working part time, but I have plenty of time to go to the gym as often as I want. The school and work only messes up my meal schedule, but its nothing I can't handle.

Meals Unfortunately I have to rely on a lot of supplements because of my schedule.

2pm - Brown Rice, Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich (Subway) or some other form of chicken (I'm on campus and its the best I can do).
~7pm - Gym
~11pm - 10oz skim milk w/ 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition Protein + something from around the house

I also carry a water jug with me everywhere and eat tigers milk bars occasionally.

Workouts

Legs
Squats 8 x 4
Leg Press 8 x 4
Leg Curl 8 x 4
Lunges 10 x 4

Chest
Flat Bench 8 x 4
Incline Bench 8 x 4
Cable Fly 8 x 4
Incline Fly 8 x 4

Arms
Hammer Curl 8 x 4
Straight Bar Curl 8 x 4
Skull Crushers 8 x 4
Rope Pull Downs 8 x 4

Back
Deadlifts 8 x 4
Pullups 10 x 4
Rows 8 x 4
Lat Pulldowns 8 x 4
Shrugs 8 x 4

Shoulders
Military Press 8 x 4
Arnold's 8 x 4
Back Flys 8 x 4
Front Raise 8 x 4
Lateral Raise 8 x 4

Ab Supersets 2 x 10 (bicycles, leg raises, cross body crunches, leg pull in crunches, and regular crunches)
Ab Machines (weighted)
Roman Chair Leg Raises

I've done some research, but I would love to hear some of your thoughts and recommendations (especially on the diet). Also, I will try and post on this thread on a regular basis and help others out. Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post.
Diet
I didn't add it up, but it doesn't look like you're getting enough calories [in addition to just needing more real food]. If you're serious about gaining and you're in good control of your diet, it's really okay to eat a sandwich [or half a sandwich] from Quizno's or someplace every day. And if you're pressed for time, it's easy to put a tupperware of plain tuna in your bag and eat it on the go.

Workout
I like the exercises you're doing, but I'm not a fan of bodypart splits. Some people in the thread have done well with them, but I have seen better results from upper/lower splits. I like to alternate every several months between upper/lower splits and total body.

Shiroi-San said:
~7pm - Gym

Workouts

Legs
Squats 8 x 4
Leg Press 8 x 4
Leg Curl 8 x 4
Lunges 10 x 4

Chest
Flat Bench 8 x 4
Incline Bench 8 x 4
Cable Fly 8 x 4
Incline Fly 8 x 4

Arms
Hammer Curl 8 x 4
Straight Bar Curl 8 x 4
Skull Crushers 8 x 4
Rope Pull Downs 8 x 4

Back
Deadlifts 8 x 4
Pullups 10 x 4
Rows 8 x 4
Lat Pulldowns 8 x 4
Shrugs 8 x 4

Shoulders
Military Press 8 x 4
Arnold's 8 x 4
Back Flys 8 x 4
Front Raise 8 x 4
Lateral Raise 8 x 4

Ab Machines (weighted)
Roman Chair Leg Raises

Really seems like you aren't getting enough calories and protein in your diet. If you want to get up to 180 lbs, I'd suggest consuming 180-200g of protein, daily. In addition, because a lot of your meals are supplementation, you could be missing out on essential nutrients, carbs, and fat that are also essential to growth.

How is your workout set up? When do you workout? Are you splitting everything up?

If you've read any of my posts, you know I recommend full body routines for linear progression and size/strength gains. It's the BEST way to gain overall mass, until it stops working for you--then you've reached an intermediate level and can worry about splitting shit up.

GHG

Can someone explain to me the benefits of doing a 5x5 (repsxsets) workout over a 8x3 one? I've been doing 8x3 for 2 years now and fancy switching things up a bit if it'll be of benefit.

Tristam

Capt. Glanton: do you think I'd be getting enough calories to gain an appreciable amount of mass (ultimately 25 lbs.) on the diet I posted near the top of this page?

Tristam said:
Breakfast: Oatmeal (+ blueberries + walnuts or almonds), Vegetable, Fruit, 2 Eggs, Milk
Lunch: Lean meat (white chicken or fish), Vegetable, Fruit, Milk
Dinner: Lean meat, Brown rice, Vegetable, Milk
Other: 900 calorie shake w/ milk and snack on almonds or walnuts between meals

I'd like to hear any modifications you deem necessary!

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Yo, couple of questions for you guys in the know how-

I'm trying to drop about 10lbs, (I weigh 180) and I've just taken my first steps towards my target. I'm currently intaking just below 2000 calories per day, and burning off an excess 600 or so by cycling for an hour in the afternoon.

You can see my fitday journal here for better understanding of my food intake these last couple of days - http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=Lsharratt

My grill is busted so I only really have the option to fry or oven cook my foods- The problem with oven cooking is it takes FOREVER and I'm a busy person. How bad is this for my overall health? I try to minimize the amount of olive oil that I put in the pan, but I'm guessing it can't be doing me any favors.
I also ate a few bits of lean pork. I'm trying to gradually cut bread out altogether, and I'm going alcohol free for a month.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

In reality taking less than 2000 calories and cycling for that hour 3 to 5 days a week would burn off that 10 pounds in a month tops. Works for me at least lol. If it's not try 1700 calories or less and/or upping the intensity of that cycling.

lil smoke

Banned
Olive oil is a good fat. Should be fine, but don't forget you can steam meat and veggies as well. I suggest a meat thermometer for chicken and pork to make sure they are just cooked and not overdone. Slice that meat up, toss with a little olive oil, fresh veggies, maybe throw some rice in. You can make various meals this way.

Personally I don't mind frying in olive oil. I like crust on my meats.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you can substitute a high-heat cooking spray for the olive oil for searing and save quite a few calories, if you're desperate. the pam professional for grilling can stand up to temperatures in excess of 500 degrees, so it's pretty versatile stuff.

GHG said:
Can someone explain to me the benefits of doing a 5x5 (repsxsets) workout over a 8x3 one? I've been doing 8x3 for 2 years now and fancy switching things up a bit if it'll be of benefit.

5 reps is somewhat of a neurological and muscular sweetspot in regards to power output and hypertrophy. Again, I'll post the chart:

repetitioncontinuum.jpg

D

Deleted member 17693

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for replying guys. When is the best time to do that cycle? After breakfast, lunch, or after dinner? I want to time it right to get the most out of it, but I have no idea if it makes a difference depending on after which meal I've eaten. I'm trying to eat more for breakfast and spread out smaller meals throughout the day, and ultimately have less for dinner than I usually would.

GHG

Mr. Snrub said:
5 reps is somewhat of a neurological and muscular sweetspot in regards to power output and hypertrophy. Again, I'll post the chart:

pic

Cheers.

I'll start on the 5x5 workout starting today and report back on how it goes. This shits gonna hurt :lol .

Tristam said:
Breakfast: Oatmeal (+ blueberries + walnuts or almonds), Vegetable, Fruit, 2 Eggs, Milk
Lunch: Lean meat (white chicken or fish), Vegetable, Fruit, Milk
Dinner: Lean meat, Brown rice, Vegetable, Milk
Other: 900 calorie shake w/ milk and snack on almonds or walnuts between meals

Breakfast: maybe add an egg
Lunch and Dinner: I like what you have here, but I'd add a little natural peanut butter or something on the side. It takes calories to bulk, and these meals are very lean.
900 cal shake: I'm a little dubious of getting so many calories from one shake, if it's coming out of the package like that. What brand is it? What's giving it so many calories? I'd also avoid eating so many calories before bed.

Overall, I like the nuts and the attention to fruits and vegetables. Aside from the super shake, your diet is practically a 'cutting' diet, though. It takes calories to grow, and like I said above, don't be afraid to go to a Quizno's-type place on a regular basis. If you really want to add 20 lbs of muscle, then you'll have to tolerate getting a little 'puffy cheeks' too and then drop your bodyfat back down afterward.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Thanks for replying guys. When is the best time to do that cycle? After breakfast, lunch, or after dinner? I want to time it right to get the most out of it, but I have no idea if it makes a difference depending on after which meal I've eaten. I'm trying to eat more for breakfast and spread out smaller meals throughout the day, and ultimately have less for dinner than I usually would.

I'm always told in the morning is best before breakfast. But i've also been led to assume it doesn't matter when you exercise.

lil smoke

Banned
No love for potatoes in the AM? That is if they're not drenched in oil.

I also don't understand why people feel they must avoid eating things like chicken breast, turkey for breakfast. Way better than the fatty traditional sausage, bacon and hash.

Nolan.

Sol.. said:
I'm always told in the morning is best before breakfast. But i've also been led to assume it doesn't matter when you exercise.

I think it's something a bit personal personally (I might be wrong). For me I found that I got most of my energy when I went to the gym at night like after work hours. Though recently in the mornings haven't been too bad either and it's just great for giving you that boost for the day. Also for me it's good since it makes me get it out of the way first. So that I don't get home and sit down thinking about weather to excersie or not (which usually results in not).

GHG

aznpxdd said:
What kinda fruits do you guys suggest eating?

Banana, melon, grapes, pineapple, berries, peaches and plums are genrally what I eat. Mango from time to time. The ones I've bolded are the ones that are considered 'best', although you can't really go wrong with any fruit, as long as you are eating some.

D

Deleted member 17693

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I liked bananas, but I really don't. I also find oranges and grapefruit (which I actually love) to be a hassle to eat- so I've been substituting my daily bar of chocolate with a bowl of grapes, because they are still pretty sweet but are obviously much better for you.

Another question - How important is it to cut pork/bacon out of my diet? I rarely eat either of them as it is, but I don't see how a piece of lean bacon could really be THAT bad for you.

I wish I liked bananas, but I really don't. I also find oranges and grapefruit (which I actually love) to be a hassle to eat- so I've been substituting my daily bar of chocolate with a bowl of grapes, because they are still pretty sweet but are obviously much better for you.

Another question - How important is it to cut pork/bacon out of my diet? I rarely eat either of them as it is, but I don't see how a piece of lean bacon could really be THAT bad for you.
But you must ask yourself, how GOOD is it for me?

yoda.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
Can someone give me a crash course in dieting? I'm just trying to eat healthier while gaining a little muscle, not really that much.

I've tried to do as much research as possible over the past couple of months, but I can't find anything that good. Especially when I go back for college next semester, the caf food is not the best health wise.

I know some basic stuff, but I'm just was looking for a more concrete diet. Also, what is the consensus on whole wheat pasta?

lil smoke

Banned
Lean white meat pork and bacon are 2 different things.

ivysaur12 said:
I know some basic stuff, but I'm just was looking for a more concrete diet. Also, what is the consensus on whole wheat pasta?
Gross IMO. Grainy, chewy, tastes like cardboard...

ivysaur12

Banned
lil smoke said:
Lean white meat pork and bacon are 2 different things.

Gross IMO. Grainy, chewy, tastes like cardboard...

Oh, no, I love it (especially the thin spaghetti), I was just wondering what the health consensus is.

Struct09

ivysaur12 said:

While it's generally a smart idea to avoid foods that contain it, HFCS doesn't have any magical anti-weight loss properties. It provides the same amount of calories per gram as your typical sugar and carbohydrate does.

The main controversy behind HFCS is how it's produced and possible health side effects, although nothing has been proven. If you gain weight from HFCS, it would be for the same reason you gain weight off of anything - over consumption of calories.

ivysaur12 said:
Oh, no, I love it (especially the thin spaghetti), I was just wondering what the health consensus is.
Whole wheat pasta > regular pasta. But don't overdo it. I've had much better luck cooking whole wheat rotini [or any of the spiral/shell stuff] than I have whole wheat spaghetti, which just turns into mush when I try it.

D

Deleted member 17693

Unconfirmed Member
Captain Glanton said:
Only so long as you understand that a bacon sandwich would be your cheat meal for the week.

If I ever cook bacon, it would be to go on top of a piece of chicken or in a burger, and I'm going to stop eating the latter altogether! I'm throwing white bread out the window as well, plus cutting down on tomato sauce. I think I'll just eliminate bacon altogether then. For what it's worth though, I never eat the fat.

Keldor

Anybody have any thoughts on the Keto diet? I understand it works, but is it healthy or worth the trouble over just doing a 40/40/20 diet?

If I ever cook bacon, it would be to go on top of a piece of chicken or in a burger, and I'm going to stop eating the latter altogether! I'm throwing white bread out the window as well, plus cutting down on tomato sauce. I think I'll just eliminate bacon altogether then. For what it's worth though, I never eat the fat.
If you want to have a bacon cheeseburger on Saturdays or something like that, it's fine. Just be careful with it.

Mr. Snrub said:
Yes, but how many pieces of bacon are we talking about here?
Just two.

good-morning-burger.gif

GHG

I just completed an Arms and Back session using the 5x5 method and OMG, I feel like I'm going to explode :lol . My arms haven't had a workout like that in years. The final set of the 5 is such a killer, every rep is a struggle.

ManDudeChild said:
I try to avoid these fitness threads,

We love you anyway.

God's Beard said:
I was reading a women's health site and they said that dark chocolate is good for you if you have a little bit every once in a while. Is that true? Can I have delicious delicious dark chocolate and still cut the fat?
Go ahead and eat it for the few weeks that it lasts. Then they'll change it to "dark chocolate makes you fat, white chocolate makes you lean." These things run in cycles.

I was reading a women's health site and they said that dark chocolate is good for you if you have a little bit every once in a while. Is that true? Can I have delicious delicious dark chocolate and still cut the fat?

Greg

Fuck, I really don't know what to do...

I've been doing a 3x8 for a while, but it's at the point now where with things like curls, as I'm nearing 6 or 7 reps, it really doesn't feel too good on my body. If I drop it back to the previous weight (working with a machine, so it only goes in increments of 10) I can do 12+ and it feels really good.

It's not that I can't lift the heavier weight (the arms feel fine when I get up there in reps, which makes me worry I'm not really working much out), but everything else tells me I should stop.

Should I keep the weight dropped for a while and do more reps, or just struggle reaching the reps with the higher weight?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Greg said:
it really doesn't feel too good on my body.

Can you expand upon this? What exactly do you feel? You should probably take a break, maybe one or two days at minimum. Have you been working out several days in a row?

What is your post workout intake like? Are you eating lots of protein/carbs after your workout? You need to give your body the essentials so it can repair itself and get ready for the next round.

Struct09

Futureman said:
Yea but Special K is marketed as a healthy cereal. Why not use a healthy (or at least more natural) alternative to HFCS?

Because your average Joe (or Jane?) won't care, and HFCS is a dirt cheap ingredient. Also, it hasn't been proven that HFCS is "unhealthy", it's just an ingredient that's commonly used in excess (such as drinking a lot of soda).

There's a lot of products that pass themselves off as "healthy" but use suspect ingredients, just take a look at what Subway bread is made from if you want another example.

Greg

RSTEIN said:
Can you expand upon this? What exactly do you feel? You should probably take a break, maybe one or two days at minimum. Have you been working out several days in a row?

What is your post workout intake like? Are you eating lots of protein/carbs after your workout? You need to give your body the essentials so it can repair itself and get ready for the next round.
Been working out every other day for about 4 months, and although I don't eat as much as I should, the pains I notice aren't things that prevent me from working out... I just do too many reps of the previous weight, and not what I want to be doing on my current weight. It's like I'm ready for a heavier weight, but increments of 10 are too much.

I don't know - for example, when I'm doing curls my arms aren't tired but the inside of my elbow bothers me when I near my 8 reps. If I drop to my previous weight I'm fine, but it takes 12+ reps to feel the good burn.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
lol is bacon really that bad?

about once every 10 days or so i go to the corner store and get a breakfast sandwhich. I'm not really a breakfast guy but sometimes i'm just really hungry cuz i work out at night and sometimes if i have a light dinner that fucks everything up. Anyways, usually i get like two pieces of bacon on a egg and wheat bread. For some reason this day the lady decided to pile on like 6 pieces. It was crazy. BUT SOOOOOOOO good.

that was the start of a really good day that led to me winning 150 bucks on two consecutive lottery tickets.

long story short. Eating massive amounts of bacon makes you win the lottery.

tell your kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom